Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

stinkles1112 posted:

Ramsay passing off his patricide as assassination by the enemies of House Bolton is maybe not completely stupid, depending how they execute it.

It will be executed: badly

Seriously the Winterfell plot is by far the most compelling part of ADwD, what with the claustrophobia, Manderly's subterfuge, Roose trying to keep his allies while also pitting them against one another, unexplained murders, Theon possibly having a psychotic break... and what we end up with is Ramsey basically becoming an all-powerful supervillain and everything else just kind of revolving around whatever lovely thing he'll do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
For all his faults GRRM is good at nuance. The series has stopped using nuance since the end of Season 4.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

But Roose isn't a super infallible genius, either here or in the books. He's made the same incredibly stupid mistakes in the book of legitimizing his murder happy bastard son who he knows has killed his sibling before, and then implying that said son could be replaced. Nobody is immortal and if Roose was half as intelligent as fandom gives him credit for he should have gotten rid of Ramsey long ago.

And here's how Ramsey keeps Winterfell in line: do as I say or I will kill you in an extremely unpleasant manner. A social contract with strong historical basis.

He's not an infallible genius, you're right, but book Roose is definitely more wary of Ramsay than show Roose. Book Roose literally has a body double greet Ramsay at Moat Cailin just to see if he'll try to kill Roose. He'd never hug his son right after telling him that he's just had a trueborn son who could easily displace Ramsay as his heir. Of course, characters can be different in the original vs the adaptation, but it certainly is a difference.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Roose 'murdered his lord for being an idiot' Bolton gets stabbed while hugging his psycho bastard son.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
There was a dumb theory during season 2 about how Dagmer Cleftjaw was Ramsay in disguise. The evidence was that he was taking over Ramsay's role, didn't have a cleft chin and (gasp) the kraken on his breastplate looked like it had been torn or 'flayed' off. Just people wanting the show to be more like the books even if it made no sense. That's it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Beeez posted:

Book Roose literally has a body double greet Ramsay at Moat Cailin just to see if he'll try to kill Roose.
What? It's been a while, but I thought that was because he was afraid of a crannogman picking him off with a poisoned arrow, so he went incognito.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Well, in that chapter even before the lie is exposed Theon notes that Roose Bolton would not be slain by an arrow, so I figured that meant Roose' caution was for a different reason. But maybe I misinterpreted it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ague Proof posted:

Episode 2 is a Dave Hill.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sounds like a solid episode, imo.

Maybe we've been wrong :confused:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You guys seem to forget that Roose on the show isn't quite as crafty, cautious and awesome as he is in the books and is generally a rather one dimensional character that successfully pulls off one single betrayal which wasn't even his idea in the first place, he has a few funny moments such as torturing Jaime with the news from the blackwater but all in all he's been pretty useless, after the red wedding it's actually Ramsay that does all of the heavy lifting while Roose pops up once every few episodes to tell Ramsay that some of his past blunders were avoidable.

Show Ramsay has completely outgrown Roose, it would make perfect sense if the men would remain loyal to him cause he's a huge loving badass who wins every battle and why shouldn't they love him? Who cares about their dweeb lord and his chubby frey wife?

TK-42-1 posted:

Maybe we've been wrong :confused:

Hey it could still be written terribly, the synopsis sounds promising but I think it's too early to lose hope, Dave Hill might yet provide an episode full of bad pussies.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
This year, emanresu tnuocca is a writer for the show.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You guys seem to forget that Roose on the show isn't quite as crafty, cautious and awesome as he is in the books and is generally a rather one dimensional character that successfully pulls off one single betrayal which wasn't even his idea in the first place, he has a few funny moments such as torturing Jaime with the news from the blackwater but all in all he's been pretty useless, after the red wedding it's actually Ramsay that does all of the heavy lifting while Roose pops up once every few episodes to tell Ramsay that some of his past blunders were avoidable.

Show Ramsay has completely outgrown Roose, it would make perfect sense if the men would remain loyal to him cause he's a huge loving badass who wins every battle and why shouldn't they love him? Who cares about their dweeb lord and his chubby frey wife?

Hey it could still be written terribly, the synopsis sounds promising but I think it's too early to lose hope, Dave Hill might yet provide an episode full of bad pussies.

