Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I really enjoy and am super impressed with all of your "Suppositories of DOOM" Neddy. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like we might finally be out of the bugfixing drought and starting to see some actual regular changes :peanut:.

quote:

Summary
This week's update introduces many new sounds for ships and vehicles in the game. We're also implementing HUD improvements and providing better modding support for sounds. Sounds are now determined by the size of the ship and type of vehicle. Small ships, large ships, and wheeled vehicles now all have their own unique sounds, and there are also unique sounds for gyros, thrusters, and reactors.
Cockpit sounds also now differ based on player perspective - in first person, you'll hear a 2D sound, but from a distance you'll hear a 3D sound. Each ship category has its own set of sounds and individual settings (volume, pitch range, etc.) and modders can now create and modify these ship categories.
Finally, HUD improvements mean that they now scale properly for resolution and multiple monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y8rjWl-3ZY

Features
- new ship/vehicle sounds
- better modding support for sounds
- HUD improvements

Fixes
- Argentavis Pirate Carrier now spawns less frequently
- added HUD marker icons explanation to F1 help screen
- fixed Space Master does not really delete floating objects
- fixed Health low and health critical voice warning not playing correctly
- fixed DS Configurator crash when there are no worlds saved
- fixed locked landing gear halves jump distance
- fixed ragdoll lost after switching models in medical room
- fixed HUD markers don't render correctly on extreme resolutions
- fixed graphics/HUD distortion
- fixed cryochamber sound still playing while far away from cryopod
- fixed "Body position" GPS point also appears after NPC dies on his body
- fixed vent sound is too loud
- fixed GPS markers should have their own icon

lilspooky posted:

I really enjoy and am super impressed with all of your "Suppositories of DOOM" Neddy. :haw:

They are clearly "Suppositories of Devastation", thank you very much :colbert:.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I can't seem to use SEToolbox to do anything with any of my saves. It just crashes every time I try and open one of them. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Fixed it. A mod file in AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Mods\ was corrupt or something :shrug:

Firos fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 30, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. A friend and I are playing on a survival server, and platinum sucks.

Not the finding part, the refining part. We have a refinery ship with 32 refineries on it and everything else gets crunched easily enough, but platinum just takes forever.... and someone dumped 700k platinum ore into one of the containers :v:

I mean, I get why uranium takes a while to refine, it's not something you need lots of, just tiny amounts for missiles and power. One large large thruster is like 400 Pt though.

Also, here's some content - the refinery ship we're building:

Speaking of refining, I have some 50k concrete slabs and 4M extra gravel, I need some ideas on what kind of station to build with it. Anyone have any good examples?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That looks great. You guys are living the dream.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

Ugh. A friend and I are playing on a survival server, and platinum sucks.

Not the finding part, the refining part. We have a refinery ship with 32 refineries on it and everything else gets crunched easily enough, but platinum just takes forever.... and someone dumped 700k platinum ore into one of the containers :v:

I mean, I get why uranium takes a while to refine, it's not something you need lots of, just tiny amounts for missiles and power. One large large thruster is like 400 Pt though.

Also, here's some content - the refinery ship we're building:

Speaking of refining, I have some 50k concrete slabs and 4M extra gravel, I need some ideas on what kind of station to build with it. Anyone have any good examples?

That is a thing of beauty :allears:. Does it fly in atmosphere, or are you using subcraft to get planet/moonside for mining?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tell me it's subcraft :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
We use subcraft to get in and out of atmospheres and really any gravity well. Apparently at max cargo it was going to need like 10 large hydrogen thrusters just to land on moons, so we abandoned that idea. I mean, it's not entirely undoable, but mining that much ice gets tedious.

I'll post more pictures once it's finished.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

We use subcraft to get in and out of atmospheres and really any gravity well. Apparently at max cargo it was going to need like 10 large hydrogen thrusters just to land on moons, so we abandoned that idea. I mean, it's not entirely undoable, but mining that much ice gets tedious.

I'll post more pictures once it's finished.

What, no subcraft pictures? :colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry! Didn't have any pictures of the other craft so I went and made them.

This thing looks neat but doesn't really do much except fly real loving fast. Or carry solar cells, because they're huge and light. But we stopped doing that because we have assemblers in space now so...

