Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Smol posted:

What the hell do you use those programs for? I've always just used Mod Organizer or Fallout Mod Manager with Bethesda games. Haven't had the need to use any additional tools.
Making mods actually work together. The moment two mods edit the same thing (items and what equipment NPCs spawn with being the most common) only the last mod's changes get loaded. The problems this causes can range from minor discrepancies through missing functionality to game breaking issues.

TES5Edit, Wrye Bash and Mator Smash can all try to use some kind of logic to merge these entries together.

Threep fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Smol posted:

What the hell do you use those programs for? I've always just used Mod Organizer or Fallout Mod Manager with Bethesda games. Haven't had the need to use any additional tools.
You need additional tools to handle compatibility issues between mods. When two mods touch the same record, you'll only get the effects in your game of the one loaded last in your loadorder. To give a basic example: Let's say you have a mod A that adds a sweet beard to Elisif the Fair and a mod B that changes her outfit to a bikini. If mod B is loaded after mod A, you won't be seeing that sweet beard, only the bikini.

If you've been modding these games and think you never had to handle compatibility issues, then - unless you limited yourself to just a handful of mods that had no overlap - I can guarantee you that some poo poo was broken in your game. It could be something as harmless as a sword not showing up because the mod that added it to the leveled lists had its edits overwritten by another mod, but still.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 1, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Holy hell how has this not been released until now?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75296/

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

IAmTheRad posted:

My guide was more or less the exact same as Mator did for his tutorial video.

Wyre Mash for Oblivion was one click.

Mashed Patch and Bashed Patch is probably the optimal way for the average modder to get their overrides proper.

What does the "build from plugins" setting do?

IAmTheRad posted:

Technically speaking, you can go all insane and grab the auto bash tagging script for TES5Edit and go through each mod manually to add tags to them so that Mator Smash gets them done in a one-click "solution".

Don't do that.

In theory, this sounds like something Mator Smash could do as like a "start it up and then go make lunch" pre-processing step.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Smol posted:

I was actually going to see if I could link to a guide on this but others have answered it and surprisingly I can't actually find a simple guide on what a "non-conflicting override" is. The only good one is in a xEdit guide.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

GunnerJ posted:

What does the "build from plugins" setting do?

I have absolutely no idea. I basically just followed the video tutorial and wrote down what it said to do.

I do have an addendum to the smash guide. If a mod already has a bashed setting, use that instead of your custom tag.
When making your smashed patch, make sure every mod you want included is selected. This includes Skyrim.esm. Even if you have a mod that would be merged in a bashed patch, enable it. As long as it's not required as a master you can disable it after you make your smashed patch.

Remember, Mator Smash at this time is NOT recommended. Only use it if you're fine with things possibly breaking. The average modder will be fine with just a mashed patch and a bashed patch. Do not combine a Smashed patch with a bashed/mashed patch. The dynamic patches from SkyProc patches always get made after your mashed/bashed or smashed patch. And FNIS of course after your mods are all done.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah I actually managed to make a couple of patches with Mator Smash that caused CTD at the main menu. Gonna do a little digging later to figure out WTF.

In other news, a new version of CACO is out, and it fixes the vampire thing.

Edit: You gotta love a mod that has:
code:
- You can no longer harvest hearts, eyes, flesh, etc. from sleeping or unconscious NPCs.
alongside
code:
- Slight modification to tart mesh to increase the size and amount of filling in the tart.
in the changelog.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 1, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

IAmTheRad posted:

Technically speaking, you can go all insane and grab the auto bash tagging script for TES5Edit and go through each mod manually to add tags to them so that Mator Smash gets them done in a one-click "solution".

Don't do that.

Why would this be a bad idea, other than needing to redo it every time a new mod version gets published.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Why would this be a bad idea, other than needing to redo it every time a new mod version gets published.

It caused major instability to my game when I did it. Enough that I had to nuke the entire site from orbit and restart.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
My install runs fine and I did that.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I want to use Skytweak but it will overwrite changes made by any other mods with conflicting settings. The mod page says I can make Skytweak re-import the settings from the rest of my load order but I'm not sure exactly how to do this. The MCM page says I can do a full reset but I'm finding that makes no apparent difference on game reload. I might be doing something wrong with the FISS save system. Ayone know the correct procedure to get this fixed?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I was just about to venture into the 'Lost to the Ages' questline where you hunt for the Aetherium forge when I remembered there being a mod for adding aetherium weapons and armor. Looking at it in Mod Organizer, there seem to be 40 armor texture files that conflict with either Dwemer Spectres (related to dwarven sphere centurions) or Lost Wonders of Mzark (38 files in textures/armor/dwarvenpwr/). Do I need to be concerned about that? I'd also basically be installing the Aetherium weapon and armor mod right before entering Arkngthamz and I happen to already have one of the shards from just generally running around the world. Is that going to be a problem?

Edit: Huh not sure why I'm so worried about those few conflicts when there's tons of texture conflicts between all my mods. Seems that's normal and not a problem.
Edit edit: Dwemer spectres are good poo poo. Anything that adds more to Dwemer ruins that isn't goddamn Falmer is good poo poo in my book, but these spectres look especially great.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 2, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nothing to worry about, those mods use resources from Aetherium Arms and Armor, it's fine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Agents are GO! posted:

Nothing to worry about, those mods use resources from Aetherium Arms and Armor, it's fine.

Is the new OP thing still happening or?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Is the new OP thing still happening or?

The OP's creation is exactly analogous to the process of modding Skyrim.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Slowly but surely. I've been dealing with strep throat and some other issues. It'll happen before Scyantific plays Skyrim again, I'm almost certain.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!
Thanks to this thread I've just completely reinstalled Skyrim and added a load of mods, including realistic needs & diseases.

