Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Some anti-Zionists are anti-semites hiding behind inaccurate language" does not imply "all anti-Zionism is anti-semitism". Repeat ten times a day until the urge to post subsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe the UN would like Israel more if Israel didn't keep blowing up its humanitarian facilities

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

quote:

Except that you're cherry picking

I'm not cherry picking examples: show me a prominent pro-Palestinian activist or writer who hasn't been accused of anti-semitism. It is systematic. When even the first Jewish contender for President of the US is called an anti-semite for expressing sympathy for the Palestinians' humanity, you know this is a real problem.

quote:

and there are just as many examples of Alison Weir and Stormfront types JUST ASKING QUESTIONS about international financiers, morons like Joy Karega being wild anti-Semites and claiming they're just anti-Zionist

Talk about cherry picking; Alison Weir was banished from the BDS/pro-Palestinian movement as a result of her statements and her willingness to break the cordon sanitaire. Joy Karega is a marginal figure most activists had never heard of who ended up posting kooky, anti-semitic crap on her Facebook and who probably believes the moon landing was faked. Stormfront types are not a part of the movement (every major pro-Palestinian organization I know of has a zero-tolerance policy on bigotry) and generally consider Palestinians and Arabs in general to be subhuman. Now, of course there are some anti-semites who support the Palestinian cause just like there are some racists who support Greenpeace. But I reject the claim that anti-semitism is endemic to the movement; every major pro-Palestinian organization rejects bigotry of all kinds including anti-semitism and a deep hatred of injustice and discrimination is the reason activists stick up for Palestinian rights in the first place. The idea that any pro-Palestinian activist is an anti-semite until proven otherwise is insulting and it ignores the fact that when Bernie Sanders is accused of "blood libel" for being appalled at Israel's appalling conduct in Protective Edge, anti-semitic tropes are being stretched far beyond recognition in order to silence dissent.

And notice that nowhere in this conversation has the question been posed as to whether anti-Palestinianism or Islamophobia is endemic to the pro-Israel camp(which I'd argue it pretty clearly is; after all, most Zionists literally have no problem with the Israeli government treating its non-Jewish citizens as second-class citizens.) A double standard perhaps?

quote:

and things like the Mearsheimer/Walt report playing into centuries of anti-Semitic tropes in additional to being factually wrong,

This is what I'm talking about. Walt and Mearsheimer did not propose a sinister cabal of Jews plotting world domination; they made an argument about the influence of the pro-Israel lobby. So now acknowledging that AIPAC and allied organizations exist and are good at their job(which is to influence government policy, like every other lobbyist) is now "playing into anti-semitic tropes" if not anti-semitism pure and simple. One can certainly argue against their conclusions; many writers and critics I respect have argued convincingly that their analysis underestimates the role of the military-industrial complex and ends up eliding the responsibility of American imperialism. This kind of criticism is precisely what keeps a honest discussion going. But tarring Walt and Mearsheimer as anti-semites, as they have been accused of, is unfair, stifling to the discussion and just as importantly, it cheapens the meaning of anti-semitism. America's government is profoundly influenced by lobbyists of all kinds and discussing the influence of lobbyists and political constituencies is fair game; would you argue it's illegitimate or bigoted to talk about the influence of fossil-fuel lobbyists on America's energy policy? Or the role of financial industry lobbyists and money in shaping our country's laws? Unless we have evidence of real anti-semitism(hatred of or discrimination against Jewish people), we should avoid making accusations of anti-semitism.

quote:

