Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

I just really can't figure out what I can backstab and what I can't, what I can parry and what I can't. It makes going for a critical heavy build really lame.

Usually the rule is if it's got an obvious back, you can stab it. I think most humanoid enemies outside of bosses can be backstabbed. And Abyss Watchers can be, but I don't think any bosses beyond that? Not entirely sure.

And you can parry almost anything that's swinging an actual weapon at you, even bosses. Like in previous games, if something can't be parried, or if you get the timing a little off but not hugely, you should still take reduced damage from the attack. But the timing definitely feels weird compared to previous games. I've heard that you can judge the start of the parry frames by what point your stamina bar loses a chunk, which makes the difference between small shields and standard shields very obvious. Small shields are almost instant on the button press and the others have a noticeable delay. Still hasn't helped me be able to consistently land parries, though.

Beyond that, though, in this game you can also do the Bloodborne thing where you stagger big enemies that you can't backstab or parry and get your giant crit attacks in that way. So you could always just wail on their head until they fall down and then get your crit off. Although this seems to work better if you're smashing them with a big weapon rather than poking them with a small quick weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I was total poo poo at parries in earlier games and find them MUCH easier in this one. The parry-specific shields have this flourish before the actual deflection, so you hit the button when the enemy starts the wind-up and both their strike and your deflect intersect. It might've been similar in earlier games but in this one it's very intuitive, or at least that's what I've discovered.

Naturally, though, this change is probably throwing off a lot of people who had the timing in earlier games down.

As to backstabs, I love how the clearly non-backstabbable humanoid enemies are the ones with a giant door or cross or something mounted on their backs.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like that the Curse Rotted Greatwood's lore is that everyone in the Undead Settlement basically just chucked all their cursed items inside this big tree to get rid of it all, literally the same way Mr Burns got rid of nuclear waste in that one episode of the Simpsons.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

You've clearly been missing mimics cause the last mimic you kill in DS1 is guaranteed to drop one. Apparently DS3 is the same way but sometimes it bugs out and you have to reload to find it where the Sunlight Sword mimic is.

When a mimic does its job TOO well, and starves to death...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can safely say I don't understand invasion mechanics in this one. I went back to the pond in NG+ and got invaded like crazy by the worst estus chugging dorks I have ever seen and just mowed them all down. The red guys were obviously invaders, and I think the blue guys are the wolf covenant, but they kept emoting/running off/chugging after I started hitting them I have no idea what was going on? Either way, I've never killed 3 invaders at once by myself and I felt pretty badass, so i hung out there for like 45 minutes and no one else bit. Was really hoping for more action.

Does that wolf covenant ignore levels? I kind of couldn't believe how easy it was to kill everyone that invaded me. Also how to I make that keep happening?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
i got a symbol from the first mimic and i convinced that one to fly off the ramparts so i had to reload to get the items :shobon:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

NESguerilla posted:

I can safely say I don't understand invasion mechanics in this one. I went back to the pond in NG+ and got invaded like crazy by the worst estus chugging dorks I have ever seen and just mowed them all down. The red guys were obviously invaders, and I think the blue guys are the wolf covenant, but they kept emoting/running off/chugging after I started hitting them I have no idea what was going on? Either way, I've never killed 3 invaders at once by myself and I felt pretty badass, so i hung out there for like 45 minutes and no one else bit. Was really hoping for more action.

Does that wolf covenant ignore levels? I kind of couldn't believe how easy it was to kill everyone that invaded me. Also how to I make that keep happening?

Sounds like you got invaded by idiots who thought they were invincible since they were in NG+.

And I've fought a lot of dumbs like that in NG who chug, run off, and emote. Normally they're pretty bad and mostly resort to the bait you into enemy formations tactic.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Is there any way to kill those giant floaty wispy tree things in lothric castle?

They're there and I really want to kill one but they're all out of bow range.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Irithyll Dungeon, worst part of the game by far.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Invading in the Grand Archives seems like such a good idea, but it's really just an exercise in frustration. I always have the worst luck in there, for whatever reason. Lothric Castle proper is much more agreeable. Fewer narrow areas and elevators where ganksquads can corner you.

Also the Black Knight Greataxe is amazing??? But your roll attack can be parried even if you're twohanding, which may have gotten me killed once.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I like that the Curse Rotted Greatwood's lore is that everyone in the Undead Settlement basically just chucked all their cursed items inside this big tree to get rid of it all, literally the same way Mr Burns got rid of nuclear waste in that one episode of the Simpsons.

