Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Seph posted:

I like this theory. Also, Theon Reek technically has king's blood since Balon declared himself King of the Iron Islands.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it would make sense to go that way. At present, Theon is probably more Stark than Greyjoy mentally, given his experiences since he landed on Pyke, and we know the Starks are all about honor. Sacrificing himself to bring one of them back would be a pretty decent way to regain lost honor after his betrayal, and it seems doubtful that he's going to be all that exited about living out the rest of his life anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
When Jorah and Dario were looking for Dani and found the massive ring of trampled, muddy ground I couldn't help but laugh and suggest it was actually where Dani had poo poo everywhere.

Areo Hotah confirmed as the worst bodyguard. Yeah, this armed known traitor-assassin can chill behind me, NBD. Check the mood of the rest of the bodyguard force? No need!

Trystain: You two are here to kill me? Ok, let me just position myself between you and turn my back on the spear-girl assassin, literally the worst possible place to be. What could go wrong?
I honestly thought he was going to fake them out by focusing on the whip-girl, who could not possibly swing her weapon in the cabin, suddenly turn and stab spear-snake, and then kill Whippy McGimmickweapon. But no, turns out he was an idiot - possibly he was trained by Areo? I know GoT likes to subvert the "honorable combat" trope, but its becoming a parody now.

Shouldn't people be burning Jon's body before he comes back as an ice-zombie? No one even seems to be worried about it happening.

As a general thing in the books too, what does Thorne think will happen now he's killed the only guy the vast force of Wildlings which are already south of the wall respected enough to make peace with? Shanking Jon before they were allowed through the wall would have made so much more sense, this just seems to be signing the Watch's death warrant out of spite.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Seph posted:

I like this theory. Also, Theon Reek technically has king's blood since Balon declared himself King of the Iron Islands.

I would imagine the whole "kings blood" magic thing requires a bit more than someone just claiming they are a king, then all of their relatives suddenly have magic blood, or she could just force a random person to claim that they are king of that field to have infinite magic blood.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

I would imagine the whole "kings blood" magic thing requires a bit more than someone just claiming they are a king, then all of their relatives suddenly have magic blood, or she could just force a random person to claim that they are king of that field to have infinite magic blood.

Well, also Thoros of Myr wasn't burning people to death every time he brought back that guy in the Brotherhood Without Banners. I know Melisandre is obsessed with burning people, but resurrection seems to be like the one thing that doesn't require anybody to get burned. I don't know why everyone is suddenly assuming someone is going to die to bring Jon back when the one example we have of this happening didn't involve that.

e: her burning Shireen without actually accomplishing anything may have also broken her "yeah burn everyone" spirit in case you want an in-universe explanation for why suddenly she wouldn't want to burn everybody all the time for no reason

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Here comes House Killjoy to ruin another good burning.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Because the entire time that Oberyn is in King's Landing, he's bragging about how Dornish culture is better and less judgmental. And he's clearly right to a degree, but he's still a rich boy from a royal family. When Cersei says "Everywhere in the world, they hurt little girls," she's absolutely right. Life might be better for wealthy women in Dorne than it is for wealthy women in King's Landing, but I'm willing to bet that for the peasants, poo poo ain't that different.

I'm not saying that he didn't mean it. He definitely believed it, but he's also blinded by his love of his country and family.

While I'm totally with you the Oberyn doesn't and couldn't speak for Dorne, since he was the playboy younger prince, I was referring specifically to Oberyn's personal values. He would not approve of hurting a girl. He would not want his family killed. Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are supposedly people who loved him and knew him for decades; the problem is not that Dorne does not share Oberyn's values, it's that a. none of his children share any of his values and b. they have all decided that nothing he really cared about loving matters at all

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I feel like you're focusing on the fact that it's Cersei who's saying it too much. I'm just saying that moment, that refutation of Oberyn's point of view, shines a light on a larger truth in the story: Oberyn allows his love of his country and family to cloud his vision of reality. He's an idealist. He thinks that if the whole world worked like Dorne, there'd be no more problems. I think that he's either unaware or intentionally ignoring the problems in his own country.

Ironically, it's that passion he has for his country and family that ends up creating more problems for them. He's not planning for the moment after he kills The Mountain or for what will happen in the case that he loses. He's just out to get justice for his sister. As an indirect result of his actions, his home is plunged into unrest and his brother and nephew are killed at the hands of other members of his own family. His passion and idealism tear his country and family apart.

There's no way he could've been like "Well, the only thing keeping my lover and daughters from murdering my whole family is me." If you wanna blame him, blame him for apparently taking one psycho for a lover and then somehow raising 4 others (with different mothers).

Raxivace posted:

Crackpot theory: Melisandre will bring Jon Snow back to life, but she won't sacrifice herself to do it. Instead...she will burn Sansa Stark, sister to the former King in the North, who is conveniently heading toward the Wall as we speak.

Just imagine the rage this would inspire on the internet.