Uh show Roose is a recognized master of the backstab, and he's crafty enough to make it work for him. He gets named as Warden of the North by betraying the Starks to their enemies, and his house profits. Then he betrays his promises to the Lannisters and makes an alliance with Littlefinger to cement his hold on the north and potentially secure it as a separate kingdom once again. And it's not like the Lannisters will be able to get through the neck with their exhausted armies and mount a campaign before winter sets in fully.

Ramsay's a fuckup who is ruled by his sociopathic desires, the only evidence we have of him being good at war is that Stannis jobbed for him offscreen. He certainly can't hold the north, and probably won't even be able to keep control of his family's ancestral lands, because he has a talent for alienating people and pissing them off.

And show Roose doesn't seem to like his son that much, why would he trust the kid that he doesn't like, who won't listen to him or follow orders, not to stab him in the back when that's what he has been doing to others for like 2.5 seasons?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol at Roose getting Bad Pussyed in the back. This show...

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I feel sad for Fat Walda. She's getting Bad Pussyed by dogs. :(

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

akulanization posted:

Uh show Roose is a recognized master of the backstab, and he's crafty enough to make it work for him. He gets named as Warden of the North by betraying the Starks to their enemies, and his house profits. Then he betrays his promises to the Lannisters and makes an alliance with Littlefinger to cement his hold on the north and potentially secure it as a separate kingdom once again. And it's not like the Lannisters will be able to get through the neck with their exhausted armies and mount a campaign before winter sets in fully.

Ramsay's a fuckup who is ruled by his sociopathic desires, the only evidence we have of him being good at war is that Stannis jobbed for him offscreen. He certainly can't hold the north, and probably won't even be able to keep control of his family's ancestral lands, because he has a talent for alienating people and pissing them off.

And show Roose doesn't seem to like his son that much, why would he trust the kid that he doesn't like, who won't listen to him or follow orders, not to stab him in the back when that's what he has been doing to others for like 2.5 seasons?

Uh so sorry, that's two betrayals he didn't set up on his own, the latter he also hosed up by allowing Ramsay to be a piece of poo poo to Sansa. Show Roose is a dweeb, Show Ramsay is a fooking legend.

Whether Ramsay can logistically hold the north or not doesn't matter, this is the show that brought us "none of the palace guards in the water gardens are loyal to their liege", poo poo just doesn't matter anymore.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Haha, someone on Reddit was like 'omg this episode sounds so great!' from the spoilers. This year, Dave Hill is a poster on Reddit!

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Jesus Christ, Ramsay really is the Dexter of this show

E: And seriously, what is it with this show And wasting its actors? Much as I like Iwan Rheon, Michael McElhatton is great, and Roose should be a far cooler antagonist

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 30, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope Mel resurrects Karl Tanner legend of gin alley instead of Jon

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

zVxTeflon posted:

I hope Mel resurrects Karl Tanner legend of gin alley instead of Jon
I'd previously only known that actor from his role as Dr Gottlieb in Pacific Rim, so hearing those words come out of his mouth was…interesting.

A fookin' legend, that man.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Boltons are like a cartoon within this gay show.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Beeez posted:

He's not an infallible genius, you're right, but book Roose is definitely more wary of Ramsay than show Roose. Book Roose literally has a body double greet Ramsay at Moat Cailin just to see if he'll try to kill Roose. He'd never hug his son right after telling him that he's just had a trueborn son who could easily displace Ramsay as his heir. Of course, characters can be different in the original vs the adaptation, but it certainly is a difference.

Haha what? When was this? I just reread the books and I don't remember this at all.

e: oh someone immediately already asked you this sorry.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Isn't giving gratitude the same thing as saying thanks? Dany tells the khal if he gets her back to mereen, he'll have her gratitude, but there shouldn't be a word for that in dothraki, right?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Hope they continue with the melodramatic, consistently inconsistent characterization and Ramsey runs into some heartfelt letter left by his dad in episode 3

Also that Euron scene sounds loving retarded

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Next episode is going to start with Ramsay and Roose walking into a room and closing the door. Some time passes and the door opens, Ramsay walks out with a little bit of blood around the edge of his face and a flayed body on the ground in the background. He tucks in his skin a bit around the edges and goes about his day. Cut to opening.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I swear if the entirety of the Iron Islands scenes is Balon scolding her daughter and then cuts to him crossing a rickety rear end bridge in the middle of a thunderstorm ambushed by Euron apropos of nothing I'm gonna flip out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did they bring in the iron islanders this late in the game.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I can understand Ramsay knifing Roose, his biggest goal is to win his father's approval, but his next biggest goal is to be the lord of House Bolton, and that's not going to happen with a legitimate son.

