Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Twenty Five: Let's Loot And Scoot

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we received a mission from the Queen to open the road to Ebon Keep so that her army could kill the poo poo out of everyone left there; York agreed, as he's a moron. Today, we're going to put that Key we got in the vents to use, grab some free loot, and then get headed toward Ebon Keep, so let's boogie.

This isn't a very long update, as it's mostly grabbing loot and doing a small maze, but let's enjoy the ride.

Next update is the kind that makes an LP'er want to stick their genitals in a vise, just for how the hell to lay it out.

It's the worst maze yet, one with a terrible gimmick, a missable formula and a missable Charm.

I'm standing right next to a door that's locked; our Key won't open it. How unusual...

Moving on, we start our collect-a-thon in the dining room.

I won't turn down Wax. It's useful in Crush, which is useful in all situations.

This is a nice looking place. I really dig the atmosphere and design.

These doors will still be locked and forever closed if we didn't get the Key as Zach. And once we've reached this point, there's no way to go back for it.

That will seal off these items to us, and lock us out of a swanky new alchemy formula.

Of all of York's dumbassitude, he still won't fall into these vents.

Feathers will be very useful, very soon. Though, I do feel bad for making someone's pillow shittier just so I can magically blow stuff up.

Of all the ingredients we've found, this might be the most logical spot for what we've found. Barring some of the roots from the first part of the game.

I could find a use for these in the future. Maybe next update as, seriously, that maze completely sucks balls.

And someone is storing their liquor in the bookshelf. It's probably next to Frankenstein.

Seriously, if there was one book that would make someone want a drink, it's Frankenstein.

Or any of the Dune stuff not written by Frank Herbert.

That staircase to the right is our way out of here, but we've still looting to do.

That staircase leads to another bit of loot, but we'll get there.

If Corrosion wasn't total poo poo, I'd be down for using it more. I'd be happier to find Mushrooms if they were used in more than a single damned formula.

Feathers are extremely expensive when we can buy them. You'll see in a minute.

But know that I literally just found, in the last two shots, a thousand Gold Coins worth of Feathers.

This door leads to the big prize.

And the old lady that we found in the vents?

She's been down there for loving years and nobody has found her! She just fell into the vents and has been lost ever since!

gently caress you, I found her in a secret passage as a poodle! I'm keeping your key for a minute!

There's some more Lance castings. I've kept it in my wheel of formulas as a backup to Crush and Fire Ball. It's good having a couple of different formulas that don't require the same ingredients, so that I don't screw myself.

Hey, cool, Honey!

I guess. :shrug:

Alright, asshat, here's your key.

Keep in mind, we will never see his wife again. At this point, it's safe to assume she's dead, having become lost, crazy, blind and crippled down in the vents, wondering why nobody ever came looking.

...You know, sir, we all make mistakes. Maybe you did try and look. Maybe she didn't want to be found.

Or maybe she's eaten her own hands in her quest to find freedom, wondering if the ambulatory, purple azalea bush will ever come back.

We've got plenty of Brimstone already.

Feathers, not so much, and we won't be getting any for a while. I've got enough money to afford four Feathers, but these guys only sell in their allotted amounts.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't allow you to sell ingredients. I'd have far too much money if it did. And then I could afford other ingredients and when I had too many of those and needed to sell them off, I could afford other ingredients, and repeat the cycle.

Alright, we've finished up there, so let's get to the scooting part of this update.

Straight into a maze!

Though, this one isn't anything to write home about. It's pretty short and easy to navigate.

It's hard to see here, but Fire Power will freeze a target in place and pelt it with fireballs.

It's also extremely powerful; this is the beginning level of it, and multi-targeted. Bone Buzzards have poo poo magic defense, sure, but c'mon, look at that damage!

If you follow the loop around, you'll reach the chessboard quickly.

:ducksiren:We finally get to see that chessboard everyone talks about!:ducksiren:

And this goofy rear end in a top hat is the Foot Knight (no, I'm not bullshitting you), who is a boss only because the game says so and plays the music for him.