EDIT: Consider how in season 1 Sansa's direwolf was sacrificed so another direwolf could live. Foreshadowing?

Winterfell is pretty far from the Wall, Jon will not be looking great if they wait that long. Especially since they're keeping him indoors

vyelkin posted:

Well, also Thoros of Myr wasn't burning people to death every time he brought back that guy in the Brotherhood Without Banners. I know Melisandre is obsessed with burning people, but resurrection seems to be like the one thing that doesn't require anybody to get burned. I don't know why everyone is suddenly assuming someone is going to die to bring Jon back when the one example we have of this happening didn't involve that.

e: her burning Shireen without actually accomplishing anything may have also broken her "yeah burn everyone" spirit in case you want an in-universe explanation for why suddenly she wouldn't want to burn everybody all the time for no reason

Burning Shireen worked! The problem was that Stannis was lovely, not that her magic failed. She should doubt whatever her sense was that led her to Stannis, not her human-powered powers.

But yeah, resurrection magic has not been shown to require fuel.

Darkrenown posted:

Shouldn't people be burning Jon's body before he comes back as an ice-zombie? No one even seems to be worried about it happening.

As a general thing in the books too, what does Thorne think will happen now he's killed the only guy the vast force of Wildlings which are already south of the wall respected enough to make peace with? Shanking Jon before they were allowed through the wall would have made so much more sense, this just seems to be signing the Watch's death warrant out of spite.

I assume they saw his body and panicked, and wanted to keep it from being destroyed before they could figure out what was going on (maybe the traitors were going to try to frame the wildlings). But that would be hilarious if a Walker just snuck up on Castle Black and got him

Before Jon got them through the Wall, all Thorne had was a grudge. And if he stopped them from coming through, he's betraying all the Watchmen that went with Jon, as well as openly disobeying an order. Thorne hated Jon, but it does seem like he takes his oaths seriously, and only when he thought Jon had crossed an unforgivable line did he act. The fact that that it was suicidal and stupid doesn't matter. He pulled a Stannis, basically (though with less hypocrisy and cruelty, obviously).

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 30, 2016

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
It's Game of Thrones, the need to be grimdark and subvert tropes trumps logic. Someones going on the pyre.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mr Beens posted:

You would imagine, but that's literally not the case. In the books, Mance Rayder had a baby and Melisandre was pretty intent on burning it.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

A king is a societal construct anyways. If a random dude in a field convinced enough people he was king then he would be a king and therefore would have kings blood

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah I don't think the focus on king's blood is some loud endorsement of monarchy or anything, rather it's a recognition that a person who is a king wields a ton of power, over people and over the world, and using king's blood is a way to tap into that power on a magical level (so it works even if nobody else realizes the person is related to a king, like Gendry). Mance became a king by essentially forging his own nation and crowning himself, so he had king's blood. On the contrary, some random guy declaring himself a king but not actually wielding any power wouldn't have king's blood because it's more about the societal construct than the legal definition.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

vyelkin posted:

Yeah I don't think the focus on king's blood is some loud endorsement of monarchy or anything, rather it's a recognition that a person who is a king wields a ton of power, over people and over the world, and using king's blood is a way to tap into that power on a magical level (so it works even if nobody else realizes the person is related to a king, like Gendry). Mance became a king by essentially forging his own nation and crowning himself, so he had king's blood. On the contrary, some random guy declaring himself a king but not actually wielding any power wouldn't have king's blood because it's more about the societal construct than the legal definition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXmwK2-R2dY

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I fully support them waiting so long to rezz Jon that he becomes Skelejon, which is a skeleton with Jon Snow's hair and a grudge six feet deep. But as he's the only good guy on the show, he does not act on it. And try and stab him now, assholes.

He will also match his direwolf better that way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MG3 posted:

A king is a societal construct anyways. If a random dude in a field convinced enough people he was king then he would be a king and therefore would have kings blood

I think that's kinda the point though?

Its mentioned that magic was pretty much dead and gone and most people didn't even believe in it, especially the maester (although they may be working against it intentionally), but we see that since the show started, the coming of the white walkers / others and Danny's dragon has caused a reawakening of magic.

It could be that part of that kind of symbolic magic is that merely having enough people swear fealty to you and call you their king gives you some form of magic power.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Predictions for next episode:

Hodor walks into a market and finds a vendor. He throws a few copper pieces on the counter and says "give me a pack of ye olde smokes and your finest tittay parchements". It is revealed that Bran is warging him!

Lysa surprises Littlefinger by showing up at the castle and reclaiming her position, then has him executed (she landed in some snow)

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
I would find it hilarious if Jon was never resurrected. It would only fit the ongoing game of thrones theme.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Windfall posted:

Can you finish the remaining book series for GRRM please

I should have worked in the word "artisanal" and mentioned lemon cakes. I failed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mide posted:

I would find it hilarious if Jon was never resurrected. It would only fit the ongoing game of thrones theme.