This thing can carry like 400 tons of whatever into orbit and still have fuel to spare. It's literally a rocket and takes off vertically :v:

Last but not least, the miner, which recently got upgraded from a 3x3 small drills to this thing (I wanted it earlier but we were low on platinum for a very long time):

It can't hover on the moon with full cargo in this (travel) configuration, but I can move half of the horizontal and all but one of the thrusters pointing up to point down at the drill (so 20 thrusters down), and then it can hover easily. Then I just dig vertical holes into the surface until I get to ore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I think I've got this base-building thing figured out :v:.

At least, I'd like to say that, but turns out there's currently a bug where blueprint blocks won't weld into existence inside a planet's surface, even when you can place them manually just fine :argh:.

I may have a few building types ready for the blueprinting ship if it gets fixed though. The three towers at the back are the usual cargo containers, hydrogen tanks and Large Reactors, and they're stackable. The cargo tower on the right's their actual projected blueprint. The prefab domes have connectors underneath or around them, so they network pretty easily.

The prefab domes are just empty rooms with internal vents and small reactors to do whatever you want with them.

Also we actually got hotfix notes this week;

quote:

Update 011
- fixed crash in network logic
- fixed crash when destroying pistons
- fixed crash when breaking rotors
- fixed crash in audio
- fixed crash when joining MP
- fixed build mode info showing in without build mode being turned on
- fixed cyberdogs eating characters backpack
- fixed ship able to jump inside of planet
- fixed typo in cubeblocks.sbc
- added DateTimeOffset to API whitelist
- updated bug report link, so now it leads directly to official Keen forum

Truga posted:

Last but not least, the miner, which recently got upgraded from a 3x3 small drills to this thing (I wanted it earlier but we were low on platinum for a very long time):

It can't hover on the moon with full cargo in this (travel) configuration, but I can move half of the horizontal and all but one of the thrusters pointing up to point down at the drill (so 20 thrusters down), and then it can hover easily. Then I just dig vertical holes into the surface until I get to ore.

How are you storing ore in it? Just in the drillhead itself?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Has it ever been possible to Merge Block a small grid to a large grid? I tried it tonight and was unsuccessful, but there's a pretty good chance I was doing something wrong.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How are you storing ore in it? Just in the drillhead itself?

Yep. The game seems to calculate cargo volume from the volume of the block. Even with just 9 vanilla drills, I had nearly half of the cargo capacity inside the drills, this with having 2 large containers on it. This thing holds like 800k ore though, so I dumped the containers entirely, apart from the small one I use as a connector mount and for easy inventory access.

XkyRauh posted:

Has it ever been possible to Merge Block a small grid to a large grid? I tried it tonight and was unsuccessful, but there's a pretty good chance I was doing something wrong.

What you can do is create a rotor on your small ship merge blocks, grind off the stator, and then "dock" the rotor into a big stator you ground the rotor off. There's probably mods now that do this more elegantly, too. Unfortunately, this isn't the same as merging, the general multiplayer glitchyness still applies to rotors, sadly. :shobon:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

How big is the 3 planet system map? planets look interesting, but I'm loathe to switch away from infinite survival worlds

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

All the planet starts are defaulted to infinite: low density, you can change it in World Generator menu for new worlds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The question can be asked; What happens if someone manages to get inside your Battlecarrier?

The answer is simple;

Keep looking back down the corridor...

Can they dodge bullets designed for killing missiles and starfighters? :orks101:

The ship also has the most important room possible now;

Its own Bar :v:.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Hope you enjoy repairing all the damage those are going to cause, heh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

Hope you enjoy repairing all the damage those are going to cause, heh.

That's what the welders embedded in the walls are for. Granted, they're mostly angled out toward the hull, but I can probably squeeze a few facing inward to kill unwary player crew while the ship fixes portions of itself.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's what the welders embedded in the walls are for. Granted, they're mostly angled out toward the hull, but I can probably squeeze a few facing inward to kill unwary player crew while the ship fixes portions of itself.

I feel like that would be a better defense than turrets everywhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week ships now go "clang" instead of "thunk". Also looks like Connectors are now capable of fully locking down ships like landing gear instead of drifting on them loosely.

quote:

Summary
This week we are adding collision/impact sounds for all metal objects - tools, components and ships. The final sound is dependent on the mass of the objects. Heavier items produce louder and more bassy sounds.
Also, music is now divided into different categories (space, planet, building, fighting etc) and played according to the current game situation e.g. building theme when building, fighting theme when fighting. Connectors should be much more stable after today's update as we have introduced something that we call "connector welding". They now function similar to landing gears where two ships connecting together will become one physical object. Finally, weapon spread has been added to the game.

