Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Beholster hunting quest is the worst. in the 20 runs i did since i got that quest, i got the Beholster exactly once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wait until you have to kill 30 lead maidens or 3 kill pilllars.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The worst one so far was the shambling rounds

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kill five mimics

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've killed way more than 30 lead maidens just during my beholster quest so far. I'm getting REAL loving good at clearing floor 2 with just the rusty side arm, cause i rarely find a better boss killer than the crossbow when jumping to floor 2.
P. sure the mimics won't be a problem either, i get at least 1 mimic on 8 out of 10 runs.

(actually not looking forward to the 3 kill pilars tho)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

40 Bullet Sharks sucks too, on a good run I get one room with three of them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The numbers in general are too high because it's not like you can plan for any particular enemy type and focus on it anyway, short of using shortcuts.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
The last achievement I have left is to finish the kill quests and I can't bring myself to do it. Stuck on shambling rounds forever, RIP.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Power of Pecota posted:

40 Bullet Sharks sucks too, on a good run I get one room with three of them.
I saw a poo poo ton of these during my first 10 or so runs and I don't think I've seen a single one since :mad:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
All the other hunting quests are trivial when compared to the hell that is Shambling Rounds. You'll run into maybe 1-3 each run, a few more if you're lucky and/or go to the final chamber, and sometimes you won't even run into any at all.

The later boss quests are easy, since you can just knock them out with the Boss Rush. No RNG gambling needed.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Downside of my last run: hosed up on Dragun for the Lead God achievement

Upside: 2 caped bulletkin appeared, taking me to 3/5.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Well it gave me the steam kill quests achievement despite being 2 dragun kills short... I think I'm done with this game until the DLC comes out

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Thanks, clone. Didnt get a single chest above green in the run though and no active item better than grappling hook.

Im STILL missing the last level for the map man, he has never showed up on floor 5.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I see you pick up the useless obsidian shell casings too

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just got this game and I don't get it. I don't get any of it. But it's a ton of fun. I feel like I'm never going to get it. And that's probably just fine.

I'm looking for a beginner's guide that explains some stuff beyond "procedurally generated levels and RNG item drops," but can't find much -- I guess it's too new? How do I spend that currency I've been picking up (the crucifix-looking items?) Those seem to be the only items that persist after death.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

enojy posted:

I just got this game and I don't get it. I don't get any of it. But it's a ton of fun. I feel like I'm never going to get it. And that's probably just fine.

I'm looking for a beginner's guide that explains some stuff beyond "procedurally generated levels and RNG item drops," but can't find much -- I guess it's too new? How do I spend that currency I've been picking up (the crucifix-looking items?) Those seem to be the only items that persist after death.

Hegemony credits are used to buy unlocks in the Breach. Before you can spend them, you'll need to unlock buddies to buy things from - they're mostly locked in cells in the Gungeon which require a special key found elsewhere on the level to unlock.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Benly posted:

Hegemony credits are used to buy unlocks in the Breach. Before you can spend them, you'll need to unlock buddies to buy things from - they're mostly locked in cells in the Gungeon which require a special key found elsewhere on the level to unlock.

Ahh, OK, I've come across a few of those so far (I think -- a me-sized girl locked in a cell with a huge robot?) So if I come across something like that, I should scour the level for a key? I've just been bypassing them since I feel like I've completed a level without finding any keys.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

enojy posted:

Ahh, OK, I've come across a few of those so far (I think -- a me-sized girl locked in a cell with a huge robot?) So if I come across something like that, I should scour the level for a key? I've just been bypassing them since I feel like I've completed a level without finding any keys.

If there's a cell, there'll always be a cell key somewhere on the level, although it may drop from the boss. The cell key is different from regular keys and is only for the cell lock.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It's a specific type of key you need to find, they are larger and golden. They are guaranteed to be in a level if a cage spawns, though sometimes you need to beat the boss for it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah they are usually on the second floor of the gungeon. If you finish every room without getting the big key the boss will have it.

On another note I got some wax wings and an m16. First time I made it to the boss on level 5. I got him down to half health but I went in with 1 heart and 1 blank. Maybe I will beat this game after all

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the cells housing the NPCs seem to always be on floor two. You can either find the cell key as a reward for clearing a random room on that floor (it's a big orang key, can't miss it), or if you're kinda unlucky, you'll get it as a reward for beating the boss on that floor.

The girl + robot are the ones running the shop where you can buy new guns with the green credits you piked up, so try to free them ASAP.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The more I play this game the more I regret buying it. I didn't think it was possible to make an Isaac clone so thoroughly un-fun but they really accomplished it. Every few days I think "well maybe it's not that bad" and give it another go, but nah it's really terrible.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

K8.0 posted:

The more I play this game the more I regret buying it. I didn't think it was possible to make an Isaac clone so thoroughly un-fun but they really accomplished it. Every few days I think "well maybe it's not that bad" and give it another go, but nah it's really terrible.

