Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Anyone know anything about international schools? Wife and I will probably be revisiting the idea of moving back to Korea to live in like 5 years, but may decide against it. It seems like they're all in Busan and Seoul. Does anyone know where to get a definitive list of them in the country? This is pretty much my biggest condition for ever moving back: I'd never send my kids to a public school in Korea after having seen them in action years ago. If I could afford the ~$20-50K/yr. it costs to send two kids to an international school in Korea, I'd totally do it, even though it sucks balls to pay that much. But I probably couldn't do it if I also had to pay for a house in Seoul/Busan. Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Don't make your wife and kids live in some shithole village with a bunch of rear end in a top hat 90 year olds the rest of the country is trying to forget. If you can't afford to do it right, don't come back.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

TreFitty posted:

Anyone know anything about international schools? Wife and I will probably be revisiting the idea of moving back to Korea to live in like 5 years, but may decide against it. It seems like they're all in Busan and Seoul. Does anyone know where to get a definitive list of them in the country? This is pretty much my biggest condition for ever moving back: I'd never send my kids to a public school in Korea after having seen them in action years ago. If I could afford the ~$20-50K/yr. it costs to send two kids to an international school in Korea, I'd totally do it, even though it sucks balls to pay that much. But I probably couldn't do it if I also had to pay for a house in Seoul/Busan. Ouch.

Jeju has a bunch of them aimed at Chinese foreign nationals, but iirc its mostly Koreans. In Seoul there's also special autonomous schools. who set their own curriculum and may be taught in English. Lastly, there are definitely international schools in other cities; they may not be as lauded as Yongsan International School.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Don't make your wife and kids live in some shithole village with a bunch of rear end in a top hat 90 year olds the rest of the country is trying to forget. If you can't afford to do it right, don't come back.
Well, I wouldn't be aiming for the countryside, either. But if it came down to needing to live in a MORE expensive place than where I am (Seoul versus Seattle) and having to pay a huge bill for school on top of it, then the move would be a no-go.

AmbientParadox posted:

Jeju has a bunch of them aimed at Chinese foreign nationals, but iirc its mostly Koreans. In Seoul there's also special autonomous schools. who set their own curriculum and may be taught in English. Lastly, there are definitely international schools in other cities; they may not be as lauded as Yongsan International School.
Jeju would be cool...just maybe not likely. Part of the reason for the move is just that the much much bigger side of the family is in Korea. My family is extremely small and half way across the country.

My problem with the search is that I can't search daum maps, google maps, or any single website. I guess I need to search "<city/province> international school" for all of the possible places to live. I found the international schools outside of the big cities are quite a bit cheaper, not just the cost of living. I think Geoje was a good one that I found, but that's again quite far.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
There is a Canadian run "international" school in Sokcho as well. http://www.siscanada.org/about-education-program-korea

I know almost nothing about it though, just that its reputation was well regarded.

International schools are more autonomous than 'normal' (ie religious) private schools in Korea. I work for a Seventh Day Adventist elementary school, and the majority of textbooks are public issue and we are subject to inspection and oversight by the local education office; something that international schools are not. This can be either a good or bad thing depending on your perspective and situation; but seeing how some hagwons have worked in the past: some oversight can be helpful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Busan International Foreign School is between Ulsan and Busan, and there's this one in Ulsan that a lot of the engineer kids go to. http://hyundaiforeignschool.com/

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Daegu has a bunch of international schools as well... I think most of the large cities do? I've not heard of any sort of index for them though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
International schools?

There's this http://www.cois.org/

there's another job seeking portal too. But the qualifications are kind of high (so is the pay)

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

dumb poo poo about schools

Added you to the food map. Post away!

Actually I plan on going to Japan/Jeju once my term ends in June, so it'll come in handy!

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Against all odds I found out through a friend I might be interviewing with an agency in Seoul for an internship. Any recommendations for Business Korean resources? My Korean is poo poo in general so I'm terrified but if I can wow them with some ~ biz lingo ~ maybe I'll be okay??

