Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't get penisy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

China vs. Volvo

https://twitter.com/Chateau_Margaux/status/725613073881399296

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

TheDon01 posted:

Was doing some maintenance up on a roof and I look over and see this little guy hanging out where he shouldn't belong.

That sign is about 25' off the ground.

amazing

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Maybe someone stuck it up there as part of a geocache or scavenger hunt or something...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kyle Schwarber's old car must've thrown a rod.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Is there a vape cloud anywhere to be seen? It's probably a WRX conrod :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Holy poo poo, like a mashed MR2 soda can.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Man, cars would be so much better without safety regulations"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hate to burst your bubble guys but there's no way that conrod came out of an engine that way, the rod bearing cap is bolted on still. It was thrown there by someone.

EKDS5k posted:

Ehhh, ironically things get easier to work with once they hit a certain size and weight: it's futile to try and do it alone on site, so it gets driven into a shop where they just use a forklift to take it off. If it's a fancy shop they even have a special attachment for the forklift so the tire can't fall off while you're driving it around.

For something like a 300lb tire I would just get it into position leaning against the hub, and then use two 4' prybars to lift it up and hang it on the hub itself. Then rotate it by hand until the lugs line up. If it doesn't have a hub to hang on, it's more of a pain in the rear end, but you can use the prybars to rotate it bit by bit until it hangs on the studs.

Where someone really has a heart attack is when they see the bill. I've never priced out a tire that size, but extrapolating from the ones I have, easily over $10k. I wouldn't be surprised if they were more than $20k each.

It was a front tire for me, and the hubs don't stick out past the lug studs, so I got to dick around with it. Fortunately I hadn't jacked it up far enough (since I jacked it up just enough to get the flat tire off), so I rotated it on the ground till the lugs lined up approximately, then slowly jacked it up till the holes lined up and wrestled it on. Still had to lift it about half an inch because I accidentally parked with the flat tire in a small depression so it had to be a little too high to sneak the wheel/tire over the edge of the hole, then lift it up slightly.

I was using an HF 3 ton floor jack to lift the frontend of a 20k lb truck, and it was making some horrifying creaking noises the whole time, so I certainly breathed easier once a couple lug nuts were started.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Hate to burst your bubble guys but there's no way that conrod came out of an engine that way, the rod bearing cap is bolted on still. It was thrown there by someone.

Maybe the rotating assembly was ejected from the complete block intact, before the crank pin broke while airborne. And also the wrist pin somehow.

Didn't think of that didja smart guy?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Memento posted:

As you said, it's serious dollars for downtime. Aside from scheduled maintenance, they run 24/7. If you're hauling 400 tons of lead/zinc ore at 12%, that's 48 tons of contained metal, which is about $60k per load, wholesale from the mine to the trading house. If you're doing a run once every two hours, and you're off the haul line for 5 hours for a new tyre, welp.

This is why the sooner they move to driverless haul trucks the better - they have LIDAR systems in the front that would have detected and gone around the Awareness Cone that was on the borehole.

edit:

:psyduck:how:psyduck:

Seriously... it doesn't even look broken...

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Memento posted:

This is why the sooner they move to driverless haul trucks the better - they have LIDAR systems in the front that would have detected and gone around the Awareness Cone that was on the borehole.

I used to work on autonomous haulage systems for very big companies. They're a hilarious / horrifying / awesome mix of guesswork and mad science sometimes, but at their worst they're still infinitely superior in every way to the loving bonehead operators.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I used to drive an old 84 Volvo 240. I had it parked in front of my house, in the street, and some lady in a new Lexus was texting and crashed into the parked Volvo. It looked a lot like this.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Big crash a few weeks ago.

here is a link to the security footage of the crash:

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/driver-critical-after-tanker-truck-crash-near-saanich-hotel-1.2812249

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Someone threw a rod.

:rimshot:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I swear to God

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

I used to drive an old 84 Volvo 240. I had it parked in front of my house, in the street, and some lady in a new Lexus was texting and crashed into the parked Volvo. It looked a lot like this.

Old 240s are loving tanks. I hit a deer at 50 and all I had to do was buy a new headlight and wash off the blood and fur.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

eberbs posted:

Big crash a few weeks ago.

here is a link to the security footage of the crash:

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/driver-critical-after-tanker-truck-crash-near-saanich-hotel-1.2812249

I like how he stumbled out of the vehicle and scratched his head like HUH... how did this happen?!?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

More race car m20 engine failures, amazingly this time it isn't from our car!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like evolution in action to me, trying to save weight. You shouldn't technically need that much of middle part right? The car was just trying to shave it down and overdid it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

More race car m20 engine failures, amazingly this time it isn't from our car!

Long left hander?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So this was holding up the track for my garage door

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I take it there ought to be emphasis on the was

Is that actually any weaker in shear, I wonder?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slavvy posted:

Long left hander?

