Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Take a look at Monitors, the new Minder variant. They are a high volume, low energy shot unit intended to counter stuff that is low armour but high dp/evasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Like that bloody Medusa, that thing sets me on edge. Thank god for Rapiers.

We're running out second DZC League down here in Cardiff from next week, so I've started playing around with lists. Might run this for the first week:

Standard Army
Skirmish: 849/850 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [849/850 pts]
    • Field Command [334 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
      • Kodiak: Kodiak(Lieutenant) [168 pts]
    • Armored Formation[221 pts]
      • Katana Squad: 3x Katana [111 pts]
      • Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [88 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [88 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [88 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A(+Missile Pods) [88 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [118 pts]
      • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [118 pts]

I think the Eagle may be becoming my crutch piece in this game, it's so drat good. :v: I could run a Ferrum but that feels really lame.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ugleb posted:

Take a look at Monitors, the new Minder variant. They are a high volume, low energy shot unit intended to counter stuff that is low armour but high dp/evasive.

Oh wow, 36" R(f) and four shots per. I think I might swap one squad of Minders for them. That may or may not leave me slightly low on AA, though. Hmm.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think many Scourge players will have that dilemma! Monitors bring Scourge a low energy weight of fire option they have been lacking... But everyone loves that cheap AA cloud... ;)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

I think many Scourge players will have that dilemma! Monitors bring Scourge a low energy weight of fire option they have been lacking... But everyone loves that cheap AA cloud... ;)

Yeah, it's a hard one, the self destruct gives them some teeth, but AA is so nice.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've been demo days with a couple starter sets assembled and painted of scourge and PHR. People are looking to move into 1000 and 1500 point games, so I am wondering what order I should queue stuff up in for lists. I have just about all the models in the range for PHR and Scourge (pre-the new ones anyway), so any must-haves for games like this in those two forces I should make sure I assemble and paint asap so they are available? I figure a Zeus and Odin for PHR are a no brainer, but other than that I am not sure what I should have at the ready for either army.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just wondering, are you a Hawk Talon? Are these demo game players expecting you to provide all the models they'll play up to 1500 points? If so I'd be suggesting they get and build their own models...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I applied to be a talon about a month ago, haven't heard back.

Right now, I am trying to get people to buy the game. The flgs is willing to start carrying the game once it has at least a small following, so I am trying to get it to that level so more people will start buying their own forces. I've gotten at least 3 of them to start picking up stuff after doing 2 demo days, but it certainly doesn't help that the only 2 game stores in Philadelphia, both owned by the same people, don't carry it in house yet.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Helios, Medusa and Valkyries are highly popular strong units.

Phobos are your mainstay AA unless you go heavy on Helios so don't forget them either.

Non-odin Type 2 walkers seem a bit out of favour right now for whatever reasons. Personally I have been playing with my Hades/Nemesis a lot so don't have room for more heavy walkers after that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Errata update is live: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Rules_Update_to_Reconquest_Rulebook_2016.pdf?7966352950210704584

Snipers get Infiltrate (18)!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Hmm so if I'm reading correctly Erebos ECM now stacks and manslayer cannons gained strafe so will be more effective against stuff like technicals. Interesting! I was thinking about building them into another list...

Edit - manslayers also gain 1 shot on both fire modes, so more chance of dealing damage too!

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 21, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I picked up Wade earlier, gently caress me that's a big gun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I picked up Wade earlier, gently caress me that's a big gun.

I'm hoping Reconquest 2 will have rules for the generic versions of that and the Hera.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Working on some models from missing parts blisters/miscast blisters for our store:

PHR ones are on but haven't taken a picture of them yet. Going to mount these on some more irregular shaped plasticard or foam board next and sculpt some wrecks/earth up around them, so some are submerged. The Shaltari walkers have come out really well I think...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Crossposting from the Oath thread:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I found some youtube battle reports for Dropfleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyFB-ES_Uw
Those guys have a few more.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

I found some youtube battle reports for Dropfleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECyFB-ES_Uw
Those guys have a few more.