Dumping curses in a tree is an actual Shinto tradition. It's one of those Japanese culture things that show up in video games sometimes. The antagonist of Final Fantasy V is one of them too.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
How does the Moonlight greatsword perform in this game? I'm just a sucker for that weapon. I really only give a poo poo about PvE - and I realize PvE can be trivialized with any weapon. But I'm also not so great at this game. Is it at least decent? Are the charged attacks particularly painful on the weapon durability?

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Ugato posted:

How does the Moonlight greatsword perform in this game? I'm just a sucker for that weapon. I really only give a poo poo about PvE - and I realize PvE can be trivialized with any weapon. But I'm also not so great at this game. Is it at least decent? Are the charged attacks particularly painful on the weapon durability?

Well the good news is that special moves no longer use durability. It all comes from FP now (which is the blue bar beneath your health, if you didn't know) so you can use it all you want provided you still have some.

As far as the weapon itself goes, it doesn't look bad. I think it ends up with c scaling in intelligence, d and e in str and dex respectively, and 144+242 base damage at +5. So if nothing else, it should be fine for PVE. That said I haven't actually used it yet myself.

Edit:

Pwnstar posted:

Actually its got one attack that uses FP and one that uses durability. Its not a big deal though unless you are going crazy with it in general exploration and going a long way between bonfires. Should have no issues with it for bosses or PvP.
Huh, did not know that. Fair enough.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 1, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Actually its got one attack that uses FP and one that uses durability. Its not a big deal though unless you are going crazy with it in general exploration and going a long way between bonfires. Should have no issues with it for bosses or PvP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have a katana and a reaper at +2 with similar damage number, same damage type, except the reaper does maybe 3/5 the damage of the katana per swing while also swinging slower. The neck slice skill takes a solid 2 seconds to come out and uses focus, but it does less damage than a single katana R1 to basic enemies in the second area.

What am I missing here?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
nothing can beat nippon steel
reaper probably has better range also.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

I have a katana and a reaper at +2 with similar damage number, same damage type, except the reaper does maybe 3/5 the damage of the katana per swing while also swinging slower. The neck slice skill takes a solid 2 seconds to come out and uses focus, but it does less damage than a single katana R1 to basic enemies in the second area.

What am I missing here?
As far as the neck slice goes, as far as people can tell it only procs if it lands a perfect headshot with the pointy bit for "Headshot" damage, arrow style.

So of course you are hardly ever going to see it happen even on enemies the same height as you :v:

That said, Reaper has some fun Strong attacks and even it's charged hard comes out fairly fast compared to weapons of similar size.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I am pretty sure that for the overwhelming majority of the time you can do well with any weapon so just go with what seems more fun to you. Going with the most optimally efficient weapon of each type will only let you kill a boss or player with one or two less swings as long as you got the right stats and they are both upgraded to the same level. Getting your own skills up with dodging/blocking attacks and learning how the game works is going to be the most effective thing anyway. So just have fun and keep trying.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Szcwczuk posted:

Irithyll Dungeon, worst part of the game by far.

I'm here currently and boy howdy is it a craphole. The ear-piercing scream from looting the barely alive dudes loving suuuuuucks when wearing earphones. I don't startle that easily and I almost dropped my controller from that poo poo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Fashion Souls is all i have left...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Crown of Dusk does more for magic damage output than dragon body stone roar buff? Why that and the "adjustments" of magic hitting so hard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsC6tRKEIXY
..oh

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Wizard Chat:

so, I've been playing so far as a wizard, (Pure sorcery) because I have for the previous 2 games and I like wizards. so far, especially boss fights, it's either been great fun, or gently caress this, I need buddies to kill this big shitlord. I was running with the mail breaker for a while, until I realised I could use the rapier and it got waay more fun poking dudes to death with my magic pokey stick, as well as the ol' blue pew pew. I find it tricky to do any kind of crowd control, even with the sage ring, Soul greatsword is a bit too long to cast and have been interrupted to death a few time by scrub enemies.

so far:
Tutorial boss - EAT HOT BLUE DEATH
ICE DOG - EAT HOT BLUE DEATH (and rolling)
Tree beard - AAAH Take some damage you wooden turd.
Abyss dudes - run away, let them fight each other and eat hot laser.
Big Hat wizard - not fun. died a lot. time for some sun bro action.
bunch of vicars - ha, suck my soul greatsword.
Vomiting skelly - tough to get enough damage in.
lava demon - first go. doesn't have any ranged attacks that aren't piss easy to dodge.
Giant dude is a gimmick. and I had a buddy (unexpectedly)
but now I keep getting my rear end handed to me by Aldrich. gently caress him. I'mma gonna switch to some firey balls action I think.

so, it's not too bad, but I don't think I'd have progressed without jolly co-operation on a couple of bosses.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Digirat posted:

What am I missing here?