Or the insane double standard of the UN's disproportionate criticism of Israel,

Ah yes, the vast international Palestinian conspiracy. Most of the UN's criticism is grounded in violations of law, be it the settlements, the right of return, the Golan Heights or Israel's behavior in Gaza. Sure, some of their resolutions are inane(cf, the Western Wall); this is after all the organization that put the KSA on the Human Rights Council. But if you want to criticize a double standard, how about the fact that the US vetoes any meaningful attempt to hold Israel accountable to international law? Why is Cuba placed under sanctions and embargo for its human rights abuses when what's going on in the West Bank is just as bad? How can Israel continue to build illegal colonies with total impunity and then complain that they're bullied and subject to some vague anti-semitic double standard? And why is any theoretical double standard that negatively impacts Israel assumed to be proof of anti-semitism but any other double standards(eg. the US supporting the Pinochet dictatorship while condemning the Castro dictatorship) are assumed to be the result of far more mundane motives like corruption or petty politics?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe someone in here can tell me why the ex mayor of London gets censured for saying that Hitler didn't want to kill all the Jews at first, he just wanted to exile them to Israel when that's the same poo poo Netanyahu said so he could talk more poo poo about Palestinians since they're the ones who convinced Hitler that the final solution was necessary?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe the UN would like Israel more if Israel didn't keep blowing up its humanitarian facilities

Or if Israel had a population of 1 billion and 50 seats in the UN.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kim Jong Il posted:

Netanyahu was among many cheerleading for it because he's an idiot, a traitor, and a chickenshit.

He's no true Israeli, is that what you're saying? After a rant on cherry-picking and avoiding to mention embarrassing examples, you're then trying to pretend that Bibi is irrelevant to what Israel is and does?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
You know, there are degrees of anti-Semitism. It's not a toggle switch where you go from nothing to instant Holocaust.

It's inaccurate to say that Israel is responsible for the Iraq war, as their PM at the time opposed it.

Ken Livingston didn't exactly pepper his comment with nuance.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 1, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Ken Livingstone really is more an idiot who is too eager to believe anyone giving a message that's anti-establishment. Also he never fact-checks.

I'm not denying he might possibly be antisemitic but I honestly don't know. He certainly is an idiot about anything to do with international politics, history and religion (in modern world contexts) though.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 1, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Maoist Pussy posted:

You can criticize things all you like, but when you start talking about the destruction of a nation founded to protect the Jewish people, then you are talking about genocide.

Does this mean that Meir Ettinger and other Jewish religious-nationalists are calling for the genocide of their own people? You'd think that would hurt their support among the hilltop youth.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Except that you're cherry picking, and there are just as many examples of Alison Weir and Stormfront types JUST ASKING QUESTIONS about international financiers, morons like Joy Karega being wild anti-Semites and claiming they're just anti-Zionist, and things like the Mearsheimer/Walt report playing into centuries of anti-Semitic tropes in additional to being factually wrong, which didn't stop anti-Zionists from dying on the insane Israel is responsible for the war in Iraq hill.

It's almost as if some people who say X also happen to be anti-Semites and other people who say X aren't! Unfortunately this is incomprehensible to my binary worldview devoid of nuisance

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

You know, there are degrees of anti-Semitism. It's not a toggle switch where you go from nothing to instant Holocaust.

It's inaccurate to say that Israel is responsible for the Iraq war, as their PM at the time opposed it.

Ken Livingston didn't exactly pepper his comment with nuance.

You want to talk about cherry-picking, you never answered these:

FreshlyShaven posted:

show me a prominent pro-Palestinian activist or writer who hasn't been accused of anti-semitism.

And notice that nowhere in this conversation has the question been posed as to whether anti-Palestinianism or Islamophobia is endemic to the pro-Israel camp(which I'd argue it pretty clearly is; after all, most Zionists literally have no problem with the Israeli government treating its non-Jewish citizens as second-class citizens.) A double standard perhaps?

And why is any theoretical double standard that negatively impacts Israel assumed to be proof of anti-semitism but any other double standards(eg. the US supporting the Pinochet dictatorship while condemning the Castro dictatorship) are assumed to be the result of far more mundane motives like corruption or petty politics?

But who knows, maybe these are all non sequiturs and not worthy of a meaningful response.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Except that you're cherry picking, and there are just as many examples of Alison Weir and Stormfront types JUST ASKING QUESTIONS about international financiers, morons like Joy Karega being wild anti-Semites and claiming they're just anti-Zionist, and things like the Mearsheimer/Walt report playing into centuries of anti-Semitic tropes in additional to being factually wrong, which didn't stop anti-Zionists from dying on the insane Israel is responsible for the war in Iraq hill. (Where the truth is that Sharon actively opposed it on realpolitik terms, but Netanyahu was among many cheerleading for it because he's an idiot, a traitor, and a chickenshit.) Or the insane double standard of the UN's disproportionate criticism of Israel, to the point where UNESCO resolutions are saying things like the Western Wall is an entirely Islamic site.

