Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

MrYenko posted:

I've been at ZMA three years, and I'm still 40hrs from minimums on my last three radars. Mostly because our training department couldn't plan a four year old's birthday party.

gently caress him, and gently caress everyone in my academy class that has been CPC for a year plus.

Busiest level 11 in the world. WOOOOOOOO

Dude, blame NATCA for the region. I am absolutely not kidding. Ever talked to the NATCA President for the region? He is a loving douche nozzle poo poo lord McAsshat. How do you think ZJX feels? Not to mention the retarded extremes of WX that ZMA and ZJX deal with. Oh, and military airspace.

Regardless if you are experience or off the street, it takes winning the lottery to get hired if you don't have an in. THEN some people win the god drat powerball and get sent to cupcake factories while "earning" house-valued cars worth of income.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Dude, blame NATCA for the region. I am absolutely not kidding. Ever talked to the NATCA President for the region? He is a loving douche nozzle poo poo lord McAsshat. How do you think ZJX feels? Not to mention the retarded extremes of WX that ZMA and ZJX deal with. Oh, and military airspace.

Regardless if you are experience or off the street, it takes winning the lottery to get hired if you don't have an in. THEN some people win the god drat powerball and get sent to cupcake factories while "earning" house-valued cars worth of income.

Preach on, my brother.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Also, we need a goonATC meet, preferably where I can pet the ZJX goats and drink moonshine in the sticks.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Also, we need a goonATC meet, preferably where I can pet the ZJX goats and drink moonshine in the sticks.

I've been wanting a pet goat for a while, so moonshine and extra incentive to steal one of the baby ones might go well.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

KodiakRS posted:

Heard this the other day:

AAL1234: "Ladies and gentlemen we are beginning our final descent into ORD on American 1234 and are leaving 10 for 8 thousand with delta."
Tracon: "Nice save"

This is the best

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

KodiakRS posted:

Heard this the other day:

AAL1234: "Ladies and gentlemen we are beginning our final descent into ORD on American 1234 and are leaving 10 for 8 thousand with delta."
Tracon: "Nice save"

One for the memory bank

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just applied for a TMU job :suicide:

Whatever it takes to get me where I want to be, right?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I just applied for a TMU job :suicide:

Whatever it takes to get me where I want to be, right?

The downward spiral begins. :v:

I had to do some FAM time in TMU recently, and it was simultaneously informative (they don't help us out, because they literally aren't watching departure traffic. At all.) and the most boring two hours I think I've ever spent at work.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, we have a CPC transfer in our area... He got certified on all of his D-sides, and stumbled pretty hard on his first two R-sides. He got an extension to the full allotment of training hours for a trainee instead of CPC-IT hours, and then an extra 20% past that. He failed a do-or-die checkride, and was given another one.

On this last do-or-die checkride, towards the end, during a reasonably busy push, he turned to the supervisor and said with all seriousness, "Hey, I go home in ten minutes."

:allears:

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

So, we have a CPC transfer in our area... He got certified on all of his D-sides, and stumbled pretty hard on his first two R-sides. He got an extension to the full allotment of training hours for a trainee instead of CPC-IT hours, and then an extra 20% past that. He failed a do-or-die checkride, and was given another one.

On this last do-or-die checkride, towards the end, during a reasonably busy push, he turned to the supervisor and said with all seriousness, "Hey, I go home in ten minutes."

....this guy from ZJX?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

....this guy from ZJX?

No, although we do have a guy fresh from ZJX, he actually seems decent.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

....this guy from ZJX?

Our guy from ZJX is very special. He finally found someone at Houston to swap with. No more IFR guys in level flight getting randomly terminated around these parts!

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

So when he fails, where do they send him. Is this the Air America "Cargo Plane full of dog poo poo" moment. Or does he go back where he came from?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Used to be they'd give you a list of lower level facilities to pick from.

Thought I heard recently that you'll now/soon be sent back to your previous facility. This would be to prevent folks from going to busier places, intentionally failing, so that they could transfer somewhere else they preferred.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Update: there's going to be a third "do or die" checkride.

