Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I was the official photographer for Godwit Days again this year, and I ended up leading one of the photography field trips this time. I'm finally done sorting through all the photos, but still have a ton of footage to go through from the events. Here are some highlights.

A Common Loon was catching crabs in Hookton Slough:

loon-crab by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

An Allen's Hummingbird displaying near the Humboldt Bay Bird Observatory:

allens-display by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A cooperative little Marsh Wren that came out during my photography tour:

marsh-wren-calling by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Western Gulls necking:

gulls-necking by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

More Wood Duck drakes have arrived in Sequoia Park.

wood-duck-wing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Barn Swallow attacking a Sharp-shinned Hawk:

swallow-accipiter by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I saw my first Purple Martins at the Blue Lake hatchery:

purple martins by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The group photo from the Birding with the Keynote Speaker field trip. David Sibley is center bottom (in the white shirt) and I'm on the bottom left, diving back into the frame because I didn't want to make everyone wait while I remembered how to set the shutter timer to ten seconds instead of three.

group-photo by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
A few from last week in Calgary:
Common Raven by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
European Starling by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
American Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Northern Flicker by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
American Crow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And some from this morning by Tofield:
Rough-legged Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Mountain Bluebird (male) by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Mountain Bluebirds by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
After 10 years watching my dumb birds, I was actually in the right place/right time and ready for an eagle attack in decent light. Really wishing I had my colleague's 7dII because I missed focus on most of them, but overall can't complain!

Golden Eagle-3386 on Flickr

Golden Eagle-3388 on Flickr

Golden Eagle-3393 on Flickr

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
I have a decision to make soon, as I'm headed to Magee Marsh in a few weeks for the warblers.

To buy the Canon 100-400 II or Sigma 150-600 Sport?

They're similarly priced, and I've heard that I won't miss the 200mm by going with the Canon. Last year for the trip to Magee I rented the Sigma and really liked it because at the time I was shooting on a 300mm, but it was incredibly bulky and heavy for the kind of shooting I do.

If it makes any difference, I shoot on a 7DM2 with a Canon 1.4x II

If anyone has had experience with both of these, which do you prefer?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Was out playing with the 75-300mm in the yard after a failed experiment with a pinhole body cap, and found a couple of cardinals out on a date. :3:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice eagle shots, Lek!

ntrepid posted:

I have a decision to make soon, as I'm headed to Magee Marsh in a few weeks for the warblers.

To buy the Canon 100-400 II or Sigma 150-600 Sport?

They're similarly priced, and I've heard that I won't miss the 200mm by going with the Canon. Last year for the trip to Magee I rented the Sigma and really liked it because at the time I was shooting on a 300mm, but it was incredibly bulky and heavy for the kind of shooting I do.

If it makes any difference, I shoot on a 7DM2 with a Canon 1.4x II

If anyone has had experience with both of these, which do you prefer?
You're definitely going to want the extra reach for small birds. The 100-400 is a nice lens but once you put a 1.4X on it, it's a bit softer than the Sigma Sport at long end and will be limited to working with only your center AF point. The Sigma is significantly larger and heavier though, and I've heard AF accuracy complaints from people who didn't calibrate the lens, so be prepared to spend some time dialing in your focus adjustments or using Sigma's USB dock thingy if you go that route.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Aaaaand we're back to grouse

Ground level sage-grouse-3173 on Flickr

Grouse in Sunbeam-3325 on Flickr

Grouse under full moon-3269 on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

how close are you able to get to those grouse, are you set up in a blind or anything?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.audubon.org/magazine/may-june-2016/the-2016-audubon-photography-awards-winners

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

neckbeard posted:

how close are you able to get to those grouse, are you set up in a blind or anything?

Yup- in a blind for all the grouse pics- and most of the other bird pics I've posted recently. The birds are usually at least 20' outside the blind, and typically closer to 50 or 60'. This is part of a research project, although the camera is mostly just for fun (although we use the photos in presentations, plus we use photos of the birds' butts to tell them apart as individuals).

