Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Rejigged my list.

Roughly:

Cassian dracos

2x tac squads in rhinos with artificer sergeants who have meltabombs and power weapons

Grav fist contemptor

Mortis kheres with havoc launcher

2x box dreads with flamestorm cannons and DCCW with heavy flamers

Deredeo with aiolos and autocannons

Leviathan and grav and claw in a drop pod.

2000 pts, 7 dreads, don't lose a VP when a lose a dread. Drop leviathan in as a distraction, run everyone else up while the ranged two dreads annihilate threats.

IMO I'd change the grav Contemptor to a Cortus Contemptor, and dump one boxnaught for a second grav Cortus.

But that's a pretty fun list, would love to play against it. There's a very clear weakness, but a lot of threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I completely forgot about the cortus class as an option. Definitely will try those out.

If I run into a typhon in 2000 I'll laugh. I drop the leviathan on it, sit in my pod and shoot, and then next turn jump out and rip it to pieces.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that sounds like a hilarious way for your leviathan to die

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Is it? Am I misreading the typhon? It has one shot - which I get at worst a 4+ invuln from. I drop down in a pod which has shrouded, I don't disembark. Pod might get smashed, who gives a poo poo - I then get out of it and he's blown his load.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Is it? Am I misreading the typhon? It has one shot - which I get at worst a 4+ invuln from. I drop down in a pod which has shrouded, I don't disembark. Pod might get smashed, who gives a poo poo - I then get out of it and he's blown his load.

You may want to look into the melta lance option.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Friend and I are finally getting around to building and painting our 30K stuff. He's Blood Angels and I'm running Sons of Horus. I originally bought in like, 2 years ago(?) and so have the Legion Astartes army lists and SOH rules. Is there any way short of :filez: to get the new Rite of War and Justaerin rules? I have a really hard time justifying buying another red book.

If there are other Mid-Atlantic goons looking for opponents, we are two cool guys looking for other cool guys to drink beer and play games with in our party mansion (non-sexual). I'm in Baltimore, he's in Alexandria, usually play at his house or Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie.

mister_ed
Feb 24, 2016
I'm new to this ham stuff, although I've been spying on this thread since before Christmas.

I got given the Calth box and immediately descended into fits of indecision about which legion to be. I finally decided that I hate money and wanted to go Scars because Loyalist but skeptical, plus I like motorbikes.

I then basically decided that all my affordable dudes from Calth aren't fluffy and that I need to buy hundreds more models. I seem to be most interested in modelling, and fluff rather than winning (although I've so far played a total of 1 rushed game with a borrowed army, so I wouldn't know).

Anyway, I like the idea of an army of Hit & Run dudes with Glaives and melta bombs, with the Chogorian RoW. Thoughts on this list for 1000pts (still a while before I even have this much built and painted)?

I know it's a bit deathstarry - is it OK because jetbikes/command squad? Does it look fun to play? Could it stand any chance of competing against any army at all?

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (995pts) ++

+ HQ (500pts) +

Legion Praetor (500pts) [Artificer Armour, Cyber-hawk (10pts), Digital Lasers (15pts), Iron Halo (25pts), Legion Scimitar Jetbike with Heavy Bolter (45pts), Power Glaive (15pts), Volkite Charger (10pts)]
····Legion Command Squad (280pts) [Legion Scimitar Jetbikes with Heavy Bolters (105pts), 2x Legion Space Marine Chosen (40pts), Melta Bombs (25pts), 2x Power Glaive (30pts), 2x Volkite Charger (20pts)]
····Master of the Legion [Chogorian Brotherhood]

+ Troops (370pts) +

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (190pts) [Melta Bombs (15pts), 3x Space Marine Sky Hunters (105pts), Volkite Culverin (10pts)]
····Sky Hunter Sergeant (30pts) [Power Glaive (15pts)]

Legion Outrider Squad (180pts) [3x Legion Space Marine Outrider (90pts), Melta Bombs (15pts), Twin-linked Flamer (45pts)]
····Outrider Sergeant (30pts) [Power Glaive (15pts)]

+ Fast Attack (125pts) +

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery (125pts) [Forward Deployment (15pts), 3x Tarantula Sentry Gun (90pts), 2x Twin-linked Lascannon (20pts)]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Loyalist, V: White Scars]

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
play whatever list you'll have fun modeling and playing, the only people who pretend this game is competitive already play a pretend made up version of the rules

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Friend and I are finally getting around to building and painting our 30K stuff. He's Blood Angels and I'm running Sons of Horus. I originally bought in like, 2 years ago(?) and so have the Legion Astartes army lists and SOH rules. Is there any way short of :filez: to get the new Rite of War and Justaerin rules? I have a really hard time justifying buying another red book.

Just google them, they're available with a simple search. The rules for the Long March RoW are in a link in the OP. Get your red pen out and change Justaerin from 205 to 255, starting squad size of 5, and a Wounds value of 2. Sons of Horus also gained a new rule called Death Dealers that gives them +1 BS when shooting within 12".

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Shameless goon plug for any NYC/Brooklyn 30k Goons: the store I play at is going to be running a 30k Escalation League this summer - lots of newbies so it'll be perfect for starting out and it should be a good time full of chill people at a solid venue.

Some details:

• Starting June 1st - running until August 31st, with campaign "turns" of two weeks each.