The quotation marks are now exclusively to indicate irony.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah I forgot to mention the option that they might just push him through certification for reasons.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Used to be they'd give you a list of lower level facilities to pick from.

Thought I heard recently that you'll now/soon be sent back to your previous facility.

Unless this changed within the last year, this is not correct. We're pretty sure our ZJX guy was intentionally trying to wash out to go back there but they told him in no uncertain terms that he'd go in the NEST or whatever it is and possibly end up somewhere where it gets colder than KC. He sucked slightly less after this and somehow got checked out.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm talking recent as in within a month ago. It was just a rumor though.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My understanding is that you go into NEST but you may be offered a position at your last facility but only if they have an opening.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just had an air carrier report moderate mountain wave turbulence.

Over FLL.

:golfclap:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

I just had an air carrier report moderate mountain wave turbulence.

Over FLL.

:golfclap:

I reported moderate mountain wave over Va Beach yesterday at about 4pm before I caught myself. Serious wave, just associated with the core of the jet stream. Please don't judge me.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

No, although we do have a guy fresh from ZJX, he actually seems decent.

If you can, PM his details. I might know the guy.

fknlo posted:

Our guy from ZJX is very special. He finally found someone at Houston to swap with. No more IFR guys in level flight getting randomly terminated around these parts!

You HAVE to tell me who this is. I can guess one of four areas he was out of.

fknlo posted:

Unless this changed within the last year, this is not correct. We're pretty sure our ZJX guy was intentionally trying to wash out to go back there but they told him in no uncertain terms that he'd go in the NEST or whatever it is and possibly end up somewhere where it gets colder than KC. He sucked slightly less after this and somehow got checked out.

I don't know how it would work for a CPC transfer, but a friend of mine got checked out at ZMA, lost her certs, and was forced to transfer to a up/down a few facilities north of her. The tower has been absolutely kicking her rear end.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 1, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The latest chapter in the ongoing saga of spacing JFK landers on the mid...

Almost all of the ones that come through ZKC end up going over ROD. However, we basically have 3 streams. One over VHP -> ROD, one over some kilo RNAV waypoint -> ROD, and then one more over PXV -> ROD. The ones over VHP and the kilo fix are pretty close and can be blended together fairly easily. The one over PXV exits our airspace somewhere in the neighborhood of 100+ miles to the south of the other ones.

The mid supervisor last night came down at pretty much the beginning of my time to work and told us what had been worked out for last night. Consider the 2 northern streams as one and then pretty much do nothing with the south stream that had considerably less aircraft. Throw some speeds on them, don't stack any of them, don't worry about anything else. I told him that I guaranteed he would get a call from Indy. He told me that wouldn't happen since this is what had been "agreed upon". He comes down when most of them are already out of our airspace and immediately says "Have you ever just wanted to punch someone in the face?" I started laughing because I called it right off the bat. Indy called him and were whining that we weren't somehow considering all 3 streams as one and giving them spacing as such. He tries to tell them that it isn't really feasible for us to do and apparently the guy at Indy started crying about how "them having to do all this excess vectoring wasn't providing a service to the user and that since we're getting something started we should just get them all of the spacing they need."

:fuckoff:

That needs to be way, way bigger. gently caress you Indy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I don't know how it would work for a CPC transfer, but a friend of mine got checked out at ZMA, lost her certs, and was forced to transfer to a up/down a few facilities north of her. The tower has been absolutely kicking her rear end.

I read this awhile ago and didn't really think about it, but reading it again just now, did she go to RSW?

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
NEST just changed. You get sent to BFE wherever they are shortest on staffing. It'll be a lower level facility than the one you sucked at and got washed out of. You will probably not go back to your previous facility.

So when you transfer to Orlando Tracon, and you suck, wash out, you end up at Little Rock tower, because staffing.

America.

Except C90 and N90 because no one would go there. At those facilities you return to your previous facility or get offered BFE towers/approaches.

DU (don't know if same initials) is our new guy from ZJX. Awesome dude.

@Fknlo, meanwhile I give direct JFK for the guys coming up from south America...

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I read this awhile ago and didn't really think about it, but reading it again just now, did she go to RSW?

