Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Atomizer posted:

Skull Canyon NUCs are available to preorder on Newegg again gogogo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102166

:shobon:

I don't know... it's got skulls on it.

Atomizer, are we the baddies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't know... it's got skulls on it.

Atomizer, are we the baddies?

IIRC, it comes with an extra plate to replace the skull logo if you don't like it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IIRC, it comes with an extra plate to replace the skull logo if you don't like it.
:goonsay: :eng99: :downs:

There's no loving way I'm spending this much money on a tiny unnecessary PC and not using the skull cover! :colbert:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Atomizer posted:

:goonsay: :eng99: :downs:

There's no loving way I'm spending this much money on a tiny unnecessary PC and not using the skull cover! :colbert:

I showed my GF the mini-PC and she agreed exactly with that sentiment.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Good thing they never made a product with an even more evil and off-putting name, such as Devil's Canyon!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

SpelledBackwards posted:

Good thing they never made a product with an even more evil and off-putting name, such as Devil's Canyon!

Or Skulltrail.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Umm... Baddie checking in to say I will most definitely be going with the skull lid. Although I am curious about the "support for 3rd party lids" that is mentioned in the adds for it. It seems like an odd thing to mention if they didn't have something lined up already.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

nostrata posted:

Umm... Baddie checking in to say I will most definitely be going with the skull lid. Although I am curious about the "support for 3rd party lids" that is mentioned in the adds for it. It seems like an odd thing to mention if they didn't have something lined up already.

Eh, I think it'd be weird if there was an aftermarket for covers for a single, high-priced NUC. Unless of course this is the form factor they're moving forward with.

Even then, I think the "support" just refers to the fact that it's easy to change covers, so if anyone bothers to make them it's a simple swap.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
All of the NUCs have had replaceable lids for last coulpe generations.

Intel just releases the 3d printer files that people can download and use as they wish. I imagine they'll probably add the Skull Trail NUC files closer to release.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Intel killing Atom for mobile devices.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

That sucks, I was looking forward to mini-PCs (eg the ECS Liva series) featuring those processors. The high-end Cherrytrail would have been pretty fantastic for that.

I have a couple mini-PCs based on Baytrail-M and they are fantastic for Ubuntu Server use. Built-in eMMC, wifi, USB 3.0, GigE, a GPU that will drive 4K@30hz, etc. They are basically a Raspberry Pi done properly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 30, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Been running a small home server using bay trail (J1800) for the past 2 years here, too. Great value for money and tiny power consumption. Disappointing news.

I guess (hope) something will come along and fill the gap for when I feel like an upgrade. Not that I feel the need yet: it's probably the best electronic hardware I've ever bought, and I've wasted a fair bit of money over the past x years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well it sounds like they aren't killing all of Atom, so maybe they show up in NUC.bis applications? I prefer to be hopeful.

Also glad that I don't have to worry about x86 on Android.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Apollo Lake is the next generation low-power x86 architecture, so there's still that for ultra-SFF devices and whatnot.

Wonder what's going to happen to Avoton, though :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Isn't this what's in Microsoft phones?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't this what's in Microsoft phones?

Nah, Snapdragons in their recent Lumia stuff: https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia950-xl/specifications/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think Tab8715 is referring to a phone that only made it to the rumor phase:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3063672/windows/the-death-of-intels-atom-casts-a-dark-shadow-over-the-rumored-surface-phone.html

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It sounds like they are specifically killing pushing for phones. x86 Windows tablets still sell, especially at the low end, and that hardware would work for Android too. Just a bit more power hungry.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

feedmegin posted:

It sounds like they are specifically killing pushing for phones. x86 Windows tablets still sell, especially at the low end, and that hardware would work for Android too. Just a bit more power hungry.

The article sounds like they are ignoring the low end garbage tablets (like the ones that used to contra revenue) and focusing on hybrids and 2-1s which have nice margins. Basically forget about that $100 ASUS tablet, go buy a nice Surface Pro

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009
The strategy for countering ARM was always twofold: one the one hand growing the core processors down, by making them more energy efficient, and on the other hand growing atom up by making it more powerful. They have been pretty successful in the first part, and probably feel that they can cover the tablet/hybrid range without atom. That leaves atom for phones, which does indeed seem a lost battle. So they are just giving up on the second part of the strategy.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

The article sounds like they are ignoring the low end garbage tablets (like the ones that used to contra revenue) and focusing on hybrids and 2-1s which have nice margins. Basically forget about that $100 ASUS tablet, go buy a nice Surface Pro
We'll still have really low cost processors in the form of Apollo Lake though, those will still be used in cheaper models.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

But it does hurt the prospect of an x86-powered Surface phone and supports the recent rumors that the Surface phone will be powered by a Snapdragon 830 instead.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it looks like my dream of a x86 phone will never happen. I guess at this point with the windows mobile failure it doesn't matter so much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can already get an Asus Zenphone right now. Somebody just needs to make it run the desktop Win10 so that continuum is actually useful.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

You can already get an Asus Zenphone right now. Somebody just needs to make it run the desktop Win10 so that continuum is actually useful.

