Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Allison's got a third Sinbad-related interview up on her youtube. I've really been enjoying them, though I haven't been able to listen to this one. I do think all these positive responses to interview requests are signs that Dean Stockwell should be next. C'mon Allison, meet your surly friendly idol and entertain us! I'm not even lying when I say he might enjoy talking about Quantum Leap comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's amazing how deep the rabbit hole goes there is, considering that's its the rabbit hole of an obscure fantasy film that you can only get on DVD in Spain (?).

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

poparena posted:

So, Animorphs is done (and thanks for all the kind words!), so it's time to start on a new main project. I have posted my introduction to the Doctor Who Book Guide, which will be focusing on the main book lines produced between the show's cancellation in 1989 and its revival in 2005. This first video is all historical context. Trying to freshen up my style a bit, let me know if does or doesn't work for you guys.

Nicely summarised. Those books get really weird and goofy, even for Doctor Who.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SO! I'm taking a shot at the internet reviewer thing, just in text form though. I posted my first review just now for Nameless Let me know what you guys think?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BigglesSWE posted:

Jontron! Yay! Reviewing a movie! Much yay!

There are two twists in this movie that really knocked the air out of me. Guess which ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWlKOwqlD4
:stare:

I love how the movie just throws those two things in there with no warning. Especially the Dom DeLuise part.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Jack Gladney posted:

Allison's got a third Sinbad-related interview up on her youtube. I've really been enjoying them, though I haven't been able to listen to this one. I do think all these positive responses to interview requests are signs that Dean Stockwell should be next. C'mon Allison, meet your surly friendly idol and entertain us! I'm not even lying when I say he might enjoy talking about Quantum Leap comic books.

My social anxiety barely let me do the interviews I did; I would crumble and die if I talked to one of my heroes. But I do agree he'd probably enjoy talking about QL comic books! He probably hasn't read them; I could tell him about the one where Sam leaps into an alien, or when they meet Steven Seagal.

Glad you're enjoying the interviews! Everyone was incredibly nice and generous with their time.

Here's the interview with executive producer Diane Mehrez by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEet3-XKm8I

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miss Wallace posted:

My social anxiety barely let me do the interviews I did; I would crumble and die if I talked to one of my heroes. But I do agree he'd probably enjoy talking about QL comic books! He probably hasn't read them; I could tell him about the one where Sam leaps into an alien, or when they meet Steven Seagal.

Glad you're enjoying the interviews! Everyone was incredibly nice and generous with their time.

Here's the interview with executive producer Diane Mehrez by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEet3-XKm8I

I know how you feel. One time I saw Svengoolie out on the street and thought about going over to talk to him, but then I was afraid that if I found out he was a huge jerk or something I wouldn't be able to enjoy his show any more. You don't seem anxious at all in these, by the way.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Spoony is below 2k

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

ZeeBoi posted:

Spoony is below 2k

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Who's that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who's that?

Only the greatest horror movie host ever/left on the air. He's like Elvira or one of those other guys like the old guy in Gremlins 2 or Roddy McDowell in Fright Night. He shows tired old horror movies while in Halloween makeup and makes tired old corny jokes before and after commercials. I love him.

There used to be a ton of shows like his all over the country on local tv but I think he's the only one left.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Jack Gladney posted:

I know how you feel. One time I saw Svengoolie out on the street and thought about going over to talk to him, but then I was afraid that if I found out he was a huge jerk or something I wouldn't be able to enjoy his show any more. You don't seem anxious at all in these, by the way.

I did this too. Walk past a fave celeb terrified of asking for an autograph and having them say "Oh piss off" or something.

Except there was the added awkwardness of it being Warwick Davis and me literally tripping over him. :(

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Does GradeUnderGrade count as an Internet Critic or not?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think he's more a random youtube personality, since he doesn't really "review" so much as blather on amusingly. I think he's come up here before in relation to his rants about youtube itself, tho.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I just saw the JonTron review. I seriously wish I didn't get the weirdness spoiled for me before watching it. That was delicious cheese.

Was that music at the end a sendup of Kiss Kicker from Hobgoblins? Is JonTron's left eye alright :ohdear:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VfOQ9rgdbc
Rich probably pissed off a lot of Naughty Dog fans by saying that their games are lazy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Rich probably pissed off a lot of Naughty Dog fans by saying that their games are lazy.

It seems like you can describe a lot of the thing he's said or done recently as "Rich probably pissed off..." (not that that's necessarily a bad thing :v:)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I haven't watched that review yet but that sounds like a really dumb statement to make. Naughty Dog games are anything but lazy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It seems like you can describe a lot of the thing he's said or done recently as "Rich probably pissed off..." (not that that's necessarily a bad thing :v:)
Yeah in retrospect I'm starting to notice that too

Basically Rich thinks Third Person Shooters are game devs being lazy when making a game.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I haven't watched that review yet but that sounds like a really dumb statement to make. Naughty Dog games are anything but lazy.

Yeah, that's about the oddest statement I've ever heard. What on earth is he finding lazy about them?

Also finding his issue with TPS games really odd. So going off his logic are games like Ratchet and Clank lazy and bland as well?

