Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Maybe he just used a *?

maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

One thing I was kind of disappointed with lore-wise regarding SOTFS/DkS3: the firekeeper is for some reason able to cure my character's hollowing curse just by using another firekeeper's soul. What happened to the whole thing with the crowns? Could they have done this the whole time? I had to work my rear end off in Scholar to be the one and only cured hollow and all this time all I needed to do was get two firekeepers in a room and kill one of them. I mean I could have just done that in the very first room of DkS2 and went home!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Man this thread moves fast. Does anyone else make their characters freaks of nature?

This is Handsome George, and he is pretty depressed about existing.

He has no luck with the ladies.

Swords he cant pick up bum him out.

bonus Bloodborne guy

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you're going to bow in PvP, be the first one to do it and within the range of a lunging attack.

argondamn posted:

One thing I was kind of disappointed with lore-wise regarding SOTFS/DkS3: the firekeeper is for some reason able to cure my character's hollowing curse just by using another firekeeper's soul. What happened to the whole thing with the crowns? Could they have done this the whole time? I had to work my rear end off in Scholar to be the one and only cured hollow and all this time all I needed to do was get two firekeepers in a room and kill one of them. I mean I could have just done that in the very first room of DkS2 and went home!

This one is quite different from an ordinary Firekeeper. Everything is quite different.

Especially (lategame spoilers) how the sky is hosed while I'm up there but normal when in the shrine :psyduck:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

argondamn posted:

She is wearing one of the crowns (or something like it, if you watch the DS3 intro trailer and the Crowns DLC trailers they are suspiciously alike) over her eyes. The Firekeeper's Soul you find is explicitly that of a Firekeeper who traveled to the Abyss and returned, so her soul is special and her affinity for the Abyss is what allows her soul to heal the Dark Sigil.

Why Unkindled don't hollow is not ever really explained though, but it makes a degree of sense why the Fire Keeper can cure you and it's definitely a callback of sorts to the DS2 DLC.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if someone invades me and then bows at me I'm hitting them with a firebomb

I got poo poo to do homie lets not let this take all day

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

The horrible, terrible crow people lived there originally. Apparently they can leave, since they've been found elsewhere (Ornifex, the Corvians themselves).

I'm curious; other than having to do with birds, where is it stated that they come from the painted world and don't just want to go there?

e: the Corvians I mean. They're quite obviously different creatures than the crow demons.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Man, I'm just being polite and happy to see someone who isn't running two phantoms and a giant seed just waiting to gank me. :(

E: I don't bow though, it's one of the many joyous ones instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

someone invaded me when I was at the top of lothric castle where the gold winged knights were, so I climbed to the top of the tower to look for him. when he got up, he bowed and I kicked him off the roof. then I killed him with a drop attack when he got up

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Manatee Cannon posted:

someone invaded me when I was at the top of lothric castle where the gold winged knights were, so I climbed to the top of the tower to look for him. when he got up, he bowed and I kicked him off the roof. then I killed him with a drop attack when he got up

Doesn't get more :darksouls: than that.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Babe Magnet posted:

Agreed.

Also Lt. Speirs has some advice for those of you that get super mad about invading into a 'gank squad' or a host that keeps resummoning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5YpUsDsHmk

Accept the fact that you're going to die and get in some practice. There's no time limits for invasions any more so they have to come to you.

Or just black crystal out. Whatever.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Babe Magnet posted:

A firebomb? What kind of horrible, uncultured heathen are you?

...You hit them with a Dung Pie, not a firebomb!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Getting tired of mobs starting an attack animation and then instantly turning 180 degrees with no animation to nail me with it when I dodge. I also don't remember being hit and/or killed by mobs swinging their weapons through walls constantly in earlier Souls games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Doesn't get more :darksouls: than that.

that actually happened twice, but the first time I was a sunbro and I didn't land the drop attack so the host died. we had gotten invaded earlier on the gargoyle roof and I kicked another phantom off that roof, but apparently there was a floor below him and he survived

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Another point in favor of the Scholar and Usurpation connection, Vendrick's dialogue from SotFS:

Fire came to be and with it disparity.
Heat and cold, life and death, light and dark.
Dark was seen as a curse.
Shadow is not cast but born of fire.
And the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow.
Inherit fire and harness the dark.
Such is the calling of a true leader.

