Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Internet Kraken posted:

The scythe comes from Priscilla, as is stated by the description of the miracle version you get of it.

I thought the scythe was kinda from her? I believe the description states that it's a memory of Gwyndolin's or something along those lines, not that it's directly hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ability scores are stupid.

:gb2tgd:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

armor is dumb and for lame dorks:proof:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mazerunner posted:

Probably Rosaria's, actually. Very slightly faster and a bit safer. Or untended graves but that's late game. Hmmm. Or actually if you start at the Chapel bonfire at the cathedral, and take the first shortcut, but then go back outside there's two wardens there, but that's sort of a long run.

Untended Graves is absolutely the best spot since there's 2 wardens directly ahead from the first bonfire. If you're stuck with the Cathedral... there's options but none of them are super quick. From Rosaria's across the ledges and out the shortcut door to the graveyard is probably quick but it may also be pretty quick to go from the Chapel bonfire past the maggot beasts and climb the ladder up into the graveyard.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I heard that longswords are pretty baller but I wanna try some others, too. Are bastard swords as good? Also, I want the claymore :getin: Gotta go find all the sweet weapons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm having a lot of fun using the Lothric Knight Spear - seriously, that thing has some serious loving range to it - but it only has poke attacks, which is obviously a bit limited against groups, and really vulnerable to parrying in PVP. I'm tempted to use a longsword as my secondary weapon and keep people off-guard, but it seems a bit dull. Anyone got ideas for something interesting?

Want to try a Faith build, but magic lacks the oomph and crunch of melee fighting.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Decrepus posted:

Alt F4 if you get invaded.

Good tip.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Ruggington posted:

souls threads are dumb and for lame dorks:proof:

ftfy

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Decrepus posted:

Alt F4 if you get invaded.

Step 2: cry about it on the forum of your choice

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I live in constant fear over dying in a videogame and do anything to avoid it. The thought of seeing "You Died" on my screen is enough to send me into a panicked fit.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Thank you, Krinkle, for mentioning a luck build with Anri's sword and a million Carthus Rogues, this poo poo is insane

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tracula posted:

I thought the scythe was kinda from her? I believe the description states that it's a memory of Gwyndolin's or something along those lines, not that it's directly hers.

the miracle is literally called Lifehunt Scythe, which is the exact name of the weapon crafted from Priscilla's soul in DS1. I think this connection was meant to be quite unambiguous: as Aldrich digested Gwyndolin, he saw a vision from the Dark Sun's mind of Priscilla hiding in the painting, and went to go eat her too (or possibly got his lacky Sulyvahn to fetch her, since by that point Aldrich might not have been able to reach her in his slimy state.

Additionally, there is still a very big piece of evidence to support the idea that Aldrich ate Nito, since Aldrich's boss theme sounds like an amalgamation of Gwyndolin's and Nito's themes. Structurally, Aldrich is part Gwyndolin and part "bony soup" which could be a Nito connection as well.

I have no idea what to make of Yorshka other than that From needed a Covenant master for the Blades of the Darkmoon, which imo is a redundant covenant since we already have the blue sentinels.

kalel fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 1, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the miracle is literally called Lifehunt Scythe, which is the exact name of the weapon crafted from Priscilla's soul in DS1. I think this connection was meant to be quite unambiguous: as Aldrich digested Gwyndolin, he saw a vision from his mind of Priscilla hiding in the painting, and went to go eat her too (or possibly got his lacky Sulyvahn to fetch her, since by that point Aldrich might not have been able to reach her in his slimy state.

Additionally, there is still a very big piece of evidence to support the idea that Aldrich ate Nito, since Aldrich's boss theme sounds like an amalgamation of Gwyndolin's and Nito's themes. Structurally, Aldrich is part Gwyndolin and part "bony soup" which could be a Nito connection as well.

I have no idea what to make of Yorshka other than that From needed a Covenant master for the Blades of the Darkmoon, which imo is a redundant covenant since we already have the blue sentinels.

It says he had dreams of her and that she's safe, so no, you are wrong. And even then, the painting is gone, so he would have no way to get there even if he did know where she was.

