Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah smothering the flame seems to be the best ending, as it finally lets the stretched-too-thin first flame die out so that someday a fresh flame can begin. The way its narrated also makes it the only ending in the series that has a hopeful tone. The other option is trying to stretch the final flame even further, prolonging the dying state of the world (it doesn't flourish or show any signs of growing stronger as it did in DS1), or consuming the flame with dark to become a Hollow Lord (Which in retrospect is probably what Nashandra wanted from you in DS2?)

The entire point of the series seems to be accepting the end so something new can begin, rather than clinging on to an increasingly thin existence that just produces increasingly more suffering. Gwyn was wrong to ever try and prolong the flame, etc.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

HellCopter posted:

I never even considered that Aldrich ate Nito. How does that begin to make sense? Didn't Nito die hundreds of years ago or something?

The Nito connection comes from the fact that he's wielding Nito's blade combined with the resemblance of his lower body to Nito. It doesn't matter if Nito was defeated in DS1 because Lord Souls persist and recinarnate.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah smothering the flame seems to be the best ending, as it finally lets the stretched-too-thin first flame die out so that someday a fresh flame can begin. The way its narrated also makes it the only ending in the series that has a hopeful tone. The other option is trying to stretch the final flame even further, prolonging the dying state of the world (it doesn't flourish or show any signs of growing stronger as it did in DS1), or consuming the flame with dark to become a Hollow Lord (Which in retrospect is probably what Nashandra wanted from you in DS2?)

The entire point of the series seems to be accepting the end so something new can begin, rather than clinging on to an increasingly thin existence that just produces increasingly more suffering. Gwyn was wrong to ever try and prolong the flame, etc.

Smothering the flame is good in theory but it'll kinda kill out most life since most won't be able to survive in the dark(hollows being one of the few).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah smothering the flame seems to be the best ending, as it finally lets the stretched-too-thin first flame die out so that someday a fresh flame can begin.
unless like, a new fresh flame doesn't ever begin

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Haha drat. Did you know if you die in a dream, your ring of sacrifice dies for real? Goddamn. I put it on to protect my 8million bloodstain but forgot to take it off, helped a guy kill a boss, died at the end, heard it shatter. Got the message as I returned to my world that my ring was broke.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RatHat posted:

Smothering the flame is good in theory but it'll kinda kill out most life since most won't be able to survive in the dark(hollows being one of the few).

I'm not so sure even hollows are gonna last too long? I kinda figured it would lead to a lifeless/deathless state similar to the age of everlasting dragons until a new flame sprung up.

That's the whole point, preserving life is no longer worth while when it's become so thin and bleak. The old needs to die to make way for something new.

Basically Dark Souls was really about euthanasia all along. :v:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

IronicDongz posted:

unless like, a new fresh flame doesn't ever begin

it's not like the world is 95% okay and you're throwing it all away out of spite if you smother the flame. everything is double hosed sideways with a rake by the time you find your happy rear end in the kiln again. smothering the first flame is a mercy killing by any measure at the point in the game world we find ourselves in.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When you take the..uh...bridge, down to Smouldering Lake , I just noticed you can see down below there is some kind of enemy standing there. Where is that? How do you get there?

In 2.5 playthroughs I still have yet to encounter Siegward beyond the elevator with the giant archer and the subsequent fight he aids you on. I also just found the area leading to Rosaria for the first time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sure, that's fair. But there's a difference between saying "it's a mercy killing, and maybe it could end up good afterwards" and "this is because it'll end up good afterwards"

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

codo27 posted:

When you take the..uh...bridge, down to Smouldering Lake , I just noticed you can see down below there is some kind of enemy standing there. Where is that? How do you get there?

In 2.5 playthroughs I still have yet to encounter Siegward beyond the elevator with the giant archer and the subsequent fight he aids you on. I also just found the area leading to Rosaria for the first time.

As you enter the lake, hug the wall to the right and you'll find a small little path. Also it's not an enemy, it's a lost friend

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I don't think The Dark literally kills everybody. It's just...kind of boring. Stagnant. People existed before the age of fire, after all. But those tiny flames in that the Firekeeper sees are the hope that people will rise up again, just like the did from the original age of grey nothingness.