I think that you're right about there being a large element of anti-semitism involved in anti-Israel activism, including the fact that Israel is focused on disproportionately by the UN.

That being said, the fact that racists believe something does not make that thing inherently wrong. In the case of Israel, you have both "genuine" (for lack of a better word) activism and activism motivated to some extent by bigotry. But none of this changes the fact that Israel actually is guilty of the crimes that it is frequently accused of.

I guess my main point here is that "some pro-Palestinian sentiment is motivated by antisemitism" is not any more of a valid defense of Israel than anti-Japanese racists being a defense of Imperial Japan in WW2. At the end of the day, the country is still guilty of the primary crimes it's been accused of.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Ytlaya posted:

the fact that Israel is focused on disproportionately by the UN.

I hear this said quite a lot and then I have to remind myself that Iraq was destroyed on the basis of what Israel has been doing freely for 50 years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hong XiuQuan posted:

I hear this said quite a lot and then I have to remind myself that Iraq was destroyed on the basis of what Israel has been doing freely for 50 years.

Well, the fact that other countries have also faced disproportionate criticism (or actual action, as in the case with Iraq) doesn't mean that Israel hasn't as well. But in this case the problem isn't that Israel receives too much criticism; it's that other similar (or worse) countries don't receive enough. Israel's defenders tend to use this to argue that people should stop criticizing Israel, when the correct conclusion is that they should also criticize other lovely countries.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Y2PA-OUJ4&t=66s Is this antisemitic

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Once again, theocracy reigns in the heart of Jerusalem, to the detriment of both non-Jews and secular Jews alike. This one is a particularly fun one because it isn't just a religious justification, it's a business justification as well - religious businesses that closed on Saturday complained that they were losing business to stores that didn't close on Saturday, because many of the secular people would go shopping on Saturday (when the religious stores were closed). Naturally, religious businesses complained that this was unfair, and demanded that their rivals be forced to close on Saturday as well in order to "level the playing field". It's just another example of how, even though the national government mostly tiptoes around religious mandates, local authorities are more than happy to force religious rules upon Israel, one neighborhood at a time.

quote:

Facing imminent bankruptcies due to forced Shabbat closures enforced by the Jerusalem Municipality, the owners of eight of the capital’s targeted 24/7 mini-markets are fighting the mandate, despite being fined several hundred shekels every weekend.

The measure was announced by the municipality last August in an apparent quid pro quo to appease the capital’s sizable ultra-Orthodox community that violently protested the Shabbat operation of the Yes Planet multiplex, which opened a few days earlier.

On Sunday, following months of legal wrangling, three of the mini-markets’ employees and owners said they were fined NIS 475 each for the first time last weekend after being warned for three consecutive weekends prior to that one.

Noting that roughly 50 percent of their income comes from Shabbat sales, all said they have no choice but to remain open and pay the fines.

“After giving warnings every week since April 1, they came in last week and just gave us a NIS 475 fine,” said Ariel Bayder, a cashier at Super Market, off Jaffa Road.

“The owner said he is working with a lawyer and is going to continue taking the fines until after it goes to trial,” he said.

David Cohen, 32, who took over the nearby Super 24 Market on Shamai Street from his father a few years ago, said he also got the NIS 475 fine, but refuses to close his doors on Shabbat.

“If I close on Shabbat, I can’t keep the store open,” he said, while reviewing receipts from the previous week. “We have a lawyer and we’re going to keep fighting this.”

Amir Iluz, who works at 24 Hours Hillel Mini Market, echoed Cohen’s sentiments.

“We will go to court and fight it,” he said, noting that seven of the store owners are represented by two attorneys.

“We are Jewish, but not religious, so have a right to stay open during Shabbat,” he added. “If we close on Friday night and Saturday the business goes down. Mayor Barkat is just doing this for the haredim. He is sacrificing us for them.”

Indeed, despite being in Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat’s coalition, city councilman Hanan Rubin, of the Hitorerut Party, claimed the mayor was offering the Shabbat closures to placate the capital’s powerful ultra-Orthodox parties.