There are some leks where you can get really close in a vehicle, but you'd want to check with the local wildlife managers to find one where that is OK. Sage-grouse leks can be really prone to disturbance- one mistake and the entire group of birds can leave for the day, and a few days like that could start to have real impacts on the local population.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Weather too crappy to watch grouse, so we went looking for other critters a little closer to the mountains.

Let me get this one out of the way first:
Poopsprey-4601 on Flickr

Osprey Dubois-3744 on Flickr

Dubois Bald Eagle-3674 on Flickr

Magpie sheep closeup Dubois-4093 on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

This is kind of amazing. Nice Asspray, too.

There were nine Osprey out fishing at Freshwater Lagoon this evening.

osprey-bass by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-missed by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Another Wood Duck portrait. It looks like most of them that showed up during the migration have left. Two drakes and a female were still in the pond, so hopefully we have a breeding pair that will stick around.

wood-duck-portrait by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

My neighborhood Red-shouldered Hawk was hunting along the road when I was driving home the other day.

rsh-flying by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Here are more fairy wrens from my garden. It's out of breeding season so the male is no longer that gnarly blue/aqua colour, but is now instead drab grey.
Sorry to keep posting fairy wrens, but I really find them fascinating. It's that harem lifestyle I think

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
Few from yesterday; loving the Nikkor 300mm f4 PF ED!

Great Horned Owl in Flight by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Great Grey Owl by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Bald Eagle by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Grey Wagtail with a bunch of insects in its beak by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

Great Horned Owl On Perch by Peter Cartwright, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

^^those are all looking really sharp^^

Red-winged Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Northern Pintails by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Lesser Yellowlegs by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Song Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

neckbeard posted:

^^those are all looking really sharp^^

Red-winged Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Northern Pintails by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Lesser Yellowlegs by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Song Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Great photos, looks like a gorgeous day for shooting. I love Northern Flickers, they look like they're made of the bits leftover from making other birds.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This isn't bird photography per se (because I am terrible at it) but I took a video of a bird (whiskey jack!) with my gopro and thought a few people in this thread might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLlsY-g2d2w

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Today was crazy beautiful in Seattle

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Willie wagtails are little shitheads.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This will probably be the last for the season. No more new photos at least- we are packing up camp and leaving Wyoming sometime in the next week.

A classic male lekking behavior shot...
Three sage-grouse in display-5028 on Flickr

We've had a lot of precipitation, and one of our leks actually flooded. A pain research wise (thankfully could have been a lot worse), but at least an interesting photo opportunity.

Sage-grouse en rose-5867 on Flickr

Sage-grouse wading-5896 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

All great stuff, but that's a real beauty!

I had my first experience banding barred owls yesterday:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Omg that owlet.

Omg that grouse! Love that attention-seeking behavior.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys!

those eyes on the owl, so blue!

Sage-grouse tai chi-6132 on Flickr

Sage-grouse pre-flight check-6137 on Flickr

And missed focus

What is the sound of one sage-grouse clapping-6139 on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

All great stuff, but that's a real beauty!

This owl is high as gently caress

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I like Magpies.
Sunday Afternoon in Fort McMurray 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Sunday Afternoon in Fort McMurray 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

THAT Fort McMurray? :ohdear:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There's no cocaine or newfies in the shots so not likely.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yes, the Fort McMurray that's currently being devoured by a fire named The Beast.

Click through to my photostream and you'll see my pictures of a different kind of bird - firefighting aircraft. I took those pictures on Sunday afternoon, then left - as per my pre-arranged schedule, without a care in the world - on Monday morning. Tuesday was when the situation turned from "pretty smoke clouds and interesting aircraft (circling coke-fueled Newfies, yes)" to "OH poo poo".

I feel like the luckiest person in Alberta - I had an uneventful* 7-hour drive to Peace River, which is and remains quite lovely and unburnt.