Speaking of lore, is there... anything, anything to explain Andre's continued presence? I cannot find a single bit of information on the guy in the game except for his hammer which pretty much just says the same thing it said in DS1.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some secret technique to pulling off the jump for the firekeeper set? I feel like if I can do poo poo like the grand lance jump in DS2 I should be able to pull this off, but the platform is coated in graphite powder or something...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm having a lot of fun using the Lothric Knight Spear - seriously, that thing has some serious loving range to it - but it only has poke attacks, which is obviously a bit limited against groups, and really vulnerable to parrying in PVP. I'm tempted to use a longsword as my secondary weapon and keep people off-guard, but it seems a bit dull. Anyone got ideas for something interesting?

Curved sword, preferable one of the ones you can 2hand.

quote:

Want to try a Faith build, but magic lacks the oomph and crunch of melee fighting.

Go str/fth aiming for 50/30. Will let you use all of the utility spells to good effect, plus you'll get good use out of the Dragonslayer Greataxe, and you'll be able to use Morne's Hammer which is pretty good.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

She's also the covenant leader for the Blue Sentinels.

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there some secret technique to pulling off the jump for the firekeeper set? I feel like if I can do poo poo like the grand lance jump in DS2 I should be able to pull this off, but the platform is coated in graphite powder or something...

You want to land on the platform a bit below/to the left of the one the item is on. You'll always fall off of the one the item is on.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It says he had dreams of her and that she's safe, so no, you are wrong. And even then, the painting is gone, so he would have no way to get there even if he did know where she was.

Speaking of lore, is there... anything, anything to explain Andre's continued presence? I cannot find a single bit of information on the guy in the game except for his hammer which pretty much just says the same thing it said in DS1.

"Safe"?

quote:

Miracle of Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.

Steals HP of foes using an illusory scythe.

Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding.

e: I was half-hoping for Andre to disappear completely after you kill the Nameless King

kalel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 1, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yorshka is just filling the cute giant woman/girl with some kind of monstrous quality quota.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

vandalism posted:

Are bastard swords as good?
The bastard sword's stomp attack is hilarious if you can land it, but overall they're much harder to use so probably not

Well actually the DEX-based greatswords are really good but the two of em are either hard to upgrade or super late-game, respectively.

The Moon Monster posted:

I can kinda reliably get it if I just run off the platform in between the first and second brick. Don't need to jump either

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Genocyber posted:

Curved sword, preferable one of the ones you can 2hand.

Go str/fth aiming for 50/30. Will let you use all of the utility spells to good effect, plus you'll get good use out of the Dragonslayer Greataxe, and you'll be able to use Morne's Hammer which is pretty good.

Neat, thanks for those suggestions. I'll give them a shot.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

He's not considering any reading of that description that isn't completely literal.

That or he's never heard of sleepwalking.

Hint: If he can eat Gwyndolin while supposedly sleeping, what's stopping him from entering the Painted World again?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 1, 2016

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

CJacobs posted:

He's undead/unkindled and crawled out of his grave like you. Only, he decided that smithing is much more worthwhile than this linking fires bullshit.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

BombiTheZombie posted:

Holy gently caress, just tried invading as a finger. Host zooms around summoning phantom upon phantom, doesnt stop to fight or anything. Couldnt catch him no matter what and as i kept killing phantoms he just kept tossing them at me. After seven phantoms killed i just black crystalled out of there.

I just wish there was a limit or something. Make the game just go "Jesus you giant baby, six phantoms and you want more?" and kill the host.

I find it really funny that you and others get upset by this. You invaded someone's world. Do you expect them to not do everything they can to kill you or be a giant pain in the rear end?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

He's undead/unkindled and crawled out of his grave like you. Only, he decided that smithing is much more worthwhile than this linking fires bullshit.

and hes right

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

He's not considering any reading of that description that isn't completely literal.

That or he's never heard of sleepwalking.

Hint: If he can eat Gwyndolin while supposedly sleeping, what's stopping him from entering the Painted World again?

(I guess we're dispensing of spoiler tags?) It's established Aldrich eats living beings to gain their power. How else would he have obtained the scythe without having eaten the "pale girl in hiding"? It seems like From is being unambiguous here.

