Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, this is exactly right. Either someone is extremely ignorant or outright lying to you at your vendor.

Or, it might be something like "our internal policies mean that when a browser maker deprecates a version of their browser, we flip switches X, Y, and Z and this makes our poo poo product break".

I bet "flip switches..." is just "stop bothering to optimize the output" so IE 9 is just getting the non-broken version and making GBS threads itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A belated thanks to everyone. I ended up having a call with their head of customer support who, unsurprisingly, also gave me the run around and refused to take any sort of responsibility but agreed allow the client to use their new IE 9 compatible version in advance of the official launch. Reading between the lines, it sounds like their devs wanted to make some changes that weren't going to work in LT IE 9 and Microsoft deprecating support came at a very opportune time. Instead of holding off on their changes until they could release their new version, they just broke it and hoped no one would see.

ANYHOW, that's all sorted. I appreciate all of your responses, you totally saved my sanity.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I'm creating my end of the semester project which is going to be a launchpad sequencer, so i can create melodies/beats and loop them. I also want a visual effect to happen with each button press.

I just wanted some beginning advice. Do you guys think this would be simple with html and css or would javascript make my life a lot easier?

Please hit me with some cool links if you guys are into electronic music bc right now I'm looking up how exactly Launchpads work

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm trying to start a (hobby) project, a website for short music reviews. My initial thought was Django, but I've not messed with Django in a while and I don't know what the cutting edge for that kind of larger framework is. Since it's a hobby project I can afford to mess around with technologies that I'm not super familiar with, so I'm curious what some other contemporary options along the lines of Django are. ASP.NET?

I'd ordinarily just use Flask or Express but I'd rather spend my time making it look good and run well, so I'm thinking I want something that'll do most of the backend management for me--something opinionated.

E: I'd rather not use Wordpress since I don't know PHP and it seems like it's a big bother compared to a smaller, more specialized setup, and since I have those skills I just don't see the point of a heavy Wordpress install.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 27, 2016

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Grump posted:

I'm creating my end of the semester project which is going to be a launchpad sequencer, so i can create melodies/beats and loop them. I also want a visual effect to happen with each button press.

I just wanted some beginning advice. Do you guys think this would be simple with html and css or would javascript make my life a lot easier?

Please hit me with some cool links if you guys are into electronic music bc right now I'm looking up how exactly Launchpads work

Something like this?

http://sampulator.com

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Grump posted:

This might also be interesting to you http://www.fradkin.com/snap-music.html

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm trying to start a (hobby) project, a website for short music reviews. My initial thought was Django, but I've not messed with Django in a while and I don't know what the cutting edge for that kind of larger framework is. Since it's a hobby project I can afford to mess around with technologies that I'm not super familiar with, so I'm curious what some other contemporary options along the lines of Django are. ASP.NET?

I'd ordinarily just use Flask or Express but I'd rather spend my time making it look good and run well, so I'm thinking I want something that'll do most of the backend management for me--something opinionated.

E: I'd rather not use Wordpress since I don't know PHP and it seems like it's a big bother compared to a smaller, more specialized setup, and since I have those skills I just don't see the point of a heavy Wordpress install.

The .Net Django equivalent is probably Orchard http://www.orchardproject.net/ It's extremely opinionated in my experience.

For Python, you might also want to consider a static site generator https://wiki.python.org/moin/StaticSiteGenerator I haven't used one but I would over Wordpress in a heartbeat.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

kloa posted:

Something like this?

http://sampulator.com

Yeah pretty much exactly like this. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to approach it. I'm probably not going to have any saving feature, so I'm not gonna need a database. Seems like Javascript is necessary.

Munkeymon posted:

This is more advanced than what I'm thinking but I'll check out that code.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Munkeymon posted:

The .Net Django equivalent is probably Orchard http://www.orchardproject.net/ It's extremely opinionated in my experience.

For Python, you might also want to consider a static site generator https://wiki.python.org/moin/StaticSiteGenerator I haven't used one but I would over Wordpress in a heartbeat.
A static site sadly won't work for what I have in mind (the reason I'm leaning towards Django is because of the admin interface), but Orchard looks neat.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got two portfolios, engineering and photography, that I'd like to keep separate from each other. Currently they're hosted as Wordpress installations on huhu.com/engineering and huhu.com/photography. huhu.com is a splash page. This setup is messing up with SEO. I'm curious if you guys have suggestions of what I should do with the site so that huhu.com actually shows up in search results while also keeping both portfolios separate.

