Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps, we need to pay this informant.

Sorry, I don't pay informants that make me go to them

E. 4 years ago, Labour did well in local elections. Little did they know how bad this would be for Corbyn...

Namtab fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As one of the few authentically working class officers on this force...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"I've been interrogating the prisoner for a good solid hour, chief."

"Has he confessed?"

"No, but I've determined to my satisfaction that I'm definitely better and smarter than he is."

"Where's your partner?"

"He was behind the mirror. He had to listen to all of it. He shot himself after about fifteen minutes, chief."

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

"Actually I'm a constable so I shouldn't be working with a detective."
Constables can be detectives, Detective is not its own rank in UK police forces.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

*at the trial of the country's most notorious criminal, who may have FADP*

"Officer, could you state your name for the court?"
'Yes, I could'

*trial collapses after weeks of arguing and people resigning from the legal profession*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Semprini posted:

Constables can be detectives, Detective is not its own rank in UK police forces.

Trap... sprung?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, while everyone's talking about how much Jeremy Corbyn loves or hates the Jews, the Tories are planning on banning Strictly and Doctor Who from being shown on Saturday nights in the BBC Charter.

Of course, this will totally not cripple the BBC's creative output by putting their most popular shows on in the graveyard slots.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd be appalled but it's Doctor Who and Strictly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Steve2911 posted:

I'd be appalled but it's Doctor Who and Strictly.

its the bbc putting any show on at peak weekend times that might be popular

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
You didn't mention the worst part - they're not just banning them being shown on Saturday nights, they're banning them ever being scheduled against commercial rivals.

I forsee a nice job on ITV's board for John Whittingdale once he's done giving the hand of the free market a little help.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Is there anyway to directly send a message to Corbyn enlisting the Jewish Socalists to handle PR for them?

Or do I have to drive a semi into his office and give him the letter by hand.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

Is there anyway to directly send a message to Corbyn enlisting the Jewish Socalists to handle PR for them?

Or do I have to drive a semi into his office and give him the letter by hand.

Virtually facepalmed today when I saw that the reaction to Livingstone's massive mess was to send Diane Abbott in to sort everything out.

I mean I don't want Labour to go back to the Blair days but is borderline competent media management too much to ask?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Do you all not see the irony in you all derailing a thread for 2 pages by complaining about a poster derailing a thread?

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

You didn't mention the worst part - they're not just banning them being shown on Saturday nights, they're banning them ever being scheduled against commercial rivals.

I forsee a nice job on ITV's board for John Whittingdale once he's done giving the hand of the free market a little help.

Also this is about as blatant it can be that they want the BBC to fail.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

jabby posted:

Virtually facepalmed today when I saw that the reaction to Livingstone's massive mess was to send Diane Abbott in to sort everything out.

I mean I don't want Labour to go back to the Blair days but is borderline competent media management too much to ask?
She said Livingstone's comments were offensive but the party doesn't have an "antisemitism problem" and accusations that it does are politically motivated. What did she do wrong?

Fair play to her for not falling for the "when did you stop beating your wife?" loaded question bollocks they've been trying all week. I don't want a return to the Miliband days of issuing grovelling apologies for things we didn't do. Remember when we did that about Broon and the Poonds and now it's accepted truth that Labour caused a global recession?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

That'll be why I couldn't see it.

I'm not in London.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Insisting that people's favourite programs should be shown at awkward times doesn't look like a vote winner to me, I rather doubt they'll stick to that one.

(I also doubt that anyone's prime complaint about Pissflaps is that he causes thread derails.)

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...in-banners.html

hilter, but like in newspaper form posted:

Jeremy Corbyn has been accused of keeping 'controversial company' after marchers on the May Day rally were seen carrying Stalin banners.
The Labour leader, thought to be the first in 50 years to address the event, insisted his party was 'absolutely against' anti-Semitism and other forms of racism.
But Tories said the presence of communist marchers bearing flags with images of the Soviet dictator and quotes would have given the Jewish community 'no comfort at all'.
Josef Stalin sent hundreds of thousands of citizens, many of them Jews, to the deadly Gulag prison camps.

Mr Corbyn had been due to join the rally and speak at the end of the route in London's Trafalgar Square, but decided to make improptu address from a bus in Clerkenwell Green instead.
He argued that Labour's strength came from 'diversity', saying: 'We stand absolutely against anti-Semitism in any form.
‘We stand absolutely against racism in any form. We stand united as a Labour movement recognising our diversity.'
However, the Labour leader ignored questions from journalists about the crisis after his speech.
The intervention came as the anti-Semitism row escalated again with fresh warnings that Labour will be hammered by voters in elections this week for failing to deal with the issue.
Shadow Cabinet member Diane Abbott, a close ally of Mr Corbyn, risked further inflaming the situation by dismissing claims there is a problem as 'smears'.