I'm just surprised Roose would let Ramsay get the best of him.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Cycling out filler dorne for filler iron islands.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because last season they had a choice of filming in sunny Spain for Dorne or another wet, windy field in Northern Ireland for the Ironborn and what would you go for

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is Ramsay and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he’ll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, Ramsay Snow. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling all at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, Ramsay. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because they thought they were going to get more seasons and also another book before Season 7, so this season's mostly filler.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is Ramsay and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he’ll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, Ramsay Snow. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling all at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, Ramsay. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

This year, Cormac McCarthy is a writer on the show.

But just imagine. That could actually be great.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, The Counsellor was great so his version of GoT would be amazing :geno:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
While it's still pretty schlocky I'm kind of hyped about this show again. It sounds like the show does more in these first two episodes to advance and consolidate the plot than the last 2 books combined have.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm thinking, if the leak is true, that Bran will try to get into Hodor's mind by saying "Hodor" since that's who he's ever known him as, and that'll gently caress up his mind because you aren't supposed to do that or something.

Only reason I think that is we know Bran in the books contacted Theon by saying his name, and the raven is always saying Snow to Jon, so maybe he goes beyond Bloodraven's teaching and tries to warg or influence past Hodor's mind like he has in the present. Like going "Hodor! Hodor! to try and change something that happened in the past.

Okay my brain hurts now, thanks for taking my call.

radlum
May 13, 2013
To be honest, the best part of the Mass Effect ending thing was the backlash the "modified" ending got, by people arguing about "artistic integrity".

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

the jizz taxi posted:

This year, Cormac McCarthy is a writer on the show.

But just imagine. That could actually be great.

Spoilers for next episode -

Monologue read by James Earl Jones over an hour's footage of desert landscapes: "Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents and the humiliation of defeat and the pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake because they inhere in the worth of the principals and define them. But trial of chance or trial of worth all games aspire to the condition of the Game of Thrones for here that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.

Suppose two men at cards with nothing to wager save their lives. Who has not heard such a tale? A turn of the card. The whole universe for such a player has labored clanking to this moment which will tell if he is to die at that man's hand or that man at his. What more certain validation of a man's worth could there be? This enhancement of the game to its ultimate state admits no argument concerning the notion of fate. The selection of one man over another is a preference absolute and irrevocable and it is a dull man indeed who could reckon so profound a decision without agency or significance either one. In such games as have for their stake the annihilation of the defeated the decisions are quite clear. This man holding this particular arrangement in his hand is thereby removed from existence.

This is the nature of the Game of Thrones, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, it is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one's will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. The Game of Thrones is the ultimate game because it is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. The Game is God."

aaaand roll credits.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

PostNouveau posted:

Because they thought they were going to get more seasons and also another book before Season 7, so this season's mostly filler.

That's not correct, D&D have been on record for years saying that they were hoping to do 7 seasons.

Though I bet they did expect another book by now but they didn't account for GRRM being an absolute fucker.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The thing with Ramsay is that in the books he is not really around for so long. He is secretly Reek in A Clash of Kings before showing up years later in A Dance with Dragons and he will most likely die in Winds of Winter, so he doesn't stick around longer than necessary. In the show though, he has been around since Season Three and his plotline has overstayed its welcome. While Seasons One and Two were faithful adaptations, they started changing things in Season Three (by necessity, to be fair) and all the plotlines were strewn about in a way that was hard to pace properly.

Not properly adapting the "Grand Northern Conspiracy" is a huge mistake and did a great disservice to the Bolton and Stannis plotlines, because lord knows they have just been spinning in place for a few years now

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

Episode 2 synopsis:

The Mountain kills a secondary

Interesting. Maybe it's Lancel? Or Qyburn in a lab accident?? The first seems more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Maybe it's Kevan, if he tries to stop/reason with Cersei.

• Locked thread