Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

dr_rat posted:

Dukes spirtes weren't great but they weren't what ever the hell quakes enemies were (mostly oddly angular brownish blobs).

I just can't get mad at Quake, it was the first of its kind in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AdmiralViscen posted:

I played the poo poo out of Doom 2 as a kid when it was new, and it was only a couple years ago that I realized that those levels were supposed to be on earth. The subtitle never clicked with me.

Like many, I just played the poo poo out of E1 of Doom as a kid because my parents wouldn't buy me violent videogames and I had no money, but Knee-deep was shareware.

I played Heretic and Dark Forces and even Quake before I actually got to play episode 2 of Doom much less Doom 2, and I never seemed to like the levels in Doom 2 as much as E 3, 4 and even 5 from Doom 1, so I played those more instead.

I only really went back and played Doom 2 properly a few years ago. Its kinda cool what they were going for, but the city levels don't really feel like a city at all. Doom's best strength was it was so abstract they could just make random techbase or hell rooms and put them together and it was fun, but trying to do realistic maps in doom isn't easy.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah, I think only Hellbound managed to do decent city levels. One of the best Doom wads out there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

khwarezm posted:

I just can't get mad at Quake, it was the first of its kind in many ways.

Oh no doubt. It was trying something new and some sacrifices had to be made to get everything to work on the computers at the time. The sprite games had a pretty big advantage with working on per-existing technology that people had been around for ages and had lots of experience with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, I think only Hellbound managed to do decent city levels. One of the best Doom wads out there.

The first few levels of Going Down are pretty good too, and I want to say there's another but I forget which WAD... but those are things people figured out years later using more advanced engines, back in the Id days of Doom any attempt at a realistic level was generally pretty crappy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

The first few levels of Going Down are pretty good too, and I want to say there's another but I forget which WAD... but those are things people figured out years later using more advanced engines, back in the Id days of Doom any attempt at a realistic level was generally pretty crappy.

You could always make a half decent wearhouse full of boxes. :geno:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If it isn't already a mode on launch, one of the first things I'm going to do with this game is to try and create some kind of survival mode where dead players return as demons; ala AVP's infestation mode. Throw in some AI mooks and incentives to keep the marine players from crowding into a dead-end and I think I could have something vaguely playable a-brewin'.

Only problem is that I can't decide whether I should call the mode "You are the demons" or "And then John was a zombie"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As shown by the examples already cited, it's entirely possible to make halfway-verisimilitudinous city environments in Doom, but it does require some cultivated knowledge of how to do so via sectors and textures. It's definitely not the sort of job you give to Sandy Petersen or even John Romero in 1994.

The Doom 2 "city" maps that have best stood the test of time, visually-- I'm thinking MAP14 and MAP15 here, for example-- still really only do so if you ignore the fact that they're trying to be a city, IMO. Industrial Zone would have worked better thematically if you replaced the grass with cracked hellish rock and gave it a hell sky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Al-Saqr posted:

maybe it's because doom 1 & 2 came out in 1993-94 when people mostly had VGA graphics while Duke Nukem came out in 1996 when 3D actually started gaining traction?

Also, the only "realistic" parts the Doom team was ever interested in was having a "realistic" future-sci-fi-base thing and then onlyduring early development under the original Doom Bible ideas. And that would only stay "realistic" at all for the first episode or so of the original 5 or 6 planned, because you'd quickly get all the hell influence.

They probably could have designed areas as realistic as Duke 3D levels if they really wanted to, but that was just completely out of the setting they were using.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Chez Quest episodes 2 and 3 did "real world in the doom engine" locations a lot better than Doom 2 ever did. In many ways it predated what Duke3D achieved with creating a real world environment in a 2.5d fps.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zzulu posted:

duke nukem was better than doom
"Power armor is for pussies."

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Poil posted:

"Power armor is for pussies."

Duke then proceeds to hide behind a wall waiting for his ego to recharge for most of the game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rocket Pan posted:

Duke then proceeds to hide behind a wall waiting for his ego to recharge for most of the game.

Not true, he died a lot and enjoyed the luxurious load times instead! Actually it is funny/interesting watching people stream Brutal Doom and play it like a modern shooter, hiding all the time etc. At least I saw a couple streams do that. The modern gamer is a cautious gamer.

On the Duke vs Doom thing, I liked how John Romero said how he really loved Duke 3D and how it was pretty much the best game all around he'd ever seen. In a recent long European interview video that was linked around here. And of course, 3DR has pointed out the obvious that Doom was their main inspiration. They're all friends. And of course, a couple people worked on both Doom and Duke, Bobby Prince for example. And Quake's awesome Scourge of Armagon has Levelord of Duke 3D fame, and stuff.

I think the better question, is whachu gonna do brother, when Doom, Duke, and Quake run wild on you??

