Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm still not sure I understand states/territories, or why I'd convert one to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
States cost upkeep, need admin to core "for real," your estates wants a piece of them and you can only have so many of them (the limit it raised by technology, ideas and government forms), but their autonomy can go down to 0% so that you can fully take advantage of their tax, production and manpower. On the other hand, territories cost nothing and are a lot cheaper to core but can't go under 75% autonomy. So it's really a trade-off between if it's worth investing money and admin or not.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Elman posted:

They made the more sensible alliance system a DLC bonus, but made States mandatory? :psyduck:

I wish they'd take a break for a few months and just focus on polishing things down, yeah. Like making Corruption not terrible. This game is pretty solid as it is, but they're really milking it and it starts to show. I used to like their DLC system, but I'm not buying a €15 DLC when the only feature I want from it is game replays.

The States/Territories system was the best part of Mare Nostrum imo, the rest of the changes range from "eh" to "bad" with the exception of the reworked Africa and Ireland maps.

Territories give you a lot of advantages, off the top of my head:
-You can delay paying full coring cost, pay half to make it a Territory and start the Separatism ticking down, and make it a State when you can afford the remaining ADM points.
-Choose which areas to keep as Territories, more direct control than the exploit-y Overseas system.
-Only States count towards Accepted Cultures, making it far easier to gain and maintain cultures.
-You can add Territories to the HRE, a fairly niche case but useful if you're the Emperor. Take some provinces, pay half for territorial cores, add them to the HRE and release as a vassal or whatever.

The cap on number of States is also not nearly as restrictive as it seems. The tooltip in the tech tab is a bit misleading, you get that many extra States at each ADM tech, the tooltip is NOT cumulative. I thought it was going to be really limiting for non-Euros, but that's not the case. For example, you get +5 States at tech 8 and another +6 at 12 for +11 total, and so on. You get TONS of available States from tech. Incidentally this makes the Administrative ideas +3 States bonus really weak.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The nobility was at 78% influence with 20% of my land. Sure a powerful estate, they're not going anywhere! Except I paid 100 ADM to change my goverment to a Constitutional Monarchy, and the nobility vanished from every place in my country. You'd think they'd be a little concerned about their annihilation, no?

Also let me note that I am a total dumbass and I didn't realize the "revolution" disaster only starts you on the path to being a cool revolutionary country. Maybe I will load an old save and surrender to the rebels, since Revolutionary Bohemia is a good name.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 30, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pellisworth posted:

The States/Territories system was the best part of Mare Nostrum imo, the rest of the changes range from "eh" to "bad" with the exception of the reworked Africa and Ireland maps.

Yeah I quite like the state system too, it's definitely a big improvement on the gamey vassal blocking technique. It's just the arbitrary lower limits for a lot of starts that sucks. Corruption on the other hand may be a non-issue as long as you're doing well financially (and even then it makes converting religion a really expensive pain in the rear end) but it adds nothing interesting to the game and punishes starting as a poorer country since it's a lot harder to pay it down. Maybe courthouses could reduce corruption as well as unrest. I hardly ever build them as it is.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I feel like paradox is committed to releasing a new expansion for eu4 every 3-4 months regardless, so there ends up being additions like sailors which aren't really good or bad but they're just there to be a checkmark to have enough items to justify another expansion. Like I can tell the bottom of the barrel is being scraped now and maybe the pace of new DLC releases needs to slow down a bit?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kersch posted:

I feel like paradox is committed to releasing a new expansion for eu4 every 3-4 months regardless, so there ends up being additions like sailors which aren't really good or bad but they're just there to be a checkmark to have enough items to justify another expansion. Like I can tell the bottom of the barrel is being scraped now and maybe the pace of new DLC releases needs to slow down a bit?
It's like the Sims, except not as bad. :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kersch posted:

It would be nice to see Paradox take a couple of years and unify all the existing features into an easy EU5 at this point.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kersch posted:

I agree, though with the caveat that EU4 is still my favorite game. I don't really see how the current patch model is going to work to make the game better, since a significant problem with the game now is too many different uninteresting features. This is partly a result of trying to give the fans what they want---we kept asking for internal politics and now we have have like 4 different implementations of them (Ming-style factions, factions in the Dutch republic government, parliament seats and debates, and estates) and none of them feel very robust or engaging. I can't see a DLC going and deleting all these features in favor of something fun and historical, that's obviously EU5 territory.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think stopping expansions is necessarily the right way to go, they're still selling (better than ever, apparently) and I imagine doing nothing but bug fixing and integration for months on end will result in having some of the devs driven totally insane.

