Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

An alternate reality where going into The Dark Room is just the Dog Ending from Silent Hill 2 but with a corgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In the alternate universe, Rachel Amber was abducted by aliens, and the Dark Room is Mark Jefferson's world-famous studio for photo prodigies. It's an exclusive, invite-only place so secret its location is kept hidden from everyone, even the other staff at Blackwell.

I'm sort of disappointed that Jefferson being evil was one of the several things I was spoiled on by random people on the internet (not the thing mentioned in 'related videos'). Since the alternate universe showed up I've been sort-of hoping that some of what I read was alternate universe shenanigans (since all I read was 'Jefferson shot Chloe and turns out to be the villain'), but I have a feeling the moon/deer/tornado needs Chloe dead, and we're going to have to be the one to drop the jet engine on her.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 29, 2016

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I will be super pissed if this games ends with yet another killing of the gay character.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

Sunsetaware posted:

She's a better student of Mr. Jefferson's class.
Always take the shot, Max.

which begs the question: would alternate max been another rachel amber or would she have turned into kate marsh?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dingwall posted:

which begs the question: would alternate max been another rachel amber or would she have turned into kate marsh?

Trick Question; Max was alternate timeline Nathan.

It's only after Max is arrested for killing her best friend that Jefferson's conspiracy is unraveled.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kangra posted:

In the alternate universe, Rachel Amber was abducted by aliens, and the Dark Room is Mark Jefferson's world-famous studio for photo prodigies. It's an exclusive, invite-only place so secret its location is kept hidden from everyone, even the other staff at Blackwell.

I'm sort of disappointed that Jefferson being evil was one of the several things I was spoiled on by random people on the internet (not the thing mentioned in 'related videos'). Since the alternate universe showed up I've been sort-of hoping that some of what I read was alternate universe shenanigans (since all I read was 'Jefferson shot Chloe and turns out to be the villain'), but I have a feeling the moon/deer/tornado needs Chloe dead, and we're going to have to be the one to drop the jet engine on her.

Has Max had to save Chloe's life with her time powers every episode so far?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Has Max had to save Chloe's life with her time powers every episode so far?

No, but she had to kill (alt)Chloe in episode 4! or not but hey decisions decisions amirite

And if you run the Frank negotiation with the exact wrong set of conditions (Chloe doesn't have a gun, RV door isn't locked, Frank's pissed), you trigger a fail state and have to rewind, but then since that's a pretty specific series of bad decisions, Chloe's death/mauling by Pompidou is more on your hands than on her recklessness (like it usually is).

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 29, 2016

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Mr. Highway posted:

Why is it an "End of the World Party"? Why isn't it a "We're Better Than You" party? The coincidentally named Vortex Club should throw a coincidentally name End of the World Party for reasons that aren't just coincidence. I feel the story, in the first drafts, may have started out with big plans using the Vortex Club but ended up focusing on something a little smaller, something a little easier to handle. Episode 5 strikes me as Dontnod working hard to get out of the corner in which they wrote themselves.

"The End of the World Party" was a great disappointment for me. The whole game was building to this grand event. A second moon appears in the sky and then... not much happens. Yes, the plot progresses but it's all rather on a mundane level.

I imagined something huge happening. At the very beginning of the game there was a tiny red herring (or maybe just a coincidence) you can see a blackwell class of 1910 banner hanging there. Where I thought this might be going is that the Prescotts and/or Rachel Amber could have a bit of Max's power and regardless be it the prescotts or Rachel Amber appearing something huge was about to happen...

Despite the writing not being perfect at parts I think they did a great job regardless. There was a film that tried to do the same thing back in 2004 Butterfly Effect and it was a terrible movie. Life of is Strange is like I finally got the movie/game I expected to see and wanted to see back then.

Anyway what comes next starts to get more interesting.

Very interesting, I'll point out why when it's time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's magical realism. The main point of magical realist writing is metaphorical and emotional events being externalized as "actual" ones - so you've got Max's foot-dragging and desire to correct her mistakes manifesting as actual time-travel powers, an incoming hurricane paralleled with the more mundane threat of the Vortex Club, and an End of the World party coinciding with an incoming apocalypse.

It's not the most artful example of the genre, sure, but it checks all the right boxes at least.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm a little confused by the pictures at the end. There is the picture of Kate on the roof and it burns out, signifying that event was changed, and then is replaced by a picture of a grave. Is that to say with out Max doing her things Kate ends up dead? But you kind of start to deal with that at the end of the episode by hugging it out. Also the picture looks less like a formal grave site and has three police so.. are they digging Rachel up? I'm a little off on whose grave that's supposed to be, and the juxtaposition of it replacing Kates photo makes it seem like that it'd be hers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

Very interesting, I'll point out why when it's time.
Well, it sounds like alt-universe Max is Jefferson's little psycho sidekick.