He's got 2,400 HP to take down, with alright defenses, both ways.

His only attack is to charge at you and poke you with his little spear.

It's about as effective as it sounds.

Just kick the poo poo out of him and move on. He's not worth worrying about otherwise.

And he only drops 850 EXP and 200 Gold when killed, too, which is kind of a pittance from a boss right now.

But he does explode.

Don't be that proud, York. Seiren originally challenged me to do this fight with just the Horn Spear, no alchemy and no Dog, and it took me about five minutes, and I think I took a total of 19 damage.

And there's the staircase getting us down below.

gently caress off, Bone Buzzards.

Two interesting things in this shot; that Bone Buzzard is about to be exploded violently, and there's that thing that Tiny tossed a few updates ago.

And that's all that York has to say about that.

I'm glad our protagonist is so involved, clear-headed, logical and inquisitive.

And here's the exit of this transition area.

Which leads us to a scene of Caesar meeting with the Queen.

That's not Pompolonius, despite appearances.

Though, he does have a name that sounds like the noise you make with a quiet, angry, wet fart.

I'm not sure why the Queen is holding court with someone from Nobilia, but we've seen that Evermore is connected before. Strong Heart is a member of a Nobilia alchemy guild, if you'll remember.

York is down with extermination of those guys; he probably won't consider listening to those poors anyhow.

Yeah, I doubt that. I've killed a few dragons in my day, lady.

Send your army! I'll kick the poo poo out of them, too.

I've got enough Crushes for everyone!

On that image, we fade to black and back to the heroic duos.

He's not bullshitting you. It's best to get in and get the hell out.

I also speak softy and carry a furious femur.

We're leaving off here. Why, you ask?

The Forest is next update, and you'll see why I'm going to take my time in getting that one ready to go. It's going to be a huge pain in the rear end, but we'll see how it goes.

Until then, stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I like the way this guy thinks.

Also, :laffo: at that 'boss' and :allears: for what I can only hope will be a schadenfreude-tastic next update.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Roro posted:

Wait, what?

Huh.I just kinda assumed.

So did we just help cover up her murder by giving the key back to her husband rather than getting any kind of help?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This upcoming maze isn't as bad as it used to be thanks to the advent of the internet. With a map it's downright civil.

But for those interested, we've had 3 mazes so far. The teleporter maze with Oglins, the Ivory Tower dog sequence, the Tower sewers (.5 of a maze) and the hedge maze around the chess board (the other .5 of a maze.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Also, :laffo: at that 'boss' and :allears: for what I can only hope will be a schadenfreude-tastic next update.

... They had a Chess Board set up, and they just give us a FOOT KNIGHT? I get saving the Queen for that motif, but come on! You have Pawns, Rooks and Bishops to work with as well if you want to keep the King/Queen for the end of this arc. What a let-down.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Seriously, if there was one book that would make someone want a drink, it's Frankenstein.

Or any of the Dune stuff not written by Frank Herbert.

You've got the same image here twice.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This is the section that, as a kid I got so frustrated that I got some graph paper and mapped the entire drat thing out by hand.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Oh geez this place. I had honestly forgotten it until just now.

Well, not forgotten. Repressed.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

This upcoming maze isn't as bad as it used to be thanks to the advent of the internet. With a map it's downright civil.

Truth. It's total garbage (but much easier now with online image maps available) but the worst part to me is the fact that is the forest replaces the 'open world' type areas like in Prehistoria and Nobilia to run around in between towns and dungeons. All Gothica has is the tiny path from the well to Ivor Tower, the Hedge Maze full of skullclaws, and... this upcoming slog. What should have been the big open exploration zone of Gothica is instead one of the worst aspects of Act 3.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Leave is not kidding about that forest. We'll soon see just how much, though I'm sure it will take a few days. One thing in the forest does slightly make up for its low points, though that may just be my opinion. I won't say more until the update that shows us.