He is still complaining about Scourge I see... :P

EDIT: Oh course Scourge are accurate, they have the some of the least number of shots per weight class in the game! They kind of play like the dropzone (low shots, high power).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 25, 2016

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Here's a dumb question:
The Raven A consists of two major parts: the airplane itself and a sort of tiny APC thing (that I assume holds the infantry who are embarked). Does that tiny APC thing have any role in play? I was thinking of leaving it unglued, so I could tell if a Raven A's troops have disembarked by removing it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TerraGoetia posted:

Here's a dumb question:
The Raven A consists of two major parts: the airplane itself and a sort of tiny APC thing (that I assume holds the infantry who are embarked). Does that tiny APC thing have any role in play? I was thinking of leaving it unglued, so I could tell if a Raven A's troops have disembarked by removing it.

The main concern would be that I think the flight peg attachment point is on the bottom of the troop bay.

I just paint a color tag on the dropship and the troops that matches so I can check visually what's deployed and what isn't.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I attended a scale model convention on the weekend and managed to get some brass barrels. Being able to look at them in person was a huge help in judging the size and i bet i would have ordered the wrong ones if i had tried over the internet.

Here's a first rough prototype of a falcon module, i'll probably tone down the gun body as well as the ammo drum a bit and tweak the optics module but overall i think i'll stick with the basic idea. And it says tank-killer much more clearly than twin gatlings :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah, that is pretty cool. Definitely looks like something that would punch holes in my PHR walkers!

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

wdarkk posted:

The main concern would be that I think the flight peg attachment point is on the bottom of the troop bay.

I just paint a color tag on the dropship and the troops that matches so I can check visually what's deployed and what isn't.

Thank you, that's a good idea! I just bought the starter box today as an early birthday gift to myself. So far, the models themselves go together wonderfully... but I already snapped a flying stick. The combination of hard plastic that's also brittle meant trying to file a bit of sprue off the top broke the darn thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Scourge cruiser sprue pictures are up on the kickstarter. Get your highlighting brushes ready.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

quote:

Our mission to hire more staff is going well, and we hope to be able to communicate a lot more frequently over the coming weeks!

This is the most exciting part of the newsletter :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

This is the most exciting part of the newsletter :v:

No loving kidding.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I don't know if anyone is in this neck of the woods but Wayland Games, who are kind of a big player in the UK wargame selling business, are running a Hawk Open Day tomorrow at their Southend store. It's going to have Dropzone demo games, a mini campaign and so on and there's the possibility Dropfleet stuff will be there to wonder at.

This is the event page (For some reason they don't list events at their smaller store on their website to my knowledge, only Facebook).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It's too bad, because of their terrible stock system I'm never dealing with them again and neither is anyone I know.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

First game of our league last night, I got to be that guy by taking Katanas/Eagle at an 850pt game.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bob Smith posted:

I don't know if anyone is in this neck of the woods but Wayland Games, who are kind of a big player in the UK wargame selling business, are running a Hawk Open Day tomorrow at their Southend store. It's going to have Dropzone demo games, a mini campaign and so on and there's the possibility Dropfleet stuff will be there to wonder at.

This is the event page (For some reason they don't list events at their smaller store on their website to my knowledge, only Facebook).

I game at the bigger Wayland games centre weekly and there was zero mention of this at all there. FFS.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

It's too bad, because of their terrible stock system I'm never dealing with them again and neither is anyone I know.

I think my entire family want to veto buying from there after I put a bunch of stuff on an Amazon wish list linking to them and most of their orders were weeks if not months late.

I've given up on them unless it is much cheaper and I don't care about waiting

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Well, I went to the event today and it wasn't all that. There were a couple of really helpful Hawk guys who gave me some pointers on expanding my UCM force, but the attendees were mostly the regulars at the store hanging about.

They sold a lot of models though, although they had very little UCM stock so all I left with was the special character Ferrum (which I will use as a regular Ferrum most of the time).