Unite boss Len McCluskey also waded in to accuse Blairite MPs of 'manipulating' anti-Semitism concerns in a bid to unseat the leader.
But Israeli Ambassador Mark Regev urged Mr Corbyn to disown extremist groups such as Hamas - which he previously described as 'friends' - as he warned that the party appeared to be 'in denial'.
Mr Corbyn is facing growing demands to eject close ally Ken Livingstone immediately after he again refused to apologise for claiming Hitler was a 'Zionist'. It has emerged that the disciplinary case against the veteran left-winger may not even get under way until July.
The leader's critics are planning a media blitz against him next weekend if Labour crashes in Thursday's council polls.
The sight of Communist Party marchers carrying Stalin banners among the trade unions and other workers' group raised fresh questions.
Tory MP Andrew Bridgen said: 'The fact that Jeremy Corbyn is keeping such controversial company at his left-wing parade will give the Jewish community no comfort whatsoever.
'It will reinforce the concerns that Mr Corbyn has associations with all the wrong people.'

Fellow Conservative backbencher Stewart Jackson said: 'He is so far from the mainstream of political life that it is bound to bring contagion to the Labour Party.'
'This is a contagion of extreme left views that is alienating people across the United Kingdom.'
Another Tory, David Morris, said the fact Mr Corbyn was at the same events as such groups was 'bonkers'.
'These are not the kind of people serious politicians associate with,' he said.
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell was previously ridiculed for quoting Chairman Mao at George Osborne across the Commons despatch box.
Mr McDonnell jokingly cited the notorious dictator's words before passing a copy of the infamous 'Little Red Book' to Mr Osborne. He later acknowledged that the joke had backfired to an extent.

So Corbyn shows up to an over hundred year old public event where communists also show up. This makes Corbyn a Communist, because he was there. Even though he wasn't really anywhere near them, and didn't talk with them, or anything. This also makes him anti-semitic because (???)

There's a bit where they say it's "his" parade, even though it's older than him and has no labour party involvement in the organizing.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Renfield posted:

I'm not in London.

I'm not in London either, I'm in Essex. But Essex is more or less a suburb of London I guess :ms:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I've probly got a cookie set to Wales or something...

and what a weasley (apologies to weasles everywhere) bastard

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Just to copy-paste this from the Scotpol thread.

"LOLSNPWINS"

jabby posted:

Media competence is never labour's thing even when blairites do it.

Hence why the Jewish Socalists would be alright to handle this current issue. The media will have a difficult time trying to get a message of labour as antisemitisc across while a group of jewish representives on the behalf of the labour are explaining the differences between them. The media can't exactly label the Jewish Socalists as antisemitisc for explaining that poo poo, otherwise they just look stupid in return. I mean they can, but what else can we do?

The best way to deal with the media is to let them hit themselves with a loaded question or bait them into a trap where they start desepertly try to escape the situtation they got themselves into.

serious gaylord posted:

Also this is about as blatant it can be that they want the BBC to fail.

And they will get away with it too because of Ken livingston being a ultra loving stupid twat that should of died in a fire.

DON RAPER
Jan 1, 2011

Let me ask you something
what do women want?

serious gaylord posted:

Do you all not see the irony in you all derailing a thread for 2 pages by complaining about a poster derailing a thread?

The posts were actually amusing though

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

She said Livingstone's comments were offensive but the party doesn't have an "antisemitism problem" and accusations that it does are politically motivated. What did she do wrong?

Fair play to her for not falling for the "when did you stop beating your wife?" loaded question bollocks they've been trying all week. I don't want a return to the Miliband days of issuing grovelling apologies for things we didn't do. Remember when we did that about Broon and the Poonds and now it's accepted truth that Labour caused a global recession?

The idea that Labour doesn't have any kind of problem with anti-semitism appears at odds with their decision to launch an independent inquiry into it. It takes a delicate touch to reconcile those two ideas to the media, and Diane Abbott doesn't really have it. I'm not saying she said anything outrageous, but she comes across as confrontational and dismissive rather than appropriately concerned. The question 'Should Ken Livingstone apologise?' shouldn't really be answered with a laugh and the reply 'When have you ever known Ken to apologise for anything?'

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

HorseLord posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...in-banners.html

So Corbyn shows up to an over hundred year old public event where communists also show up. This makes Corbyn a Communist, because he was there. Even though he wasn't really anywhere near them, and didn't talk with them, or anything. This also makes him anti-semitic because (???)

There's a bit where they say it's "his" parade, even though it's older than him and has no labour party involvement in the organizing.

Isn't this the entire membership of the CPGB-ML in this picture? :haw:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Renfield posted:

I'm not in London.

There should be a little drop down box at the bottom of the page on iPlayer for you to change your region. And then hurriedly change it back after watching so that none of the London comes off on you.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 1, 2016

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
All of you complaining about Pissflaps are just anti-semantic.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

TinTower posted:

I hate how Stalinists use a cool emblem to further their goals.

Just like I hate how Nazis use the swastka to further their goals.

Corruption of symbolism. The worst type of symbolism.