I was disappointed by the chessboard too. All the buildup, you'd think it would be bigger. Although I didn't really notice it till now. There are better chess-themed areas and enemies in other RPGs.

Continuing to enjoy the LP, if not the game. And I enjoy the game too when I think of the cool things that are past this slog.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing some old favorites, and man, do designers love tossing down a maze as a way to pad out a game.

Doubly-so if there's some sort of teleport back to start or insta-death bullshit.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is the section that, as a kid I got so frustrated that I got some graph paper and mapped the entire drat thing out by hand.

That makes two of us. It's probably the only reason I haven't pulled the game out to play in so long, internet maps or not.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Meaty Ore posted:

That makes two of us. It's probably the only reason I haven't pulled the game out to play in so long, internet maps or not.

Make that three.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
If you're wondering about this "challenge" I posed to Leave that got mentioned during the Foot Knight joke? It was supposed to be in effect for the next boss too. I say 'was', because it got cancelled. It turns out that Zach is too badass to get knocked-out by anything here.

This forest maze stumped a lot of people. It got me, too. Then, I found a clue! And I'm gonna watch and see if it gets remembered. :)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was expecting we'd have to fight an entire chessboard, but that's really more of a Shining Force thing, isn't it?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

So, before the update, since I'm not going to do a great job showing this place off, lemme show you what it looks like. For the best effect, be sure to expand that picture to its full dimensions. There's a simple trick to getting through it, but there's also an alchemy formula missed on the side opposite the exit.

It's been TIMG'd for the safety of your tables. Seriously, expand it fully.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You'll cover the entire map if you just always turn right. Most video game mazes have that property, so it's a generally good approach.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Ugh. Just looking at it again makes 13 year old me kinda mad.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ultrafilter posted:

You'll cover the entire map if you just always turn right. Most video game mazes have that property, so it's a generally good approach.

... No you won't. Look at the map. You'd barely cover half of it and miss the secret.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Keeping a wall to your right would let you cover the whole map eventually, you'd just have to skip the exit in your effort to check everything. Although it looks like you would miss that sideways h on the upper left.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

It'll get you to the exit, but (a) you miss the secret and (b) if your only goal is to GTFO and move on, the game actually gives you hints on the right path to take.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It really doesn't look THAT bad. But then again I've been a huge maze aficionado pretty much my entire life.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It really doesn't look THAT bad. But then again I've been a huge maze aficionado pretty much my entire life.

There's problems that the map doesn't make obvious.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Six: I Guess I've Gotta Do This

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we left off about to enter the Dark Forest, the shittiest of the mazes in this game. I'm not going to say it's the shittiest maze in a game ever, since I'm sure there are plenty of others, but this maze sucks.

:ducksiren:For those of you interested, I threw the video I took up on Youtube.:ducksiren:

I mostly put that video up if you want to see it in action. I know the trick here, but it still takes around ten minutes to get through it.

Hey, lookit, a new spider enemy!

Well, there was. They only have 160 HP, give out 180 EXP and drop 30 Coins. They also won't bug us a bit, since we have the Insect Incense, but that doesn't mean we can't still murder the poo poo out of them.

Yeah, it's entirely unfair, but c'est la vie.

There are also Hedgadillos around here, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Before I get too much further here, let me quote myself real quick-like.

Leavemywife posted:

So, before the update, since I'm not going to do a great job showing this place off, lemme show you what it looks like. For the best effect, be sure to expand that picture to its full dimensions. There's a simple trick to getting through it, but there's also an alchemy formula missed on the side opposite the exit.

It's been TIMG'd for the safety of your tables. Seriously, expand it fully.

So, yeah, I'm going to let you look at that. I could do an in-depth, detailed explanation of the path I took and how I made it to the hidden formula and how I made it to the exit from there, but there's one hitch in that plan.

Namely, the "gently caress that noise" hitch.

I suppose, were I willing to put in the effort, I could write an update spanning poem, a short story based on getting through the Dark Forest, Supernatural fan fiction, or a tribute to my favorite musicians and actors.

