Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Believe you me, the former is the only one that matters anymore :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kalli posted:

Freezing Cold Takes is the best

Lmao

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Lawrence Jackson wrote something stupid about not paying your workers.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Lawrence Jackson wrote something stupid about not paying your workers.

Incredibly stupid and myopic in it's failure to discuss the the billions these athletes generate at the college level.

quote:

But today, the NFL has made football valuable. College players are seeing themselves as pros and deserving of money. They see guys getting hundreds of thousands to millions and want a piece of the pie. The rational makes sense but they forget this is capitalism.

LOLOLOL. Capitalism would dictate that workers would be correct to expect compensation more in line with the value they create.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Neil Armbong posted:

Incredibly stupid and myopic in it's failure to discuss the the billions these athletes generate at the college level.

LOLOLOL. Capitalism would dictate that workers would be correct to expect compensation more in line with the value they create.

He really shot himself in the foot by referring to them as workers and not "student athletes"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

He really shot himself in the foot by referring to them as workers and not "student athletes"

He just endorsed slavery, or at the very least indentured servitude (slavery). :can:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
He also misspelled rationale and ended up with a hilarious axiom because of it.

Yes, by definition the rational makes sense.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's the wrongest sentence you're going to see in 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Do any of your respective ESPN beat writers contribute worthwhile content? James Walker just reposts stuff from various sources.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tiecher does his own stuff for the Chiefs. It's of somewhat questionable value a lot of the time but he does have his own ideas.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike Reiss is pretty good.

He gets worse the longer he's been with ESPN, but all in all he's still one of the earlier sources for reputable information.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Coley Harvey is the Bengals guy, he's not bad. Rarely scoops the Cincy enquirer guys but worth a Twitter follow at least.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't even know who covers the Seahawks right now. It used to be Mike Sando (bland but inoffensive) but they moved him somewhere else recently.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ehud posted:

Do any of your respective ESPN beat writers contribute worthwhile content? James Walker just reposts stuff from various sources.

Tania Ganguli for the Texans is pretty decent. I think she's been the only one who has done it since it used to just be per-division, and Paul Kuharsky (I think he does the Titans now?) never did any in-depth original stuff.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Vaughn McClure is with ESPN and is bland. D Orlando Leadbetter is from the AJC (local paper) and he's loving horrible.

We used to have Steve Wyche, but he works for NFL Network now so we're stuck with these turds.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Ben Goessling seemingly writes his own stuff for the Vikings but the content regularly overlaps what appears on the local ESPN radio affiliate site and often a day behind.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/omarkelly/status/720583850255126528

well I'm convinced

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

lmao

Guy needs attention more than a theater tyrant. drat

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
with ya automatically installed plugin rear end

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I knew the current bills espn writer in college, hes cool. Theres a petition online to fire him because he reports negative things about the bills apparently?

https://www.change.org/p/espn-remove-espn-com-writer-for-the-buffalo-bills-mike-rodak

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I knew the current bills espn writer in college, hes cool. Theres a petition online to fire him because he reports negative things about the bills apparently?

https://www.change.org/p/espn-remove-espn-com-writer-for-the-buffalo-bills-mike-rodak

Mike Rodak rules, and if he does get fired, it'll be a lovely move for all concerned.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
he told me that hes not worried because after that went up his pageviews did too, lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

literally nothing of consequence has ever been changed by a change.org petition.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bring back FakeOmarKelly, imo

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GNU Order posted:

Bring back FakeOmarKelly, imo

Literally everyone quit.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Doing a fake Omar account is impossible because nobody can out-Omar Omar

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

Doing a fake Omar account is impossible because nobody can out-Omar Omar

I'm pretty sure the real Omar would even agree with this sentiment. Because he keeps it REAL or some such bullshit.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
One of my favorites, Albert Breer, is leaving NFL network for MMQB. He was on 98.5 in Boston this morning and revealed he was banned from Gillette Stadium for his questions during the famed "We're on to Cincinnati" press conference.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't get to follow the NFL much anymore unfortunately, but who are the biggest journalists that actually take the league to task for all the shady poo poo they pull? The Rich Eisens and the Adam Schefter's seem to have a very clear idea of who signs their paychecks and go out of their way to never bring up anything like public money in the league, much less profit margins. Any other journalists who do regularly, or do they all get ridden out of town immediately?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Keith older man, Katie Nolan, Bill Simmons, also a lot of beat writers are pretty critical of the NFL especially when it's about their team

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
katie nolan is cool and good, but i dont have fox sports

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Oh God I just realized any future Tunsil stories are gonna be reported by Omar Kelly

Buckle the gently caress in

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Omar went from supporting the Tunsil pick to being "indifferent" about it rather quickly.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

katie nolan is cool and good, but i dont have fox sports

Counterpoint: gently caress all the pats fans.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I'd gently caress that Pats fan in particular.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
LeBatard was like the only one talking about how the NFL lost against the NFLPA when they hid millions of dollars from the players. He is also one of the few ESPN guys that tends to side with players of the league on most issues.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

CubanMissile posted:

Omar went from supporting the Tunsil pick to being "indifferent" about it rather quickly.

Now I'm even more on board.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So if I want to follow the Falcons more closely, where do I go? Is the AJC as bad with them as they are with the Braves?

*'Bad' in the sense of being a house organ for the team or something close.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 30, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh God I just realized any future Tunsil stories are gonna be reported by Omar Kelly

Buckle the gently caress in

Omar is such a jackass. He's spent the last few days acting as if he's the final word on draft prospects while simultaneously advising his female followers on when they should and should not wear makeup around guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Pershing posted:

So if I want to follow the Falcons more closely, where do I go? Is the AJC as bad with them as they are with the Braves?

*'Bad' in the sense of being a house organ for the team or something close.

Orlando Ledbetter is the Falcons' AJC guy and he's incredibly bland but good with news stuff. As a whole though my perception is that the AJC spends their time writing hate mail to Dimitroff. Jason Kirk is one of the big wigs at SBNation and a Falcons fan so he's a fun follow but The Falcoholic is utter garbage so stay away.

FWIW Kevin Acee is a good Chargers beat guy (Union Tribune) and runs a decent radio show on mighty 1090 that isn't god awful

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 30, 2016

• Locked thread