The first two lines come from the intro to DS1, which is basically the "ancient lore" that Vendrick and Aldia rediscovered. Then he suggests that dark needs fire and that you should "inherit fire and harness the dark." Which doesn't exactly sound like merely linking the First Flame.

Yuria does want you to link it, but then: "My lord and liege, I prithee, play the usurper: When the moment cometh to link the fire, wrest it from its mantle." Also, "The Age of Fire was founded by the old gods, sustained by the linking of the fire. But the gods are no more, and the all-powerful fire deserveth a new heir. Our Lord of Hollows it shall be, who weareth the true face of mankind. Honorable usurper, I prithee wrest the flame from its mantle, so that we hollows in most honest shape of man may have it for our own." The entire thing with the "marriage" is specifically so you can gain the strength to usurp; and as it so happens "marrying" Anri gives you more Dark Sigils.

I dunno, that kinda sounds like inheriting fire and harnessing the dark to me.

Your Computer posted:

I'm curious; other than having to do with birds, where is it stated that they come from the painted world and don't just want to go there?

e: the Corvians I mean. They're quite obviously different creatures than the crow demons.
I figured they were malformed descendants of some sort. They're crow-associated, they use a scythe in imitation of the mistress of the Painted World, they tell stories of the place. They're connected in some fashion. We do know the crows can leave, in fact it seems like Priscilla could leave too if she wanted since she can tell you how to get out. She just prefers hanging out with her crow pals and her knight guy and her bonewheels.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Shnag posted:

Man this thread moves fast. Does anyone else make their characters freaks of nature?

This is Handsome George, and he is pretty depressed about existing.

He has no luck with the ladies.

Swords he cant pick up bum him out.

bonus Bloodborne guy

Thanks for reminding me I still needed to make Ocelotte

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Endings Question:

So I'm trying to get the "Usurp the Flame" ending, and I've done everything I need to aside from beating the final boss--I "married" Anri and talked to Yuria who said that I could usurp the flame "when the time came" or whatever. At the same time, I gave eyes to the Fire Keeper, who said something along the lines of "when the time is right, let the flame die out." Can I still get the Usurp ending, or do I need to kill the Fire Keeper and take her eyes back?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Sheen Sheen posted:

Endings Question:

So I'm trying to get the "Usurp the Flame" ending, and I've done everything I need to aside from beating the final boss--I "married" Anri and talked to Yuria who said that I could usurp the flame "when the time came" or whatever. At the same time, I gave eyes to the Fire Keeper, who said something along the lines of "when the time is right, let the flame die out." Can I still get the Usurp ending, or do I need to kill the Fire Keeper and take her eyes back?

You'll be given the choice to either link the flame or call her via summon sign, linking the flame will trigger the usurp ending and calling her will trigger the dark ending. There's no reason to kill her, so enjoy the awesome music you get

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sheen Sheen posted:

Endings Question:

na you're fine. to get usurp the flame, just link the fire. to get the dark ending, use the summon sign to call in the firekeeper after the boss is dead. you don't have to kill her and take the eyes back

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Getting tired of mobs starting an attack animation and then instantly turning 180 degrees with no animation to nail me with it when I dodge. I also don't remember being hit and/or killed by mobs swinging their weapons through walls constantly in earlier Souls games.

I loving wish.

I don't recall as many instances of being hit through the floor by enemies underneath my walkway, though.

"What the gently caress just hit me?... Oh I guess the Not Evangelist underneath this archway can just reach up and stab me in the foot, okay then."

People straight up aimbotting through walls with no line of sight was back in DS1, though. loving spear silver knights.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 2, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if Yuria is lying or if that "marriage" is really how they do it in hollow land.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I got into a mini-argument on Twitch the other day about the endings.