I should have read that sign. It would have given me something to mention.

We are going for an alchemy formula here, by the way. It's one that I'll probably never use. You'll see why when I talk about it.

Which is going to be very, very soon. I keep thinking I have more screenshots before these things happen, but I only took 70 screenshots for this update. I usually take over 100, sometimes 150. In other LPs, I'd usually go past 200.

In other news, I sang Meatloaf's "I Would Do Anything For Love" to my wife earlier tonight. It included dancing in the parking lot at work.

It's a good thing I don't provide the choreography for music videos; I'm pretty sure anyone who saw it assumed I was having a seizure and that the woman nearby was having a fit of the hysterics.

Ugh. One Up sounds pretty nice.

It kind of sounds like it's a an auto-revive spell, which could come in handy, depending on the circumstances.

One Up costs a Feather and a Root. Feathers are also used in Fire Power (which is the only other use for them, actually). Feathers, as you may recall, are also pretty expensive.

While One Up provides a full heal to the tartget, that isn't as useful as it sounds. See, if Heal is leveled properly, it'll do the same drat thing. Heal uses Roots already, and loving Water, which is common as poo poo. One Up isn't worth the materials needed to cast it. And before long, we'll have another healing formula, which heals both of our characters to full HP.

Essentially, One Up does what you can already do, at a much higher cost. Imagine you're playing a Final Fantasy game, and you need to heal up 150 HP; do you use the low-cost Cure or do you go full-hog and use Curaja?

I pick up some more Feathers, since I have more poo poo to light on fire.

And I could navigate my way back through the maze and to the exit, but, as before, gently caress that noise. Plus, I need to show off what Wings do, so may as well kill two birds with one stone.

You get a Looney Tunes-esque fade out.

And you pop back to the beginning of the dungeon. I know, riveting.

Hey, lookit, a new enemy!

Those are the Gargons, which I guess are the dragons that have been mentioned previously. I'm not sure why they're not called dragons, but maybe a Gargon is different.

They have 300 HP, and give out 150 EXP and 60 Gold Coins. Also, that flaming fist is going to crush the Wood Mite. It looked pretty metal, so I thought I'd include it.

Fire Power is getting up there in power, and it'll be stupid powerful before too much longer. Kind of like Crush, but with more fire balls. Now, if I could just combine alchemy spells...

Okay, let's talk about the gimmick here. Some of you might have noticed it, and if you didn't, it's okay.

See that little bastard hidden in the tree?

Those fellows are you clue that you're on the right path. If you're going through the Forest, follow those guys around and you'll be good.

A league is about three miles on land. A nautical league is about 3.4 miles.

And thus concludes the educational portion of this update. :eng101:

I've also seen those little bastards called "owls" in a few different guides. I'm not sure what kind of horror show owls those fucks live around.

It's like they're just sitting up there, waiting for you to get lost, watching as you travel around in circles, trying to mark your path, realizing that you keep passing your marks, no matter which way you go, and seeing as your desperation builds...

And then, just as you're contemplating eating your own hands to stave off starvation, they swoop in and begin nibbling on your flesh. They take only small bits first, enough to make you bleed, but before long, you have a parliament of them descending upon you, and the last thing you see is your ribs laid bare before you and then, mercifully, the darkness takes you.

Yeargh, that wasn't very good. I'm glad I didn't try and do that the entire update. I'm not good at that writing thing.

Yes this is a different shot and section of the forest. It may not look like it, but I assure you it is.

It's one more problem in this section. I know how varied and different forests can look. I know they only have a limited number of resources, sprites and alla that to work with, since it's the SNES, but it seems like they just kind of phoned this one in. Or they needed some padding and figured, "Hey, why not throw in a maze?"

Alright, alright, to hell with this. Let's skip to the end.

Hey, it's bright again! And lookit, a bunch of those little weirdos.

:ducksiren:Oh, right, this is the part where I throw in the boss fight video.:ducksiren:

Oh, what're they doing?

Shape Lifters? C'mon, you weren't even trying to be clever!