But maybe less total revamps to core features for a while if they're not willing to flesh them out properly. It's miles better than on launch, but so much of the world is still barely fleshed out at all. Adding some stuff like the El Dorado religion mechanics to loads of the other teams, or HRE-likes in India and China, stuff that won't make the rest of the game feel half assed if they don't integrate it properly and will add loads of flavor to places that sorely need it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

A Divine Wind style expansion focused on East Asia that doesn't suck would be chill.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Wouldn't the HRE system work pretty well for China? The HRE system represents a huge, decentralized empire where the states pay tribute and levies to the emperor, with a lot of internal conflict, and with diplomatic actions for increasing imperial power. And it usually forces the emperor to focus way more on protecting its borders, and policing the realm than on expansion, which would be perfect for China, wouldn't it? And instead of the electors, they could make a new system based on the Mandate of Heaven, that would allow new dynasties to take over, as well as having its own centralization decisions, and religious mechanics. I always thought it was weird how they built this whole system for the HRE and they gave it it's own map mode, but they didn't apply it to anywhere else in the world.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish the Threaten War window was more specific with how its AE will get distributed :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:sigh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Do I need to colonize everything to get the World Conquest achievement, or is it enough to be the last man standing?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Star posted:

States cost upkeep, need admin to core "for real," your estates wants a piece of them and you can only have so many of them (the limit it raised by technology, ideas and government forms), but their autonomy can go down to 0% so that you can fully take advantage of their tax, production and manpower. On the other hand, territories cost nothing and are a lot cheaper to core but can't go under 75% autonomy. So it's really a trade-off between if it's worth investing money and admin or not.

That makes sense.

Unfortunately, as successful as I've been in creating Prussia and becoming Emperor, I make just enough money to operate when I mothball forts and reduce land maintenance. That means I have no advisors, so I'm low on admin points, and so I can't make states with how behind I am on tech, and so I continue to be low on production and taxes....

At least I'm almost at the point where I should be able to rid the world of Bohemia and Poland.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fat Samurai posted:

Do I need to colonize everything to get the World Conquest achievement, or is it enough to be the last man standing?

The latter.

Nice coalition. What did you do, take all of Aragon and Naples in a war?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's never such a thing as a "little" coalition it seems.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I inherited land in Burgundy, and I wanted to connect my French/Lowlands holdings, so I ate Flanders, pushing my AE pretty high. Then, a few years later, when my AE got to around -30 in the HRE, I threatened war for a piece of Brabant, since the Threaten War window said I'd only take 15 or so AE. But, nope. That was a trap. So here I am.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I inherited land in Burgundy, and I wanted to connect my French/Lowlands holdings, so I ate Flanders, pushing my AE pretty high. Then, a few years later, when my AE got to around -30 in the HRE, I threatened war for a piece of Brabant, since the Threaten War window said I'd only take 15 or so AE. But, nope. That was a trap. So here I am.

30 AE is the threshold for when people decide to gently caress you up. 45 AE is more than enough.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought it was 50 for people to join coalitions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

50AE is the coalition line, has been for a while. The problem with Threaten War is that it shows base AE, before modifiers, which will vary from tag to tag.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Territories give you a lot of advantages, off the top of my head:
-You can delay paying full coring cost, pay half to make it a Territory and start the Separatism ticking down, and make it a State when you can afford the remaining ADM points.
-Choose which areas to keep as Territories, more direct control than the exploit-y Overseas system.
-Only States count towards Accepted Cultures, making it far easier to gain and maintain cultures.
-You can add Territories to the HRE, a fairly niche case but useful if you're the Emperor. Take some provinces, pay half for territorial cores, add them to the HRE and release as a vassal or whatever.

The cap on number of States is also not nearly as restrictive as it seems. The tooltip in the tech tab is a bit misleading, you get that many extra States at each ADM tech, the tooltip is NOT cumulative. I thought it was going to be really limiting for non-Euros, but that's not the case. For example, you get +5 States at tech 8 and another +6 at 12 for +11 total, and so on. You get TONS of available States from tech. Incidentally this makes the Administrative ideas +3 States bonus really weak.

One thing I don't like about states is the AI just doesn't know how to use them right. You'll end up with colonizers turning far flung regions into states that cost more to upkeep than they give.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm still not sure I understand states/territories, or why I'd convert one to the other.

The states/territories system replaces the old Distant Overseas mechanic. The new system lets you designate which parts of your empire should be "distant overseas" and which shouldn't, without having to use gimmicky bullshit like vassal blocking. Territories are "distant overseas" provinces

People have been complaining about distant overseas for forever and now that it's gone they're all mad that it's gone. People are bad and stupid.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TTBF posted:

One thing I don't like about states is the AI just doesn't know how to use them right. You'll end up with colonizers turning far flung regions into states that cost more to upkeep than they give.