Huh, I somehow missed that phone entirely. Still, yeah it has to run desktop windows 10. :/

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

redeyes posted:

Huh, I somehow missed that phone entirely. Still, yeah it has to run desktop windows 10. :/

The Lumia 950 will give you a real Windows 10 desktop in Continuum.

If by "desktop Windows 10" you want something that can run Win32 apps or whatever, though, that was never going to happen, even on some hypothetical Atom-powered Surface Phone. Microsoft's "Windows everywhere" strategy means that you get a similar kernel and set of base APIs everywhere, not that you'll be able to boot up Word 97 and Quake 3 on your HoloLens and phone. The kernel and CPU architecture are only two small parts of a huge backwards-compatibility stack that they were never going to develop.

See also: all the people who got so mad when Windows on the Raspberry Pi turned out to be exactly the IoT-focused platform MSFT had advertised, rather than a complete desktop system.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

x86 on the phone lost a bunch of steam once Flash died. Seriously, back when Intel was pushing MIDs the "full" internet was the only counter whenever someone brought up the iPhone

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

He said "what's in" their phones, which would imply existing models rather than rumors. The Lumias are the MS phones that came to mind.

Edward IV posted:

But it does hurt the prospect of an x86-powered Surface phone and supports the recent rumors that the Surface phone will be powered by a Snapdragon 830 instead.

I wasn't addressing that though. If anything I think it's a little odd that Asus went with the Atoms in the aforementioned Zenfones and MS never even tried when it certainly could have.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The newest Zenfones (Laser) don't even use x86 anymore

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hope all the other Intel goons survived this lovely week as well :unsmith:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Someone kind of already has. That is if your idea of running full Windows on a phone involves running Windows via hardware virtualization running on Linux which is running alongside Android.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone2/general/zf2-running-windows-7-using-kvm-t3153299

Atomizer posted:

I wasn't addressing that though. If anything I think it's a little odd that Asus went with the Atoms in the aforementioned Zenfones and MS never even tried when it certainly could have.

Android is already capable of running natively on x86 processors while Windows Phone has always strictly been designed for Qualcomm chips. So Asus had a lot less work than Microsoft to make Intel-powered phones. With Windows 10 Mobile, it is now, supposedly, capable of running on x86 chips. I say supposedly because it looks like Microsoft recently removed x86 SoCs from the list of supported processors for Phones.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn915086(v=vs.85).aspx (See Table 2)
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-confirms-required-specifications-windows-10-mobile (Copy of original table)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's nothing "supposedly". It runs on the NT kernel since Windows Phone 8.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If I'm looking to boost my CPU from an i5-4670k, I see that pricing, the i7 haswell and i7 skylake are basically the same. Benchmarks seem to show they're generally the samish too, is the skylake really not worth getting?

The skylake would require a new mobo as well as I'm running an H97 plus atm, but I've got to get a mobo for my parents pc in 12-18 months regardless, so that's not much of an issue.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Skylake's biggest advances over Haswell frankly were not in the performance department, but in the features and chipset. What is it that you feel the urge to boost your CPU for, anyhow?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

If I'm looking to boost my CPU from an i5-4670k, I see that pricing, the i7 haswell and i7 skylake are basically the same. Benchmarks seem to show they're generally the samish too, is the skylake really not worth getting?

The skylake would require a new mobo as well as I'm running an H97 plus atm, but I've got to get a mobo for my parents pc in 12-18 months regardless, so that's not much of an issue.

Skylake is the usual <5% IPC improvement generation-on-generation that we've been getting lately. For most applications that means a one-generation gain is indistinguishable outside of benchmarks. Of course going from 4-core to a 4-core hyperthreaded processor will get you some noticeable gains.

If you're using a K-series processor you should consider getting a motherboard with a Z-series chipset so you can overclock it. Skylake would also require new DDR4 memory - DDR3 isn't technically compatible, it may work or the extra voltage may damage the memory controller.

