Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rip is pretty drat unlikeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rip is completely unlikable. The actor is terrible and the character. With Carter gone he's easily the worst part of the show. And unfortunately the main character on it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

X-O posted:

Rip is completely unlikable. The actor is terrible and the character. With Carter gone he's easily the worst part of the show. And unfortunately the main character on it.

He's miscast as gently caress, which is a shame because Darvill isn't that bad an actor in a fitting role but he really doesn't work as actiondude.

Snart is the only character I like tbh, Palmer is distant second.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I still like Rory. I think what they did with his character makes sense - they found a way to keep him a part of the show without compromising his character. His irreconcilable differences really were, they didn't just decide "well, now he's a good guy."

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

Smart and Sara winning over girls throughout time.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sara Lance Time Lesbian is one of the better parts of this show

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A new Birds of Prey series should be made with Sara as the lead and her team/harem

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I like Stein. He plays the nerdy old man very well, and I like that he's really naive in some ways but also has a strong moral compass (despite having brought Jax on the trip against his will, which I blame on the terrible writers).

Jax is cool too. He had a rocky start but recovered rather quickly.

Snart and Rory are obviously awesome.

Sarah is cool, but I feel like her character is written wrong. She used to be one of the top assassins in LoA. I dislike the way the writers in this show are giving her the role of Kendra's confidante in girly matters, and the way the two of them lost their minds over that baby at the hospital was very :barf:

Rip is an unmitigated disaster, and I think he and Carter are one of the primary reasons the show is so weak.

Ray is likable, but both he and Kendra are being dragged down by the horrendous and creepy romance plot that's unfortunately central to the story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eh, the only reason they guy playing Jax isn't the worst actor on the show is because they cast the two dudes that play Rip and Carter. His character is one note, but the actor brings basically nothing to a one note character to try and salvage it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to know how much is the acting and how much is the characters on paper just sucking. Darvill was quite good on That Other Show but he wasn't an angst-ridden exposition machine either. The characters that come off best are the ones that are least related to the lovely plot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Darvill was also quite good in that other show with the actor from That Other Show but not the one he was on that show with at the same time, the other one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I hope the season ends with them going back to ancient Egypt but the ship fails and becomes the meteor that starts the whole thing over again in a time loop.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

enraged_camel posted:

Ray is likable, but both he and Kendra are being dragged down by the horrendous and creepy romance plot that's unfortunately central to the story.

What is it with all these shows and vanishing into a shithole of lame boring relationship drama anyway? Arrow did it and it loving sucked, Flash did it and it loving sucked, LOT is doing it and it loving sucks. When will they learn?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's incredibly easy to write. Have nothing else to fill an episode with? Throw in some contrived relationship drama and resolve it in the back half or the next episode! And it makes for lazy cliffhangers in lieu of actual stakes. There's also possibly some some network editorial edict for it because it's the CW and some old white guy in charge thinks it's what women want to watch.

So in other words, it's incompetence.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
So clearly a big chunk of the season has been a plot by Vandal Savage to lure a Time Master into handing him a time machine. And Rip just brought him onto a time machine, and left him un-sedated in a glass box. So that worked.

The only question left is "when did that plan start?" Did he only take over the world in the first place to provoke some dumb time traveler? Has it only been the past few decades, or has he been repeatedly trying world domination for thousands of years trying to get that outcome?

"Goddamn it, I've subjugated half the globe and still no time travelers. What does a guy gotta do for a little trans-temporal attention? gently caress it, burn the empire, I'll start over. Again."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xoidanor posted:

The number one rule of time travel fiction is, it has to make sense internally.

Doesn't really matter if it involves time travel or not, it applies to everything. Magic, technology, whatever. If the plot of one episode relies on it working a particular way, it can't work differently in the next episode unless you explain why.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

raditts posted:

What is it with all these shows and vanishing into a shithole of lame boring relationship drama anyway? Arrow did it and it loving sucked, Flash did it and it loving sucked, LOT is doing it and it loving sucks. When will they learn?

It's the network. They're simply pandering to their primary audience, which primarily consists of teenagers and young adults.

It's not that relationship drama is always boring and dumb. CW's writers are just really bad at writing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The same people do not write every CW show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Why does it matter? They're all equally retarded. At least the ones writing the DC shows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't really matter if it involves time travel or not, it applies to everything. Magic, technology, whatever. If the plot of one episode relies on it working a particular way, it can't work differently in the next episode unless you explain why.

I feel like it's more egregious in Time Travel fiction though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Xoidanor posted:

I feel like it's more egregious in Time Travel fiction though.

Why?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just is? I did pre-face it with I feel for a reason. :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

The DC shows share some staff though, don't they?
e: The superhero ones in the shared universe I mean.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 1, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

That's pretty obvious when you watch iZombie because their writing is tight as hell.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Robot Hobo posted:

So clearly a big chunk of the season has been a plot by Vandal Savage to lure a Time Master into handing him a time machine. And Rip just brought him onto a time machine, and left him un-sedated in a glass box. So that worked.

