Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It wants in. I think you know better than to let it in.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dear Santa,

Thanks!

~ Seat Safety Switch, age 9 3/4

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Allow me to serenade you with the song of my peo*BWOOOOO*

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It wants in. I think you better let it in.

it clearly isn't house trained

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Rally wiring station:

:stare:

I have a massive garage but the couch is closer so I'll wire outside the back door. Next time slide the couch over to the door so you can wire in comfort.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

is that a TiaL valve? I really like that sound

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

ROFLburger posted:

is that a TiaL valve? I really like that sound

It has no blow-off valve, it has an expanding pipe plug instead. that sound is compressor surge :v:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Hope you weathered the storm alright, it schwacked us in Bluefield pretty good during GoT.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Didn't even feel it!

Drove the Gorester to work today. That's one great way to enjoy a commute...

It definitely needs working fans on the intercooler and the radiator. The heat soak gets pretty bad after a bit and you can feel it way down on power.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Automotive wiring? Soldering iron? I'm confused.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lightbulb Out posted:

THE BURAN WAS BETTER

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's the best way to join wires in a car :can:

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 2, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Gorester needs a proper hood scoop for the TMIC *nods*

And a flapper on the hater pipe.

Geirskogul posted:

THE BURAN WAS BETTER

lol :golfclap:

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

literally a fish posted:

It has no blow-off valve, it has an expanding pipe plug instead. that sound is compressor surge :v:

That's what that sound is caused by? I've always wondered because you always hear turbo'd rally cars make that sound but my only turbo experience is diesel pickups.

Or am I being whooshed?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

GopherFlats posted:

That's what that sound is caused by? I've always wondered because you always hear turbo'd rally cars make that sound but my only turbo experience is diesel pickups.

Or am I being whooshed?

Yeah, that's what the choochoo/"dose" sound is caused by. If you get a single PSHHHHT that's a blowoff valve, but when you get the flutter, that's either no blowoff valve or one that is set to stay closed at too high of a pressure.

When you come off-throttle, the turbo is still spinning, but the throttle is closed, so the compressed air in the intake manifold has nowhere to go. Normally, blowoff opens and releases pressure. With no blowoff valve, the compressor keeps pumping air into the manifold, the compressor stalls, and some air sneaks back out. GFB explain it better here. It's bad for the bearings in the turbo, but it's relatively hard to crash a journal bearing turbo like the one in the Gorester, so ain't care.

Racecars/rallycars will often run without a BOV as they have wide, sudden changes in throttle and running no BOV keeps pressure up during shifts or brief moments off-throttle at the expense of turbo life. In a racecar you don't really care about turbo life as long as it's longer than a race, so.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Lo, there do I see my father;

Lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers;

Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.

Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

GopherFlats posted:

Or am I being whooshed?

You wont really hear it on the Turbodiesels either, as they pretty much run wide open air all the time (hence why they idle at 100+:1 AFR's) and vary fueling to vary output, so even when you lift off your throttle you just pump heaps of air through the engine with little fuel.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just had a coworker I've never met before follow me to my office to tell me he loved my "no fucks forester".

This is a super professional office and the fact that some random dude said "no fucks forester" in his first sentence to me kind of makes everything wonderful.

Edit: ahaha my boss just asked if I'd seen "that rat rod Subaru in the parking lot". There's like 5,000 employees in this office.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 3, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The machine has presence. It instills fear in those around it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
To be feared is all there is

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

SCA Enthusiast posted:

The machine has presence. It instills fear in those around it.

Or maniacal laughing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or a deep, primal longing, one which the viewer never quite realized he had within him. A sense that there is another way to live, a jungle way, a way of fire and blood and dust and raw passion and uninhibited desires. This car says to an ancient part of the human soul that it doesn't have to be this way, this grand edifice of normal life, this beige, comfortable, pedestrian existence.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Or a deep, primal longing, one which the viewer never quite realized he had within him. A sense that there is another way to live, a jungle way, a way of fire and blood and dust and raw passion and uninhibited desires. This car says to an ancient part of the human soul that it doesn't have to be this way, this grand edifice of normal life, this beige, comfortable, pedestrian existence.

