Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

InediblePenguin posted:

believe it or not there are places in the world where there isn't a local co-op selling bulk spices; I've lived in several

e: I think those services are wasteful anyway ("instead of trying to find local alternatives i'll just have somebody literally put five marjoram leaves in an envelope on a loving truck and drive it across the country to my house, and somehow this will make me feel better and less wasteful"??) but that specific point isn't super valid

I've lived in the "fewer than 200 people" butt zones and folk still managed to eat reasonably without paying for chopped onions to be parachuted in. And given the local flavor of those places I sincerely doubt they're Blue Apron's primary demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Pick posted:

I've lived in the "fewer than 200 people" butt zones and folk still managed to eat reasonably without paying for chopped onions to be parachuted in. And given the local flavor of those places I sincerely doubt they're Blue Apron's primary demo.

Well, if those folks want fries piled high, all I can say is God bless.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Meal-kit trends from Blue Apron and the like are horrible for a variety of reasons. It further divorces people from any sense of where there food comes from and how it is produced, allowing corporations to continue treating farmers, livestock, and the environment horribly while presenting neat and sanitary packages to the consumer. All the food is sent to a couple of distribution centres and each ingredient packaged individually in little plastic bags or foil, then shipped across the country to people's doors, using far more fuel and creating far more waste than the already grossly wasteful and fuel-guzzling grocery industry. It takes very basic, easy and generally freely available to learn skills (ie cooking) and makes them appear expensive and difficult, requiring the aid of a pricey intermediary to handle the challenging task of feeding yourself. It justifies a sense of entitled self-pity/congratulations: sure, people have been feeding themselves for thousands of years, but MY life is just so complicated and difficult.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I guess that's it, isn't it? It's not that you want to learn how to cook, because you'd make do with the ingredients you have access to (I'll admit food deserts do exist). The service broadcasts to everyone that:

A) Your life is just sooo busy, no wasted moments here!
B) Instead of eating terrible fast food, you're eating healthy
C) Not only healthy, but very fancy, since the marketing promises it so

It's a weird consumerist badge of honor to show off to your facebook friends.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the Blue Apron ads target rich 35 year olds in the tech industry

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

FFT posted:

calling a small place not many people know about a "hole in the wall" predates modern hipsterism by at least two centuries

what makes you think it's a passive-aggressive snipe? i've only ever heard it used endearingly.

It really comes across as condescending and patronizing when the bougie hipster types I mentioned before use it. And before you ask "what do you mean by hipster", it's the kind of person who'd buy artisinal "pork clouds". Count yourself lucky you've never known anyone like that, for real

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Planet Piss posted:

It really comes across as condescending and patronizing when the bougie hipster types I mentioned before use it. And before you ask "what do you mean by hipster", it's the kind of person who'd buy artisinal "pork clouds". Count yourself lucky you've never known anyone like that, for real

That's what I was picturing too. I live in a city where people petitioned to shut down low income housing because it would "ruin the horizon".

content:

*slurps seeds*

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cash crab posted:

*slurps $7 seeds*

FIFY

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Smoothies, for people who think chewing is too hard.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
God, just use a loving cup

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Blue Apron stuff is generally ridiculously expensive, but in massive swathes of the country, many of the ingredients simply aren't available locally. The variety seems nice, and it's super convenient. For people in major cities, it's very lazy, but for people in bumfuck Idaho, it might just be reasonable to get some variety.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

baquerd posted:

Blue Apron stuff is generally ridiculously expensive, but in massive swathes of the country, many of the ingredients simply aren't available locally. The variety seems nice, and it's super convenient. For people in major cities, it's very lazy, but for people in bumfuck Idaho, it might just be reasonable to get some variety.

idk how many people in bumfuck Idaho can afford it. America has no middle class and the non-coastal regions have "low cost of living" which means "low wages, also"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought those people ate soylent.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

I thought those people ate soylent.

They're to busy getting poisoned with heavy metals.

I want to submit soylent for this thread. Why the gently caress would you trust that idiot that made that stuff with a liquid that goes inside your body?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

They're to busy getting poisoned with heavy metals.

I want to submit soylent for this thread. Why the gently caress would you trust that idiot that made that stuff with a liquid that goes inside your body?

The man once took antibiotics to 'massacre' his gut bacteria so that he didn't have to poop for a water saving challenge where he drank a modified version of Soylent.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

baquerd posted:

Mu Zeta posted:

Blue Apron is Bad and the huge influx of food subscription services aimed at San Fran tech bros is Very Bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
After learning about the "bone broth" trend, I've decided to promote my new dietary panacea: eating nothing but washed, unenriched white rice.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Do you boil it?