*Uneventful as regards wildfires. I did have an odd encounter with a duck, but I haven't edited those pictures yet.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I love it. Great grouse shots too, Lek.

The weather has been pretty miserable this week, but I managed to get in a walk at Arcata Marsh yesterday before it started raining again. Mallard ducklings are all over the place.

ducklet by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Sculpins are showing up all over the wetlands, and the wading birds are loving it.

egret-sculpin3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

sculpin-snack by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Common Loon is visiting one of the ponds.

loon-bath3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I got in about an hour with the Wood Ducks this evening before I got rained out. I'm still not seeing any of them flying off to nesting sites, but they're courting pretty aggressively.

wood-duck-squeak by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

I love it. Great grouse shots too, Lek.

The weather has been pretty miserable this week, but I managed to get in a walk at Arcata Marsh yesterday before it started raining again. Mallard ducklings are all over the place.

ducklet by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Sculpins are showing up all over the wetlands, and the wading birds are loving it.

egret-sculpin3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

sculpin-snack by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Common Loon is visiting one of the ponds.

loon-bath3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I got in about an hour with the Wood Ducks this evening before I got rained out. I'm still not seeing any of them flying off to nesting sites, but they're courting pretty aggressively.

wood-duck-squeak by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

So good!

Here's a couple of rainbow lorikeets.

And an emu.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ExecuDork posted:

I feel like the luckiest person in Alberta - I had an uneventful* 7-hour drive to Peace River, which is and remains quite lovely and unburnt.

I'm glad you're okay! I hope things remain calm for you.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I found an acorn woodpecker nest and my husband and I took these photos:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Staryberry posted:

I found an acorn woodpecker nest and my husband and I took these photos:

Waka waka! Great photos. One of my favorite birds.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Yes, the Fort McMurray that's currently being devoured by a fire named The Beast.

Click through to my photostream and you'll see my pictures of a different kind of bird - firefighting aircraft. I took those pictures on Sunday afternoon, then left - as per my pre-arranged schedule, without a care in the world - on Monday morning. Tuesday was when the situation turned from "pretty smoke clouds and interesting aircraft (circling coke-fueled Newfies, yes)" to "OH poo poo".

*Uneventful as regards wildfires. I did have an odd encounter with a duck, but I haven't edited those pictures yet.

Hey Alberta goon, glad to hear you made it out ok

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Like American Robins, Dark-eyed Juncos are good looking birds found everywhere here and I'd never really gotten a decent shot of one until just now. Pretty sure this was a fledgling since it just sat there beeping within typical flush distance.

This was with the Panasonic 100-400, which I suppose should get a little explanation in the mirrorless thread. Spoiler: It's really nice.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

One more barred owlet shot:

I wonder if these guys are the reason we have myths about wood sprites and pixies. They sure don't look like birds.

toggle posted:

Here's a couple of rainbow lorikeets.

All great stuff posted, but I've quoted my favourites. I wish I could spend a bit more time and comment more in depth but I'm slammed by work plus I'm not sure people really appreciate or want that kind of comment.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Found this fella this morning, he was not impressed and flew away and hooted at me short after i took this photo. I was a bit surprised since its the same tree i saw the red/orange one in last month and always assumed that owls lived in the same tree.

Owl by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Could be a mixed pair?

Got a weekend in Yellowstone on the way back from Wyoming. Obviously birds aren't the big draw there but got a few I was reasonably happy with...

Mountain Bluebird Yellowstone-6085 on Flickr

Yellowstone Raven-6775 on Flickr

Mammoth Hot Springs Killdeer-7528 on Flickr

Speeding Killdeer-7711 on Flickr

Robin Silouette-7737 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've been shooting owls like a madman recently.

The raven is gorgeous, and I love what you did with the killdeer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I tried a few times with the killdeer but that was the best I could get. They are kind of unpredictable in how they run around so it was a challenge to pan with them.

Those owls, omg...