Probably, that's a known problem with the M20. I bought a crank scraper for our car and we run a 1/2 quart high just to prevent this. It's fun because long right handers tend to cause fuel starvation, fixed that with a surge tank.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

FogHelmut posted:

:tipshat:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

The springs in my panel lift door scare me.

Come to think of it, most things that store potential energy scare me.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

FogHelmut posted:

I can't believe it's enough of a cost savings to forge the threads separately, then tack weld them to the head.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What even happened there? Sheared off? Twisted off? :psyduck:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Javid posted:

What even happened there? Sheared off? Twisted off? :psyduck:

I have no idea. That was holding the track to that metal bit hanging down from the ceiling. I took it off to be able to swing the track wide a little so I could put up some shelving. It fell apart when I put it back on. Wasn't doing anything crazy, just using a ratchet and the box end of a 1/2 inch combination wrench to tighten it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
That's probably a bad weld where the raw material gets joined. Bolts are made from giant rolls of bar stock, and each new roll gets joined to the previous so the machinery runs continuously.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Regarding Connecting Rod chat:

The little 1ZZ-FE in my shitbox corolla is supposed to be using these Powder Metal, fractured cap connecting rods.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-engine/200219-powdered-metal-rods.html

http://carbuzzard.com/2011/10/cracked-connecting-rods-technology-you-want-in-an-engine/

Doesn't make a difference in a little barely stressed corolla engine, but I wonder if they end up absolutely destroyed like in the above pic more or less often than forged or cast in a hipo motor.

Interested because this is a tech I had not previously heard of.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
double post mother fucker.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Almost everything has fracture split rods nowadays, they're used more for consistency and price across millions of engines than any performance benefit.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Slavvy posted:

Almost everything has fracture split rods nowadays, they're used more for consistency and price across millions of engines than any performance benefit.

1ZZ Rods are thin little fuckers:

Must be pretty strong.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

The joke is that Volvo is now Chinese.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Reacon posted:

The joke is that Volvo is now Chinese.

I'm also pretty sure thats a fiat so it should be

Superior 5000 year old car rammed by decadent imperialist european car

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Vanagoon posted:

Regarding Connecting Rod chat:

The little 1ZZ-FE in my shitbox corolla is supposed to be using these Powder Metal, fractured cap connecting rods.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-engine/200219-powdered-metal-rods.html

http://carbuzzard.com/2011/10/cracked-connecting-rods-technology-you-want-in-an-engine/

Doesn't make a difference in a little barely stressed corolla engine, but I wonder if they end up absolutely destroyed like in the above pic more or less often than forged or cast in a hipo motor.

Interested because this is a tech I had not previously heard of.

I work at a stamping company and we use compressed powdered metal (CPM 10V specifically) for our die plates because it's one of the best combinations of toughness and hardenability you can get. So yes, compressed powdered metals can outperform forged steel, but it depends on the type of metal. The heat treatment process for CPM is sensitive and if not performed properly can result in a weak part. We use salt a bath heat treat as we found it gives better results than inert gas. These dies are used in high speed stamping (700+ strokes per minute) of steel parts, generally around Rockwell B90-B95, while the dies themselves are hardened to Rockwell C61-62.

More detail than you probably need, but yes, CPM can be good.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's not, actually. I enjoy a good, in depth :spergin: explanation.

Continue :allears:

I know I've bounced off the rev limiter in the aforementioned beater 2000 corolla much more than I should ever admit and it takes it like a champ.

Edit: Wanted to note that I beat it so because it's one of the cars saddled with the idiotic 3 speed automatic.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 2, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not a metallurgist, or even a tool maker, so it's not really my area, but I've learned a bit about it. I don't know the details for CPM 10v because it's a trademarked material. There's more information than I know about it on the manufacturer's website.

http://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/tooldie/cpm10vt.html

That said, I believe one of the critical factors in any powder metallurgy is the pressure utilized in compacting the material. Either way the results can be pretty spectacular as powder metallurgy is used to make jet turbine blades. It can also result in crap, as it's the most common method used to make cheap gears for low end tools.

One interesting example I've seen the results of in person was a roller used for forming steel which a customer had us wire EDM a keyway in the center of. It was a cylinder with a hole down the center, about 18" long with an 8" OD and 4" ID and appeared to be a solid piece of steel but with a band of tungsten carbide covering the middle 12" of the OD flush with the surface, while the ID was steel all the way through. I couldn't figure out how they made it so I asked the customer when they came to pick it up, and they said the band of carbide was made first, then the steel was formed around it from powdered metal using hot isostatic pressing. Basically they suspended the band of carbide inside a can larger than the desired OD, filled it with the powdered steel alloy, then put it into a pressure vessel and heated it to ~1800 degrees while pumping in about 20k psi of argon. This crushed the can, compressing the powdered steel alloy around the carbide cylinder, and fusing it into a solid piece.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 2, 2016