Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

We all know that the cool thing about Dark Souls is the way the story is multivalent and open to interpretation, so let's all argue forever about which insubstantial facts are the actually definitely true ones

Dark Souls 2 takes place before Dark Souls 1. DS2 Age of Fire ended at some point (possibly even by the DS2 PC) and Gwyn and Co simply rediscovered the flames that were left, the fading flames in the darkness the Fire Keeper mentions when you give her the eyes. Most artifacts come from some time before DS2 and we really have no clue how it all started.

The whole "it was us that slaughtered the dragons" thing is something Gwyn and Co. simply made up to justify their decadent aristocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

low level pvp is absolutely hosed

Anything that makes me long for Soul Memory is too much for me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the 4 kings get fragments of gwyn's lord soul, the others all have a full one to themselves iirc. there's nothing to imply that they'd get anything back later. I could see aldrich finding nito's corpse and eating it, but the game never says that and it also doesn't say that nito comes back to life so those would just be assumptions. having someone's lord soul does give you characteristics of the people that had it before, but that's also just a guess. there's nothing to go on for why aldrich has nito's stuff because the game never says anything about it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

skeletons, famously invented by Nito (dark souls 1, 2011)

Not just skeletons, dude! Also scythes, the color black and violins. The signs are all there man, open your eyes! Expand your minnnnd!

Speaking of theories, has anyone put any thought behind the "Irithyllians"? It's a preset in the character creator which has the "features of the old gods" (mainly really white skin like Gwyndolin) and children born like this are fated to be taken to the Boreal Valley. Maybe Yorshka was one of these kids, though it doesn't necessarily explain the tail.

e: though I assume they're just descendants of the gods who left Anor Londo back in the day. Gwynevere probably had a bunch of kids with Flann, and there were others mentioned too.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 1, 2016

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Domattee posted:

Dark Souls 2 takes place before Dark Souls 1. DS2 Age of Fire ended at some point (possibly even by the DS2 PC) and Gwyn and Co simply rediscovered the flames that were left, the fading flames in the darkness the Fire Keeper mentions when you give her the eyes. Most artifacts come from some time before DS2 and we really have no clue how it all started.

The whole "it was us that slaughtered the dragons" thing is something Gwyn and Co. simply made up to justify their decadent aristocracy.

That's what I like to see, there's the good stuff

Edit: Though I will say that my preferred readings are those which shove DS2 off to the dustbin of utter irrelevance rather than giving it central booking

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
anyone want to give me a hand with nameless king? ps4 level 115

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

net cafe scandal posted:

I dont get how the multiple damage types work, or at least, Im told that the numbers are deceptive since each damage type has to go through a separate layer of defense.

yeah this is it. it's hard to tell you what you should do because a weapon with three different damage types is typically not great because all three damage types get reduced 3 times before the final damage is applied, as opposed to a weapon with one big damage type only getting one type of damage reduction applied before damage. also raw is typically the best enchantment for spellcasters because it adds a good chunk of flat damage and then they can still cast greater magic weapon or lightning blade or whatever and they aren't likely to get great weapon scaling out of their attributes anyway. in DS3 if you enchant the weapon for lightning damage on most weapons it blocks you from also applying spell enchants or resins.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Irithyll seems like a really nice place to live when it's not in "evil mode", unlike most of the game. I assume these places were not overrun with monsters before the age of dark approacheth anyway.

Invasions have no risk and give almost no rewards, so I feel that the purpose has shifted away from "kill the host" to "annoy the host". Even making him waste some estus on me is a victory in my book.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Space Hamlet posted:

We all know that the cool thing about Dark Souls is the way the story is multivalent and open to interpretation, so let's all argue forever about which insubstantial facts are the actually definitely true ones

I mean, that's exactly how you see that there are multiple interpretations

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Brannock posted:

I mean, that's exactly how you see that there are multiple interpretations

Yes I like reading different interpretations I'm just poking fun at the "you must be stupid for not seeing it my way" goons

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Toriori posted:

anyone want to give me a hand with nameless king? ps4 level 115

you should use a password because summons disappear near instantaneously for nameless king

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was really hoping to see the throne of want just laying around smashed to pieces or something, but alas

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

I guess I should not be surprised that Dark Souls fans are so incredibly desperate for everything in their video game to be dark and grim that they refuse to take something at face value when there's no evidence saying not to do so

lmao what? Its loving Dark Souls dude, the worst reading of events is usually the correct one. It is not a happy place. Its more like you're desperate for your dragon waifu to not have been eaten by the goo man.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 2, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Manatee Cannon posted:

you should use a password because summons disappear near instantaneously for nameless king

yes. I'm asking and then if anyone's available we can set a password

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Finally finished. This one had a couple really fun bosses, but a lot of not very memorable or interesting areas and no really memorable monsters. Still had tons of fun. Probably won't play it nearly as much post-game as DS1 or 2.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

my interpretation of the story of the dark souls is that once upon a time, there was a series of large hitboxes that needed to be destroyed so that I could upgrade my halberd to +10

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

can anyone prove that gwynevere was an illusion? I mean it's not like it's outright stated or anything. perhaps she just has the ability to teleport when an arrow punctures her boob.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

homeless poster posted:

yeah this is it. it's hard to tell you what you should do because a weapon with three different damage types is typically not great because all three damage types get reduced 3 times before the final damage is applied, as opposed to a weapon with one big damage type only getting one type of damage reduction applied before damage. also raw is typically the best enchantment for spellcasters because it adds a good chunk of flat damage and then they can still cast greater magic weapon or lightning blade or whatever and they aren't likely to get great weapon scaling out of their attributes anyway. in DS3 if you enchant the weapon for lightning damage on most weapons it blocks you from also applying spell enchants or resins.

