Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm going to run mono-U Brain in a Jar for gameday, never played the deck before, what should I know about it?

if you're playing white humans you're already dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

if you're playing white humans you're already dead

b-but I'm playing Engulf the shore :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

So Gaby Spartz doesn't seem great.

...context?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

...context?

Modern open on scg, she was the first match they showed, playing Merfolk against some UB Tezzerator deck.

I don't know if he meant played poorly or if she looked sick.

She did look kind of pale when I caught 2 minutes of the stream.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Modern open on scg, she was the first match they showed, playing Merfolk against some UB Tezzerator deck.

Ask yourself which one of these is more likely, given everything you know about the information you have.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Notorious shitposter Mc"RapeIsJustAWord"Magic dropping a non sequitur about a female pro player on stream? I'm sure he's loving beside himself worrying about her health.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Why the hell would I comment on what she looks like? She just punted G1 and then lost.

Toshimo posted:

Notorious shitposter Mc"RapeIsJustAWord"Magic dropping a non sequitur about a female pro player on stream? I'm sure he's loving beside himself worrying about her health.

gently caress off.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

There are tons of not great players on stream every weekend.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

There are tons of not great players on stream every weekend.

yes but gaby is an actual like, known person, i don't think this is a fair criticism

now whether she played badly or not, i didn't really see anything that conclusive to say tbh

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShaneB posted:

...context?

He's a Johnny Raincloud and everything upsets him.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

yes but gaby is an actual like, known person, i don't think this is a fair criticism

now whether she played badly or not, i didn't really see anything that conclusive to say tbh

She countered a sword of the meek despite her opponent having tons of other artifacts to start the combo if he ever draws Thopter Foundry, which Gaby is now unable to counter.

Also not using cursecatcher to counter Thirst for Knowledge seems like a big misplay. The caster made it seem like it was a bait that she wasn't falling for, but your 15 turn clock for your opponent's ancestral recall seems like a good trade to me.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Why the hell would I comment on what she looks like? She just punted G1 and then lost.

What did she punt G1?

And TBF game 2 was over when she mulled to 6 got one land, and didn't draw another. MAYBE you cursecatcher the draw 3, but giving up your 2-axis pressure when it's not winning you the game seems suss.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Shadows limited is such a great format. There are so many amazingly durdly combos; my current favorite is Groundskeeper + Call the Bloodline + Crawling Sensation; you get 2 1/1 insects and 2 1/1 vampire lifelinkers every turn cycle. Add a couple watchers in the web to insure against flying and most opponents just concede out of frustration.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Eela6 posted:

Shadows limited is such a great format. There are so many amazingly durdly combos; my current favorite is Groundskeeper + Call the Bloodline + Crawling Sensation; you get 2 1/1 insects and 2 1/1 vampire lifelinkers every turn cycle. Add a couple watchers in the web to insure against flying and most opponents just concede out of frustration.

Yeah, I am already liking it a lot more than the highly regarded 3xKTK format. I have a KTK set cube I made up but I'm far more excited to make the SOI one.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I wish blue was a bit better/the mill enablers said "target player", but aside from that I really like SOI draft

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

13 players at game day. Lost to a creature deck that I shouldn't lose to with 8 wrath and then some more removal, and lost to my gf who is playing R/G Goggles Ramp.

Ended up winning back to back to go from 1-2 to 3-2, and missed top 4 by 0.667 on first tiebreaker. I missed it because my gf ID'ed into the top4. If she had played and won, I would have been in. (But then would have been paired against her anyway.)

Got myself a nice Anguished Unmasking though. Prize Pack was poor.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Always counter Thirst for Knowledge. The card is absurd. Nobody ever counters mine and then they lose because I draw the counter for their counter on my business spell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Always counter Thirst for Knowledge. The card is absurd. Nobody ever counters mine and then they lose because I draw the counter for their counter on my business spell.

The best counter to a spell is to not let them draw it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what in the hell was that GW Allies vs Burn game

Allies player has a... idk some Green ally that pumps itself when an ally ETBs. Plays kabira evangel, pumps his guy, PRESUMABLY gives him pro red, and with his burn opponent at 2, tapped out, and with only red creatures in play, passes the turn and promptly dies

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

AgentSythe posted:

what in the hell was that GW Allies vs Burn game

Allies player has a... idk some Green ally that pumps itself when an ally ETBs. Plays kabira evangel, pumps his guy, PRESUMABLY gives him pro red, and with his burn opponent at 2, tapped out, and with only red creatures in play, passes the turn and promptly dies

Yeah I don't know either, was the life total on the stream wrong or something?