Vasler posted:

I find it really funny that you and others get upset by this. You invaded someone's world. Do you expect them to not do everything they can to kill you or be a giant pain in the rear end?

I broke into a guy's house and was extremely pissed that he shot me instead of letting me steal his poo poo

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Or you know he could've just ate the entire painting itself. Sure he prefers fleshy stuff but I can't imagine he's that picky.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

poptart_fairy posted:

If you can handle the stamina drain, I'd recommend the Carthus Curved Sword. It's really long and fast, which pairs pretty nicely with the Lothric Spear I'd reckon. Slightly less base damage than a regular Falchion, but the extra range makes up for it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Or you know he could've just ate the entire painting itself. Sure he prefers fleshy stuff but I can't imagine he's that picky.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Vasler posted:

Well you know, they could actually fight me? Maybe? Running around summoning phantoms implies they are probably by a bonfire (or a boss door I guess) so there's pretty little to lose if your souls are gonna get dumped right next to the bonfire or the boss door you're heading towards. Should I be upset at their behavior? Debatable. But I'm sure as hell gonna call them the spineless coward they are. :black101:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Irina of Carim's questline is so anticlimatic if done the "good" way. :confuoot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

That makes sense I guess.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I always assumed that the painting was just a portal to the world and not the world itself.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Man, you can almost see how frustrated invaders get when I smack them around with the whip.

80 damage a hit, but they just keep walking into it.

EDIT: Irina's whole gimmick is being a failed Fire Keeper. If you teach her enough miracles, she finally gets the gumption to succeed.

It's an actual success story!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Having to acquire a doll to get into Irithyll means that Aldritch definitely ate her peaceful world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess I should not be surprised that Dark Souls fans are so incredibly desperate for everything in their video game to be dark and grim that they refuse to take something at face value when there's no evidence saying not to do so

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Vasler posted:

i think its funny that the post you quoted literally says "I just wish there was a limit or something" and you interpret this as an attack on the host of the game

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tallgeese posted:

EDIT: Irina's whole gimmick is being a failed Fire Keeper. If you teach her enough miracles, she finally gets the gumption to succeed.

It's an actual success story!

Or you can have her teach you some dark miracles :smith:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well you know, they could actually fight me? Maybe? Running around summoning phantoms implies they are probably by a bonfire (or a boss door I guess) so there's pretty little to lose if your souls are gonna get dumped right next to the bonfire or the boss door you're heading towards. Should I be upset at their behavior? Debatable. But I'm sure as hell gonna call them the spineless coward they are. :black101:

Call it what you will - they're using the tools the game gave them so what difference does it make?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tracula posted:

Or you can have her teach you some dark miracles :smith:

Talk to her with Eygon's gauntlets on. :getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
by healing i more mean the more, quicker but less healing mechanic

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

I guess I should not be surprised that Dark Souls fans are so incredibly desperate for everything in their video game to be dark and grim that they refuse to take something at face value when there's no evidence saying not to do so

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that (some) Dark Souls fans are so incredibly lacking in reading comprehension that they can't tell a blatant euphemism when they see it.

Of course the item descriptions are completely literal, why look at this fine example:

quote:

Black dyed leather boots. Enables its wearer to hide in the shadows with silent finesse.

The wearer of this fine attire was admired by friends and enemies alike, for his skills were unmatched, and his heart was true as gold. As its new owner, you have quite the shoes to fill.

Come on man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the "Aldrich also ate X" theories are pretty dumb because you could say it about almost anything. It's pretty clearly stated who he ate from the descriptions (also, he's called "God-eater" in Japanese so using "Devourer of Gods" as proof that he ate multiple Gods is dumb), and if he ate someone as important as Nito there would be something to back it up.

As for Priscilla, there's several pieces of flavor text surrounding her and the Painted World and none speak of her being eaten. It's all stuff about wretched beings and heretical storytellers telling each other about this supposed safe haven for forlorn souls.

CJacobs posted:

This, too. Nerds in general are the worst at this (see: "Pokémon is set in a post-war setting", "The main character was dead the entire time", "There are monsters in this fantasy world because it's actually a post-apocalyptic setting and those are all MUTANTS" etc.)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 1, 2016