I'm going to kill the poo poo out of you.

I've gotta admit, I'm a bit of a sucker for the whole "fight your evil twin/clone/copy" shtick.

I'm not even sure why. I just think it's neat. And in this case, I can link to this article.

That's a lot more damage than most enemies have done lately.

With 700 HP, they have a bit of longevity, but not much. They give out 400 EXP and 333 Gold Coins.

You might have noticed there are three pairs of horror owls up there, which means we get to fight three Bad Boys.

Oh, yeah, that 18 damage in the last shot? By far, the most Zach has taken this entire trip. I tried to get him killed to fulfill a challenge from Seiren, but even without any armor equipped, nothing in the forest was doing more than a single point of damage.

The Bad Boy can use alchemy, but he didn't get much of a chance. And the one time he was going to, he had about half a second before he bit the dust.

The last one tried it. Nitro is a spell we'll get later on, and one that is stupidly powerful. On paper, it's the strongest formula in the entire game.

Zach had different ideas than Nitro going off, which is unfortunate. Sure, I'd just hit him with a fully charged sword strike and Fire Power was about to rain down on his head, but that wouldn't have killed him.

'course, Zach feels that any actions that aren't killing enemies are bad actions, so he does his best to correct them. He's a good dog.

And after the fight, we get a brand new sword!

Looks like the starting weapon in Mystic Quest.

For those of you still reading, thanks for sticking it out. I know this update wasn't great.

But I appreciate you sticking it out. It makes this feel like it's really worth it.

Well, kid, we had the advantage; we already knew all of his moves.

Except Nitro, I guess.

Anywho, we're going to take a break here.

Next time, we'll finish off the Dark Forest, fight another boss, get another new weapon, and then see where things take us from there. Until then, stay tuned!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Again....what's so difficult about that forest? It really doesn't look too bad.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's not really "difficult" just really, really big, takes way too long, boring, etc.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Well, kid, we had the advantage; we already knew all of his moves.

Except Nitro, I guess.

Also, there wasn't a clone of the Dog. You might have been in big trouble then...

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's not difficult, it's just boring as hell. I'm pretty sure leave skipped about 2/3 of the forest in the screenshots. The enemies are jokes, the background scenery is uninteresting and featureless, and even the maze itself doesn't have anything entertaining like one-way paths or the like.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

For those curious, Leave was supposed to do this fight with the Bone Crusher, a KOed dog, and no alchemy usage. Which suits the "fight yourself" thing that much better, with you in a weakened state vs. you guided by AI.

But again, Zach was too badass to die and the plans had to be cancelled. :(

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
That's our Zach! Too badass to die! :D

Glad the forest is done. The next update brings in what was for me the most memorable of the game's bosses. I'm looking very forward to it.

Keep up the good work, Leave!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Like others have said, it's not too difficult. It's just kind of a boring, long, uninteresting slog through a location that could have been much more interesting. Duncan's Factory, from Mother, comes to mind for me, but that's a whole different can of worms.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Gtocha now, that makes much more sense

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Seiren posted:

For those curious, Leave was supposed to do this fight with the Bone Crusher, a KOed dog, and no alchemy usage. Which suits the "fight yourself" thing that much better, with you in a weakened state vs. you guided by AI.

But again, Zach was too badass to die and the plans had to be cancelled. :(

Could you just put his AI all the way to search mode? IIRC, he basically ignores enemies at the highest "Search" setting, though I've never tried it against bosses, so maybe it's different then.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Leavemywife posted:

Like others have said, it's not too difficult. It's just kind of a boring, long, uninteresting slog through a location that could have been much more interesting. Duncan's Factory, from Mother, comes to mind for me, but that's a whole different can of worms.

Unless you don't know the trick and have to resort to random wandering. Then it's frustrating as hell.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Gtocha now, that makes much more sense

An additional thing, this is maze number 4 of a series that you do within approximately an hour if you know what you're doing.