Milotic posted:

All of you complaining about Pissflaps are just anti-semantic.

That explains why he isn't working class.

Hurr.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So has the cpgb always been a ussr-fetishising Stalin fanclub, or is that not a representative picture? Either way, uuuugghhh :ughh:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Renaissance Robot posted:

So has the cpgb always been a ussr-fetishising Stalin fanclub, or is that not a representative picture? Either way, uuuugghhh :ughh:

That's the CPGB-ML not the CPGB

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Cerv posted:

The Communist Party of Great Britian Minor Leauge?

Wow that's embarssing, being minor of a minor party.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

jabby posted:

The idea that Labour doesn't have any kind of problem with anti-semitism appears at odds with their decision to launch an independent inquiry into it. It takes a delicate touch to reconcile those two ideas to the media, and Diane Abbott doesn't really have it. I'm not saying she said anything outrageous, but she comes across as confrontational and dismissive rather than appropriately concerned. The question 'Should Ken Livingstone apologise?' shouldn't really be answered with a laugh and the reply 'When have you ever known Ken to apologise for anything?'

The more I think about the inquiry the more it seems like a bad idea, though I don't know what other token gesture they could have made. If that Heil article is anything to go by, 'why isn't Corbyn going back in time to launch it before Ken even opened his mouth' is going to be the new talking point. When it reports, it's either going to be 'LABOUR ADMITS IT HATES JEWS' or 'LABOUR IN ANTISEMITISM WHITEWASH'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Extreme0 posted:

The Communist Party of Great Britian Minor Leauge?

Wow that's embarssing, being minor of a minor party.
Marxist-Leninist. Although they seem to court Stalinism a lot. Maybe they should be the CPGB-HL.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Cerv posted:

Splitters !

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

The trouble is there are two separate questions being conflated here, "is there a streak of antisemitism within the Labour party" and "does Labour have a problem on the subject of antisemitism". The latter's tautologically true, there's a problem because it's being pushed as the big story of the moment, Corbyn and Labour's enemies have pounced on the narrative, so Labour need to be seen to be addressing the possibility. Which is why they're doing an inquiry, to make sure and deal with anything that does come up

At the same time, they need to be careful that they don't appear to admit to these accusations, and basically confirm all the insinuations and attacks. If people are saying 'Labour is extremist and racist' and Labour's only response is 'we're launching a full investigation to root out this racism' then it's basically copping to it. So it's not really surprising that they have people strongly denying it, dismissing it, treating it as 'Livingstone fucks up again' etc. They need to stand their ground or it'll look like a coverup that's been exposed

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Marxist-Leninist. Although they seem to court Stalinism a lot. Maybe they should be the CPGB-HL.

Right so that validates my statement on them being the minor leauge then.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

jabby posted:

The mistake is launching the inquiry. An independent inquiry legitimizes the narrative that Labour is riven with antisemitism. It's nonsense, everyone who isn't a moron or a Tory activist knows it's nonsense, so the party should have called it nonsense, point to the swift suspension of one of it's highest-profile figures and close personal friend of the leader as proof of the lack of a problem, and then moved on. There is nothing to gain from engaging with a hostile media who have already decided on the narrative.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

That's not the CPGB in the picture because that party dissolved in 1991.

But actually yes they were

The CPGB, like basically every early 20th century Communist Party was founded in direct response to the October Revolution, and it's ideological heritage is Marxism-Leninism which is from the USSR. They never pretended to be anything else.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

baka kaba posted:

The trouble is there are two separate questions being conflated here, "is there a streak of antisemitism within the Labour party" and "does Labour have a problem on the subject of antisemitism". The latter's tautologically true, there's a problem because it's being pushed as the big story of the moment, Corbyn and Labour's enemies have pounced on the narrative, so Labour need to be seen to be addressing the possibility. Which is why they're doing an inquiry, to make sure and deal with anything that does come up

At the same time, they need to be careful that they don't appear to admit to these accusations, and basically confirm all the insinuations and attacks. If people are saying 'Labour is extremist and racist' and Labour's only response is 'we're launching a full investigation to root out this racism' then it's basically copping to it. So it's not really surprising that they have people strongly denying it, dismissing it, treating it as 'Livingstone fucks up again' etc. They need to stand their ground or it'll look like a coverup that's been exposed

The problem with insisting there's no problem is that quite a few Labour MPs are gleefully admitting there's a huge problem. It's very hard to try and paint this as a political smear when the calls for action are coming from within the party, even though most of us know they are being made for political ends too. The leadership has to be seen to take some action, but at the same time trying to avoid the narrative forming that Labour are an anti-semitic party. That's what I meant by this being a careful balancing act. The recent Jewish Socialists press release is a masterful example of reconciling this, Diane Abott's interview was not.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

TinTower posted:

HorseLord which one is you?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/622313626641276932

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

StoneOfShame posted:

HorseLord which one is you?

I'm offended by the accusation. Do you really think I'm the sort of person who'd willingly visit London? Not on your life.

• Locked thread