Attention:
From Update 01.133 on, the game will need Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 to run. All dedicated server admins should update their .NET installations.
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981
If you are a regular player (and not a server admin) you do not need to worry. Steam will update .NET for you.
Thanks for your understanding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1ZX2CySm8

Features
- new collision sounds
- contextual music
- connector safety lock
- added ship weapons spread

Fixes
- fixed unstable connectors (first iteration)
- fixed rotor/piston top part is locked to the station even when it should not
- fixed ship sounds too loud
- fixed camera switching when it should not
- fixed camera getting into head during animations
- fixed sound of switching to builder mode is playing twice
- fixed reactor accepting things that are not uranium
- fixed drilling on DS is pretty hard
- fixed no ore generated when drilling in short bursts in Tutorial 5
- fixed look around not working in first person
- fixed slope construction models
- fixed suspension wheel construction models differ from final model
- fixed typing 'H' in chat shows/hides HUD markers
- fixed LCD screens not updating until switch off and on
- fixed voxel hand setting is not working
- fixed connectors sometimes fall off even after getting locked

edit:

While I remember, I actually finished the Hangar Decks.

The landing lights only activate when the external doors open.

On the main flight deck there's six landing pads towards the rear of the deck. The subcraft added are just to utterly tank what little framerate remains for show in the pics.

And towards the front are two longer cargo pads for the bigger Kingfisher and Caterpillar. At the far end are horizontal connectors for cargo pods, mining drones, and the Multipods.

The lower hangar bay's got eight pads and proper lighting now. At the far back is the door to the Manufacturing Cell to produce new subcraft or repair existing ones.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 6, 2016

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

quote:

Summary
Hey Engineers! In this week's update, we're bringing you a few important bug fixes. We fixed the autopilot not being able to turn itself off, and not being able to descend below 60 meters on Planets. We also fixed piston heads, rotor heads, and wheels detaching when reloading a world. Keep in mind that we're also working hard on optimizations and the netcode behind the scenes. This week we've also included something extra for modders - a Testing Tool and Animation Modding Tool.
Our new animation system includes the Animation Controller Editor, which allows modders to create animation controllers in a graphical user interface and even debug them live in the game. Keep in mind that for now, this tool is only for character animation modding.
Testing Tool is a simple application for recording and playing back a saved game. It was originally created for internal use to help us test scenarios and understand how things work in the game, but modders can use the tool to help them see how changes to their code, mods, or scripts can affect the outcome of a particular saved game. The tool can also be used by anyone who has a Keen Software House game to run and play back your games, and to give us your feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90oYhP2o-w

Features
- Testing tool: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682831151
- Animation Modding tool: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682814593

Fixes
- fixed rotors detached when paired with Landing Gear or safety lock
- fixed two music tracks playing at the same time
- fixed autopilot won't turn itself off
- fixed wheels fall off in planetary tutorial 4
- fixed new prefabs are not working in mods
- fixed camera shaking when in jetpack or passenger seat
- fixed different ship sound in passenger seat and remote next to each other
- fixed sensors detecting rotor top part as enemy
- fixed spawned as spectator when suffocating in cockpit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well it's patch time again and... what the... :eyepop:.

Goddamn, that new Jump Drive effect :allears:. Would've liked to see what it looks like jumping in as well as out though.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Goddammit zennik! Neddy LIVES for Thursday to update the thread and you stole his thunder! :mad:

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

lilspooky posted:

Goddammit zennik! Neddy LIVES for Thursday to update the thread and you stole his thunder! :mad:

I waited and waited, and didn't see him post them!

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Since it doesn't seem to have its own thread: anyone tried Empyrion? Looks like another voxel-based survival/sandbox thingie in this same vein; wondering how it compares.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost of Starman posted:

Since it doesn't seem to have its own thread: anyone tried Empyrion? Looks like another voxel-based survival/sandbox thingie in this same vein; wondering how it compares.

It has a free weekend going on, so why not give it a try and see for yourself? That's what I'm planning to do later after some DOOM.

Also the usual Friday hotfix dropped;

quote:

Update 006
- fixed crash when grinding turret
- fixed crash when leaving faction
- fixed crash when in MOD API (IMyEntityController.ControlledEntityChanged exception)
- fixed reloading warning is missing in small ship missile turret
- fixed collectors are not pushing items
- fixed rotating Spotlight not changing direction

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It has a free weekend going on, so why not give it a try and see for yourself?