“The haredim are extorting him over the issue of Yes Planet, so that they can have a victory to show... on one of these Shabbat issues,” he said when the forced closures were announced.

Additionally, the store owners noted that the municipality’s legal adviser is allowing mini-markets in the Ein Kerem, Talpiot and Atarot neighborhoods, far from downtown, to remain open since the haredi populations in those areas are smaller, and protests are less likely.

Municipal bylaws enacted many years ago mandating that Jerusalem businesses close for Shabbat do not apply to leisure-oriented businesses such as restaurants, cafes and cinemas, although most remain closed on Shabbat anyway.

In the meantime, it remains unclear if, or when, the case will go to court.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ultramega posted:

You want to talk about cherry-picking, you never answered these:

But who knows, maybe these are all non sequiturs and not worthy of a meaningful response.

They are in the sense that it boils down to "those bad things you mentioned don't matter because other bad things are happening."

Ytlaya posted:

But none of this changes the fact that Israel actually is guilty of the crimes that it is frequently accused of.

It's frequently accused of genocide, which is demonstrably false. What's the need to exaggerate when keeping Gaza in a state of semi starvation and rubble is bad enough?

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 3, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kim Jong Il posted:

They are in the sense that it boils down to "those bad things you mentioned don't matter because other bad things are happening."

It's frequently accused of genocide, which is demonstrably false. What's the need to exaggerate when keeping Gaza in a state of semi starvation and rubble is bad enough?

Don't forget very slow, slightly confused ethnic cleansing in the West Bank! :toot:

Edit: by confused, I mean the Israeli government's total inability to reliably tell the settlers to go gently caress themselves, while also not really having a viable option to straight up deport all the undesirables from desirable land, which basically leads to a slow, creeping ethnic cleansing that is temporarily and mildly reversed when the dice come up just so.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 3, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When hamas uses UN facilities to stage attacks of terror on the State of Israel and its people, and then the Israeli Defense Forces respond by striking those facilities, and the UN blames the jews for it, it makes you think.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

hakimashou posted:

When hamas uses UN facilities to stage attacks of terror on the State of Israel and its people, and then the Israeli Defense Forces respond by striking those facilities, and the UN blames the jews for it, it makes you think.

Good work defending those brave soldiers blowing up the surrounding area on top of it as well. They were just being thorough, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Well, yeah, obviously it's not guilty of literally everything people accuse it of. But it's guilty of enough to say "yeah this country is pretty hosed up and needs to stop doing evil things."

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

hakimashou posted:

Makes me think you're a crazy person at least

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Makes me think Israel uses a gross overabundance of artillery to solve issues which can be solved by informing the UN that their empty facilities are being used by Hamas, yeah.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just saw an article on Haaretz (in Hebrew, sorry) about the segregation in the delivery wards. A group started putting up billboards near hospitals telling them to stop the segregation. The first one was put up at Kfar Saba, but was taken down in less than a day because apparently it was offensive?

The billboard basically says 'Dr. Eitan Wertheim, stop the segregation in the delivery wards'.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Just saw an article on Haaretz (in Hebrew, sorry) about the segregation in the delivery wards. A group started putting up billboards near hospitals telling them to stop the segregation. The first one was put up at Kfar Saba, but was taken down in less than a day because apparently it was offensive?

The billboard basically says 'Dr. Eitan Wertheim, stop the segregation in the delivery wards'.

Guys, it's not apartheid. Honest. We give Arabs the same rights but you've got to admit, public services, businesses etc need a little discretion right? I mean, if different people want to drink at different fountains, why not?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ytlaya posted:

I think that you're right about there being a large element of anti-semitism involved in anti-Israel activism, including the fact that Israel is focused on disproportionately by the UN.

It's not though. It has a load of meaningless GA assembly resolutions against it which amount to diddly squat.