Not sure if I mentioned that already but I rather don't like how the apocalypse stuff seems sidelined now - although we've gone back in time so I guess it's back to before it really started manifesting.
I keep thinking that we don't know if Max gained the powers from the dream at the beginning or if the dream was caused by Max somehow gaining the powers. I'm thinking the apocalypse is causality/space-time/time cops/whatever trying to fix Max's timeline fuckery. If I can paraphrase another time travel game, history abhors a paradox.
No idea how the dead whales fit in though.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Jade Star posted:

I'm a little confused by the pictures at the end. There is the picture of Kate on the roof and it burns out, signifying that event was changed, and then is replaced by a picture of a grave. Is that to say with out Max doing her things Kate ends up dead? But you kind of start to deal with that at the end of the episode by hugging it out. Also the picture looks less like a formal grave site and has three police so.. are they digging Rachel up? I'm a little off on whose grave that's supposed to be, and the juxtaposition of it replacing Kates photo makes it seem like that it'd be hers.

They're digging up Rachel. She had been dead before Max did her selfie.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Yeah, something to note is that you were able to examine the missing posters for Rachel in the first episode, before even reuniting with Chloe. She'd been dead for a while, it seems. :(

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Rachel's been dead so long she's actually crystallized in amber. That's the secret time voodoo hoodoo twist.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
i always had a theory that maybe rachel had the power too but was too drugged to change her fate. She was then able to pass it to max [as a butterfly] to help with chloe because maybe rachel knew more than she led on about chloe.

but this is also me grasping at straws.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah i had no doubt that Rachel had been dead a long time. She's been missing for months and was probably dead a day or two after they realized she was missing.
It was just the order of pictures of Kate -> Grave that was tripping me up.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

So I actually just stumbled onto a thing I realized I never showed and completely forgot about?

Way, way back in episode 2, in the first time we go to the junk yard, we can investigate Chloe and Rachel's club house. In one of the corners is this bucket.

There is something in the bucket.

"Now what's up with this weird secret relationship? Sounds like Rachel was confused about it, maybe even ashamed... I wish she named names. I better not show this to Chloe or she will be seriously hurt.

edit for my thoughts on this: Nathan is the one who wanted to gently caress her, but he's definitely a "vortex club snob". Frank we've seen near campus but his relationship with her was hardly a secret to Chloe. That it was sexual was something she was in denial about, but she knew Frank and she knew Rachel hung out with him, and whoever she's talking about in this letter it seems like Chloe doesn't know him. Is this Jefferson???

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 1, 2016

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Yeah i had no doubt that Rachel had been dead a long time. She's been missing for months and was probably dead a day or two after they realized she was missing.
It was just the order of pictures of Kate -> Grave that was tripping me up.

I imagine that in the wake of the scandal that was Mark Jefferson and Nathan Prescott being arrested everyone kind of forgot about Kate's video. Or at least too busy gossiping about that to bother harassing her. I imagine that once her photos were discovered in the dark room she probably had a different sort of stress in her life, but in the wake of something like that even Victoria seems like she would be more willing to back off. Between that and the people who had drugged and violated her being in police custody and facing jail time, Kate might not have gone up to the roof on the first place.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Panzer Skank posted:

edit for my thoughts on this: Nathan is the one who wanted to gently caress her, but he's definitely a "vortex club snob". Frank we've seen near campus but his relationship with her was hardly a secret to Chloe. That it was sexual was something she was in denial about, but she knew Frank and she knew Rachel hung out with him, and whoever she's talking about in this letter it seems like Chloe doesn't know him. Is this Jefferson???

Scary, but not a "bad boy"? It's Warren!

I think you're right, it's probably Jefferson. Was Rachel ever shown to be that much into photography? She might have just hooked up with the psycho without being in his class.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Panzer Skank posted:

Frank we've seen near campus but his relationship with her was hardly a secret to Chloe. That it was sexual was something she was in denial about, but she knew Frank and she knew Rachel hung out with him, and whoever she's talking about in this letter it seems like Chloe doesn't know him. Is this Jefferson???

I think it's Frank she's talking about. I mean, we don't know how far back that letter was written so it could've been before Chloe really knew Frank. Plus the line about "you'll probably think he's gross" doesn't fit with how Chloe was eyeing Jefferson back in episode 4 (or was it 3? I forget) when she made that sweet "hot for teacher" joke.

Also "he's wise and unconventional" is basically code for "this isn't as bad as it seems" and as we've seen throughout the game Jefferson seems like a nice guy at first glance, whereas Frank is the type of guy Rachel would be making up positive attributes for.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I'm 99% sure that's intended to be about Frank. By the law of conservation of art assets it wouldn't make much sense for Rachel to have a second secret relationship that's only hinted at in a single place.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I don't think it's been hinted that Jefferson has ever "experienced some serious poo poo" which probably fits better with Frank (and Nathan, for that matter).