HIC SVNT DRACONES

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

Edit: ahaha my boss just asked if I'd seen "that rat rod Subaru in the parking lot". There's like 5,000 employees in this office.

Did you tell your boss "thanks man, lemme know if you want to drive it"? :v:

Dr. Fozzenstein
Apr 8, 2016
I'm a cookin'-a somthin' uuup!
The engine design is still being worked out as there are flaws. I have another prototype as well for that. At any rate, stickers are iminent.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was kinda thinking it would be like a top down view of the crank and the four pistons.

Sorta like this but more sexual and also with the rods on the correct sides.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 6, 2016

Dr. Fozzenstein
Apr 8, 2016

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was kinda thinking it would be like a top down view of the crank and the four pistons.

Sorta like this but more sexual and also with the rods on the correct sides.

Noted sir, thanks for the idea. I'll draw one of those up as well!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh gently caress you should do it at a 45 degree angle with the upper half of a skull on top.

Skull and knockbones.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm down on boost (I think)

Boost gauge gonna get on got, same with a new rear O2 sensor for the dang AFR gauge so I can have some feedback

Junkyard trip SOOOOON to source me a 2.2 shortblock. If I'm going to NEFR in July, I'm bringing a spare engine with me.

Radiator and intercooler fans are also on the list.

I replaced both headlights and one of the turn signals. Waiting on the other turn signal to show up so I can get the windshield done and get it inspected.

Thanks Dr. Fozzenstein for instructing me on how to actually drive this thing... apparently lots of left foot braking and praying are required.

On the advice of the good doctor, I'm using my left foot to do all braking for a while in order to acquire some finesse.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

I'm down on boost (I think)

Boost gauge gonna get on got, same with a new rear O2 sensor for the dang AFR gauge so I can have some feedback

Junkyard trip SOOOOON to source me a 2.2 shortblock. If I'm going to NEFR in July, I'm bringing a spare engine with me.

Radiator and intercooler fans are also on the list.

I replaced both headlights and one of the turn signals. Waiting on the other turn signal to show up so I can get the windshield done and get it inspected.

Thanks Dr. Fozzenstein for instructing me on how to actually drive this thing... apparently lots of left foot braking and praying are required.

On the advice of the good doctor, I'm using my left foot to do all braking for a while in order to acquire some finesse.

It's a good strategy. Particularly if you have grabby brakes and particularly because left foot braking requires such a light touch.

I practice in bumper to bumper traffic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

When did you change your name to kastein?

:haw:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey can you keep any eye out for another one or a 205? Dave has a dead WRX that needs a new short block :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wrar posted:

Hey can you keep any eye out for another one or a 205? Dave has a dead WRX that needs a new short block :(

Please? She is so sad sitting in my garage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I have a lead on a few. What are you looking to spend?

EJ20 Turbos: $400 is easy. $200 less so.
EJ22s: super god damned easy for $95 all day yo

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Good question.

Wrar, do we want to swap short blocks or just drop and go?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Get a 205 and go.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That's more like $1100.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Honestly if you $400 shortblock it I can get it turned around in a day now. Just get new headgaskets and a new timing kit and work with me on a weekend I can come down.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We were debating borrowing a friends pickup, towing the car up there on a one way flatbed, and then driving it home as a shakedown.

Adiabatic posted:

Honestly if you $400 shortblock it I can get it turned around in a day now. Just get new headgaskets and a new timing kit and work with me on a weekend I can come down.

That could work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Really anywhere with a hoist is good. These don't need lifts at all.

If you're swapping shortblocks grabs a stand too, else just the hoist and a flat piece of land.