Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Mesmer is fun, Chronomancer is also fun.

Can't say I ever expected to tank when I rolled this class, but it's an interesting switch-up. Honestly it doesn't play that differently than DPS and alacrity buffing the raid, it just adds an additional layer of timing and managing your many, many sources of temporary invulnerability.

It is a fantastic class if you like pushing buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberN00ber
Oct 18, 2004

It's a sponge puck.

victrix posted:

This is entirely my fault, but holy poo poo the official forums are horrid. Judging by them the entire game is awful in every respect and every class is bad.

I'll resume never reading OFs again.

I just wanted some Ele build advice :ohdear:

This is the reason I have yet to buy HoT. All "new" content is not fun, not enough content for the money, and there is no viable build for any class for any content... this, according to the official forums of course.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If the official forums are the reason you're not getting HoT, you're being silly. Official forums are always complete garbage

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

UberN00ber posted:

according to the official forums of course.

So do you just not play any video game ever created?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I think I'll level a mesmer next. And by level I mean use Tomes and various XP boosts.

UberN00ber
Oct 18, 2004

It's a sponge puck.

treizebee posted:

So do you just not play any video game ever created?

I just usually don't read official forums. There aren't too many player created sites that actually have active forums for this particular game. Having said that gw2 is probably the last game is bought which was a few years ago.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

HoT is pretty alright in general, especially with the recent update which messed with some of the exp values. official forums aren't a good metric to go off of. personally, i'd look for it being on sale a little bit just because, but other than that it's a good addition and definitely adds some cool stuff.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Having shelled out that 15 bux a month subscription per account in mmo's before (i had many at once) a one time charge of 50 bux doesn't seem that bad to me.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

knowonecanknow posted:

Having shelled out that 15 bux a month subscription per account in mmo's before (i had many at once) a one time charge of 50 bux doesn't seem that bad to me.

The only reason i play guildwars at all is because it doesnt have a subscription cost; I play way to erratically to justify paying for game time. Heart of thorns was good in my books for the same reason

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So are you expected to be teleporting between the various zones for a level bracket all the time? I'm not looking for power leveling or anything because I want to play the various quests and stuff, but the zones seem to be structured with each heart quest being +1 level from the previous one, while it takes a few to level so you get behind pretty quick.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

So are you expected to be teleporting between the various zones for a level bracket all the time? I'm not looking for power leveling or anything because I want to play the various quests and stuff, but the zones seem to be structured with each heart quest being +1 level from the previous one, while it takes a few to level so you get behind pretty quick.

Yes. Go clear out all the zones matching your current level, and even the ones below - you will scale down but still receive relevant experience and loot.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Kessel posted:

Yes. Go clear out all the zones matching your current level, and even the ones below - you will scale down but still receive relevant experience and loot.

Zones slightly higher or any level lower are also fine.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Also if you're in either of the goon guilds, you should hit up the guild hall tavern and get the bonus experience buff. It adds a flat ten percent increase to all experience from all sources, which is a significant boost to how fast you level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good to know. I'm just waiting on getting authorized right now.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I know everyone else has probably had it for ten centuries, but I'm happy to gloat that I finally have a commander tag! Now I, too, can helplessly yell at people to co-operate with a tiny dorito on my head. All hail the Tarir post-patch megaloot.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I just figured out that Ebonhawke is a thing and it's pretty cool.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Hello. I am someone who hated thr launch of hot. I heard about how the new patch is better what is the thought of thid thread about the patch?

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Cyron posted:

Hello. I am someone who hated thr launch of hot. I heard about how the new patch is better what is the thought of thid thread about the patch?

come back

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cyron posted:

Hi I haven't played in two+ years and GW2 is a fun game that is fun, hope this helps your life choice

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Cyron posted:

I found it very much improved! There's no more "stick around for two hours to receive any rewards at the end" in the meta maps, they now throw loot at you non-stop and you can duck in and out a lot easier, 50% exp buff, WvW got a lot more popular and has a reward track, instant level-80 item and PVP map fixes mean I'd say come back. You don't lose anything by checking it out, after all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New patch is fantastic and probably what HoT should have been at launch. Come back and try it out!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

CLAM DOWN posted:

New patch is fantastic and probably what HoT should have been at launch. Come back and try it out!

I left the guild because i was salty about the xpack i wasn't thinking, time to rejoin.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cyron posted:

I left the guild because i was salty about the xpack i wasn't thinking, time to rejoin.

PM me ingame and I'll hook you up :wink:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

CLAM DOWN posted:

PM me ingame and I'll hook you up :wink:

what is your account name agian? my account is Visadin.1485.

i also have no clue what to play atm, i have a 80 everything but warrior, but my theif is my bank mule, my engi is my main but it seem like for engi it go condi or gtfo, i like ele and ranger but they need to get their class spec unlock and i hate the fact my plate classes are salads. oh and my mesmer is a rat turd.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 2, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cyron posted:

i also have no clue what to play atm, i have a 80 everything but warrior, but my theif is my bank mule, my engi is my main but it seem like for engi it go condi or gtfo, i like ele and ranger but they need to get their class spec unlock and i hate the fact my plate classes are salads. oh and my mesmer is a rat turd.

