Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

The best team In England will not win the Premier League.

It’s a difficult thing to pin down, which English team is better than the rest. That’s because the defining characteristic of this remarkable season has been complete chaos.

Usually, the points table is as definitive of a statement about top-to-bottom quality and consistency as there is in sports. The best team, usually armed with the league’s best roster of players, will more often than not have its superiority slowly but surely borne out in the results of the 38 fixtures that make up the EPL calendar.

Yet it feels like this is not quite the case this season, when Leicester City have sat atop the league for so long, outlasting everyone’s belief that their carriage would turn back into a pumpkin eventually, now only needing three points from three games to become champions of England for the first time in the club’s 132 year history.

quote:

It’s quite easy to make the case that Tottenham are the best team in England this season over Leicester, in spite of the seven-point gap that separates them in the table. (Or, looked at another way, it’s easier to imagine Spurs fighting for one of the league’s top spots next season than it is Leicester, even if the Foxes were to retain all their players.) Tottenham’s Big Three (Kane, Alli, and either Dembélé or Eriksen) at the very least stands right up against Leicester’s; everywhere else, Tottenham are better. Tottenham’s top-level stats are better (they’ve scored more and conceded fewer), their underlying ones are considerably better, they have been observably more dominant, and yet, they almost certainly will not be winning the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The table doesn't lie imo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

points seems like the most important "top level" stat imo

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

That is the logic of the mentally deficient. Probably a Gooner, then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The best team always wins the title, that's how competition works.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Points?

Pfft get out of here with your advanced stats

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

XBenedict posted:

That is the logic of the mentally deficient. Probably a Gooner, then.

"hmmm yes Spurs are better"--an Arsenal fan

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

"hmmm yes Spurs are better"--an Arsenal fan

--an Arsenal fan trying to add weight to his lovely hypothesis

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

quote:

Tottenham’s Big Three (Kane, Alli, and either Dembélé or Eriksen)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

:laffo:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

This is bad. Also poor Alderweireld

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://instagram.com/p/BEuRxZUDNAN/

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

:agreed:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/726505298349813760
https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/726508864011522048

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Size the day

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Whatever the style, you have to be smart and decisive. I personally despise mindless hoofball with a low success rate. I also despise conservative possessive football that refuses to take risky passes or capitalize on space. Nothing draws my ire than a counter attack with a selfish player that tries to beat 3 defenders at once.
I'm a believer of Total Football that admired Wengers vision. I'm not English nor do I believe in English style of football (when Scotland dominated football with short passing in the beginning). Ban me from this sub if you want, but the reasons I listed above is why I'm an Arsenal fan.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Someone on Reddit has come up with a mathematical formula to determine the "bigness" of English clubs

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

trem_two posted:

Someone on Reddit has come up with a mathematical formula to determine the "bigness" of English clubs

oh my god

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

trem_two posted:

Do you have a link to the thread?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

blue footed boobie posted:

Do you have a link to the thread?

Oh, sure https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/4hainm/i_made_an_equation_to_give_a_value_for_the/

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

trem_two posted:

can't argue w that tbh

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

trem_two posted:

Hmmm Chelsea's comes out 14.88

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Hmmm Chelsea's comes out 14.88

They're definitely going to massacre Spurs tomorrow then.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I like how the attendance is specifically divided by 51,402.

EDIT: "The last three terms are each teams value divided by the highest value of any team and multiplied by an arbitrary number" :laffo:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 2, 2016

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Sums it up, really.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I like how the attendance is specifically divided by 51,402.

EDIT: "The last three terms are each teams value divided by the highest value of any team and multiplied by an arbitrary number" :laffo:

where the heck does 51,402 come from?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I thought maybe mean stadium capacity, but it's nowhere near that high.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

be nice wicka posted:

where the heck does 51,402 come from?

Highest attendance out of anyone I think

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Highest attendance out of anyone I think

surely united's average attendance is considerably higher

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Crazy Ted posted:

advancedstats.txt

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
So stupid. It can't be an "upset" this monumental when it has been apparent for weeks they were EPL contenders. There's no significance to this other than winning the season. A great accomplishment, to be sure. But the US hockey victory over the Soviets was a one-off implausibility that occurred during the Cold War years when Americans were hostage in Iran. Leicester winning is evidence of how the EPL -- see Man City -- is changing. That's all.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
I’m a Man U fan but for some reason I’m up at 4.30am in this part of the world called Zimbabwe. And I’m finding it rather impossible not to be happy for Leicester.

I feel Leicester’s story proves just how much everyone loves a good fairytale ending. I could compare Leicester’s triumph to that moment when Anna managed to thaw queen Elsa’s frozen heart, by getting her to believe in love again: marvellous!

Well done Leicester for being our modern-day fairytale.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/comments/1a08jn/daylight_savings_time_has_me_confused/

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

:lol:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

*i hope this is clear. I've had a bit too much double IPA to manage the iPhone keyboard as effectively as I'd like

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

*kisses fingers* you couldn't write a better fakepost

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Most importantly, is it bad for business?

The English Premier League is arguably the most televised sporting league on the planet, with fans and fanatics sitting in front of TVs and large screens all over the place – from Manila to Manhattan, from Bangalore to Bangassou - screaming their lungs out for their favourite teams as they battle it out in far-away England.

Even those with only a passing knowledge of the EPL, and indeed Football - even the kinds that sneer at the rest of us for addressing our favourite teams as “us” and “we” (What? Are you from Manchester? “We played poorly it seems”! Humph!) - would still have heard about the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and maybe even Manchester City.

And all of these fans, fanatics, casual viewers and virulent haters - after taking a cursory glance at the EPL table - have been asking the same question for quite some time now. Who in bloody hell are these guys on the top of the table?

That’s not good for business.

You don’t sell out stadiums in China and the United States with unknown names - TV networks don’t shell out millions of dollars to obtain Champions League distribution rights so that they can show Genk vs. BATE Borisov (or in this case Leicester vs. anybody).

As Charles Stillitano, a US sports executive (Chairman of event promoter Relevent Sports and whose brainchild is the International Champions Cup) said “Let’s call it the money pot created by soccer and the fandom around the world. Who has had more of an integral role, Manchester United or Leicester... Leicester City have no place in the Champions League”

The fact remains that Leicester are still a big bunch of unknowns and no one in Dar-es-salaam, Colombo, Suva or Miami is going to shell out big bucks to buy a Leicester City t-shirt, or a Foxes imprinted pair of track-pants.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Humph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

meanwhile mahrez shirts are being bought en masse in northern africa and god knows where else