Edit: I'd like to keep the two websites separate and on the same domain name but the splash page is making it so that huhu.com won't show up on Google.

huhu fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 27, 2016

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Grump posted:

You're gonna need JavaScript to make it work. Good luck!

Have you checked out the Game of Life LaunchPad demo here: http://webaudiodemos.appspot.com/ ?

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

huhu posted:

I've got two portfolios, engineering and photography, that I'd like to keep separate from each other. Currently they're hosted as Wordpress installations on huhu.com/engineering and huhu.com/photography. huhu.com is a splash page. This setup is messing up with SEO. I'm curious if you guys have suggestions of what I should do with the site so that huhu.com actually shows up in search results while also keeping both portfolios separate.

Edit: I'd like to keep the two websites separate and on the same domain name but the splash page is making it so that huhu.com won't show up on Google.

That's because splash pages are an anti-pattern and are a hindrance to users rather than a benefit. The only person a splash page helps is the person who runs the site, and nobody cares about what the person who runs the site wants.

Google isn't ranking it because the splash page serves no content anyone wants to see. Google goes to specific pages and articles, not place-holders, which is what splash pages basically are. To make matters worse, it's probably down-ranked by google because it offers no information, useful links, and doesn't appear to be part of any of the sites it links to (the layout is all different, shares no similarities, different titles, metadata, etc etc)

So let's review the problem:
- You have two separate sites who's content and design you want to be separate.
- You want both those sites to be sub-domains of a parent domain.
- You don't actually want to put a site at the parent domain.
- You want Google (et al) to find your parent domain.

From the SEO perspective, you have to ask; "what might my users be searching for, in order to find me". Lots of companies scream poo poo like "I want to be ranked top for `converyors`!" but nobody ever just googled for "conveyors". They look for "warehouse automation" or "goods to person cost reduction". What's your site for? How do you want to be found? Right now I don't know what you'd even expect someone to Google for in order to discover huhu.com.

If you want people to find you by your actual name, your place of work, something about you (considering it's a portfolio, right?) then put at the root of huhu.com a little something about you which Google can index. Link/feed your twitter, instagram, etc. You can then provide prominent links to your sub-sites from that splash page. That gives Google something to index on that page, and when I subsequently Google for "<insert name here>", I will find your domain first.

Alternatively if you choose not to plaster your name on the homepage, you can use the root domain to aggregate BOTH of your sites into a single blog-roll on the root domain, but the link would go through to the individual sites.
All three sites can/should share a header bar which provides some layout conformity, and lets you hop between the engineering and photography sites. That improves my browsing experience if I'm looking at things about you rather than something specific to do with photography.

v1nce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 28, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

huhu posted:

engineering.huhu.com and photography.huhu.com

Make them distinct sites. Put a picture of a butt on https://www.huhu.com or whatever.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Acquia does something clever: they put alleged 'recent searches' in their footer. Sneaky, but one way to get your keywords in.

https://www.acquia.com (scroll to bottom)

[edit]Yes, I have to work with loving drupal now and I loathe it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

v1nce posted:

That's because splash pages are an anti-pattern and are a hindrance to users rather than a benefit. The only person a splash page helps is the person who runs the site, and nobody cares about what the person who runs the site wants.

Google isn't ranking it because the splash page serves no content anyone wants to see. Google goes to specific pages and articles, not place-holders, which is what splash pages basically are. To make matters worse, it's probably down-ranked by google because it offers no information, useful links, and doesn't appear to be part of any of the sites it links to (the layout is all different, shares no similarities, different titles, metadata, etc etc)

So let's review the problem:
- You have two separate sites who's content and design you want to be separate.
- You want both those sites to be sub-domains of a parent domain.
- You don't actually want to put a site at the parent domain.
- You want Google (et al) to find your parent domain.

From the SEO perspective, you have to ask; "what might my users be searching for, in order to find me". Lots of companies scream poo poo like "I want to be ranked top for `converyors`!" but nobody ever just googled for "conveyors". They look for "warehouse automation" or "goods to person cost reduction". What's your site for? How do you want to be found? Right now I don't know what you'd even expect someone to Google for in order to discover huhu.com.

If you want people to find you by your actual name, your place of work, something about you (considering it's a portfolio, right?) then put at the root of huhu.com a little something about you which Google can index. Link/feed your twitter, instagram, etc. You can then provide prominent links to your sub-sites from that splash page. That gives Google something to index on that page, and when I subsequently Google for "<insert name here>", I will find your domain first.