The only question left is "when did that plan start?" Did he only take over the world in the first place to provoke some dumb time traveler? Has it only been the past few decades, or has he been repeatedly trying world domination for thousands of years trying to get that outcome?

"Goddamn it, I've subjugated half the globe and still no time travelers. What does a guy gotta do for a little trans-temporal attention? gently caress it, burn the empire, I'll start over. Again."

If this is what his plot turns out to be I'm not forgiving everything but it would go a long way in my mind to redeem parts of the show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't want the plot to be literally the worst most overused villain cliche of the last ten years, "the villain got caught on purpose"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

greatn posted:

I don't want the plot to be literally the worst most overused villain cliche of the last ten years, "the villain got caught on purpose"

So you mean it's probably exactly that.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rip should have shot Carter in the head when Hawkgirl said she couldn't kill Savage.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

I don't know how you can think this when Kendra is on the show. They had a chance to salvage her when they killed off Carter, but then they went deep into the reincarnated lovers poo poo and created some terrible love triangle between her, Ray and Carter's loving ghost on top of all that.

Honestly I think Darvill handles the somber bits of Rip's character well enough, but he's not really an action lead type of guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kendra is probably a worse written character than Rip by a small margin, but the actress actually adds a little something to the lovely character whereas the guy playing Rip adds nothing of value.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like I wouldn't have as much sympathy for Savage destroying the world if not for Rip, so he has that going for him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Confident action lead is one of types of roles that I don't think Darvill can play

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Killing the hawks is what keeps Savage immortal, right? I mean it's not like he's just immortal and he does it for kicks, the fact that he tracks them down each time they reincarnate and kills them and sucks up their life mist or whatever is what keeps him going, right?

So couldn't you pick up 2016 Kendra (and Carter too I guess) and just set her down in 2150 or something with a new identity/life, knowing that no new hawks were born since 2016 (since they hadn't died) and Savage probably lost his immortality mojo and died an old man around 2060 or something?

Hell, shouldn't taking Kendra along on all these time ship adventures done that already, since she's been taken outside of the timeline?

e: I just realized that for some reason I thought there wasn't an episode this week, but talk of Carter coming back may torpedo my drat ramblings. :saddowns:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 2, 2016

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

nooneofconsequence posted:

Rip should have shot Carter in the head when Hawkgirl said she couldn't kill Savage.

Yep. Also he's dead to her already in her timeline so killing him in 2166 won't affect her life in the slightest once the mission is complete and they go back. Besides, he was a boring idiot so Savage locking his mind or whatever is probably a step up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

Killing the hawks is what keeps Savage immortal, right? I mean it's not like he's just immortal and he does it for kicks, the fact that he tracks them down each time they reincarnate and kills them and sucks up their life mist or whatever is what keeps him going, right?

So couldn't you pick up 2016 Kendra (and Carter too I guess) and just set her down in 2150 or something with a new identity/life, knowing that no new hawks were born since 2016 (since they hadn't died) and Savage probably lost his immortality mojo and died an old man around 2060 or something?

Hell, shouldn't taking Kendra along on all these time ship adventures done that already, since she's been taken outside of the timeline?

e: I just realized that for some reason I thought there wasn't an episode this week, but talk of Carter coming back may torpedo my drat ramblings. :saddowns:

Depends on how reincarnation works. You could die in 2166 and then reincarnate back to 2011. The Egyptian Magik won't be fooled by your time travel shenanigans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

enraged_camel posted:

Sarah is cool, but I feel like her character is written wrong. She used to be one of the top assassins in LoA. I dislike the way the writers in this show are giving her the role of Kendra's confidante in girly matters, and the way the two of them lost their minds over that baby at the hospital was very :barf:

Uh, that was baby Snart, so it was totally understandable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Uh, that was baby Snart, so it was totally understandable.

Hmm, was it?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Maybe next season can be Booster Gold reluctantly fixing the mistakes of his lovely son?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Martout posted:

Besides, he was a boring idiot so Savage locking his mind or whatever is probably a step up.
Also, assuming it's even true that Savage did something to Carter's mind, why would anyone possibly believe that only he can fix it? Yeah, Savage says so, but what does he know?

The Waverider has a medical system so advanced that it can re-grow a working hand in a matter of minutes. Gideon has medical knowledge far in advance of anything Savage could possibly know about. Time travel gives them pretty easy access to THE experts on medicine, psychiatry, brainwashing, and probably actual magic and telepathy. All that plus the fact that there is no reason Savage WOULD ever un-do whatever he did.

Or just kill Carter right now and pick him up again 5 minutes later by hopping forward another 30-some years, because it's clearly all the same, that's the entire point of Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WarLocke posted:

As far as it's been explained so far, yes.

greatn posted:

Depends on how reincarnation works. You could die in 2166 and then reincarnate back to 2011. The Egyptian Magik won't be fooled by your time travel shenanigans.
Worth giving it a shot, though. I mean, you could probably even use Kendra's past life memories (possibly with a bit of detective work) to grab even earlier ones. I think maybe killing Savage stops the hawks from reincarnating as well? But that's OK, that just makes them normal people and is what they're trying to do anyway.

• Locked thread