Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:worship: :tinfoil:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

how to cheer me up

https://vine.co/v/h57njxatKtZ/

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

"@DSHowell on Twitter posted:

9/14/14: Sold 500 edu copies of Air Display 2.

4/25/16: All 500 refunded.

No explanation, contact, or even customer name.

#DamnYouApple

This is a great response to the question "why don't you have any Apps of your own on the store"

EDIT:

:smithfrog:

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 1, 2016

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I don't get that air display thing, how can you get apps refunded like a year after the fact

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

https://twitter.com/DSHowell/status/726445859685040128

I have no idea how to get tweet embeds to work

Edit: Oh they're only broken in preview, thats awesome

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
maybe if his app had been good those schools would still be using ipads

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

whiny developers need to STFU. nobody cares about them and their use to apple extends only as far as they enhance their ecosystem

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ban cremnob :toot:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

keep putting developers on the pedestal

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cremnob is just salty because even his investor hero has acknowledged that apple is in a tailspin

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao no headphone jack. Are you serious. Who is stupid enough to buy a new phone and a bunch of adapters instead of just keeping a working one, or buying an Android phone that works without a pile of adapters.

Besides dumbasses with too much money and not enough sense, I mean

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

pretty soon everyone

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/28/intel-replace-headphone-jack-usb-c-audio/

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
an apple site posts a single slide hoping beyond hope apple will use a non proprietary port

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
my Sennheiser headphones have a detachable cord so I imagine they'll just release a compatible cord I can buy. sucks if your a fag with lovely headphones I guess

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

lmao no headphone jack. Are you serious.

there's still a chance that it's just an idiotic rumor

I mean they were saying that about every iPhone from the 4 up

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

my Sennheiser headphones have a detachable cord so I imagine they'll just release a compatible cord I can buy. sucks if your a fag with lovely headphones I guess

The reason I care about the headphone jack is because my car stereo doesn't support bluetooth and I'm not gonna drop a bunch of money either upgrading it or buying overpriced dongles because Lord Tim is desperate for cash and can't actually come up with a real product so he needs to license adapters for basic poo poo like 3.5mm or even things like 'have your phone plugged in and connected to a stereo at the same time

But anyway the last 3 or 4 iPhone models literally do everything you could possibly want them for so there's no reason to upgrade outside of vanity or Apple scams like retarded peripherals requiring a new phone for no reason

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the iPhone SE (Steve edition) has a headphone jack and is perfect so idk why this discussion is even a thing

just buy that one and be happy

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

cremnob posted:

pretty soon everyone

:pray:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

THC posted:

the iPhone SE (Steve edition) has a headphone jack and is perfect so idk why this discussion is even a thing

just buy that one and be happy

i love my beautiful silver iphone se. its fast and the battery is good.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Last Chance posted:

i love my beautiful silver iphone se. its fast and the battery is good.

ah yes the iPhone standard edition

I use it while driving my Suzuki Forenza

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

lmao no headphone jack. Are you serious. Who is stupid enough to buy a new phone and a bunch of adapters instead of just keeping a working one, or buying an Android phone that works without a pile of adapters.

Besides dumbasses with too much money and not enough sense, I mean

i agree 100% with removing the headphone jack and just smh if your headphones dont have a detachable cable in 2016

but

the outcry when it happens is gonna be amazing i honestly cant wait to see millions of people lose their poo poo at the same time. think apple maps antennagate and 30-pin-to-lightning combined times over 9000

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

The reason I care about the headphone jack is because my car stereo doesn't support bluetooth and I'm not gonna drop a bunch of money either upgrading it or buying overpriced dongles because Lord Tim is desperate for cash and can't actually come up with a real product so he needs to license adapters for basic poo poo like 3.5mm or even things like 'have your phone plugged in and connected to a stereo at the same time

actually you will hope this helps

the headphone jack is gonna die whether you want it or not

its gonna be like flash and removable batteries and the rest of the nerd poo poo

the android badphones will keep it for like 2 years and make some populist marketing about it and then drop it too

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't think it'll be as simple as changing out the cable. you'll need a dac of some kind in between the Lightning port and the 'phones

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hopefully they bring out a tiny dongle but I have a feeling they will just release a lightning version of every beats headphone with integrated dac and you'll have to buy one of those or some lovely rear end third party dac unit

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

THC posted:

I don't think it'll be as simple as changing out the cable. you'll need a dac of some kind in between the Lightning port and the 'phones

why? You can put out high frequency digital pulses on any of the pins and use the headphones as a low pass filter without ever having to use a DAC. or you could just repurpose 4 pins to do balanced channels with regular audio signals on them. That is a seriously trivial issue

or 3 pins for regular 3.5mm unbalanced audio

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
or you could use Bluetooth headphones.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gotta sell them battery cases

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

zen death robot posted:

so would just keeping the headphone jack that's worked just fine for decades and realizing that absolutely no one gives a poo poo or really even wants a phone that's .03mm thinner anymore

i mean technically you can get better audio quality out of 4pins running a balanced connection but that is not going to be relevant to earbuds so idk why they are replacing it. I'm sure it makes board layout a lot easier

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the connector is supposed to be "all digital" so I don't think they'll be sending any analog signals over those pins. but I guess they own it so they can do whatever and break their own spec

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if they can the 3.5 jack and make the bump even more stupid my next phone is gonna be a nexus or windows phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

zen death robot posted:

hell if the renders are at all accurate the camera bump is gonna stick out even further so what the hell is the point? just make the whole phone that thick and use the space for battery

• Locked thread