Assholes! It's Eldrazi bears, because it's the funnier name.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 30, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thisuck posted:

Yeah I don't know either, was the life total on the stream wrong or something?

Assholes! It's Eldrazi bears, because it's the funnier name.

SCG's golden rule is to make sure you don't think a name is funny, okay?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Count Bleck posted:

SCG's golden rule is to make sure you don't think a name is funny, okay?

They also didn't see the Wasteland Strangler play -____- (This is the deck I'm planning to take to the GP so I'm being extra spergy about this)

Edit: Get strip mined :getin:

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 30, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Those "jerseys" that jim davis and crew are wearing look awful. :lol:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

suicidesteve posted:

I've seen Vintage players who know to always counter Ancestral Recall go ahead and not counter a 4-mana Treasure Cruise because "it's not as good". Once it's on the stack it's the same thing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
3 time game day champion. Put it on my gravestone.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Chamale posted:

I've seen Vintage players who know to always counter Ancestral Recall go ahead and not counter a 4-mana Treasure Cruise because "it's not as good". Once it's on the stack it's the same thing.

Always counter Ancestral effects.

Sickening posted:

3 time game day champion. Put it on my gravestone.

Grats dude! What did you end up playing?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Those "jerseys" that jim davis and crew are wearing look awful. :lol:

Got a screenshot?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thisuck posted:

Always counter Ancestral effects.

Grats dude! What did you end up playing?

B/g control. Went 6 rounds and won a lot of those rounds 1/0/1

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh my god 4c rites

E: 4c rally had 3 children and they're all amazing

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I hate Michael stone because his board is a mess and I can't respect a messy board

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
That match between tron and Melira company was the most painful thing I've seen since the Bant company mirror that I turned off during game 2.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

B/g control. Went 6 rounds and won a lot of those rounds 1/0/1
Is that the Seasons Past thing or something new and exciting?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Any exciting decks on stream today?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Is that the Seasons Past thing or something new and exciting?

Seasons past is new and exciting.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Any exciting decks on stream today?

There has been some excitingly bad play, like this scapeshift player fetching basic mountain off of his Windswept Heath then speeding into his drawstep

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

Got a screenshot?

Is this one of them?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AgentSythe posted:

There has been some excitingly bad play, like this scapeshift player fetching basic mountain off of his Windswept Heath then speeding into his drawstep

He botched the Heath but I think the draw was from killing TKS.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

ShaneB posted:

Is this one of them?

It is.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nothing like the classic GWUBR color pie order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Went fairly badly at Game day, 3-2, finished 10th [edit: 20-25 players in total-ish?] (3-1 record in final round, up against bullshit Bant, 1-2 loss. Other loss was to the mirror 1-2, and it was 100% my fault for keeping a sketchy hand), but that's not the story.

I went with my high opinion of Tamiyo's journal and Tireless Trackers in GR ramp, and holy gently caress they're amazing. Both times I landed them together, I demolished my opponent in short order. The best (seriously, the spectating players went nuts) instance was:

Opponent (vanilla list GR ramp tryhard guy who's an obnoxious PoS who always blames his losses on "opponent getting lucky/cheating/etc") on 6 me on 15 my boardstate was a Face down Den Protector and a journal, Tracker in GY and two evo wilds in hand. Opponent drops Ulamog, poo poo, right? that usually means GG. He tags the Protector and a land for exile, so I flip the protector and get the tracker back. He then attacks with everything but the Ulamog because of summoning it.

My turn. Journal trigger for clue 1 Play the Tracker, Play an Evo for clue 2, crack it for clue 3, Journal tutor for Eldrazi Obligator, show it opponent but he doesn't see how I win, opponent's face drops like a sack of poo poo when I Steal Ulamog, win, get salt from him about "pot luck wins blah blah :qq:" I couldn't resist rubbing it in that sometimes people just have better decks that have cards that interact with each other.

It stole another win by tutoring for a Kozi's Return, another for getting Ulamog, another for being able to squeeze the last few damage needed through on a Tracker after clearing the way with an Atarka. It's loving amazing and takes people totally by surprise.

But I think it's time for me to put GR to bed. I've been playing aggro for so loving long now it hurts, and I've always been a control player by nature, so I'm jumping on the BG seasons past bus. Which leads to a question:

I have the Reid Duke/Finkel/etc list, but I'm missing the one Kalitas for the SB. I've not been able to find them for trade anywhere, so I need a temp replacement for that SB slot till someone has one (so I can play it for Game day 2 tomorrow). Opinions?

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 30, 2016

• Locked thread