Assuming you're talking about the scythe, it has better scaling than the uchi, that's basically its only advantage. At low levels weapon scaling doesn't really do much so the scythe is rear end.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lol, Estoc:

Spoiler warning, all bosses video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1FWH_Y2Y10

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Oscar you chump, couldn't even make it past these fuckin hoser hollows.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Titchy Gren channeling intensifies.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oscar you chump, couldn't even make it past these fuckin hoser hollows.

maybe this is the last remnant of the asylum, and he sits there since DS1.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MrLonghair posted:

Crown of Dusk does more for magic damage output than dragon body stone roar buff? Why that and the "adjustments" of magic hitting so hard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsC6tRKEIXY
..oh

Huh?

The Crown is just a magic clutch ring with... I want to say 15 AR.

Then again, that other 15 I saw in the data may be Spell Buff, I suppose.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

gently caress archdragon peak.

gently caress it hard.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Okay I am ready to agree with everyone who says Darkmoon autosummon is busted.

Level 30, +2 reinforcement at Undead Settlement? No way you shouldn't be summoned, come on.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I can't find a god drat different weapon to use beside my Heavy Broadsword +3 :(

I got some boss weapons that are STR oriented but they seem very niche in their usage. I've got the Butcher Knife or whatever it's called but it can't be infused so it's inherently weaker then my Broadsword.

Are the lighter swords/maces/etc just better for PVE? Someone recommend me another weapon. Once I found the broadsword it kinda just became the weapon.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Choose something cool! The fat ladies in Undead Settlement drop a big spiky mace, that could be a fun weapon.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Stringbean posted:

I can't find a god drat different weapon to use beside my Heavy Broadsword +3 :(

I got some boss weapons that are STR oriented but they seem very niche in their usage. I've got the Butcher Knife or whatever it's called but it can't be infused so it's inherently weaker then my Broadsword.

Are the lighter swords/maces/etc just better for PVE? Someone recommend me another weapon. Once I found the broadsword it kinda just became the weapon.

The Butcher Knife is actually incredibly good for PvE. It has great range for an axe, and should make it very competitive to the broadsword, even if you technically lose a few points of damage.

Otherwise you have to go up to heavier weapons if you want something to compete. Broadsword is a (roughly) str based Straightsword, where straights are obnoxiously powerful for their speed stamina cost, even the shorter broadsword.

But since NPCs will poise, the bigger weapons are actually pretty handy. The Darkwraith NPCs for example will usually poise through three swings on faster weapons, and usually attack in between, but a GS class will reliably stagger in two, making it much easier to plan a followup swing on the stagger. You will probably see a similar case moving to the Butcher's Knife. It's enemy specific, but axes are still comfortably fast, just less useful for PvP, because it's so easy to block setup parry compared to straights.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I beat a summoned red phantom last night with the Butchers, maybe I'll give it another go. It looks cool to boot.

I think I've got titanite to upgrade it past +3 too...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Stringbean posted:

Yes. Also you should be able to buy a bunch by this point.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Okay I am ready to agree with everyone who says Darkmoon autosummon is busted.

Level 30, +2 reinforcement at Undead Settlement? No way you shouldn't be summoned, come on.

It's a little disheartening to see that their attempt to fix it was to increase the summon ranges. There is some kind of priority bug on the server side, it's pretty obvious when two people at the same levels get such wildly different results.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
My watchdog of farron character at SL 30 gets almost no hits while my supercop at SL 25 gets chainsummoned at equal reinforcement levels . Something is definitely busted.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i just really have no idea what is going on with the autosummon covenants, we have a ton of characters all over the level/upgrade range in this house and none of them can get anything to bite at all anymore, with the exception of the occasional aldritch covenant. after getting non-stop watchdog action on release day, it sucks total loving rear end!!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I just grabbed this game and I've been enjoying it so far. I started off as a cleric and its been a good challenge so far. I find parrying much easier this time around, in previous dark souls I almost never parried anyone. So from what I can tell, invasions only happen if you use a ember, more similar to bloodborne, except you don't have to summon someone to help you. Also, matchmaking is based off level and weapon buff, which I really like, its more similar to Dark souls 1, except it helps prevent getting owned by low level guys with upgraded gear. I also noticed I don't seem to go hollow when I die, though I will lose my "embered"(?) status if I had it. But I guess I can go hollow later on after finding certain items.

I also like that the beginning gifts are all items collectible in the game, it was kind of a pain to have a whole quest line cut off from you if you didn't pick a certain ring at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
(PS4) Today I have ceased getting all bluebro action on my level 25 (+3/10) despite it being the weekend.Wolfbro and Aldrich summons kick in within moments of returning to my own world. The gently caress.