Sorry, that was a silly question.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Uncooked rice. Just eat huge, heaping bowls full of it. Let the rice swell and burst your innards. A taste explosion. Sit there and grin, feeling your gut rupture, the pain mitigated by the fact you are a pioneer of foodgineering.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

So like people with money and usually pretty awful work/life balance.

So people are super intimidated by cooking and anything that gets more people into it is fine with me.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Planet Piss posted:

God, just use a loving cup

My old roommate once threw a party and she served punch and supplied cups. One of her guests brought a Mason jar in her purse and drank punch from that instead. She also would put the lid on the jar between drinks. It was very strange.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My old roommate once threw a party and she served punch and supplied cups. One of her guests brought a Mason jar in her purse and drank punch from that instead. She also would put the lid on the jar between drinks. It was very strange.

In my house growing up, mason jars were just called "glasses". The little ones were for stuff like orange juice at breakfast, and the big ones were for stuff like iced tea in the afternoon. I am genuinely mystified by the mason jar thing the last few years, though they make fine drinking vessels.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Mason jars are just fine for poo poo like OJ and tea. Also for anything that can be drunk up with a straw. Anything else is weird. I get mad as hell when places try to serve craft redneck drinks (like fake moonshine) from mason jars though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

Mason jars are just fine for poo poo like OJ and tea. Also for anything that can be drunk up with a straw. Anything else is weird. I get mad as hell when places try to serve craft redneck drinks (like fake moonshine) from mason jars though.

When you're 8, and it's an incredibly hot summer day, a big mason jar full of iced tea with a straw is incredibly your poo poo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

cheerfullydrab posted:

When you're 8, and it's an incredibly hot summer day, a big mason jar full of iced tea with a straw is incredibly your poo poo.

It could be in pretty much anything and it'd still be just as much incredibly your poo poo. There's nothing special about a mason jar beyond personal memories of drinking from them. If anything they are inferior to almost every other type of cup since they sweat so ridiculously much.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This is an anti-date rape drug strategy, fwiw.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

It could be in pretty much anything and it'd still be just as much incredibly your poo poo. There's nothing special about a mason jar beyond personal memories of drinking from them. If anything they are inferior to almost every other type of cup since they sweat so ridiculously much.

My point was more that, in the 2010's, mason jars are for cool adult cocktails, not for children drinking iced tea, and I can't precisely figure out when/how/why that happened.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cheerfullydrab posted:

In my house growing up, mason jars were just called "glasses". The little ones were for stuff like orange juice at breakfast, and the big ones were for stuff like iced tea in the afternoon. I am genuinely mystified by the mason jar thing the last few years, though they make fine drinking vessels.

Same, but the little jars were pimento cheese spread jars at one point. We still have them, they're older than me. I refuse to drink from them. Mason jars are fine though - sterilizing jars and canning is a weekly activity with my parents.

Though at Walmart the other day I saw....plastic mason jars?? With built in lids and straws? What is the point of that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

joshtothemaxx posted:

There's a burger place I like in Hell's Kitchen where they serve soft drinks in cans, but with a Mason jar with a straw to pour your drink into.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

baquerd posted:

If you're in a place where the only way you're getting ingredients is if they're stocked at the wal-mart, you're not gonna be able to afford Blue Apron. It's a service for city-dwelling techies, not the rural poor. If you're the rural rich, you get poo poo imported yourself or drive to farmer's markets.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When I was bumming around San Francisco, I went into a "upscale nerd toys" store just to check it out and, for a person who is generally at peace with life and in harmony with my surroundings, I've rarely been so angry in my life. Hey look, a kit to make the "useless box!" Boy howdy, that's great, take someone else's cute but dumb art idea and then mass market it. Tell your friends!! All your friends!!

And remember, because the kit has wires in it, it's for smart tech people like you and not the dumb poor people who of course have never seen a wire.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Planet Piss posted:

i mean sure i know people like that

but i don't hang out with them or listen to their advice on places to eat

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

It gets worse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Post poste posted:

This is an anti-date rape drug strategy, fwiw.

Oh gosh, I just thought she just wanted something with a lid on it. :ohdear:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Making wienerschnitzel or fried chicken with this would own

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cheerfullydrab posted:

My point was more that, in the 2010's, mason jars are for cool adult cocktails, not for children drinking iced tea, and I can't precisely figure out when/how/why that happened.

My parents have some mason jar cups with handles on them that are older than I am

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

This was a thing with the atkins(?) diet so you could have breaded food without the carbs. There's also pork floss which is an Asian thing that is sort of similar and actually tastes pretty good.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Smoothies, for people who think chewing is too hard.

go gently caress yourself, say nothing

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
The two dumplings in a tiny shopping cart is pretty loving funny.

• Locked thread