Alternatively if you choose not to plaster your name on the homepage, you can use the root domain to aggregate BOTH of your sites into a single blog-roll on the root domain, but the link would go through to the individual sites.
All three sites can/should share a header bar which provides some layout conformity, and lets you hop between the engineering and photography sites. That improves my browsing experience if I'm looking at things about you rather than something specific to do with photography.

I get what you're saying and I agree with everything you've said as it applies to splash pages, but I feel like huhu has misused the term "splash page". It sounds like what he's describing is a portal page that leads to two entirely separate sites; something that is not such an anti-pattern in my opinion.

Lumpy posted:

engineering.huhu.com and photography.huhu.com

Make them distinct sites. Put a picture of a butt on https://www.huhu.com or whatever.

This is the right way to do it. Being different sites, you're better off having them on different domains.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Google doesn't distinguish between a 'splash' page and a 'portal' page because they are both the same thing - a no-content page. The only difference is a 'portal' page has an additional "click here to continue" link on it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Ghostlight posted:

Google doesn't distinguish between a 'splash' page and a 'portal' page because they are both the same thing - a no-content page. The only difference is a 'portal' page has an additional "click here to continue" link on it.

Yeah but I assume he doesn't care about the portal page itself, he cares about the SEO for the two separate sites it links to. But maybe I'm wrong.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

The Wizard of Poz posted:

Yeah but I assume he doesn't care about the portal page itself, he cares about the SEO for the two separate sites it links to. But maybe I'm wrong.

Unfortunately that's not what he said.

huhu posted:

This setup is messing up with SEO. I'm curious if you guys have suggestions of what I should do with the site so that huhu.com actually shows up in search results while also keeping both portfolios separate.

Look, just load up the page, close your eyes and clear your mind, and then open them again and pretend you're Joe User Target Audience.

Look at the page you're on and ask yourself "why am I, the user, here?".
If you can't point to some content on the page and say "this is exactly what I wanted" then the page is an utter waste of bandwidth, and Google sure as poo poo isn't going to show it to anyone.

Splash (and most portal) pages answer that particular question with "Because the author doesn't know what they want to show people", and that answer is retarded.
Give pages a purpose or don't have them at all; simple as that.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

v1nce posted:

Unfortunately that's not what he said.

Right, sorry - I missed that bit. My bad.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Would this be the appropriate place to ask for some feedback on UI / design I'm working on? Or do we have a better thread for that kinda stuff?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Would this be the appropriate place to ask for some feedback on UI / design I'm working on? Or do we have a better thread for that kinda stuff?
There is a design critique megathread, but if it's web-related it's probably fine to post it here too.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I applied to this local web design firm, sent them links to my Github and Codepen accounts as a portfolio, and this is the response I got. I was genuinely taken back by both how a CEO could be so loving unprofessional and that he seemed like he genuinely didn't know what Github was

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Grump posted:

I applied to this local web design firm, sent them links to my Github and Codepen accounts as a portfolio, and this is the response I got. I was genuinely taken back by both how a CEO could be so loving unprofessional and that he seemed like he genuinely didn't know what Github was

Sounds like you dodged a bullet then, you should be grateful that the CEO is so transparently and rear end in a top hat.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Skandranon posted:

Sounds like you dodged a bullet then, you should be grateful that the CEO is so transparently and rear end in a top hat.

This was my response

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Anony Mouse posted:

There is a design critique megathread, but if it's web-related it's probably fine to post it here too.

Other than the first rule in the OP saying "don't post web stuff"...

What happened to the design thread we had here?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Other than the first rule in the OP saying "don't post web stuff"...

What happened to the design thread we had here?

I'd be interested in a web-focused design thread too.

What makes sense to me may not to a non-savvy computer user, so it's hard for me to put myself in their shoes when designing UI/UX stuff.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

kloa posted:

I'd be interested in a web-focused design thread too.

What makes sense to me may not to a non-savvy computer user, so it's hard for me to put myself in their shoes when designing UI/UX stuff.

"Will the user figure this out?"

"No they're too dumb."