I can neither confirm nor deny. But I will confirm.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TangoFox posted:

@Fknlo, meanwhile I give direct JFK for the guys coming up from south America...

They actually had to track down who was giving JFK guys direct too far down the line at some point when people at ZKC kept getting yelled at for it but weren't doing it. I think it turned out to be someone in a sector overlying SoCal TRACON that was doing it as soon as they talked to an airplane or something like that.

To be fair to ZID, they aren't the ones requesting the in trail. That's ZOB. They're just being massive bitches about it and trying to make us do all of their work for them. The whole "You guys are starting something, why not just do it all?" is an actual quote.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Hey man vectoring is too close to actually doing work, can you guys just space then out for me so I don't have to do anything?

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

#zdc #ztl #zla

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I fly out of Dallas-love field weekly. Last night my flight did something I'd never noticed, and I'm curious about it.

Heading DAL to AUS, We took off to the north, then west, and then flew over DFW at I guess at least 10000 feet. We then banked to the south on our way to Austin. I have never seen us fly over DFW before. Is that normal and I'm just not noticing? It was weird to see planes landing below me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I fly out of Dallas-love field weekly. Last night my flight did something I'd never noticed, and I'm curious about it.

Heading DAL to AUS, We took off to the north, then west, and then flew over DFW at I guess at least 10000 feet. We then banked to the south on our way to Austin. I have never seen us fly over DFW before. Is that normal and I'm just not noticing? It was weird to see planes landing below me.

It's the RAMBL RNAV departure and its normal on a north flow for DAL jets departing out the south departure gates (there are 4 RNAV departure gates out each of the cardinal directions from the DFW area.) West bound jets off DAL do a similar procedure called the SNSET. It has restrictions to keep you clear of DFW departures and arrivals.

In addition to overflying the DFW airport and the arrivals on final there, when you're southbound you're also between and parallel to the descending arrivals for DFW on the downwind legs. (there's about 4 or 5 miles of lateral separation between you and each downwind stream.)

Before RNAV, the procedure was called the "Spine Road Departure." Spine Road is what we call the imaginary line that runs north to south through the middle of DFW. It's a great place to be, once you're at the right altitudes. Takes a little timing and careful monitoring when you're vectoring a non RNAV aircraft that way. But it's either that or they get stuck under DFW eastbound departures forever.

I very likely worked your flight :)

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 5, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

That's pretty neat. Thank you for the detailed response.

Next time I'm flying out, I'm going to tell my seat mates that the ferret king is controlling our plane.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Should instill confidence, for sure.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Came across this on twitter

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/728342877093412864

Enjoy

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
ATC Memes is a group on Facebook that generates a lot of those.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

ATC Memes is a group on Facebook that generates a lot of those.

They've had a couple of legitimately funny ones but it's mainly just a ton of garbage memes. So basically memes in general.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You know what... I'm sorry, but I'm digging a lot of their material. Their YouTube channel has a bunch of live ATC recordings too and other random poo poo.

I'm kinda digging it.

The Channel

The videos:

Trainees drawing the airspace map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJwYMdBMyDI

The guy that loves airplanes too much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YinlPw1B3o

Not the same channel, but here's a great summary of the Flight Data to Other Controller relationship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8rUXJV7IDE

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Not the same channel, but here's a great summary of the Flight Data to Other Controller relationship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8rUXJV7IDE

Im not a terminal guy, but this legit made me laugh.

(Mostly because the entire flight data position could probably be entirely replaced by giving the other terminal positions an interface that was born in this millennium. :v:)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up in NEST and I've only been at my facility for a couple months, and not because of any lack of effort on my part. Guys in my area keep mentioning the <20% pass rate and with my lack of training I'm getting pretty loving frustrated. I just want to go somewhere where people are heppy and I can certify. What the gently caress

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up in NEST and I've only been at my facility for a couple months, and not because of any lack of effort on my part. Guys in my area keep mentioning the >20% pass rate and with my lack of training I'm getting pretty loving frustrated. I just want to go somewhere where people are heppy and I can certify. What the gently caress

If you get a choice (lol) come to ZMA. We'll get you checked out. Living in the area sucks, but the facility itself is awesome.