Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Dusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Earth Materials final this morning

Satan my body is ready

App13
Dec 31, 2011

DownByTheWooter posted:

Earth Materials final this morning

Satan my body is ready

Mine is on Monday. I've lived a good life and my will is in order.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
So I'm a pubes breadth from getting into Drexel College of Medicine for the fall (all I need is a reasonable MCAT score, and the MCAT felt like it went pretty well). I have enough GI bill for one year, and DUCOM is unlimited yellow ribbon, so first year is paid. Now, for the second through fourth, they estimate ~85k/year of costs, so we're talking about $255k. I think that is likely enough to bring me back into the military. How bad could being an officer be compared to six years enlisted? I know O3E@6 makes a shitload more than an average resident.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea but you'll be back in the military

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

If you enlist then gently caress you. You're going to have it the worst being a fancy pants college kid.

Enlisted: clean toilets, clean parking lot, clean office, ask SGM
If he wants his trash taken out or vacuumed.

Officer: do power point. Do PowerPoint. Do power point. Show up at COs house for fun times that are mandatory, then go do PowerPoint.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if i'm being honest, I'd rather probably pick up cigarette butts all day over making stupid .ppts and the baack and forth on that poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
picture this bill, a slde with every soldier, and maybe we could highlight their status with a color code maybe green red and amber

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

picture this bill, a slde with every soldier, and maybe we could highlight their status with a color code maybe green red and amber

The cushiest officer jobs have enlisted people that actually make the powerpoints for them as well. They just have to brief it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Nice! posted:

The cushiest officer jobs have enlisted people that actually make the powerpoints for them as well. They just have to brief it.

thats a good point too, just have the MSG sitting around in S3 with no actual job do it!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
for bonus points everytime you walk in S3, have said MSG try corner junior ncos and give them advice, or, counseling, on what they need to do to make it to the top

"YOU GOTTA ENROLL IN EXCELSIOR YOUNG SERGEANT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DEGREE THEN YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT IN THIS MANS ARMY"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

thats a good point too, just have the MSG sitting around in S3 with no actual job do it!

The last thing I want any E9 doing is touching a loving powerpoint for editing. At least on the navy side of the house, its usually an E5 doing it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what the gently caress sergeant you want to use MY copy machine?????????!? I hope you brought paper for that one copy you're making. now let me loving groan and bitch about something

edit: sorry thought this was the Army thread. i tend to go on tangents

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

what the gently caress sergeant you want to use MY copy machine?????????!? I hope you brought paper for that one copy you're making. now let me loving groan and bitch about something

edit: sorry thought this was the Army thread. i tend to go on tangents

No that type of poo poo was universal not just army.

So on some I'm a dumbass news - I've got a largish paper that's due monday. I had a rough draft a couple of months ago that I had to turn in. Rough draft was supposed to be 10-15 pages final 20-25. I only had 8 for my rough draft and was sweating because I'm at 13. I was worried about fluff and then I looked at the paper's guidelines. I was supposed to double space this motherfucker. My rough draft was actually longer than it needed to be and I'm currently almost already at the page cap. My day just got a lot better.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

If you enlist then gently caress you. You're going to have it the worst being a fancy pants college kid.

Enlisted: clean toilets, clean parking lot, clean office, ask SGM
If he wants his trash taken out or vacuumed.

Officer: do power point. Do PowerPoint. Do power point. Show up at COs house for fun times that are mandatory, then go do PowerPoint.

I think you guys misread my post. I'm not enlisting. I WAS enlisted for six years, and now am considering commissioning in exchange for somewhere north of $250k (probably close to 300 once you count in the current sign-on bonus of 20k) in tuition and ancillaries for medical school. I'd be a medical officer not a normal one, anyway.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 29, 2016

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Earth Materials final trip report:

well, I'm pretty sure I'll pass the class at least

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

TheQuietWilds posted:

I think you guys misread my post. I'm not enlisting. I WAS enlisted for six years, and now am considering commissioning in exchange for somewhere north of $250k (probably close to 300 once you count in the current sign-on bonus of 20k) in tuition and ancillaries for medical school. I'd be a medical officer not a normal one, anyway.