Asuron fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 3, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a pretty big genre to condemn. Some of the best games made last generation are 3rd person shooters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It makes sense from his perspective. Ignoring everything related to story, presentation, visual design, etc., games like UC are linear and largely made up of setpieces, simple puzzle solving, and shooting segments. The game design doesn't interest him, so that they did it several times over is lazy to him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Motto posted:

It makes sense from his perspective. Ignoring everything related to story, presentation, visual design, etc., games like UC are linear and largely made up of setpieces, simple puzzle solving, and shooting segments. The game design doesn't interest him, so that they did it several times over is lazy to him.

Yeah but that's also a really silly way to approach it. You can't look at things in parts like that, you have to look at how it all comes together.

Plus uhh when did linear become this dirty word? Who cares if something is linear? Some of the best games ever made only point you forward like Half Life 2. Personally I'm getting sick of every game going open world and losing the ability to tell a proper story in the process, not to mention how much time it eats up. It's getting to the point where I just avoid games I think I'll like because I know I won't have the time for it because they all require you to invest 40 something hours into at minimum.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

People get incensed beyond all reason if a game clocks in under 6 hours, but the original Doom can be beaten in 3, and I've never in my life heard somebody criticize it for being too short.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'd rather have a short, fun game with good replayability than a long slog I can barely get through the first time and replaying feels like a chore, personally.

Also is Splatoon lazy? If it is, it sure it fun lazy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Plus LOU and Uncharted games can be really fun to play if you play the hard modes

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think a lot of the dislike of linear games is a sense of "You couldn't do this before because the technology couldn't handle it; now you can, so you have to." It's a fairly common attitude in a lot of game development areas: old is bad because it's old, new is good because it's new. (See also: every game needs voice acting, despite the fact that the acting itself usually sucks and voice acting can really inhibit writers' ability to polish a game.)

It's kind of a shame; I've been playing a bunch of old NES/Famicom roms lately, and there's some cool gameplay/design stuff in there that's kind of been left to rot, because it's considered too old-fashioned.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually universal voice acting is a good thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alaois posted:

actually universal voice acting is a good thing

That's why Fallout 4's story and acting are so good.
Right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yes, thank you for proving my point.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Honestly, gently caress open world third person games. It's abundantly clear by this point that the genre isn't moving in the direction of anything interesting or compelling, just hours upon hours of bland "content". There's no push to add any kind of real interaction with the worlds, or for them to exist as anything but padding you have to navigate between missions, nobody cares about pushing any kind of envelope, to make the games cooler or bigger or more fun, just to make them more. And why bother coming up with new kinds of play when basically everything can be bent to work as an open-world third person shooter, probably with vehicles, racing minigames and tailing missions nobody on the planet enjoys but are cheap to make, a bajillion worthless collectibles, add some crafting too, fuckers love crafting. The current state of open world third person video games represents the final entropic state of AAA. Welcome to the heat death of video games.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 3, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I am burnt out on video games. :smith:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Um, does anyone know what that video game... con? Trade show? Glorified series of video game commercials? That was a horribly mismanaged trainwreck and one of the hosts just snarked at how badly put together it was the entire time? I think someone posted a video of it after someone mentioned Angry Joe once. I've been searching around for a while and can't find anything.

(E: Joe had nothing to do with it, they were making some kind of comparison I can't recall)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 3, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jsor posted:

Um, does anyone know what that video game... con? Trade show? Glorified series of video game commercials? That was a horribly mismanaged trainwreck and one of the hosts just snarked at how badly put together it was the entire time? I think someone posted a video of it after someone mentioned Angry Joe once. I've been searching around for a while and can't find anything.

(E: Joe had nothing to do with it, they were making some kind of comparison I can't recall)

It was Pat the NES Punk on the Colecovison Coleco Chameleon. Give me a few and I'll try to get a link to the first chronological one.

e: Here it is. There's more though because it was an unfolding story.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 3, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jsor posted:

The Video Game Awards?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Video Game Awards?

Thank you, this is what I was trying to find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1OGexjaP1U

I think someone compared it to one of Joe's old interviews with someone or something.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Does GradeUnderGrade count as an Internet Critic or not?

No, he's an opinionated rear end in a top hat

edit: LITERALLY an opinionated arse-hol!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jsor posted:

Thank you, this is what I was trying to find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1OGexjaP1U

I think someone compared it to one of Joe's old interviews with someone or something.

This is still loving amazing years later. gently caress Geoff Keighley and his doritos stained hands.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

yes, thank you for proving my point.

They're not though, they're awful. Like objectively so, from a person who rarely uses that word. It's lifeless and droning the vast majority of the time and when there is any kind of emotion trying to be conveyed, it falls flat or is laughably hammy instead. Like play low-effort contrarian all you like, it's not to say you can't like whatever thing, but it kind of falls apart when you're doing it for a thing that's so notably bad about it's issue.

Also calling Naughty Dog/all TPS games lazy is worse than usual on the 'Rich is being dumb about games' front. Then again the comments are people saying TLOU was 99% movie and 1% game so I don't know what these people are playing. :psyduck:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

listen pal if i wanted to read words i'd read a fuckin book

• Locked thread