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 1, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Kick an imp in the nuts, flip it off, tell it to "GO gently caress YOURSELF", and then blast its head off with a shotgun.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

Kick an imp in the nuts, flip it off, tell it to "GO gently caress YOURSELF", and then blast its head off with a shotgun.

This. This is Doom right here. Who gives a poo poo about much else, just do this.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Honky Dong Country posted:

This. This is Doom right here. Who gives a poo poo about much else, just do this.

Let me tell you about something called 'Brutal Doom'.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Doom did have wall hiding, it's just didn't last long. Two seconds behind a wall, then back out after the chaingunner stopped shooting.

In an recent effort to scratch that Doom itch I've found TNT and Plutonia don't hold up nearly as well as the base games. Plutonia especially, the number of monster closets and deaf monster behind geometry was eyeroll worthy.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I actually really liked TNT and Plutonia but I fully recognize that I'm in the freak minority here. Beating plutonia on UV is one of my more memorable gaming moments, I did it years ago with just a keyboard.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

the demons in "ready-to-fatality" mode may as well have cartoon spinning stars around their heads because there is absolutely no way to make that mechanic not look totally loving stupid

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Dukes spirtes weren't great but they weren't what ever the hell quakes enemies were (mostly oddly angular brownish blobs). And yeah doom worked really well with abstract environments that didn't really make much real world sense but just worked well to convey a certain atmosphere. Doom 2 trying to actually emulate cities to some degree was just a massive failure. A lot of the maps were still pretty good to play which is what matters most but aesthetically the original was pretty clearly better.

The Quake enemies look good, much like the rest of Quake

Chadzok posted:

the demons in "ready-to-fatality" mode may as well have cartoon spinning stars around their heads because there is absolutely no way to make that mechanic not look totally loving stupid

that would be pretty great actually. Really anything besides blue computer color running over them, that just doesn't make a lot of sense as a visual cue for "rip out my stomach/balls now." I think I remember God of War 3 doing it pretty well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chadzok posted:

They say several times during the dev-stream that you can turn off the highlights, so it just looks like they're put in a longer-than-usual pain animation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Almost all of the flashing nonsense has a toggle in the menu.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
aree they going for spooky nonsense like doom 3 or is this going to be all action, because i can walk through corridors with flickering lights irl but i cant excercise demons unless i give up drinking

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Liu posted:

aree they going for spooky nonsense like doom 3 or is this going to be all action, because i can walk through corridors with flickering lights irl but i cant excercise demons unless i give up drinking

You could try reading literally anything about this game at all and your question would be answered.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
nah

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
maybe theres nothing special about doom at all aside from popularizing a camera angle ha ha your whole life is a lie

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The super shotgun

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

elf help book posted:

Imagine saying that about Mario.

Modern Mario games are actually noticably different than the early ones. I mean, you can go backwards! And there's things like butt-sliding and wall-jumping.

Also this engine had better be used for Chex Quest 4, that'd rock.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 1, 2016

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Judging from the singleplayer stream and the leaked trailer, I guess the UAC has been changed from a regular cynical weapons research company to a full blown crazy pseudo scientology cult with billionaire backing. I kinda liked the backstory in Doom 3, where the UAC was unwittingly opening a portal to hell, however now they seem to be actively trying to do just that, along with arranging pilgrimages into hell, and asking for peoples souls over a workplace PA system? That and their CEO seems to be a laser sword wielding anime bad guy. The story seems to be really weird, and I look forward to see what exactly they are going for with all this.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GyverMac posted:

Judging from the singleplayer stream and the leaked trailer, I guess the UAC has been changed from a regular cynical weapons research company to a full blown crazy pseudo scientology cult with billionaire backing. I kinda liked the backstory in Doom 3, where the UAC was unwittingly opening a portal to hell, however now they seem to be actively trying to do just that, along with arranging pilgrimages into hell, and asking for peoples souls over a workplace PA system? That and their CEO seems to be a laser sword wielding anime bad guy. The story seems to be really weird, and I look forward to see what exactly they are going for with all this.
tbqh this is a marked improvement over doom 3's story

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Im okay with a weird fuckin story

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The most important part of any video game story is being able to completely ignore it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
No, we WILL take control of the camera from you. We WILL lock the doors until the very expensive Hollywood actors we hired to listlessly repeat their lines finish saying what they have to say, and you WILL press 'F' to pay respects.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There be demons

Now murder all of them

Murder all the demons

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

What the gently caress is doam?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dumb rear end 4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zzulu posted:

There be demons

Now murder all of them

Murder all the demons

No, you are the demons.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Im the imp on the wall lobbing fireballs into the ceiling

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

Let me tell you about something called 'Brutal Doom'.

Yeah I like brutal doom. Me and a buddy of mine like to bust it out every couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Keiya posted:

Modern Mario games are actually noticably different than the early ones. I mean, you can go backwards! And there's things like butt-sliding and wall-jumping.

Also this engine had better be used for Chex Quest 4, that'd rock.

You've been able to go backwards since SMB2 and butt slide since SMB3