Med Corps is like the most watered-down version of the Army you could possibly get. Only downside is they've got you on the hook for like 12? years or so, including residency.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Med Corps is like the most watered-down version of the Army you could possibly get. Only downside is they've got you on the hook for like 12? years or so, including residency.

That's if you do USUHS, HPSP is 1 year for 1 year of the longest step. So if I do 3 years of medical school, plus three years of residency, I'd owe 3 more. I'll prob pick Navy over Army because half their residencies are in San Diego, and most (but not all) of their bases are in spots I wouldn't mind living (especially if you stay West, p much the only poo poo spot is 29 Palms).

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TheQuietWilds posted:

That's if you do USUHS, HPSP is 1 year for 1 year of the longest step. So if I do 3 years of medical school, plus three years of residency, I'd owe 3 more. I'll prob pick Navy over Army because half their residencies are in San Diego, and most (but not all) of their bases are in spots I wouldn't mind living (especially if you stay West, p much the only poo poo spot is 29 Palms).

I recall talking to an navy doc at length when I was getting discharged about how he liked the program and stuff. He was stationed at KingsBay submarine base and sounded like he hated life pretty bad.

Why go back for more when doctors can make.bank working in backwater hospitals anyway? Won't you most likely end up with the same kind of situation in terms of going where you're told / where the money takes you but now you deal with dependappotami instead of Medicaid recipients?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you want to do medical consider the Public Health Service. All the benefits of being military without ANY of the madness associated with being in an armed service.

Downsides are that it's rather hard to get into, since you're mostly responsible for your career and have to like, find a billet and interview and poo poo. But they're a small, close-knit community of medical officers and literally nothing else.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Next slide please. Thank you private Smith.

Sir, this is the next slide of your Commander's Daily Update Assessment Brief for the morning meeting. On this slide you will see platoon readiness categorized by mandatory trainings, to include EO and COO, as well as the brigade-wide certifications you created for us in the Iron Brigade, sir. You can see that all platoons are gold-plus certified in Iron Excellence, Iron Volunteering, Iron Professionalism, and Iron Heart. Additionally, all platoons are gold-average certified in marksmanship, the 10-mile ruck, combat lifesaver, and other mission critical tasks which we have failed to certify to the gold-plus level, the Iron Standard, due to your guidance that Iron Brigade certifications take priority during the duty day. Because of this failure to achieve the gold-plus standard, I hereby submit my resignation and request permission to kill myself, with first sergeant Jones acting as my most honorable second. Pending any questions sir, first sergeant will unfold the e-tool for decapitation while I begin gutting myself with this leatherman. It has been an honor, sir. Private Smith, next slide please.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I haven't actually updated my command and staff slides in 3 months (aside from exactly one minor change) and nobody has said anything.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

TheQuietWilds posted:

Do they still make you do that general medicine tour before your residency?

Vasudus posted:

If you want to do medical consider the Public Health Service. All the benefits of being military without ANY of the madness associated with being in an armed service.

Always really funny to see the PHS folks get reeeeeeally confused when people would salute them. They have places they work all over the country and the work is pretty god drat interesting if humanitarian stuff interests you. Defo look into it (they also send one or two candidates to USUHS every year, if the reason you're avoiding it is mil obligation).

Degs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 30, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah PHS is great because you get to do like super humanitarian stuff like say, be the only doc on a reservation or something BUUUUUUT unlike most jobs that do that, you don't get paid dogshit. You get paid O3+ money with BAH and all that other poo poo.

Or you could just be an augmentee to a DoD executive agency.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was one of those enlisted. I was not exempt from bullshit clean up. Both of the worst.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I imagine I should be a pretty competitive applicant. I'm getting in on a weird linkage program from a post-bac (basically you get a one-off chance to apply to an affiliated school way outside of the application window), so the only reason I'm not applying to USUHS is because I'd like to start in the fall. I'll probably go UPHS > Navy > Actually paying for school. I would kind of like to go back overseas though, I really really loved being on Guam, and I don't imagine there's a lot of PHS billets out there (but maybe, worth looking into).