This is the world of UX.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Grump posted:

This was my response

Tbh if you're applying for a job at a design firm and don't have a portfolio you're kinda missing the point. I was in charge of hiring people at a design firm for several years and if someone just linked me to their github and codepen accounts I would put them in the "no" pile and wouldn't even reply.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

kedo posted:

Tbh if you're applying for a job at a design firm and don't have a portfolio you're kinda missing the point. I was in charge of hiring people at a design firm for several years and if someone just linked me to their github and codepen accounts I would put them in the "no" pile and wouldn't even reply.

Yeah, the thing about showing a body of work is being able to say what it demonstrates. No one has 100% gold to their name, so in a lot of ways the work itself is less valuable than how it's presented, ie: you can say what the work demonstrates, say why it's good/bad, and also give the work context.

Evaluating work without context is hard. The same piece of work can be looked at differently if it took 20 hrs or 80 hrs. If it matched a brief or it didn't.

GitHub demonstrates that you can create code, but rarely provides the context required to understand your abilities and how they'll apply to a genuine project.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, the thing about showing a body of work is being able to say what it demonstrates. No one has 100% gold to their name, so in a lot of ways the work itself is less valuable than how it's presented, ie: you can say what the work demonstrates, say why it's good/bad, and also give the work context.

Evaluating work without context is hard. The same piece of work can be looked at differently if it took 20 hrs or 80 hrs. If it matched a brief or it didn't.

GitHub demonstrates that you can create code, but rarely provides the context required to understand your abilities and how they'll apply to a genuine project.

Absolutely.

I realized a few minutes after posting my reply that it probably wasn't very helpful, so here's some context as to what's going through someone's mind at a design firm when they're trying to hire someone.

I'm trying to hire someone. The most important things I care about are:

1) Is the person able to write a coherent email.
2) Can the person deliver real world projects that look good and function well.
3) Is the person someone my team can work with.

These three items determine whether or not I'm going to take the time to follow up with you or throw your application out right off the bat. Let's assume you nailed #1 by writing a great email. Great. But then, some code on Github and Codepen tell me absolutely nothing about #2 or #3. Was the code you presented ever used in a real project, or was it just some proof of concept or some fun CSS animations you worked up while you were bored one evening? I have no way of knowing. What's more, you're assuming the people reading your application can read code which, spoiler, is something most folks aren't capable of doing – even the folks reading your application. To them you may as well have said, "here's a picture of me coding things, see how good I look coding things?" and that's absolutely worthless.

Remember that the firms you're emailing are probably comparing you to a hundred other people who have actually provided a portfolio. If I have 99 other portfolios I can look through and one dude who said, "lawl, I can't be bothered to follow the instructions in a job posting, here's some of my code you idiots," I have to do a lot more work to figure out if you're any good or not. Why would I do that? I have 99 other portfolios I can look at. Don't make the people hiring you do more work, make it easy for them to consume your body of work. Make it painfully obvious that you're perfect for the job.

Also remember design firms sell design, not code. Sure code makes designs work, but that's not what clients care about and clients pay the bills. If you can't show how you're able to successfully execute designs I can sell, you're useless to me.

These may be painful truths, but them's the breaks.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

kedo posted:

I don't think Grump is upset because "omg they didn't like me" but at the extremely unprofessional behavior of the CEO no less. No matter what design faux pas someone makes when applying, you don't reply back with "github lol u suk, git gud skrub".

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

Is Backbone still cool or what's the latest hipster js library to poo poo out a CRUD app and make me look cool to my bosses? Tia

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Julie And Candy posted:

Is Backbone still cool or what's the latest hipster js library to poo poo out a CRUD app and make me look cool to my bosses? Tia

I see a lot of AngularJS or React + Redux.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Julie And Candy posted:

Angular if you just need it to work and you want to follow a full framework's conventions, React + Redux if you're opinionated, need lots of custom UI, or you want more control over the code structure of the app.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

That's what I thought, thanks!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Julie And Candy posted:

AngularJS has a lot to offer if you are doing simple CRUD forms type apps.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

kedo posted:

Absolutely.

I realized a few minutes after posting my reply that it probably wasn't very helpful, so here's some context as to what's going through someone's mind at a design firm when they're trying to hire someone.

I'm trying to hire someone. The most important things I care about are:

1) Is the person able to write a coherent email.
2) Can the person deliver real world projects that look good and function well.
3) Is the person someone my team can work with.