I invited you, welcome back dude!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you sure?
I don't really play right now (Black Desert is actually fun, somehow) and last time I played it was a billion XP just to get a vendor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Are you sure?
I don't really play right now (Black Desert is actually fun, somehow) and last time I played it was a billion XP just to get a vendor.

It's totally up to each of us but for me personally, this patch addressed a ton of my issues (not all, in fairness) with HoT and I'm really enjoying the game again :)

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Cyron posted:

For what it's worth, I have a Scrapper alt and he's fun as gently caress.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cyron posted:

poo poo I remember you, welcome back.

Sair
May 11, 2007

ceaselessfuture posted:

For what it's worth, I have a Scrapper alt and he's fun as gently caress.

Scrapper remains fun as hell.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Cyron posted:

cletus impersonator

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't come back to this game, it will suck you in again and make you want to level your masteries, and realize you need to do a bunch of poo poo to do so, and make another legendary, maybe even 2 and oh god please help. :qq:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah I hope they sell mastery points in the cash shop at some point. Please.

Merrill
Dec 30, 2008

Challenged by gravity
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Mastery is one of the things I still have issues with. Part of it is that I don't like adventures, and a lot of mastery points are locked behind doing adventures. I wish either:

1. It took fewer mastery points to level mastery overall, so you could pick and choose which content you actually like to do a little more or

2. That you unlocked mastery tracks by doing certain events (do the Tarir meta-event, unlock the Exalted track) and then leveled them purely through exp. Maybe a couple mastery points? But that brings me back to 1.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oddly enough, Dragon's Stand has a boatload of mastery points that are fairly trivial to get. Most of them amount to "do each path and the events on the way, and then win at the end." There's also stuff like the channelable points and strongboxes which are fun exploration things. That said, the points are still too grindy to get, considering that they're by far the limiting factor for me and not XP.

Central Tyria is even worse in that regard, considering so many are locked behind grinding out every LS2 cheevo.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

After doing HoT story and the adventures I had so many mastery points I didn't know what to do with them.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Spookyelectric posted:

Mesmer is fun, Chronomancer is also fun.

Can't say I ever expected to tank when I rolled this class, but it's an interesting switch-up. Honestly it doesn't play that differently than DPS and alacrity buffing the raid, it just adds an additional layer of timing and managing your many, many sources of temporary invulnerability.

It is a fantastic class if you like pushing buttons.

I just maxed mine out and holy hell it's amazing. With Duelist and the illusion on roll thing it melts HoT mobs instantly. My other two max-level dudes are DH and Herald so it's a really nice change of pace being able to melee anything without having to worry about getting instantly owned in Berserker gear.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Cyron posted:

my engi is my main but it seem like for engi it go condi or gtfo

Power Engineer is actually on par with Condition. It doesn't really break even on longer fights unless your group is putting up a lot of conditions already (Modified Ammunition is 2% damage per condition on your target), but as an added bonus this build doesn't use Grenade Kit, if your wrist was starting to hurt. You also don't lose as much damage as a condi engi from dropping a utility slot to help with breakbars or whatever.

The only class that really needs to run condi for raids is Necromancer, and it's not even that great but can exploit fight mechanics well (jagged horrors and transfers), while power Necromancer has a bunch of stellar design points like 'interrupting your autoattack chain is a DPS gain'.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schpyder posted:

Oddly enough, Dragon's Stand has a boatload of mastery points that are fairly trivial to get. Most of them amount to "do each path and the events on the way, and then win at the end." There's also stuff like the channelable points and strongboxes which are fun exploration things. That said, the points are still too grindy to get, considering that they're by far the limiting factor for me and not XP.

Central Tyria is even worse in that regard, considering so many are locked behind grinding out every LS2 cheevo.

That's weird, XP is by far my limiting factor, I have a ton of spare mastery points saved up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's weird, XP is by far my limiting factor, I have a ton of spare mastery points saved up :(

yeah this was me too, i was (and am) swimming in excess points because obtaining them involves playing through the expansion content, which is... what i paid for

to be drastically short on mastery points someone would have to completely ignore the story (which grants like 8 points), every adventure (silver on everything is easy and will get you at least 12 points; gold on some of the easier adventures will score you up to 20), and probably the entirety of dragon's stand which has so many things that throw points at you i can't count them

this isn't even going into the other zones' points, or the strongboxes, or the mastery insights

central tyria points are rarer but if you ignore legendary crafting you're not missing out on anything

• Locked thread