Israel would much prefer those to what a different country would get in the same situation, which is massive sanctions. Israel is disproportionately protected and favoured in the UN, even if it's only by the USA's patronage.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Quite a good article on the Times Literary Supplement blog dealing with Ken Livingstone's, erm, misconceptions about Hitler and Zionism.

http://timescolumns.typepad.com/stothard/2016/04/hitler-and-the-zionists.html

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hakimashou posted:

Hey, this sounds a lot like something that didn't actually happen. Could you perhaps expand on this a bit? Are you referring to the vacant and abandoned UN facilities where mortars were discovered, for which Hamas was admonished, or the UN facilities that the IDF shelled in spite of having intelligence confirming that they sheltered civilians and contained no weapons? It seems really strange that you would conflate the two, so I'm assuming that you're referring to a separate event for which I'm just unable to find documentation.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Kajeesus posted:

Hey, this sounds a lot like something that didn't actually happen. Could you perhaps expand on this a bit? Are you referring to the vacant and abandoned UN facilities where mortars were discovered, for which Hamas was admonished, or the UN facilities that the IDF shelled in spite of having intelligence confirming that they sheltered civilians and contained no weapons? It seems really strange that you would conflate the two, so I'm assuming that you're referring to a separate event for which I'm just unable to find documentation.

And to clarify, the former isn't explicitly Hamas. Although someone did place rockets in an abandoned school I don't think it's ever been shown to specifically be Hamas as opposed to other possibilities like PIJ.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Possibly the most important thing of all is that shelling rocket launch sites accomplishes diddly squat - the people who launched it are already long gone by the time a counterstrike can be launched, and launching rockets doesn't require any permanent infrastructure that can be destroyed. It's purely revenge attacks, a mixture of trying to look tough for the media and engaging in collective punishment against the local population. It's a farce, sometimes to the point of absurdity - like when Islamic Jihad started launching rockets after Protective Edge and the IDF responded by bombing "Hamas-owned" empty fields.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

quote:

Sure, there are degrees. But there is also a distinction between criticism of a nation state and/or its policies on the one hand and bigotry towards a people on the other. The two should never be conflated. The problem with your argument is that you assume that all criticism of Israel is somewhere on the anti-semitic spectrum, the only question being exactly where. In this framework, the difference between "the IDF's conduct in Gaza was criminal" and "Jews love killing Christian babies to flavor their matzoh soup" is merely a question of degree, not the difference between an accurate and passionate criticism of human rights abuses on the one hand versus an anti-semitic, dehumanizing fantasy on the other. Or at least, if that's not what you're arguing, the kind of argument you're presenting ends up enabling precisely those kind of dishonest attacks, like when Orren accused Sanders of "blood libel".

quote:

I've only read parts of the Israel Lobby, but from what I remember, Walt and Mearsheimer weren't claiming that poor, innocent America got forced into invading Iraq by the mean ole Israel lobby, but rather that the Israel lobby, which tends to ally itself with the right-wing of Israeli politics, was a "necessary but not sufficient factor" in the Iraq war, ie that the war was not caused by Israel alone but that it was an important factor. As I said, there's a lot to criticize about their work but to smear it as anti-semitism is beyond the pale and has a chilling effect on the discussion.

quote:

I said nothing of the sort. The closest thing to what you're describing was when I brushed off Weir and Karega as abberations because Weir has been loudly disowned by the rest of the movement and Karega is a nobody who got caught posting anti-semitic tinfoil-hat crap on her Facebook. I never said that their bigotry was acceptable, just that it's unfair to consider them representative of a large group of anti-racism campaigners.

As for what you were asked to respond to in the quote: You claimed that false accusations of anti-semitism were not common and that those who complain about such baseless accusations are chilling the discussion themselves. I retorted that pretty much every prominent person who has taken a pro-Palestinian stand has been met with baseless accusations of anti-semitism and I challenged you to name a single notable pro-Palestinian activist who hasn't been met with such abuse(a challenge you never responded to.)

I also asked why the double standard: why is it when the US condemns its human rights-abusing enemies while applauding or staying silent about human rights-abusing allies, we chalk it up to politics or hypocrisy but when an Arab country condemns Israel for its human rights abuses while staying silent about the human rights abuses of its allies, we see this as confirmation of their pathological hatred of Jews? Doesn't that in itself imply a "blood libel" vision of Arabs, that Arabs are pathological monsters motivated by a thirst for Jewish blood(like the way Israel's defenders describe Israel as a "villa in the jungle" under constant threat from the dark hordes, an outpost of society threatened by hostile Arab armies on all sides even though the most powerful Arab countries are now Israel's allies and the Arab League has recognized the necessity of a 2 state solution since the 70s)?