EDIT: The GMO tour is kind of optional, you don't HAVE to do it (unless you don't match to a residency), but some people do it in order to build seniority for the military residency match so they can get spots they wouldn't otherwise be competitive for (used to be a thing for radiology, is become a thing for ER apparently, same with Derm/Ortho).

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 1, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hypothetical question.

So, you all are aware of my plans to go to San Diego, attend college, and get a BA in video edit or some poo poo right?

I've just been told that I have an inside hook up at a government forestry position but it's in Atlanta. I'm not sure how much it pays, but how much would it have to be to tempt you to forgo going somewhere and doing something you want to do? I think it's gonna be about 1k a week in this real scenario and what it will actually pay.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Living in Georgia isn't worth any amount of money.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

Hypothetical question.

So, you all are aware of my plans to go to San Diego, attend college, and get a BA in video edit or some poo poo right?

I've just been told that I have an inside hook up at a government forestry position but it's in Atlanta. I'm not sure how much it pays, but how much would it have to be to tempt you to forgo going somewhere and doing something you want to do? I think it's gonna be about 1k a week in this real scenario and what it will actually pay.

52k a year after taxes or before? What about bennies? Seems like you could get a job as an editor around there and pull down more if you put your mind to it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Casimir Radon posted:

Living in Georgia isn't worth any amount of money.

If it's Jekyll, Tybee or any other of the Country Club Islands, it's a pretty nice place. But everything other than that aside from a few nicer homes in Savannah, Augusta and Athens is a poo poo hole

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Hypothetical question.

do what ur heart tells u~

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah 52k isn't exactly career-change worthy, imo. Now if you wanted to do it, that's a different story. But if you're working full time instead of going to school full time, that pretty much stretches out your degree plan to 6, maybe 7 years. Assuming of course that you were able to find a program in that region to get into. Are you okay with that?

If your dream is to do artsy fartsy poo poo in CA, go do it.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

TheQuietWilds posted:

So I'm a pubes breadth from getting into Drexel College of Medicine for the fall (all I need is a reasonable MCAT score, and the MCAT felt like it went pretty well). I have enough GI bill for one year, and DUCOM is unlimited yellow ribbon, so first year is paid. Now, for the second through fourth, they estimate ~85k/year of costs, so we're talking about $255k. I think that is likely enough to bring me back into the military. How bad could being an officer be compared to six years enlisted? I know O3E@6 makes a shitload more than an average resident.

gently caress going back in

as long as you make it through school and residency, you'll be fine once you get your first "real job". aren't there options to go work at some rural-shithole hospitals in exchange for higher pay/loan forgiveness through the federal government?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

manchego posted:

I am really sympathetic to this argument tbh

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

manchego posted:

as long as you make it through school and residency, you'll be fine once you get your first "real job". aren't there options to go work at some rural-shithole hospitals in exchange for higher pay/loan forgiveness through the federal government?

Yeah the ROI for medical school is ridiculously high, especially once you factor in loan forgiveness programs like that. And also the lifetime earnings of many doctors.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
mmm only 9.5 more pages to crank out on the trail of tears before I'm done writing for the semester

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got recommendations on printers? Need a full color scanner copier and the Lexmark piece of poo poo I have is garbage, the software for it is garbage and can't loving connect to wireless, and even though the ink cartridges I have are half full it just spits out blank pages even though it acts like its printing. I was looking at and hearing good things about Brother printers.

It would make things a lot easier to print out my reports for class at home instead of running to the library every Monday before class.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Anyone got recommendations on printers? Need a full color scanner copier and the Lexmark piece of poo poo I have is garbage, the software for it is garbage and can't loving connect to wireless, and even though the ink cartridges I have are half full it just spits out blank pages even though it acts like its printing. I was looking at and hearing good things about Brother printers.
I've got an Epson all-on-one that's really solid.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I've got a HP all in one that is decent and ink is available just about everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mike-o posted:

It would make things a lot easier to print out my reports for class at home instead of running to the library every Monday before class.

HP Officejet Pro 8610. Won't list all the features here since you can look them up but it's loving awesome and Amazon has it on sale constantly.

• Locked thread