YMMV. I have enjoyed the hell out of all 60 hours I've spent playing this, including/excluding the times I spent yelling "gently caress YOU" at the screen

if you're on PC, have you bound a key to rapid fire? it helps a lot

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
That Cheat Engine script a goon posted a while back to make something drop after every room has turned the game from an unfun slog to something pretty decent.

I still die on level 4, I still run out of ammo, but at least I can see a bit more of the game.

http://pastebin.com/SHTJHDPB

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i used to hate the game until I plugged a controller in

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Definitely just grab Cheat Engine and pick to either have infinite keys or infinite ammo (whatever bugs you more, but having both make the game way too easy imo) and it becomes a lot more fun.

If you prefer playing fair, go find and unlock the Sorceress and either earn or cheat yourself some Hegemoney to pay for the Gun Game mode, which is also much more fun than the vanilla game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I did my first Sorceress run and it was a blast. Why does this cost Hegemoney? It should just be a fun way to play.

It's like this game wants you to cheat away all its inconveniences.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I agree that the design of keys and the degree of randomness induced by the number of garbage items and guns is absolutely idiotic, but the main problems I have with the game are fundamentally not fixable. I think the existence of dodge roll, tables and blanks all make it a worse game, the pilot makes it a worse game, the obsession with playing damageless makes it a really stupid game because why even have health when taking damage ends a run anyway... a lot of poo poo like that. I'm sure plenty of people find it enjoyable but to me it just sucks a shitload. I just want to see all the content and get it over with but I feel like I should probably cut my losses since it's just so aggressively anti-fun.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm slowly getting better at the game. Now after sixty hours and 120+ deaths, I can make it to floor 4 every time! Unless I get no good guns in the first floor or two and quit in frustration. I've even seen the Dragun three times!

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I'm quite enjoying the game, versus BoI that I hated at every step, but that's me. I'm not good enough where better or more frequent drops will save me from making stupid mistakes; I've only gotten to the chamber 3 boss so far and essentially 100% of the damage I take was my fault for not paying attention.

While I'm certain the flaws will become more apparent if I stick with it, it's right up my alley so far. And if it isn't just the most adorable thing, dang

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
allllmost managed to get Lead God, but the Dragun said no :(

what's with the wounded bullets you occasionally see rolling on the ground? Are you supposed to do something with them?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zorodius posted:

allllmost managed to get Lead God, but the Dragun said no :(

what's with the wounded bullets you occasionally see rolling on the ground? Are you supposed to do something with them?

they show up in the oubliette and are functionally equivalent to the chairs, benches, barrels, etc. that exist only to block one bullet or be smashed underfoot

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I agree that the design of keys and the degree of randomness induced by the number of garbage items and guns is absolutely idiotic, but the main problems I have with the game are fundamentally not fixable. I think the existence of dodge roll, tables and blanks all make it a worse game, the pilot makes it a worse game, the obsession with playing damageless makes it a really stupid game because why even have health when taking damage ends a run anyway... a lot of poo poo like that. I'm sure plenty of people find it enjoyable but to me it just sucks a shitload. I just want to see all the content and get it over with but I feel like I should probably cut my losses since it's just so aggressively anti-fun.

Actually, now that I'm good at the game, the only problem I have is that Bullet Hell is impossible without some way to conserve ammo or I guess a bunch of damage passives. One room alone can empty an entire gun. I shouldn't have a full array of like 8 guns and then get to the boss with nothing left.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
"here's a bunch of guns; don't shoot them" is a design error, even if you can technically play around it and the game's still fun

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I very gradually got better at this game, from barely making it to floor 2 up to finishing the last floor with no damage taken over the course of probably 20-30 hours played. Part of getting better was mechanical and part was ammo/item management. Knowing what to pick up, what to combo with what, when to start burning ammo off of which guns, etc. I really enjoyed it all the way through though, even early on when I figured I wasn't going to get anywhere. For me, it beats Binding of Isaac and ranks alongside Nuclear Throne as my favorite 2d gun thing.

My best run was with the mega hand + that musical note item that makes your current gun stronger with every kill until you switch away or get hit. It pretty quickly ramped up to one-shotting basically everything, so I was able to clear entire floors and have it do like 10-15% per hit on earlier bosses. Even the dragun was taking around 8% per shot. With 4 blanks in tow I knocked it down to phase 2 without ever seeing the knives or getting hit.

edit: with the exception of the post-game hardcore poo poo, which I don't really expect a high level of balance or fairness from, I never felt like I had to conserve ammo hardcore. Between ammo crates and constant gun drops and vendors you usually have something that you can afford to use to clear our tougher rooms without screwing yourself for boss dps.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

enojy posted:

I think for a beginner, here's my starting tips:

Enter the Gungeon is a brutally difficult twin stick roguelike (randomly generated dungeon) shooter. You're going to die. A lot. And that's OK.