Finally, I asked whether you'd be willing to apply the same kind of armchair-psychologist scrutiny to Israel's defenders that you want to subject pro-Palestinian activists to? Would you agree that all defenses of Israel are racist, differing only in degree like you believe that criticisms of Israel are all to differing degrees anti-semitic? Would you agree that the only difference between "Hamas bears some responsibility for Israel's attacks on Gaza" and "Palestinians kill their own children and parade them on news cameras to defame Israel" is merely a matter of degree of the racism underlying both?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Slanderer posted:

This is literally genocide, actually

I support testing this theory by experimentation.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I'm guessing he's gonna reply with two or three pointed sentences to this and act like he owned you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
A desire to engage in ethnic cleansing at some point is probably the most accurate term I could use for Israeli intentions in the Palestinian territory. When I presented the dictionary definition of ethnic cleansing to people who suggested that the inhabitants of Gaza and the West bank move, they just kinda shrugged. I don't recall which one it was, MIGF or hakimashou.

The very notion that you can occupy territory, then tell the inhabitants that they can neither be citizens of an independent country nor be citizens of Israel is rather troubling, and most people who support Israel support this position. The easiest way to tease out the racism from this very notion is to ask them to justify why Palestinians can't be unilaterally made citizens of Israel.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

quote:

The problem with your argument is that you assume that all criticism of Israel is somewhere on the anti-semitic spectrum

Nope, not even remotely.

quote:

As I said, there's a lot to criticize about their work but to smear it as anti-semitism is beyond the pale and has a chilling effect on the discussion.

The accusation isn't about Iraq ultimately, it's about their scheming Jewish cabal theorizing.

quote:

I said nothing of the sort.

That's what the post I was asked to respond to boiled down to. It's not strictly about the double standard, it's the double standard just happening to fall on the group that's been a scapegoat for 2,000 years. You're clearly off the rails with the "blood libel" garbage that wasn't remotely implied by anything outside of your imagination. You have to engage with the argument that people actually post, not some trash strawman argument that wasn't made here.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Panzeh posted:

A desire to engage in ethnic cleansing at some point is probably the most accurate term I could use for Israeli intentions in the Palestinian territory. When I presented the dictionary definition of ethnic cleansing to people who suggested that the inhabitants of Gaza and the West bank move, they just kinda shrugged. I don't recall which one it was, MIGF or hakimashou.

The very notion that you can occupy territory, then tell the inhabitants that they can neither be citizens of an independent country nor be citizens of Israel is rather troubling, and most people who support Israel support this position. The easiest way to tease out the racism from this very notion is to ask them to justify why Palestinians can't be unilaterally made citizens of Israel.

I don't think the majority of Israelis want to govern Palestinian majority areas. They want to:

Keep the 1948 borders, which the majority of Palestinians do not accept. This ultimately is why the conflict may not be solvable.
Keep the majority of Jewish-majority settlements, especially adjacent to the Green Line. The largest plurality would prefer to do this via negotiations and land swaps, but radicalization means that even Labor now increasingly supports unilateral disengagement and annexation. This may be solvable, but becomes less so by the day.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nope, not even remotely.

The accusation isn't about Iraq ultimately, it's about their scheming Jewish cabal theorizing.

Okay, I have their book, The Israel lobby and US Foreign policy, right here in front of me. If you're "not remotely" just throwing out blind accusations of anti-semitism to hide behind, what are the passages that you're critical of?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't think the majority of Israelis want to govern Palestinian majority areas. They want to:

Keep the 1948 borders, which the majority of Palestinians do not accept. This ultimately is why the conflict may not be solvable.