I played in the starter box league and it went OK. First round was against a Hawk rep's PHR, and I won quite decisively. Then I lost horribly to a Shaltari player whose strategy was "mob up all my infantry and mass Gate them into any building my opponent challenges to wipe out his guys", and lost a very tense game to a PHR player because my guys decided finding objectives was just too difficult (out of numerous search rolls over 5 turns I passed one, in turn 6).

I came home with a little UCM dogtag which is quite nice.

They had a few Dropfleet resin models to show off, but none of the rules or plastics so all we could do was admire them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Any thoughts on taking Condors with Scimitars? they seem pretty ideal to just drive on and leave there, but I'm kind of thinking that I may end up with 100pts of models just sat staring at a lane if my opponent decides "gently caress that".

Curious on how good Rapiers are without a Condor too, kind of want to try them just driving on and being a firebase at the back but that seems hella expensive and slow.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
So I've been putting together the starter box, and... I think I made a grave mistake. I put together the Sabres and Rapiers, and... they don't fit on the Condors. Their turrets stick up too high! The "how to assemble" instructions made it seem like I should glue them in that position, and they didn't have a tight fit to just pop the railgun, arm, and turret rotator together. (And the AA gun didn't look like it would stay in if I didn't glue it).

I really like the idea of the units fitting into their transport. How the hell do I fix this?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

UCM are the hardest to do it with I think, but if you dig back in this thread someone did manage it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One thing to remember with the UCM drop ships is that the flight stand passes through where one of the tanks would be carried. It involves a ton of work, but, yes, someone has done it in this thread. I just don't think it's worth the effort for most people.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

TerraGoetia posted:

So I've been putting together the starter box, and... I think I made a grave mistake. I put together the Sabres and Rapiers, and... they don't fit on the Condors. Their turrets stick up too high! The "how to assemble" instructions made it seem like I should glue them in that position, and they didn't have a tight fit to just pop the railgun, arm, and turret rotator together. (And the AA gun didn't look like it would stay in if I didn't glue it).

I really like the idea of the units fitting into their transport. How the hell do I fix this?

I actually articulated two of my sabres before deciding it was a silly idea - dry fit the turret components then carefully drilled holes through, then stuck flat-head brass pins from my wife's beading supplies through. Plus the Sabre turrets are all magnetised for removal/pew-pew noises. Then I gave up on that, so the rapiers (and the third sabre) just have magnetised turrets (really easy) so you can remove the turrets for when they're in the dropship.

The bigger issue is that the middle tank blocks the flight stand, so I've glued a magnet on the top of it, which attaches fairly well to the turret magnet of the central tank. Unfortunately I screwed up the 2mm magnets on the sides of the tanks a little, so they're slightly skew, but you get the picture.

PHR of course have it far easier - I actually had to drill and magnetise the clamps on the Condor while they were still on the sprue.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I magnetised my UCM: I drilled standholes in the undersides of a handful of Sabres and Rapiers and designated them "stand tanks". Mix one into every squad on a Condor, works perfectly.

Now the Albatross...that's trouble. I have a special "Albatross stand tank" just in case I ever want to run a 9-tank brick drop, but I've got no illusions it would ever actually work.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Any thoughts on taking Condors with Scimitars? they seem pretty ideal to just drive on and leave there, but I'm kind of thinking that I may end up with 100pts of models just sat staring at a lane if my opponent decides "gently caress that".

Curious on how good Rapiers are without a Condor too, kind of want to try them just driving on and being a firebase at the back but that seems hella expensive and slow.

Scimitars work well driving on, but be careful where you set them up and remember that anything driving on gets to fire the same turn. I've had opponents drive the scimis on early then I put my Nemesis down and snipe them off.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They wouldn't be bad at doing that themselves either come to think of it.

My list has exactly 31pts spare, I could either deck stuff out with missiles or give them a redeploy Condor. Can I still drive them on and have the Condor fly on for later redeployment if I do take them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Can I still drive them on and have the Condor fly on for later redeployment if I do take them?

Under Transports in the BRB:

"If you choose transports for a Squad, that Squad automatically begins the game inside the transports. If these transports are aircraft, then the Squad will start the game in Readiness or Reserve in the same way as other aircraft."