The other thing is that the 5820K is typically priced the same as a 4790K nowadays. They don't overclock quite as well but they still go quite far, and you get 6C 12T instead of 4C 8T.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Skylake would also require new DDR4 memory - DDR3 isn't technically physically compatible, the notch pattern is different.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The other thing is that the 5820K is typically priced the same as a 4790K nowadays. They don't overclock quite as well but they still go quite far, and you get 6C 12T instead of 4C 8T.
If you are looking for anything other than the absolute best single-thread performance, this 5820k is a hell of a buy. Almost all of them can easily hit 4.5Ghz, which ain't far off from the 4.7Ghz you can expect to hit with a 6700k, and as Paul noted, more cores and almost double the cache (15MB vs 8MB). X99 motherboards are a bit on the expensive side, but you can get used ones for about the same price as a reasonably featured Skylake board--there just aren't any <$100 budget X99 boards. Draws a good bit more power, though, so I hope your heatsink is up to the task.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

If you are looking for anything other than the absolute best single-thread performance, this 5820k is a hell of a buy. Almost all of them can easily hit 4.5Ghz, which ain't far off from the 4.7Ghz you can expect to hit with a 6700k, and as Paul noted, more cores and almost double the cache (15MB vs 8MB). X99 motherboards are a bit on the expensive side, but you can get used ones for about the same price as a reasonably featured Skylake board--there just aren't any <$100 budget X99 boards. Draws a good bit more power, though, so I hope your heatsink is up to the task.

There are DDR3L Skylake motherboards though, and my understanding is that the notch pattern is the same as DDR3. However it's intended to run at 1.35V like DDR4, and while you can physically insert it Skylake's memory controller isn't meant to handle 1.5V and may burn out. Some people have tried it and said it works but I don't trust the longevity of overvolting a memory controller like that, and if it burns out your CPU will be dead since it's on the processor in Skylake.

The other thing about Haswell-E is that even the 5820K gets you up to 28 PCIe lanes (the 5930K and 5960X are a full 40 lanes), while Haswell is limited to 16 and Skylake is limited to 16+4 (I think it has 4 extra through the PCH for M.2). If you SLI each card needs 8 lanes, so with Haswell/Skylake you are instantly full on PCIe lanes, whereas Haswell-E has some extra slack there. On the downside it's an older chipset that doesn't have niceties like USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt, so you'll be using some lanes for addon cards if you want those.

X99 motherboards do periodically go on sale. A month or so ago you could get a Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI for like $135 AR bundled with a USB 3.1 addon board and a code for MMO stuff you could sell. That's not too bad in my book. Keep an eye on PcPartsPicker.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 1, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are DDR3L Skylake motherboards though, and my understanding is that the notch pattern is the same as DDR3.
You are correct, but if you're already buying a $300+ CPU and a $150+ motherboard, trying to skimp on $50 of RAM seems silly, regardless of potential longevity issues.

Yeah, overall the 5820k is a wonderful chip and a great option for anyone who is considering higher-end setups. The new Broadwell-E chips that should be coming out soon should also be compatible (after BIOS update) with existing X99 boards, so if anything that should push the prices down even more.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

You are correct, but if you're already buying a $300+ CPU and a $150+ motherboard, trying to skimp on $50 of RAM seems silly, regardless of potential longevity issues.

Yeah, overall the 5820k is a wonderful chip and a great option for anyone who is considering higher-end setups. The new Broadwell-E chips that should be coming out soon should also be compatible (after BIOS update) with existing X99 boards, so if anything that should push the prices down even more.

Okay, I really haven't done any CPU research in a long time, and google really isn't helping that much, but why is the 5820k better than a 6700k? 3.3ghz vs 4?

A new mobo is required for both, it's $50 of ram for DDR4 for the skylake setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Okay, I really haven't done any CPU research in a long time, and google really isn't helping that much, but why is the 5820k better than a 6700k? 3.3ghz vs 4?
Stock speeds, it's not, and unless you're doing some heavily multi-threaded work, will lose hands down in pretty much every other performance metric. The important part is that k sitting on the end of the number, meaning it's overclockable. You can reasonably expect the vast majority of 5820k's to be able to overclock to 4.5GHz without much effort. Similarly, you can expect to be able to overclock a 6700k to 4.7GHz. So the 6700k is still slightly faster in single-core performance, but not by much. The 5820k also has an extra 1/2MB of cache for each core, but has two extra physical cores, which is always nice to have. As Paul discussed, they have more PCIe lanes enabled, which doesn't matter much if you only ever plan on a single GPU, but if you were considering multi-GPU at any point, it's nice to have. Price-wise they're generally about the same.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

A new mobo is required for both, it's $50 of ram for DDR4 for the skylake setup?
Both the 6700k and 5820k motherboards require DDR4 (oddball DDR3L Skylake boards nonwithstanding), which the days is no more expensive than DDR3; you should be able to get 8GB for <$50. <$40 if you get a sale or coupon.