Oh ya I forgot about that. Raw it is then.. Ty.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

SciFiDownBeat posted:

can anyone prove that gwynevere was an illusion? I mean it's not like it's outright stated or anything. perhaps she just has the ability to teleport when an arrow punctures her boob.

the item description that says that she left and married flame god flan (poor flan, divorced in favor of ocerios) is probably saying what happens after you trigger her boob teleport! good call

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Aldrich didn't eat Nito. Nito is Aldrich. Ate Gwyndolin to get his power back.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

She's at least still there after you kill Gwyndolin

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

argondamn posted:

She's at least still there after you kill Gwyndolin

Illusory Walls also seem to hang around forever, so it might be that illusions don't need necessarily need maintaining.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gwynevere if you read this please marry me. You are a beautiful fearie and I will dote on you every day like any hollow should. I learned that you like large, and powerful souls and I actually have one despite my male pattern baldness and green shrek face.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao what? Its loving Dark Souls dude, the worst reading of events is usually the correct one. It is not a happy place. Its more like your desperate for your dragon waifu to not have been eaten by the goo man.

If people kill Priscilla in their own game, that is fine because in my game she is alive and my girlfriend, and game lore explicitly supports many worlds theory. If the sequel says she's dead, I can only shriek as my priors are stripped away

Though seriously I think I do lean on the alive side because life-hunt scythe being a spell says 'dead god dreaming' to me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mega lame that the only way to raise your Flower Points is tied to the mega lame stat attunement

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

to be honest if a piece of flan asked for my hand in marriage I would say yes in a heartbeat. eating a lot of flan would explain why gwynevere is so big as well.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RentACop posted:

If people kill Priscilla in their own game, that is fine because in my game she is alive and my girlfriend, and game lore explicitly supports many worlds theory. If the sequel says she's dead, I can only shriek as my priors are stripped away

Though seriously I think I do lean on the alive side because life-hunt scythe being a spell says 'dead god dreaming' to me

its ok cus you have yorshka who is also a half dragon pale being.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I killed her too

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think priscilla is probably alive because some item descriptions imply that aldrich dreamed of her but didn't find her, tho I can see why people think she's dead. maybe the dlc will go into the nito connection, but otherwise anything could be right because the game never mentions it at all

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
I know it was said a page or two ago as a joke, but I actually kinda do think it's not entirely crazy for Priscilla to just straight-up be Yorshka.

She's part-dragon, her chime says Gwyndolin gave her her name, and why else would Gwyndolin even be thinking about Priscilla as Aldrich eats him anyway? It's not entirely crazy that he could have at some point been like "Okay, this painting thing is getting kind of stupid when I'm the only god left anyway. Get out here, you're my sister now. Nobody questions what I say so it'll be fine." :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Uh, where does it say Yorshka is part dragon?

The painting is probably long gone so Priscilla is stuck/protected in an inaccessible parallel dimension.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My 2nd playthrough as a Cleric was going swimmingly, but now that thing on the bridge is repeatedly kicking my poo poo in. I don't remember that thing being that big of a problem before.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

RatHat posted:

^^^ Uh, where does it say Yorshka is part dragon?

The painting is probably long gone so Priscilla is stuck/protected in an inaccessible parallel dimension.

She has a dragon tail

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait, she does? Okay I guess she's gotta be either Priscilla or her daughter then.

EDIT: Her tower is also in the same location the building with Priscilla's painting was, and you find the Painting Guardian set in the tower.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

so sometimes you might think to yourself "hey I'll do a gimmick build of a cool character and do some low level pvp, spice some people's games up a bit"

sometimes your stats might look a little like this:

here's a hot tip on how to go about this whole business:

loving don't because this is what "low level" dark souls is now

http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/371.webm

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yorshka can't be Priscilla, because Priscilla doesn't have bizarre malformed baby arms.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

Wait, she does? Okay I guess she's gotta be either Priscilla or her daughter then.

EDIT: Her tower is also in the same location the building with Priscilla's painting was, and you find the Painting Guardian set in the tower.

She mentions crows and dragons if you say you can fly.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Babe Magnet posted:

so sometimes you might think to yourself "hey I'll do a gimmick build of a cool character and do some low level pvp, spice some people's games up a bit"

I just don't get hacking and making yourself invincible.. There's no actual real leaderboards or whatever to place. Do something amusing if you're gonna cheat in MP, christ.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

here's the real connection between yorshka and priscilla

I bet gwynevere asked gwyndolin what to name her daughter, and as the dark sun looked lovingly at his newborn niece he quietly whispered "yorshka" under his breath as he presented to her a gift of a small chime that he handcrafted

but nobody hears him and seath goes with "priscilla" because it sounds vaguely lizard-y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Im in the process of making a low level poison gimmick character.

It was a nice thought I guess.