Will they, though? The maintenance penalty isn't that large and can be easily overshadowed by trade income if the goods there are worth a lot. In my recent Ottomans game I had some states in Northwestern Africa because it was actually a net 2-3 ducat monthly income boost once the autonomy bottoms out, something that can't be said for most of the territories in other parts of Africa and the Middle East (with several notable exceptions, ie wherever silk is involved)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I have definitely tag switched to a colonizer to see what was going on with them, only to discover their state maintenance was higher than their total income. I didn't take screenshots but if I see it happen again I'll do that and post it in here.

e: By "figure out what was going on", what was going on that tipped me off was they'd send out colonists and then immediately recall them.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 30, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
As soon as a couple people coalition me I immediately declare war on them if I think a bunch more will follow, and if I can take them. Better to not let the coalition get too big.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Will they, though? The maintenance penalty isn't that large and can be easily overshadowed by trade income if the goods there are worth a lot. In my recent Ottomans game I had some states in Northwestern Africa because it was actually a net 2-3 ducat monthly income boost once the autonomy bottoms out, something that can't be said for most of the territories in other parts of Africa and the Middle East (with several notable exceptions, ie wherever silk is involved)

How does turning a territory into a state boost trade income? I didn't know it did that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I feel like a bunch of recent features are just bandaids on the fact that EU needs SOME sort of population modeling going on.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

QuarkJets posted:

The states/territories system replaces the old Distant Overseas mechanic. The new system lets you designate which parts of your empire should be "distant overseas" and which shouldn't, without having to use gimmicky bullshit like vassal blocking. Territories are "distant overseas" provinces

People have been complaining about distant overseas for forever and now that it's gone they're all mad that it's gone. People are bad and stupid.

The only complaint I have is that they replaced a gamey system with a flawed system which means that they're probably not going to improve it ever again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cool and good posted:

How does turning a territory into a state boost trade income? I didn't know it did that.

Territories have a 75% autonomy floor, but the autonomy is reduced to 50% when you turn them into states with territory cores, and the autonomy floor is lifted completely when you turn them into state cores (the autonomy actually falls quite quickly once you do this). An autonomy decrease translates into a trade power and production efficiency increase, which means a trade income boost if you're collecting upstream of a new state.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just started a Daimyo game and everything was going well until one of my idiot allies with 3k troops decided to declare war for the emperor, and automatically dragged me into the war. I reloaded 3 times and it happens every time, and I don't even understand why I'm being automatically pulled into this unwinnable war, I don't get a call to arms or anything, the war just starts and I'm in it. How am I supposed to get anywhere in this campaign if my suicidal allies can just get me killed like this, with no choice on my part?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

super fart shooter posted:

I just started a Daimyo game and everything was going well until one of my idiot allies with 3k troops decided to declare war for the emperor, and automatically dragged me into the war. I reloaded 3 times and it happens every time, and I don't even understand why I'm being automatically pulled into this unwinnable war, I don't get a call to arms or anything, the war just starts and I'm in it. How am I supposed to get anywhere in this campaign if my suicidal allies can just get me killed like this, with no choice on my part?

If two subjects ally and one declares a war for independence, the other will be dragged into it. This is like that, but it's to see who becomes Japan. if you don't want to get your armies killed, just defend your own territory and try to white peace out as soon as possible. That makes it a pretty good recreation of what actual daimyo did.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

super fart shooter posted:

Is your ally either the Takeda or Uesugi? They'll pretty much do that to you every single game if you ally with them. I never checked in my playthrough, but it might have something to do with that bug where the AI values Mil Tech 4 way more than it should, thinking itself vastly superior to other countries that don't have Mil tech 4. And Takeda and Uesugi rulers tend to be very good, so they probably reach that tech faster than all the other daimyos.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do you perhaps have any provinces with mountains? You could just strap in and hold on tight for a bit

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm Hosokawa, and the dumb ally is the daimyo that starts out with one province all the way down in the southwest, in Kyushu. Which means the Shogun and everyone else basically has to stomp all over my land to get to them anyway so I doubt there's any way I can get out without losing a ton of stuff. I'm not sure if it's the tech 4 thing, but I bet it is, cause like I said, they only have 3k troops and our alliance barely has more than half what the shogun and everyone else does, there's no reasonable way they could've thought we had a chance.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I thought this was neat: someone on Reddit posted about the Chinese EU4 community, translating a bunch of posts from one of their forums: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/4h6euj/front_page_of_chinese_eu4_subreddit/

I really want to try their Asia rebalance mod, even though my Mandarin is pretty amateur level. It looks like they added a bunch of new provinces, events and tags (including a bunch of aborigine states in Australia Aozhou).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quote:

21 HRE is so tiny in size but appears to have 1/4 of the entire world's tax and manpower?

i feel this one so hard

e: surprising lack of nationalistic ranting though, i have to say

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
On statehood and territories does the double coring end up being around the same admin amount as before?

I haven't played at all since before estates got added so I'm doing a lot of catch up. Every time I need to add an estate I forget that you do it from the buildings sidebar, and wonder why you can't do it from the estate interaction screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Koramei posted:

i feel this one so hard

I saw a post where they debate the source of "Spain is not the Emperor".

• Locked thread