Which is a "happier" ending - Lord of Hollows, or the Betrayal (firekeeper ending)? Yuria says that becoming the Lord of Hollows will break the curse for good and usher in an age of man, but I'm not sure that we'll lead a very friendly kingdom. Yuria kind of leads you on re:Anri and has assassinations performed. And Londor (New Londo) didn't go so well! Meanwhile, in the Betrayal ending, the firekeeper removes the flame and...takes it with her? And she seems somewhat hopeful about the "small flames" in the distance, which I took to mean that a bunch of badasses will find it within themselves to be strong despite the dark.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 2, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RatHat posted:

I wonder if Yuria is lying or if that "marriage" is really how they do it in hollow land.

Given that apparently in some versions of the ending your spouse is there and in some they aren't its really hard to know for sure.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There are two interactive ending triggers: the First Flame and the Fire Keeper's summon sign. The second of those will only be present if you give the Eyes of a Fire Keeper to the Fire Keeper and talk to her about it. If you've flagged all the Usurpation events, interacting with the First Flame will give you the Usurpation of Fire ending; if you haven't flagged those events or you've cured the Dark Sigil entirely, you will get the Link the Fire ending. Regardless of those event flags, if you summon the Fire Keeper, she will begin to put out the flames. Let her do it for End of Flames, or attack her once you can control your character as the light starts to fade out; killing her gives the untitled and untrophied fourth ending which for the sake of simplicity I'll call Ash Seeketh Embers.

RatHat posted:

It's a euphemism, I think. You need to crack open Anri's skull to get his/her Dark Sigils so you have enough dark strength to control the First Flame.

HellCopter posted:

Which is a "happier" ending - Lord of Hollows, or the Betrayal (firekeeper ending)? Yuria says that becoming the Lord of Hollows will break the curse for good and usher in an age of man, but I'm not sure that we'll lead a very friendly kingdom. Yuria kind of leads you on re:Anri and has assassins under her control. And Londor (New Londo) didn't go so well! Meanwhile, in the Betrayal ending, the firekeeper removes the flame and...takes it with her? And she seems somewhat hopeful about the "small flames" in the distance, which I took to mean that a bunch of badasses will find it within themselves to be strong despite the dark.
The question is what exactly making Londor whole will entail, and whether it'll be a good thing. At least you'll be a god-king of sorts!

I kinda feel like Ash Seeketh Embers is the "proper" ending. It's very Berserk-y and we know Miyazaki loves that poo poo, plus it's the only ending without a trophy and to get it you have to remember Demon's Souls's second ending condition and think to try it without any prompting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How the gently caress do you get Patches to show up? I'm just before Abyss Watchers and he refuses to show up and trap me either in Firelink or in the Cathedral.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
As far as I know, getting him to appear in Firelink requires that you beat the cathedral boss first. Then go up the tower, take the elevator to the top and you should hear the door shut as you go up. Take the elevator back down and Patches should be there, waiting for you.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

How the gently caress do you get Patches to show up? I'm just before Abyss Watchers and he refuses to show up and trap me either in Firelink or in the Cathedral.

My surefire way to continue that quest is to open the big blue frontdoor to the Cathedral. Then Siegward appears in the well and Patches will show up anywhere that he can.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I couldn't find him either place and it turned out he was over at his merchant spot

he apologized for tricking me, which never happened

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Patches in Cathedral spawn method that has never failed for me: Go through the whole thing, don't take the secret route to Rosaria. Open the doors on the first floor past one of the giants. Take the final shortcut up to the main doors on the second floor and open them, then Quit Game and reload. Bridge should be up, Patches should be there. After the trap, go to the Rosaria side and Patches will be there again to apologize. Then go back to Firelink and he'll either be present as a merchant or will show up at the tower.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just remembered this video and I hope that there will be things as good as this in DS3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqacyIaq27o

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I miss the pig head...