Actually there has been majority support for the peace process for a good long while amongst Palestinians. It's only in the last year or two that it's dipped below 50%, with the thousands killed in protective Edge following years of oppression with no progress seeing it decline to the high 40's due to the lack of belief that Israel is actually willing to engage in peace.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i would love to gently caress a lion

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I've seen reasonable arguments that the ongoing kerluffle about anti-Semitism in the UK's Labour party is really just a proxy for internal conflict between the leftists currently in control of the party and the moderates who have been trying desperately to unseat them for some time now. Controversial comments were dredged up, ranging from genuine unambiguous anti-Semitism to condemnation of Zionism to merely recognizing Palestinian political figures and organizations as eventual partners in the Middle East, and used as a pretext to draw Israeli figures and lobbyists into UK politics as reinforcements against the far-left figures in Labour. I don't know how true it is since I don't know UK politics, but it seems to make sense. Many of the comments that started this were genuinely concerning and showed real signs of anti-Semitism, but now that even the director of the Pears Institute for the Study of Anti-Semitism is being accused of "dismissing" anti-Semitism and having ties with "leftist" groups that are "critical of British Jewish institutions", I think it's fair to say the whole thing's escalated into nothing less than a witch-hunt.

Speaking of conflict between the left and the center-left, it's now been admitted by pretty much everyone except Herzog that Herzog was in talks to bring the Zionist Union into Netanyahu's government, which would have significantly shored up his currently-narrow majority. Netanyahu claims he broke off the talks when Herzog's corruption scandal broke, while the other leftist parties in the Zionist Union claim they refused to agree to it.

Once again, an IDF official suggesting that maybe people should be treated with dignity and humanity is met with outrage and accused of moral failings.

quote:

Former IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. (res.) Benny Gantz said on Tuesday ahead of Holocaust Memorial Day that the Jewish people's victory over the Nazis is measured by, among other things, the way in which Israel uses its force.

"We must use force when needed, and be humane when possible," Gantz said in a meeting with youth in Jerusalem.

The ex-Chief of Staff added that during 2014 Operation Protective Edge when the IDF defended Israel from a Hamas onslaught, his mother, a Holocaust survivor, told him that Israel must be humane and provide food provisions to Gaza residents, reports Reshet Bet.

Journalist and publicist Shimon Riklin responded critically to Gantz's statements on Facebook.

"Good morning Benny Gantz. You said: 'Our victory over the Nazis is measured in the way that we use the force at our disposal,'" wrote Riklin. "It is saddening to see someone who was the Chief of Staff here speak this way."

"Because it doesn't matter with what intensity the IDF utilizes its force, it will never be like the army of the Nazis. Not even close," emphasized the journalist.

"It isn't even a comparison. And this statement proves that you take up the line of the paper Haaretz, that it is possible and appropriate to compare between Nazi Germany and the state of Israel in all sorts of subjects."

Riklin accused Gantz of committing a serious moral injustice, adding, "and besides Mr. Chief of Staff, we didn't defeat the Nazis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nope, not even remotely.

No, that's precisely what you're arguing. Simply saying "nuh-uh" doesn't change the fact that your argument, that there is no line between criticism of a nation state/its policies/its ideology and bigotry towards a people but only a question of degrees, implies precisely that.

quote:

They made no accusations of a scheming Jewish cabal, they talked about a lobby. And you falsely smeared them as anti-semites while claiming that false accusations of anti-semitism aren't a problem.

quote:

It's not strictly about the double standard, it's the double standard just happening to fall on the group that's been a scapegoat for 2,000 years. You're clearly off the rails with the "blood libel" garbage that wasn't remotely implied by anything outside of your imagination.

Muslims have been stereotyped as vicious, bloodthirsty savages since the Crusades(around the time Medieval anti-semitism kicked into high gear). But I guess applying a double standard to Muslim countries such that an action which Western countries do without accusations of bigotry is considered proof of the pathologically violent and backwards nature of Muslim countries and their populaces is no big deal; it's not like Muslims have a long history of being colonized, massacred, exoticized and dehumanized by the West or anything. Nothing Islamophobic or racist about that, nosiree. And this caricature of Arabs as bloodthirsty, Jew-hating savages is actually very common in pro-Israel circles.

quote:

You have to engage with the argument that people actually post, not some trash strawman argument that wasn't made here.

My irony meter just broke. Are you willing to at least admit that specious accusations of anti-semitism are a serious problem considering you're evidently unable to name a single notable pro-Palestinian activist/writer who hasn't faced such false allegations?