When installing RN&D, it asked whether I'd installed the unofficial Skyrim patch as well. I answered yes, but I found that it came up in red in the plugin list, saying that the unofficial patch was missing. Looking at the patch, I actually installed the Legendary unofficial patch rather than the separate ones. So I went back and reinstalled RN&D but left the USKP unticked.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is it better to stick with how I've done it, or should I install the separate unofficial patches and delete the Legendary one?

I installed Live Another Life as well, and started off as a beggar in Markarth. Witnessed the murder in the market square and followed the Cidnha Mine quest right up until the confrontation with Nepos the Nose. I got absolutely messed up when he and his servants ganged up on me (thanks to my low level and probably the combat patches I added :D ), so I ended up fleeing to Whiterun. Came back when I was strong enough to confront them, killed his servants but couldn't find him before I ended up in the mines. After I eventually escaped and left Markarth, he ambushed me by the stables and I had my revenge. I know it probably wasn't an intended twist on the quest progression, but I love this patch. :D

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Power_13 posted:

Thanks to this thread I've just completely reinstalled Skyrim and added a load of mods, including realistic needs & diseases.

When installing RN&D, it asked whether I'd installed the unofficial Skyrim patch as well. I answered yes, but I found that it came up in red in the plugin list, saying that the unofficial patch was missing. Looking at the patch, I actually installed the Legendary unofficial patch rather than the separate ones. So I went back and reinstalled RN&D but left the USKP unticked.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is it better to stick with how I've done it, or should I install the separate unofficial patches and delete the Legendary one?

RN&D had a version 2.0 that was relied on USLEEP a few months ago but it appears to have been taken down. Which is a shame because it was infinitely better. :sigh:

You should just swap to a different needs mod though. iNeed works fine and it's what I've been using.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!

Transmogrifier posted:

RN&D had a version 2.0 that was relied on USLEEP a few months ago but it appears to have been taken down. Which is a shame because it was infinitely better. :sigh:

You should just swap to a different needs mod though. iNeed works fine and it's what I've been using.

Cool, I'll give iNeed a try. Thanks :)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, iNeed owns. It's way less spergy than RND.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Something seems off about my lighting, not sure what might be the exact cause as I'm just picking this installation up after a long absence. Shadows look like crap even though i set the ini options to 4k, and the contrast seems wrong. I remember using CoT for a while, then more recently Purity, but they've both been uninstalled and this is on a new game. I'm using enboost, but that says graphics options are disabled so I don't know what.

First image is taken outside at like 2pm with the sun in front of my character, from behind it's basically just all shadow. Second one is in the race menu room where everything looks much more normal. Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: Okay I fixed the shadows based on a video I found, looks like raising the fov might have been causing that somehow. I think the contrast thing is due to eye adaptation in some way? Anyone know the best way to fix that?

Wow, now that I'm looking under the hood I've hosed up a lot of stuff here! Must have half assed it back when I switched from wrye bash to mod organizer. :downs:

Davoren fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 2, 2016

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa, what mod does that character creation? That's so much nicer than the default.

I also went ahead and started a whole new game this weekend, doing another total immersive style, and I just keep finding new fun mods to add that I didn't even know I needed. :allears: I love modding Skyrim.

edit: vv Thank you!

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 3, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Transmogrifier posted:

Whoa, what mod does that character creation? That's so much nicer than the default.

It's RaceMenu

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
What're the risks of using the race menu? Like- every time I've heard about using it post character creation, there's a chance that it'll... blow up the moon? or something?

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Sion posted:

What're the risks of using the race menu? Like- every time I've heard about using it post character creation, there's a chance that it'll... blow up the moon? or something?

In the past games it could mess up your stats and skills, but that no longer seems to be the case.
As long as you don't change your character's race on the go (which will break the vampire lord/werewolf scripts at very least), you should be fine.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

The character creation shot I posted above uses RaceMenu, as posted, but I'm also using ShowRaceMenu Alternative which claims to be much safer for your stats than using the console, and even claims to work if you're a vampire or werewolf, though I've never tested that. It gives you a power you can use to open the race menu, and it moves you to that room I'm standing in.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Okay. What's a cool and good armor retexture doodad?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm looking for a few specific mod effect someone here might have some insight into. I'm looking to a) be able to use the claw unarmed animations the beast races use (per character, not like going in and editing the whole race entries) and b) some kind of invisible/low vis option to be able to poison unarmed attacks. I've found a few battle claw and animal claw type mods, but both apply as armor slot items which I obviously can't poison.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Sion posted:

If you're talking about jazzing up vanilla stuff, can't go wrong with amidianborn.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24909/

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sion posted:

I've been using (sorta) this for a while: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/42360/

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/4hmdz3/what_is_going_on_with_wyrmstooth_and_its_author/

Pirating mods :lol:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mod Picker confirmed as paid mods of 2016.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

More proof that reddit is literally the garbage can of the Internet.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Mod Picker confirmed as paid mods of 2016.

well, I mean, they aren't wrong, its just a matter of who gives a poo poo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wyrmstooth guy appears to have deleted all traces of himself from the Internet. Weird.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

well, I mean, they aren't wrong, its just a matter of who gives a poo poo

Who isn't wrong about what...?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Crash Fixes also updated to V8, notably taking care of the save string count issue that was discovered recently.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The string count issue? like if you have enough saves to overflow the integer?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Who isn't wrong about what...?

reddit isn't wrong about it technically being pirating (assuming that you call downloading IP without the owners consent pirating)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This is one of those "technically not wrong but realistically nobody will care because it's a mod" type situations, I imagine

Not like I read Wyrmstooth's license to see exactly whether or not it's even true, because :effort:

• Locked thread