• Painting not required but incentives for doing so!

• Escalation Format starting at 1000 points, escalating to 1500 and 2000 every 4 weeks.

• Loyalists vs Traitors, with a few narrative twists in store to keep things interesting.

• Open format - play as many or as few games as you like and still contribute!

If anyone's interested feel free to PM me or email me at imminent(dot)starvation(at)gmail(dot)com for details/etc.
It's gonna rule. I promise.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Lord Twisted posted:

If it were me I would ram the pod. The alternative is to drive our of hug range. If neither works that was an expensive VP I just gave up.

krursk fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 29, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a typhon is probably less points than a leviathan + drop pod

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Podded Hugs Leviathan is 15 points less if both choices have armoured ceramite.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Solar-Auxilia-Surgeon-Primus-Aevos-Jovan-Medicae-Orderlies

cool model, and pretty decent rules. gives a 4+ fnp that you can auto-pass once a turn, or restore a wound to a model that's missing one (not super useful in solar auxilia). dude himself is pretty eh, only getting up to WS3 after close formation fighting bonuses.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
that's a baby landraider

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you pair that dude with an Eternal Warrior artificer armor commander and have him take shots to the face for the rest of the unit while giving absolutely zero fucks?

I absolutely love just how badass you can make a Solar Auxilia commander. It's dumb, but it's just so cool.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Said commander is still only T3... so....

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
No FNP when hit be S6 weapons.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
s6 isn't particularly common, the bigger issue is s7 but that's still a pretty narrow band of shooting

jetbikes or regular bikes for a ravenwing rite?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

jetbikes or regular bikes for a ravenwing rite?

Both. I've been putting together lists that focus on a big unit of acid heavy bolter jetbikes with characters and a smaller unit of either plasma or melta bikers to force opponents to split focus. The plasma especially seems nice for hunting terminators/artificer armor so you don't have to get lucky with the acid, while jetbikes are better at dissolving large blobs of 3+ armor.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Solar-Auxilia-Surgeon-Primus-Aevos-Jovan-Medicae-Orderlies

cool model, and pretty decent rules. gives a 4+ fnp that you can auto-pass once a turn, or restore a wound to a model that's missing one (not super useful in solar auxilia). dude himself is pretty eh, only getting up to WS3 after close formation fighting bonuses.

Need this for my fat goon in space conversion

His hand is already reaching for the cheetos puffs

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
why did the crazy surgeon man amputate the leg? It looks perfectly fine.

I mean like i know the far future is hosed up but like the leg looks okay to me.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Is there anyone going to warhammer fest? I want to try getting that praetor as a prize for my league.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
So apart from using my collection of dreads as a 30k I am intending to start a cult militia horde. I have just finished the first ten. I have had a look at the list and I could probably do with another 150... I am painting them deliberately normal so that with a pile of daemons and mutants they are a cult list, and with artillery and no daemons can be a militia.

They are really fun and characterful but I am definitely spending too much time on models which are only a few points each. My favourite at the moment is the guy at the front with the knuckleduster. "Off to fight space marines... Got my brass knuckles. Got my spanner in my back pocket in case they get a bit out of order" I may make him the leader of the whole army.

It's really nice to be able to buy whatever sci-if post apocalyptic models I find and incorporate them in. I have seen some nice alien miniatures and they can go in too. And all sorts of alternate daemons.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I found an awesome converted daemon Fulgrim someone made:

http://wilhelminiatures.blogspot.com/

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hello there, Rubio. Looking kind of, huh...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's not offensive, but if that's character series holy crap that's the worst one by a country mile.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know who that guy is beyond being the kind of crummy librarian dude in Book VI. Is he in the audio dramas or some poo poo?

I hope the Nemean Reaver eventually gets a cool model, that's one of the few special characters I'd actually want to use. He's tough as gently caress and can be a Knight Errant which is how I'd be running him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mango Polo posted:

Hello there, Rubio. Looking kind of, huh...

That is the most :effort: sculpted base, jfc

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

I don't know who that guy is beyond being the kind of crummy librarian dude in Book VI. Is he in the audio dramas or some poo poo?

I hope the Nemean Reaver eventually gets a cool model, that's one of the few special characters I'd actually want to use. He's tough as gently caress and can be a Knight Errant which is how I'd be running him.

i'm pretty sure he's a tertiary character in the calth books. i know there's a librarian in them, at least, so i assume it's him.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm pretty sure he's a tertiary character in the calth books. i know there's a librarian in them, at least, so i assume it's him.

He's barely even a tertiary character in the first one. He's clearly only in the book to satisfy some sort of editorial checklist.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that timeline doesn't make much sense though, know no fear was released like 5 years ago.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That is the most :effort: sculpted base, jfc

I didn't even notice that there's a Gal Vorbak like infused in the rock. Looks like a teleport accident.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Soon!

(it's probably not the one you think it is though)

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Can anyone recommend any good third party jetbike models? I really don't like the Forge World dickbikes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Soon!

What is this then?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

What is this then?

Solar Auxilia, Knights, Milita. Everyone's salivating for the marine version though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Soon!

:shepspends:

Mango Polo posted:

Solar Auxilia, Knights, Milita. Everyone's salivating for the marine version though.
:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'll buy it if it has the dumb new knight that's shaped like an Urban in it