There are several ways to make "progress" in the game without beating it. These are:

Freeing allies. On floor 2, there will be a room with people locked in a cell behind a special golden lock. Somewhere on second floor, after clearing a room of enemies (including, sometimes, the boss room), a golden cell key will drop. Use this to unlock the cell and talk to the people inside. They will appear somewhere in The Breach, and many have ways to help you, including selling you new things to have appear in the Gungeon, which leads to our next point...

Buying things with Hegemony Credits (the green things bosses drop). Once you've unlocked your first allies (Cadence and her robot companion) they'll operate a store next to the entrance to the Gungeon in the Breach. I recommend prioritizing the Heart items as when you find/purchase them they give you a full heart container.

Repairing the Elevator. After you take the elevator down to level 2, step out of the bullet and when it drops down, follow it! Down there you will find a secret guy who will be hanging down there on future visits and asking for items to fix the elevator. Once he's done this, you can start the game at floor 2, and he'll move down to floor 3, etc.

Gameplay tips:

Every floor has the regular merchant. You can unlock other merchants by rescuing them.

Cursula, the homestuck looking lady, sells items at a steep discount, but she gives you some curse. Curse affects how often enemies show up as "jammed" (super strong red versions).

The lock guy buys things with keys, not with casings.

Kill the boss without taking any damage (including having him break armor) to earn a Master Shell, which you both need to fix the elevators and it acts as an extra heart.

Every floor has two chest rooms and a secret room.

Brown Chests suck. Don't waste keys on these. You'll average about 1.5 keys or so a floor, or less, and later floors will have doors that are locked, hiding chests or sometimes the merchant!

Secret rooms need a blank to open them up. Popping a blank in a room will reveal any secret rooms in that room. This includes blanks from armor popping and other atypical blank sources. Secret rooms can be in the post-boss elevator room, so if you have extra blanks always check there.

Secret room walls do not look any different from regular walls UNTIL they are hit by an enemy shot or any shot from a gun of yours that doesn't have infinite ammo (the starting guns), then they will start developing a black crack like the one visible in the tutorial room. In general I don't like to waste ammo searching for them, I'll just use my blanks.

Secret rooms are always the same size, about the size of elevator room, and I think they only have one entrance/exit.

The first half of your dodge roll is invulnerable, the second half is not. This means you want to be using it to jump over bullets, not dodge to the side of bullets, or else you'll wind up landing on another bullet while not invulnerable. You can blank while rolling if you notice you've screwed up and are super fast.

Your dodge roll deals 1 damage to enemies. This lets you kill the bullats and the tiniest slimes.

Standing on poison (green) or acid (yellow) fills up a meter over your characters head. When it fills up, you take a damage. Until then, no damage. Dodge rolling pauses this meter, so you can roll over poison without taking damage or walk over small bits.

Touching fire sets you on fire, which starts filling a fire meter over your head. Dodge rolling resets this and will put out the fire eventually. When the meter fills up, you take damage and the meter restarts.

When you flip a table, it kills all the bullets around it and takes no damage. This means when a Gun Nut or other many-bulleted enemy is next to the table, you can flip it right as they attack to negate the attack. If you flip it prematurely, they can sometimes break the table with their attack and still hit you.

Press and hold up on the dpad to drop guns, down to drop active items, and open up the map (L2) and select a passive with the dpad and press triangle to drop passives. Drop items on the gutter slime that shows up in teh shop to sell items to him. Dropping and picking up heart containers (including master shells) will empty them, so don't do this when you have full life (or ever, because they're awesome items).

PS4 is not up to date with the PC patches, which means selling Junk will get you like 50 casings.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think I'm done with the game. If they try to buff some of the guns (or even just excise ones that are overly gimmicky or weak) or fix the dumb HP scaling I'll give it another shot, but it seems like they went out of their way to make sure nothing stood out at all. Even guns you get out of the big chests aren't any fun.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I put two guns into a gunmuncher and got a pea shooter today.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wow, thanks! I did meet the elevator guy, but hadn't seen him on level 2 since then. I'll dip down into that lil room next time. Starting in at least level 2 would be great, as the first level is getting boring, and I've probably been relying on the starter pistol more than anything else so far anyway.

Who do you sell items to? I don't remember seeing the option at the moustached shopkeeper dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The green gun munchers only give out poo poo guns most likely. Its only yellow onces that given decent results.

Items can only be sold to grate-man.

Edit: Bosses and Bullet hell aside the game becomes piss easy once you learn which enemies actually fire in which patterns/lead shots and which dont.