Gothica is crazy dense on the mazes.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Tartget.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Could you just put his AI all the way to search mode? IIRC, he basically ignores enemies at the highest "Search" setting, though I've never tried it against bosses, so maybe it's different then.
The dog wouldn't attack that way, but this still presents enemies with a 2nd, living target to bounce between, to say nothing of enemy casting of alchemy formulas, which they will always multi-target if both boy and dog live.

A single-target Nitro from Bad Boy would have actually been very threatening and in coming up with the challenge I presented to Leave I was actually worried it could one-shot him from maximum HP, because I remember it happening to me before, getting smacked for like 380

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of odd to just... fight the same thing three times. I guess Gothica is going to be Land of Disappointing Boss Fights?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Twenty Seven: And Thus, We Close Out The Forest

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we went through the first half of the Dark Forest, kicked the poo poo out of three clones, and got a new sword. Today, we're going to finish off the Dark Forest, get another new weapon, and get to Ebon Keep, so let's boogie.

If you'd like to see the map for this place, check this out. This half isn't nearly as big as the first, which makes it much more pleasant to go through.

Shape Lifters (Jesus Christ, who the hell approved that name) still serve as signs that you're heading the right way.

Instead of blitzing through the path and out of here, we've got a shitload of heading right to do.

Heading right leads us to another item that we could permanently miss, and I'm trying not to do that.

That reminds me, there's that Monk in Crustacia that sells Amulets of Annihilation for 10,000 Jewels. I need to go buy at least one from him.

Oh, Jesus, an Oglin! Fire Power, do your thing!

Wait, hold that order. We've met this guy before.

I'm glad you're doing well. But, I'm curious, did you have to beat the Foot Knight to get here? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if you did, but...

I drat near forgot; you can thank Seiren for making sure your rear end got saved.

Neat!

This boost to magic defense applies only to York, but hey, that's still neato-torpedo.

Barring one more charm, which is useless and actually does nothing, we've collected all of the charms! :toot:

I'll probably still grab it, just for completions' sake, but that'll be in a while. I think I can still get it.

If not, we're literally missing nothing. Also, a furlong is 660 feet, so we can hit the candy mountain in a touch over six miles.

Alright, let's wrap this up.

Once you've hit this screen, you're home free. :ducksiren:Just one final thing to do.:ducksiren:

Lord, he's a goofy looking bastard.

Jesus, Zach, no! I'm trying to show this one off!

With 2,000 HP, Zach has already really done a number on the Timberdrake.

Not the best shot of it, but the Timberdrake will randomly pick his teeth with his lance. It's kind of friggin' cool.

And lookit that poo poo eating grin.

Surprise, assbutt, the dragon has access to fiery poo poo!

Kind of painful, but nothing we can't overcome.

But we'll plant a spear in its belly all the same.

Like with most bosses, I could have annihilated this guy within a few spells.

Power leveling your alchemy in this game is pretty much an instant-win formula, as you've seen.

And foes' alchemy is one of the most dangerous things they have. But, the cool thing is that, no matter what they use, they'll never use a formula that you can't have access to.

With one final strike, York and Zach combine their powers to defeat the mighty Timberdrake...

Who explodes into 2,000 Coins and 2,200 EXP. :sugartits:

And, just like that, the Crusader Sword is rendered obsolete!

Or it would be, but I like swords, and with the Silver Sheath's bonus, the Crusader Sword is nearly as powerful.

In short, we're keeping our fancy golden sword.

Yeah, that's a barrier. We'll get past it later.

For now, it's time for another maze/sewer!

Also filled with randomly impassable obstacles.

As well as Rats and Blue Goos, which are about as much of a threat as before.

The Blue Goo can randomly drop Honey, too, which is neat. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm guessing that enemies themselves don't have set tables for what they can drop. I'm thinking that the drops are determined by what area they're in; if I remember right, in the Pyramid, Blue Goos can drop Nectar, but won't drop Honey.

Alternatively, maybe the enemies here, while functionally identical to the enemies in previous areas, are coded into the game as different enemies, with different drops.