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

district 12 posted:

Against all odds I found out through a friend I might be interviewing with an agency in Seoul for an internship. Any recommendations for Business Korean resources? My Korean is poo poo in general so I'm terrified but if I can wow them with some ~ biz lingo ~ maybe I'll be okay??

우리 모두 조화를 위해 함께 일해야한다. 소주는 나의 어마 입니다. 독도 우리 땅!!!!

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
아 도와줘서 감사해요~

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

district 12 posted:

아 도와줘서 감사해요~

I actually have a list somewhere of not necessarily business related idioms I could send you

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
That would be awesome and super appreciated! My email is standby @ gmail.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

district 12 posted:

That would be awesome and super appreciated! My email is standby @ gmail.

sent, enjoy

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

TreFitty posted:

Wait a minute. TWO kids? Is this an announcement?!?!?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Public Information Officer (13 months Fixed Term Contract)

Kakao me if you got questions.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

DontAskKant posted:

I've heard awful stories from multiple people about Yeokgok from men and women, Suwon has its stories.

from a couple of weeks back but wait can you elaborate on Suwon? I'm staying there/ Osan for a month next year and all I'd heard about it is how boring it is.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Koramei posted:

from a couple of weeks back but wait can you elaborate on Suwon? I'm staying there/ Osan for a month next year and all I'd heard about it is how boring it is.

They were bored to death in Suwon.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

district 12 posted:

It's highly unlikely they are hiring you due to your Korean abilities.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

TreFitty posted:

I can tell you all about them. Korea is a hot mess right now for international schools because of the tax situation, poor financial planning, and lawsuits. It's not much better than the DoD schools. There are still some bright spots in terms of education, but they are few and far between.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Koramei posted:

Oh, Suwon just has a reputation for violence. I routinely walked past street domestic violence and child abuse. It's the only place I've been pushed off a bus or down the stairs. Crime stories of people getting raped and chopped up in a bath tub and police are were incompetent. Some Korean friends won't visit Suwon. In actuality... Don't be dumb and don't involve yourself in personal drama and it's fine. It's just a city like any other. It's just sort of a running joke that Suwon is full of criminals. Those Chinese Koreans you know how they like to eat people.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yum yum yum. I'm going to eat some goons.

And then die of food poisoning

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

caberham posted:

Yum yum yum. I'm going to eat some goons.

And then die of food poisoning
Make sure to eat goons alive.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Koramei posted:

Gotta be careful in Suwon or ull get bodied...

All joking aside, Suwon is fine. There's a number of goons who live or have lived in Suwon. And none of them are dead. I've been to Suwon a bunch of times and it's been okay for me. There's a p fantastic foreign restaurant hub near the subway station where you can have lots of cool Asian food ranging from Russian to Cambodian.

There's Sam Ryan's which is a nice bar thats open long hours. There's also the Big Chill which has regular bar trivia that some people in chat go to weekly.

Suwon's close enough to Seoul for you to easily get to say, Seoul city hall in maybe 1-2 hours.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I went to Suwon and I didn't die. Twice.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I was just at Suwon and neither me nor my sister in law were murdered.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Suwon's violent crimes are higher relative to other Korean cities, but compared to large cities in the US, or most anywhere else... eh. I think most of its reputation comes from a handful of high profile crimes from a while back, but it's true that a lot of Koreans will refuse to go there based on said reputation.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Yeah I lived in Suwon and it's fine; a satellite city of Seoul thats fairly large, has a mountain and a couple of nice parks. Takes about 40 mins to get to Gangnam and has a KTX. The bar scene as Ambientparadox said is pretty good for the foreign community and it just got a pro baseball team. I enjoyed living there and was a little sad to move away (though I am only like 20 minutes away now)

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

gingersmurf posted:

Wait a minute. TWO kids? Is this an announcement?!?!?
No, that's just the plan eventually :) Probably 2-3 years away.