The firekeeper wants you to kill her and remove the eyes - not because it's spooky or w/e, but because she's "enticed" by the darkness. She can tell that smothering the flame is the right thing to do.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

IronicDongz posted:

Sure, that's fair. But there's a difference between saying "it's a mercy killing, and maybe it could end up good afterwards" and "this is because it'll end up good afterwards"

Well, that's the nature of hope, isn't it? Whether something new will actually be born from the ashes or not doesn't matter, as long as the possibility of something better than a guttering flame exists.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I forgot about the part of the Dancer glitch where you're not supposed to kill Vordt, so I've been making periodic attempts at her as I advance the story. Just got her down :toot:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The actual Dark Souls plot

There's even parallels to the Age of Fire, of Iron, and of Dark!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I like the style of the Warpick, I just really wish it had a more interesting/useful weapon art :sigh: While I'm at it, every "Hammer" that isn't a club or Drang hammers.

I get the intentions behind the perseverance power at least. That tiny duration, tiny stamina regen Galvanize buff that the Warpick (And pickaxe) has is the most :geno: of all though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
One of the other interesting things is that NPCs seem to think there's no clear good answer. Most of the non-evil NPCs and characters in the prior Souls games just assume you will be linking the flame. Cornyx and Karla don't push you, they basically tell you that it's your decision to make and they trust that you'll make the right one. There's a tonal implication that they know you may end up not linking it, and that they might be okay with that.

Also come on guys the age to come is the age of Bloodborne, it's all there in the lore. Aldrich dreams of a bottomless sea. A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea. Ah, Kos, or some say... Aldrich. Grant our Fire Keepers eyes.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

I was a purple phantom trying to kill a red phantom who was trying to kill the host, when another purple phantom killed us all in one shot with a giant laser beam and did the booya emote. I feel like i have been in a lot of peoples highlight reels on the receiving end. There was some person with two phantoms and when i ran up to them one guy killed/bled me out in like 3 seconds with the Warden Swords or whatever they're called and threw one of those twinkling markers where they killed me. Is that anime

I really like the crystal sage boss fight music. It reminds me of ghosts and goblins music or something i dunno

The animations are great too and i like the sense of weight that the character has as you run around and turn and stuff

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fuligin posted:

The evidence for Aldrich eating Nito lies in them having the same hairy skeleton skirt, and a roughly similar scythe melee attack. Also the fact that he's titled devourer of gods which does suggest he chowed down on more than just Gwyndolin. I could see it going either way, though.

Nashandra and the other genderbent manus kidz were also channeling the Nito look for their fashion souls. IMHO filthy hair skirts are just a dark/abyss thing ...see spooky Dark Armor.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

codo27 posted:

A guy standing in the pool at the bottom? That's Horace, have you not done Anri's quest in 2.5 playthroughs??

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nakar posted:

Also come on guys the age to come is the age of Bloodborne, it's all there in the lore. Aldrich dreams of a bottomless sea. A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea. Ah, Kos, or some say... Aldrich. Grant our Fire Keepers eyes.

That's what I think, too. Although that kinda complicates Marvelous Chester. I'm hoping for more direct BB tie-ins in the DLC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nakar posted:

One of the other interesting things is that NPCs seem to think there's no clear good answer. Most of the non-evil NPCs and characters in the prior Souls games just assume you will be linking the flame. Cornyx and Karla don't push you, they basically tell you that it's your decision to make and they trust that you'll make the right one. There's a tonal implication that they know you may end up not linking it, and that they might be okay with that.

Don't forget Ludleth telling you why he made the choice he made and telling you to fully own up to whatever decision you make.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Something something lore, something something Japanese developer: Samsara

Levels/layers of existence, levels of deity, etc.

Okay, someone who actually studies this stuff confirm/deny while I go see how far I can get on my L40 jerky man.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

immortal flow posted:

A guy standing in the pool at the bottom? That's Horace, have you not done Anri's quest in 2.5 playthroughs??

Yes, I been there before. I figured it out once I got down there

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
In regards to Ocelotte, it's clear that the reason Oceiros is so confused about him is that his son wound up getting stuck in a classic Dark Souls history anomaly and accidentally emerged as the player character in Skyrim, explaining the sudden appearance of the Dragonborn. Poor guy.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My fashion souls got a whole lot better once I realized there was an actual button for "Less Detailed" on the equipment screen, allowing you to see most of the screen while you change equipment. Shoving the camera against a wall and changing gear to see how it looks has never been easier! Exiting out of the menu in DS1/2 was too much :effort:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've played all three Dark Souls games, but III is the first one that I have beaten. I got the Usurper ending, though I didn't see the entire ending I assume, because I skipped the credits. Is there anything I should do before I start a new game+?

edit: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/New+Game+Plus pretty much answers this question.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've always felt that Dark Souls plays around with the notions of Dark and Light. In your typical western Fantasy setting, Dark = evil, bad and Light = good, holy so a lot of people quickly assume that in Dark Souls the gods (Gwyn et al.) are benevolent beings and the Age of Fire (and therefore Linking the Fire) is objectively "good" while the alternative is "the evil option".