I hope Bran flashbacks and figures out who Jon Snow's parents were but it doesn't matter because he never comes back to life. So at the Stark family reunion Bran is like "Guys I know who Jon Snow's parents were" and the other Starks are like "Jon Snow is dead, who gives a poo poo?" and then all the fans kill themselves.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ni8cHfDs-8

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I went back and watched the Brienne rescuing Sansa scene and counted the dead Bolton dudes for those whining about continuity for the disappearing dogs. There are 4 guys on horses and 2 on foot handling dogs. First guy is cut down by Brienne and Pod goes to fight one dude on horseback with his non-sword-fighting skills. Brienne gets knocked off her horse by horseman #2 who dismounts and fights her, loses, and dies. Brienne knocks down horseman #3 and his horse, then kills him with a dagger. Pod kills horseman #4 with his desperate lunge thing and falls off the horse. The two dudes on foot must be watching this the whole time, standing around or something. One of the guys on foot decides to jump into the fight and Pod takes him on, but gets stabbed by Reek. Guy on foot #2 (with the dogs) doesn't die and must have run off since we don't see him again.

Now we don't have to worry about vanishing dogs.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Hamlet442 posted:

I went back and watched the Brienne rescuing Sansa scene and counted the dead Bolton dudes for those whining about continuity for the disappearing dogs. There are 4 guys on horses and 2 on foot handling dogs. First guy is cut down by Brienne and Pod goes to fight one dude on horseback with his non-sword-fighting skills. Brienne gets knocked off her horse by horseman #2 who dismounts and fights her, loses, and dies. Brienne knocks down horseman #3 and his horse, then kills him with a dagger. Pod kills horseman #4 with his desperate lunge thing and falls off the horse. The two dudes on foot must be watching this the whole time, standing around or something. One of the guys on foot decides to jump into the fight and Pod takes him on, but gets stabbed by Reek. Guy on foot #2 (with the dogs) doesn't die and must have run off since we don't see him again.

Now we don't have to worry about vanishing dogs.

Whew glad that's cleared up

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

But what were the dogs names?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
And are they good dogs?

edit. To actually add something, a surviving witness means the Boltons will know Brienne was the one to save them, even if they only know it was a tall sword wielding woman in armor. No time for a leisurely stroll back.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Crackpot theory: Melisandre will bring Jon Snow back to life, but she won't sacrifice herself to do it. Instead...she will burn Sansa Stark, sister to the former King in the North, who is conveniently heading toward the Wall as we speak.

Just imagine the rage this would inspire on the internet.

EDIT: Consider how in season 1 Sansa's direwolf was sacrificed so another direwolf could live. Foreshadowing?

This would be so hilariously awesome, I really hope it happens now.

"It's just gotta work this time!"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ruddiger posted:

This would be so hilariously awesome, I really hope it happens now.

"It's just gotta work this time!"

Listen, I know you guys know how I feel. But lemme just put this idea out there again: Let's burn somebody.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Maarak posted:

And are they good dogs?

edit. To actually add something, a surviving witness means the Boltons will know Brienne was the one to save them, even if they only know it was a tall sword wielding woman in armor. No time for a leisurely stroll back.

I honestly can't imagine someone going back to Ramsay to report failure. Like... Dude's definitely gonna get flayed, right?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Bobo the Red posted:

I honestly can't imagine someone going back to Ramsay to report failure. Like... Dude's definitely gonna get flayed, right?

But what if he was one of the Goodmen?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

Aren't many of those left now that Brienne has killed like 6.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bobo the Red posted:

Maybe he'll be at Castle Black at the start of tomorrow's episode.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

akulanization posted:

Aren't many of those left now that Brienne has killed like 6.

14 good men is still enough to take out at least a small army

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Apoplexy posted:

He was not of the Goodmen. The Goodmen do not flee.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Is the greatjon one of the goodmen

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

whalestory posted:

Is the greatjon one of the goodmen

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Ramsay's Goodmen thus far have defeated

1. Stannis's most loyal soldiers
2. the famous merc companies he hired
3. "50 of the best warriors on the Iron Islands"
4. Theon's most loyal soldiers

They ought to team up with the Sand Snakes and conquer the world.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sorry pal it was the DOGS that chased off the Greyjoy crew.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Ramsay's Goodmen thus far have defeated

1. Stannis's most loyal soldiers
2. the famous merc companies he hired
3. "50 of the best warriors on the Iron Islands"
4. Theon's most loyal soldiers

They ought to team up with the Sand Snakes and conquer the world.

You don't wanna know what Bronn can do with 10 good men and some climbing spikes.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I miss Bronn

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Na'at posted:

I miss Bronn
Bronn fell overboard in a drunken stupor, got picked up by Gendry and Blackfish.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jon will be resurrected my melisandre.

Then he will realize that he touched a 130 year old woman's boobs, choke on his own vomit and die again.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Na'at posted:

I miss Bronn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5V8ecsrxeY

Here, this will make you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Nope... That's just making me miss him more. :(

• Locked thread