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I thought it was a pretty boaring helmet.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just remembered this video and I hope that there will be things as good as this in DS3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqacyIaq27o

I watched that whole thing.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Where the gently caress is the Channeler's Trident FROM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPRCKdJKMsI

WHERE.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So here's my totally crazy and asinine theory about the Deep;

The Deep is the system of caves connected to the Majula pit from DS2. Why? Well, the Deep was used as a dumping ground for all sorts of poo poo people didn't want, which matches the purpose of the pit. Prior to being filled with all sorts of crap, it was considered a peaceful and sacred place, which would be a good description of Sanctum City prior to the Drakebloods loving everything up. One of few things we know about the Deep is that its full of insects, and that place had all sorts of nasties crawling around in it. And to really cap off this ridiculous theory, lets tie it to the idea that Aldrich ate Nito; where would he have found the remnants of his soul in the first place? In those caves, which is where the souls' previous owner the Rotten lived.

Babe Magnet posted:

I miss the pig head...

The boar helmet combined with the porcine shield would of been too powerful.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Fashion souls is getting better. Herald helm, Mirrah chest, Norther Gloves, Herald pants. Crest shield and Astora Straight Sword. I've put a heavy on a claymore and got it to +4 and it also looks quite dashing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Okay Patches finally deigned to show up in Firelink. I forget, should I buy the armor from him and give to to Siegward or does that gently caress up Greirat's quest?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

StashAugustine posted:

Okay Patches finally deigned to show up in Firelink. I forget, should I buy the armor from him and give to to Siegward or does that gently caress up Greirat's quest?

either way you're fine re: greirat

if you dont buy siegward's gear from patches then when you send greirat out to pillage irithyll, you can tell patches where he's going. patches will then dress up using siegward's gear and help greirat out

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Internet Kraken posted:

So here's my totally crazy and asinine theory about the Deep;

The Deep is the system of caves connected to the Majula pit from DS2. Why? Well, the Deep was used as a dumping ground for all sorts of poo poo people didn't want, which matches the purpose of the pit. Prior to being filled with all sorts of crap, it was considered a peaceful and sacred place, which would be a good description of Sanctum City prior to the Drakebloods loving everything up. One of few things we know about the Deep is that its full of insects, and that place had all sorts of nasties crawling around in it. And to really cap off this ridiculous theory, lets tie it to the idea that Aldrich ate Nito; where would he have found the remnants of his soul in the first place? In those caves, which is where the souls' previous owner the Rotten lived.

The boar helmet combined with the porcine shield would of been too powerful.

It's a metaphor for the ocean and pollution. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nakar posted:

She is wearing one of the crowns (or something like it, if you watch the DS3 intro trailer and the Crowns DLC trailers they are suspiciously alike) over her eyes. The Firekeeper's Soul you find is explicitly that of a Firekeeper who traveled to the Abyss and returned, so her soul is special and her affinity for the Abyss is what allows her soul to heal the Dark Sigil.

Why Unkindled don't hollow is not ever really explained though, but it makes a degree of sense why the Fire Keeper can cure you and it's definitely a callback of sorts to the DS2 DLC.

Well Unkindled are undead that tried and failed to link the fire. I guess the whole burning up and being resurrected from ash makes them different from regular undead, and requires accepting sigils from a regular undead to have hollowing be a thing.

HellCopter posted:

Which is a "happier" ending - Lord of Hollows, or the Betrayal (firekeeper ending)? Yuria says that becoming the Lord of Hollows will break the curse for good and usher in an age of man, but I'm not sure that we'll lead a very friendly kingdom. Yuria kind of leads you on re:Anri and has assassinations performed. And Londor (New Londo) didn't go so well! Meanwhile, in the Betrayal ending, the firekeeper removes the flame and...takes it with her? And she seems somewhat hopeful about the "small flames" in the distance, which I took to mean that a bunch of badasses will find it within themselves to be strong despite the dark.

I interpret the betrayal ending as the Firekeeper smothering the first flame. In this ending it finally dies out for good, leaving an eternal plane of darkness. But with the glimmer of hope that, eventually, tiny embers will flicker in that darkness. Whether that means a new flame being born, or that the world is one mostly of darkness but with the occasional flicker of light or something else is up to you, but it definitely seems to be the most hopeful ending to me. Which is probably why the variant where you kill her before that happens is the most bleak in tone.