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

theory: rachel had time travel powers and went back in time and met young jefferson who was a real bad boy

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hi good morning! Time for a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Max has... ummm fixed everything? Everything seems great. No problems here!:siren:

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 4, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Dammit Max, no cell phones on the plane!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Just a heads up: Since that site isn't actually a https, Something Awful doesn't display those pictures for me. Is that your personal host?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Air is lava! posted:

Just a heads up: Since that site isn't actually a https, Something Awful doesn't display those pictures for me. Is that your personal host?

oh poo poo, yeah it is. I'm super bad with hosting poo poo, let me see if I can't figure out how to fix it. :( thanks for the heads up

edit: lmao im not gonna pay $16 for an ssl cert on my static image hosting. try loading the thread in spooky non-secure http:// sa for now, I'm going to migrate to my company's amazon cloud hosting in a few days and use the ssl cert we already have on there.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 1, 2016

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
ah the gallery part, where everyone is a hipster and pretentious.

i could only relate to the principal. eating all the food.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm more offended by his blue coat and tan pants.

Come on, man, if you can't have them match exactly, at least do similar shades! Blue pants aren't that hard to find!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm not entirely sure if it's supposed to be him or somebody else, but the guy at the art gallery looks a lot like LiS co-director Michel Koch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

edit: lmao im not gonna pay $16 for an ssl cert on my static image hosting.

Wow that sounds quite expensive. To be honest I don't even actually know the difference between http and https.

On a video related note, I always liked that art guy who talks about the beauty and pureness of a shot while he's starring really intensively on a picture of two women kissing each other.

thorf
Jun 26, 2013
You can get a free SSL cert from LetsEncrypt.

https://letsencrypt.org/getting-started/

PS: What's the connection between Max not entering the contest, and Max ending up in the dark room? Max still texted David about Jefferson, right?

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

thorf posted:

PS: What's the connection between Max not entering the contest, and Max ending up in the dark room? Max still texted David about Jefferson, right?

I'm guessing that Jefferson escaped the police somehow, and since Max is still in town, he was able to kidnap her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By undoing a point earlier than anything else, I guess we undid ourselves previously undoing the past after that point.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's something I'm sure panzer will discuss next video, but max went back in time further than she originally did and she reset that chunk of the timeline as a result. if she wanted to warn david about jefferson again she would have to go back in time again to the classroom section and do that part over as well since warning david is not something max would naturally do as part of that timeline.

when max photo hops, the max she leaves behind has no knowledge of what is happening. as far as she knows she just kind of passed out for a moment and when she came to her photo was destroyed. she doesn't know jefferson is bad or chloe is in danger, this is all stuff she would have to figure out the same way we did from the very first video.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Max is super good at this time travel thing.

hawk16zz
Jan 11, 2012
Why Max still couldn't have stilled ratted him out without entering the contest is beyond my reasoning. But at least we all know that Jefferson played a role in another game...

^^ Not a real edit: ^^ That actually makes sense, drat time travel mechanics!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

thorf posted:

It will probably be covered in the next video. But it can be deduced from the pictures, so it's not really a spoiler. It's one of those weird time travel mockeries which only make sense if you think about them a bit. But once you think about it even harder, it falls apart again.

Remember how Max used her picture in her journal to travel back in time? Well, due to her recent actions, Jefferson was so pissed off that he burned that journal, so she never managed to travel back in the first place. But intuitively he should have never been in that situation in the first place, since it developed from a time line where he would have been imprisoned it's a weird orientation of cause and effect you could only ever find in time travel stories. Just accept it for now.

EDIT: No it actually does make sense. Except for the stuff with Chloes dad, this was the farthest time you ever traveled back and she tore up the picture. From there on it's just straightforward, like in the actual game. But then eventually Jefferson captures her, sees the torn picture and burns the diary, so she never has any chance to travel back to notify David.
It's still kind of a paradox, because she would never have been in a position to tear up this photo in the first place. (She basically traveled back in time to destroy her only time machine.)

Anyway... Just think that we are in the exact same situation as at the start of the episode, except the journal is gone.

VVV I guess that's the gist of it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 1, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Time travel is loving bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

QuoProQuid posted:

Max is super good at this time travel thing.

It's been said before, but LiS, uneven and insufferably precious dialogue notwithstanding, is a much, muchbetter example of the "time traveler tries to fix the present by altering the past, with disastrous results" story than The Butterfly Effect, which suffocated any cool or interesting premise it had on awful dialogue, nonsensical characters, and ridiculous, 2EDGY4U shock value. There was a lot more tension and loss in the latter part of this scene than Ashton Kutcher's dopey face could ever wring from me. And I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop in this scene; everything about the gallery is just so grand and good and self-fellating, I was just going "FALSE ENDING" over and over in my head because god drat it, I was dwindled by Jefferson, but you Frenchies ain't swindling me again, you hear? Not again! :argh: But really, good job, Dontnod, I am invested.

And... it was real brief, but was that a reference to the Ministry of Silly Walks I saw in that there gallery?

• Locked thread