In Dark Souls 1 you're given a grand speech on how you're the Chosen One who will succeed Lord Gwyn to become the new Lord of Fire, and when you meet "Gwynevere" she delivers a very stereotypical "oh great hero thou hast journeyed far" type shtick accompanied by uplifting music and soft, warm lighting. Of course, the truth of the matter is that Frampt casually left out the part where you sacrifice yourself and Gwynevere is just an illusion designed to make you feel successful, and the true Anor Londo is abandoned and dark. After a while it becomes pretty clear that you're just a pawn, everyone is scheming and everyone has their own agenda. The gods desperately want to prolong the Age of Fire and it almost feels like the undead are designed to do that job for them (and it's clear that many "Chosen" undead have come before you), but a big question is whether this is actually in humanity's favor.

Of course it doesn't help that the other side is just as scheming and seemingly destructive (see: Kaathe, Darkwraiths, New Londo, Ooolacile), and DS2 dabbled in the idea that it's just a cycle, doomed to repeat itself over and over. If any of DS3's endings represent an end to the cycle, I'm not sure. Some like to think that snuffing out the First Flame will let other Flames ignite and letting the world finally move forward, but I feel like the Fire Keepers dialogue about "tiny flames" could just as well be about the inevitability of the cycle.

I'm no expert on Dark Souls lore though and there's a lot I hope we'll get at least some more info on with the upcoming DLC, like the nature of the Dark Soul and Humanity.

Nakar posted:

I'm all for it if it ends with an announcement that Bloodborne is coming to PC :pray:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 2, 2016

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Currently using a +4 Katana from the start of the game sword guy by the shrine, sitting at 20 vigor 20 stamina stat. What's the word on the warden's twinblade thing, still good after the nerf? Was thinking of taking luck to 40 and doing the bleed thing on this guy but not sure what weapon to go for in the mid/late game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Revol posted:

I've played all three Dark Souls games, but III is the first one that I have beaten. I got the Usurper ending, though I didn't see the entire ending I assume, because I skipped the credits. Is there anything I should do before I start a new game+?

edit: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/New+Game+Plus pretty much answers this question.

Make sure you've done all the areas, got all the important items, grind out souls/upgrade mats for any weapons you want to use in ng+ (since it'll be a while before you can get higher tier ones again), and kill every NPC except for Andre and the Handmaid since some of them drop unique poo poo, or killing them lets you buy their armor form the Handmaid.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Fire Keeper has a one-off line about the other flames in the distance as you near endgame while she has the eyes . She mentions Lords of Cinder in her words, but I wasn't able to parse what she said due to surprise/mashing through on accident.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
What do you figure the fastest weapon in the game is? The 40 luck I have should make bleeding actually viable. Of course, my STR and DEX are at 13 so actual damage is irrelevant.

Is it better to infuse a weapon with Blood or just throw Carthus Rouge on it? Opinions seem to be split on whether Carthus Rouge scales with Luck.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I've always felt that Dark Souls plays around with the notions of Dark and Light. In your typical western Fantasy setting, Dark = evil, bad and Light = good, holy so a lot of people quickly assume that in Dark Souls the gods (Gwyn et al.) are benevolent beings and the Age of Fire (and therefore Linking the Fire) is objectively "good" while the alternative is "the evil option".

There's definitely "good" fire and bad fire, good dark and bad dark in this series yeah.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

It's really cool and good that I absolutely never get summoned with Blue Sentinels or Watchdogs.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it better to go with a faith scaling weapon or raw weapon for a faith/int miracle/pyromancy build? I'm ~SL 60 so I was considering focusing on HP, focus, and int/faith instead of splitting it with str/dex.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I forgot how rad these NPC invaders in the DS2 DLC were. They really took a step back with the DS3 ones which are incredibly uninspired.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Your Computer posted:

I'm all for it if it ends with an announcement that Bloodborne is coming to PC :pray:

Isn't Demon's Souls and Bloodborne on a contract with Sony? If that's the case then it never will come to PC.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I like watching speedruns of these games but the whole "constantly quit and reload to drop aggro" thing that seems to have suddenly sprung up for DS3 is incredibly weak and makes for boring viewing. Are there any runners doing a "no gratuitous quit and reloads except for maybe like a couple" category?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dromer posted:

Is it better to go with a faith scaling weapon or raw weapon for a faith/int miracle/pyromancy build? I'm ~SL 60 so I was considering focusing on HP, focus, and int/faith instead of splitting it with str/dex.