Initial Empyrion Trip Report:
T- 00.00.00 - Crash landed on alien planet.
T+ 00.00.30 - Encountered friendly alien triceratops. 10/10 GOTY. :haw:
T+ 00.40.00 - Forced to kill indigenous triceratops for meat. 0/10 :(

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
I made a space van or something.

It handles like a brick shack.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

RabidGolfCart posted:

It handles like a brick shack.

Well, to be fair...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

Well, to be fair...

Yeah, that sounds like mission accomplished to me.

What do you think? Too much?

Also trying to build a better, cheaper, sky/space crane.

Hmm, it's missing something... Oh right, thrusters for lifting stuff up.

The Hydrogen and Atmosphere Engines are for getting stuff off the ground, the Azimuth BIG thrusters are for hauling stuff around in space. They add a bunch more gyroscopes and an extra jump drive apiece, so it's also for lugging big pieces of wrecked ships about. There's two connectors on the rear of the craft for mounting two rows of cargo pods about, or a pair of mining drones, incidentally. It's basically a Space Tug.

Or it can do something as simple as recovering/carrying tanks and cars.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do you think? Too much?
Makes me think of Warzone 2100. :)

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
It's patch day!

Could somebody explain to me what "ModAPI" exactly is?

Also Neddy, in your ships, the Azimuth thrusters are they "fair" or do they work in both atmosphere and space?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

It's patch day!

Also Neddy, in your ships, the Azimuth thrusters are they "fair" or do they work in both atmosphere and space?

I'm at work, I'll add patch notes to the OP later today if someone else is itching to post them now. ModAPI is the infrastructure code to let modders do things properly with blocks like call functions to do things they want them to do, etc. It's how things like the Nanite factory are made.

And Azimuth thrusters work just fine in atmosphere and space, screw "fairness" and fly in style :dukedog:. They also make hovering a hell of a lot easier too, because atmospheric thruster output still scales off a fixed altitude from the center of the planet. Which generally means you can take off from the bottom of a deep valley but not halfway up the side.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I had no clue that's how the atmo thrusters functioned. That explains a lot of stupidity I've encountered. Well drat!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lilspooky posted:

It's patch day!

Going by my extremely limited programming knowledge I assume the modAPI is the "key" for modders to access a selected part of the programmed infrastructure of the game, with infrastructure being the bundled mathematical and logical functions which defines stuff like block properties, physical properties or collision detection. In the end the modAPI is a programming toolbox which would allow one to make fancier mods more easily and more well integrated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Patch time!

quote:

Summary
This week's update brings you several improvements for modders that we've merged from our community on GitHub, plus more bugfixes. From Tyrsis we have production API changes and terminal changes, so modders can now create their own terminal interfaces such as buttons, sliders, etc. Another addition is Malware's Ship Data update and remote control fixes that makes Coop mode work when a conveyor block (or any block that doesn't have an owner) is between the master and slave assemblers. And last but not least, we have Rexxar's projector ModAPI changes which have added more ModAPI interface to the projection API.
Our GitHub source code has also been updated.
Many thanks to our entire community for helping us develop the game and raise the bar for modding possibilities. We're simply in awe of all the mods and creations you guys publish on the Workshop :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K6xpWo_22M

Features
- modders can now create their own terminal interfaces (by Tyrsis)
- production API changes (by Tyrsis)
- projector ModAPI changes (by Rexxar)
- added ship mass, velocity and gravity information to IMyShipController (by Malware)
- source code on GitHub updated to current version

Fixes
- remote control fixes by (Malware)
- fixed issue with welders repairing themselves
- fixed switching colors even when bar is not visible
- fixed faction tags GUI spacing
- fixed the infamous rotor gap
- fixed HUD markers being distorted after restart on triple monitor resolution
- fixed issues with rolling ships while holding ALT
- fixed incorrect damage from rockets
- fixed crash when loading into a scenario
- fixed mass of welded ships being broken on grid modification
- fixed issues with basic tutorial 1
- fixed various soundblock issues

I think I'm gonna start sticking what each week's teaser is in a section of the OP, just to fill out the up-and-coming section a bit.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

quote:

- modders can now create their own terminal interfaces (by Tyrsis)

This is big for mods. It should help with some cludgy hacks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We've got one of those nice fun bugs this week that I just stumbled into; Welders won't build projections (:rant:)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We've got one of those nice fun bugs this week that I just stumbled into; Welders won't build projections (:rant:)

I think that one is just hand held welders right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zudgemud posted:

I think that one is just hand held welders right?

Nooope, ship welders too.

• Locked thread