JimBobDole posted:

I can tell you all about them. Korea is a hot mess right now for international schools because of the tax situation, poor financial planning, and lawsuits. It's not much better than the DoD schools. There are still some bright spots in terms of education, but they are few and far between.
Hmm, would you mind telling me some hints or a giant wall of text? PM or here - either way. I know little about either.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TreFitty posted:

No, that's just the plan eventually :) Probably 2-3 years away.
Hmm, would you mind telling me some hints or a giant wall of text? PM or here - either way. I know little about either.

Here, rather than PM, if that's cool. Might be interesting to a few people.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

and it just got a pro baseball team

BULLSHIT

Suwon Unicorns, never forget ;_;

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Here, rather than PM, if that's cool. Might be interesting to a few people.
Please do! At least that's my vote. I think it's relevant to the thread too...

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

nullscan posted:

BULLSHIT

Suwon Unicorns, never forget ;_;

They evolved into Wizards. Deal with it.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

AmbientParadox posted:

They evolved into Wizards. Deal with it.

No, they turned into the Heroes.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

oldman posted:

No, they turned into the Heroes.

Semantics. Wizards now occupy the den of Unicorns and Suwon is better off for it.

Besides, Heroes have such a dumb mascot.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

TreFitty posted:

Please do! At least that's my vote. I think it's relevant to the thread too...

All right, I'll give you a run down, but give me a place to start. What is essential for "international" education for you as a parent? I'll start there. Also, go ahead and check out the papers. There's crack down over local Korean students getting admitted to international schools and many schools are starting to sweat over enrollment next year. It used to be if the student got caught with forged documents, then only the parents got fined. Now schools are getting fined too. Busan and Seoul have the best programs, though you have decent schools on the outside of the cities proper. Daegu IS is probably the best bang for buck in Daegu but their program is very limited and all-American.

Two things to keep in mind: There are completing styles of international school and competing curriculum within. If you know what you want finding the school that works for your kids is pretty easy though not always cheap. Tuition in Korea is the highest I've seen outside of Beijing, and it makes sense when you see how much they are getting taxed. Expect it to increase.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

JimBobDole posted:

All right, I'll give you a run down, but give me a place to start. What is essential for "international" education for you as a parent? I'll start there. Also, go ahead and check out the papers. There's crack down over local Korean students getting admitted to international schools and many schools are starting to sweat over enrollment next year. It used to be if the student got caught with forged documents, then only the parents got fined. Now schools are getting fined too. Busan and Seoul have the best programs, though you have decent schools on the outside of the cities proper. Daegu IS is probably the best bang for buck in Daegu but their program is very limited and all-American.

Two things to keep in mind: There are completing styles of international school and competing curriculum within. If you know what you want finding the school that works for your kids is pretty easy though not always cheap. Tuition in Korea is the highest I've seen outside of Beijing, and it makes sense when you see how much they are getting taxed. Expect it to increase.
Well, my concern would be that I'd be doing my kids a disservice by being in Korea. One thing that I only learned in college and later in life is that your network really matters. So do things like being around people that are well-traveled, being exposed to different ways of thinking, etc. Plus, my first kid being completely American-looking (she's half Korean) seems like a bad idea in a regular public school...can't really put my finger on why exactly. My wife talked about students that aren't 100% Korean being picked on all the time and it became a closer subject to her world when her half-Vietnamese cousin started going to school and experience trouble over the years. I'm not sure what happens with a completely white kid...my wife hasn't said it, but this could be a reason that she isn't so excited about the prospect of moving back.

We may end up staying in America forever. That's not really decided yet, but I don't want to make the decision of whether to stay or go without knowing this rather key detail about a potential move. We may move very soon, though. The much much larger half of the family is in Korea and my very small family is stuck half way across the country from us in a place neither of us want to live (Texas).

The tuition price is a bit disheartening, especially considering the pricing of living in places with all of the international schools. I'm also a big fan of living outside of cities, no matter where I am in the world. Do you know of any that are good outside cities with a good cost of living?

Also, not sure I know or care much about curriculum. Do you have thoughts on that you can share?

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 2, 2016

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Time to cash in that prize money for winning Korea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
With the exchange rate being so lovely, he may very well turn a profit.