These three items determine whether or not I'm going to take the time to follow up with you or throw your application out right off the bat. Let's assume you nailed #1 by writing a great email. Great. But then, some code on Github and Codepen tell me absolutely nothing about #2 or #3. Was the code you presented ever used in a real project, or was it just some proof of concept or some fun CSS animations you worked up while you were bored one evening? I have no way of knowing. What's more, you're assuming the people reading your application can read code which, spoiler, is something most folks aren't capable of doing – even the folks reading your application. To them you may as well have said, "here's a picture of me coding things, see how good I look coding things?" and that's absolutely worthless.

Remember that the firms you're emailing are probably comparing you to a hundred other people who have actually provided a portfolio. If I have 99 other portfolios I can look through and one dude who said, "lawl, I can't be bothered to follow the instructions in a job posting, here's some of my code you idiots," I have to do a lot more work to figure out if you're any good or not. Why would I do that? I have 99 other portfolios I can look at. Don't make the people hiring you do more work, make it easy for them to consume your body of work. Make it painfully obvious that you're perfect for the job.

Also remember design firms sell design, not code. Sure code makes designs work, but that's not what clients care about and clients pay the bills. If you can't show how you're able to successfully execute designs I can sell, you're useless to me.

This is helpful thanks! I'm about to be fresh out of college and didn't really know what employers want and what constitutes a portfolio.

How do you make a portfolio when none of your stuff is only hosted locally?

Thing is, if the guy explained what they were looking for and didn't have so much sass in his email, i would've said he was making a valid point

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Julie And Candy posted:

React+Redux is a bit ahead in the hipster race. It's also what I like to make my JS apps with for technical reasons so it's a win win synergy bomb.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
So I sat down a week ago and decided to teach myself Javascript stuff. Done and done. Now I'm trying to figure out how to practice using the frameworks that I see mentioned in every other job advertisement: Node, React, Angular, and Bootstrap.

Found a good website that teaches all of them: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/web_development_tutorials.htm

Now I'm trying to figure out how I can practice them.

For C++ I can make bullshit up and run it in Visual Studio. For Python I can make poo poo up and run it in Emacs.

But I don't understand how to practice this Javascript stuff apart from making a folder on my hard drive with .html, .css, and .js files in it. I apparently have either missed or never been told how to do this stuff more conveniently.

I found that Heroku thing, but it only lets me do stuff with Node. So here's my question for you guys (edit-- which wasn't in the FAQ of the OP): How can I conveniently bullshit around with the other Javascript frameworks?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 1, 2016

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

So I sat down a week ago and decided to teach myself Javascript stuff. Done and done. Now I'm trying to figure out how to practice using the frameworks that I see mentioned in every other job advertisement: Node, React, Angular, and Bootstrap.

Found a good website that teaches all of them: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/web_development_tutorials.htm

For C++ I can make bullshit up and run it in Visual Studio. For Python I can make poo poo up and run it in Emacs.

But I don't understand how to practice this Javascript stuff apart from making a folder on my hard drive with .html, .css, and .js files in it. I apparently have either missed or never been told how to do this stuff more conveniently.

I found that Heroku thing, but it only lets me do stuff with Node. So here's my question for you guys (edit-- which wasn't in the FAQ of the OP): How can I conveniently bullshit around with the other Javascript frameworks?

I want to teach myself the exact same thing, but I really don't know where to start. I keep flip flopping between front/back end + other stuff, and then just giving up miserably because the framework (looking at you Angular) confuses the gently caress out of me.

One of these days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Love Stole the Day posted:

There are many answers to this, thanks in part to the clusterfuck that is JS tooling and partly because you can use frameworks in different ways.

For React, you can just mess around with nothing more than this starter JSFiddle: https://jsfiddle.net/reactjs/69z2wepo/

The next step up would be using their CDN links to the framework and the runtime transpiler, and running pythons SimpleHTTPServer and including all your JS files in script tags. Starter index.html file with all that stuff on FBs site: http://facebook.github.io/react/docs/tutorial.html

After that, the next step (and really final step) would be installing Node / npm locally then using webpack and webpack dev server along with Babel to transpile and serve your code which gets you hot reloading and ES6 fancy JS and all that. I'd probably just start here if you were a fairly competent human, which you seem to be based on what you said. Here's the first googl result for a tutorial: https://www.codementor.io/reactjs/tutorial/beginner-guide-setup-reactjs-environment-npm-babel-6-webpack

Similar stuff probably exists for Angular, but I don't use it (not a big fan, but that my personal preference) any more so I can't link you to that stuff.