Only do the latter if you're planning to use weapon buffs a lot. Otherwise, I'd actually go with a simple infusion for the FP regen.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
So I wanted to start doing quick write-ups on undervalued weapons. You guys can feel free to completely ignore it or discuss it, it's up to you. I just wanted to have my opinions out in the open.

Dagger:

Recently the dagger is a weapon I have been having a lot and I mean A LOT of fun with, and not just as an offhand interrupt weapon so you can then pull off a huge combo with your 2-h sword, but as a main right-hand weapon/2-handed weapon.

The main appeal for this weapon is it's "amazing" weapon art Quickstep. Which lets you dip in and away/towards an opponent with a flick of the L2 (LT) button. You will quick step towards the direction the control stick is pushed, or directly forward if you are not holding the stick in a direction. During the entire quickstep, you have Iframes (kind of like with a roll). The important thing to note is that unlike a roll there is very little noticeable downtime after your quickstep and you can put yourself on the offensive immediately afterward. One of my favorite things is to roll towards a player to make them think I am going to go for the usual rolling attack, but the moment I have movement I will quick step towards their left or right side depending on what side they seemed to be favoring this match. This will usually throw them off, and let you get off a free hit, either because they were expecting you to attack and parried, or because they rolled away and your quickstep just put them right back in your range again. (Think of it this way, if you can predict when and where they are going to be rolling you can quick step right into their vicinity, and still get a free attack, instead of having to chase after them and risk not getting a clean attack.)

This, of course, is not a real and true expert level play weapon, because I have noticed that there are weapons that are part of the standard meta that completely obliterate this weapon. For one the Farron Greatsword with it's wonky attack patterns, and it's easy ability to combo off of ANY of the hits you can get make it a formidable foe, because during the majority of it's special 2-handed attack you are pretty much unable to get a clean hit due to it's Mega-Armor, and that is really the major downfall to the dagger. The Dagger relies on stumbling your opponent and getting off a clean 3 or 4 hit combo by mashing that R1 (RB) button. Weapons with Mega-Armor just prevent you from getting a clean combo, and trade SO MUCH better than the dagger. Of course, if you master positioning you will be stunned just how close you can get to the opponent and still deliver a good hit, and still have time to dip out of the way with a quickstep. (One of my favorite things to do is take advantage of the wind up for the BlackKnight Halberds spin, dip in and get a hit, then quickstep backward out of their range and just kite them back into your hit zone again for their next attempt)

The dagger demands mobility and light weight, so the current set up I am running is:
Full Shadow Garb
Dagger(+6 currently need to get more chunks)Sharp Modifier
Chloranthy ring
Pontiffs Right Eye (Increased damage with successive attacks, it's only a +15% at max, but it's really noticeable if the fight drags out longer than it should)
Flynn's Ring (increased damage when you have low equipment weight, It's not a gigantic amount with the full set, but it's enough that i've noticed a difference.)
Knight Slayer's Ring (Nothing is funnier than running into turtle noobs who take a few hits, and just decided to take pokes at you behind their shield. Not only does the combo you get off of them trying to tank you increase the multiplier on Right Eye, but it also drains their stamina real quick. I've gotten like 4 ripostes on people with heavy shields with 100% Melee reduction just because they decided to turtle longer than they should have)

I am currently not Meta SL, but my stats of note are 40 Dexterity, 32 endurance, and like 27 Vitality. I am planning a 40/40/40 build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mr Dog posted:

I like watching speedruns of these games but the whole "constantly quit and reload to drop aggro" thing that seems to have suddenly sprung up for DS3 is incredibly weak and makes for boring viewing. Are there any runners doing a "no gratuitous quit and reloads except for maybe like a couple" category?

they don't do it to drop aggro

most speedruns base it off the in-game time clock instead of a real timer, quitting the game during certain animations like the door opening animation causes the door to remain open when they load back in and saves them a few seconds of in-game time

of course doing this shaves off like 10 seconds max from a run but they're speedrunners, doing what they have to do to get that PB