Hell, I don't know. I'm not a programmer, so I'm probably talking out of my rear end here.

Also, hidden path leads to those chests.

As well as those chests.

If you're playing along, looking for the hidden paths, just hump your way down the wall until York disappears into one of them.

One of these days, I'll use some Pixie Dust. Maybe. I'll try and remember.

...Have I used even a drop of Ethanol yet? I'm honestly not sure.

Water is always good to have around.

And I don't mind having Acorns around. Lance is kind of fun, even if I prefer Crush and Fire Power.

Anyways, work your way lefterly and upward and you'll come out here, the exit.

Which leads into another dungeon.

We've officially entered Ebon Keep. In Ivor Tower, opening all the cells and defeating their occupants got us a new collar for Zach.

In here, we've gotta open all the cells and kill the enemies to progress forward.

Though, game, if you're going to give me an item that nullifies the threat of an enemy, don't throw them in my path as a necessary impediment. Throw something that is---

Jesus Christ!

Oh, uh...Good dog, Zach. Those Raptors have 300 HP, and drop 290 EXP and 48 Gold.

Two of these bastards are down here.

Oh, why did I even bother? Let's just crack open that last cell.

Uh-oh. He's shooting York.

And that's just their regular attack. That hurts like a bastard!

Fortunately, we've gone our own bastard-hurting attack.

Oh, Crush, how I love thee.

And this is the cherry on top.

The cell we don't open is the path out.

Well, now, ain't this somethin'.

Where the hell is everyone?

Huh. Guess folks really did pack up and scoot out of here.

There's a few people left in this town, though.

There has to be. I mean, the Queen sent us over here to assist in killing them all.

Ah, the inn! There's bound to be someone here.

At least there's dinner.

Maybe the shopkeep is resting in the back.

At least there's free stuff.

Maybe there's more free stuff over here.

Or a living person. I'm cool with that, too.

Are you ready for an odd exchange?

Not this part.

I'm familiar with you, yeah.

I know a thing or two about that, too.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I would like to know what he has to say, is there a copy somewhere?

Austin S posted:

pre:
"Heard about my victory over Zeromus?"
  Sure. Of course!
> Can't say that I have.

"How about the time that I turned into a paladin?"
  Now I remember!
> Doesn't ring a bell.

"How about my adventure on the moon?"
  Oh yeah! The moon!
> I don't think so.

"Well, suffice it to say, I've been almost everywhere and I've done almost everything."
Note that getting this far means you miss out on the 50GP discount on the collar, or the 100GP discount on the other items.

We won't be seeing Rosa, Bowser, Kim, or Goemon on this trip. Just Cecil, which is bizarre enough.

I'm not sure why Cecil decided to start running a shop. Or why he's in this game.

They're both Square games, sure, but this is still like having a Sabin cameo in Sleeping Dogs.

Why aren't you king anymore? I remember that happening.

Though, is being a shopkeeper here a better fate than The After Years?

This is very un-Cecil of a line.

If you hadn't gotten it before, you could get Zach's new collar here.

As it stands, York gets another full set of armor.

Too bad we're not buying some of Cecil's old gear; we'd be basically invincible.

And if we could get one of Cecil's old ultimate swords...

So you've been to Prehistoria, too? I wonder what he picked up there.

...Not what I was expecting, truth be told.

The Bazooka has three different types of ammo, which we'll get to.

Cecil gave us a single shot, but what a shot it will be. For now, we'll keep the Crusader Sword. Let's get our new armor equipped.

This game does not gently caress around with armor upgrades.

Despite those heavy boosts, Zach still has more defense than York.

But we're going to close out this update. Next time, we'll explore a bit more of Ebon Keep.

Until then, stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yes! My favorite track in the entire game. I used to wander around Ebon Keep without doing anything just to hear it.

Also, I legitimately had never heard of Cecil when I first played SoE. If you tell him you've never heard of him, he keeps bringing up more of his adventures to try and jog your memory.

• Locked thread