Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The dogdish one is interesting because for some reason some of them have a warning for "Not for human use."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Mason jars are just fine for poo poo like OJ and tea.

Tea needs to be in something with a handle so you don't burn your hands.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Ice tea?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cyberia posted:

The two dumplings in a tiny shopping cart is pretty loving funny.

What's that in the dish underneath them?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's soy sauce. Have you ever had pot stickers before?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I kinda dig the corn cob bolts.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

I'd be really loving pissed off if I got served my food at a restaurant in a god damned dog bowl.

Not as pissed off as if I'd gotten this, though:

gently caress. You.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

That's soy sauce. Have you ever had pot stickers before?

It looked like it was in one of those little containers fast food places have their condiments in.

And probably not. I have a poor sense of taste and don't care for Chinese or Mexican food. Among many other things. :negative:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Was this a thing when that Simpsons joke was made or did an entire food culture somehow take it seriously?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

GrandpaPants posted:

Was this a thing when that Simpsons joke was made or did an entire food culture somehow take it seriously?

Short answer: London.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cyberia posted:

The two dumplings in a tiny shopping cart is pretty loving funny.

Yeah, I'd be happy to eat those

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disney's done some experimenting with unusual serving methods, but usually in good ways. Disney Springs recently opened a bar that's themed as being owned by Jock, the pilot from the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's all 1930s pulp adventure and aviation on the inside and on the menu and has a lot of references to stuff like The Rocketeer. If you order the pretzels, they come like this:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tiggum posted:

I got great news

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I got great news

That's not great news at all. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In my world we use mason jars for pickling and preserves. Yeah, it's gonna be the next big thing, bet you never knew you could use 'em for that!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It sounds kind of tasty

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

chitoryu12 posted:

Disney's done some experimenting with unusual serving methods, but usually in good ways. Disney Springs recently opened a bar that's themed as being owned by Jock, the pilot from the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's all 1930s pulp adventure and aviation on the inside and on the menu and has a lot of references to stuff like The Rocketeer. If you order the pretzels, they come like this:

Yeah, and what I can say for certain is that was both manufactured to serve food, as well actually convenient to eat from and clean.

Unlike a 2x4 used to serve yogurt.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My old roommate once threw a party and she served punch and supplied cups. One of her guests brought a Mason jar in her purse and drank punch from that instead. She also would put the lid on the jar between drinks. It was very strange.

Post poste posted:

This is an anti-date rape drug strategy, fwiw.

A lack of commitment is what it is :colbert:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, and what I can say for certain is that was both manufactured to serve food, as well actually convenient to eat from and clean.

Unlike a 2x4 used to serve yogurt.

As a dishwasher, that's what baffles me about these bizarre plating techniques. How the hell do you pass a sanitation inspection like that? We get inspected weekly, and the inspector is all about rubbing the pots & pans to make sure they're not greasy, spot checking plates for the the tiniest bit of dried-on egg, finding silverware with spots, etc.

Obviously my Army cafeteria isn't serving artisan SOS on actual shingles. But I don't get how you can serve food in a shoe or a dog dish labeled "not for use by humans" and get away with it, strictly from a Health Dept view. The little shopping cart maybe gets a pass because that looks like something you can toss in the machine and let the 190 degree water do its job. Same for poo poo like bricks and slate slabs, though I pity those poor dishwashers who have to load loving ROCKS into a machine. :(

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Post poste posted:

This is an anti-date rape drug strategy, fwiw.

It's terrible that a guest in my own house felt the need to do this. :smith:

On a lighter note, last night I thought of this thread when I went to this German bar by my house and they served me a pretzel on a bamboo cutting board. At least when they brought out a bratwurst for my husband it was on a plate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Lovely Horse posted:

A lack of commitment is what it is :colbert:

I bought an old stein at one of those kitsch shops. Steins are apparently serious business when trying to google it.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

If I was served this, I would leave without paying. I'm not paying my hard earned dollars to eat something out of a GOD drat DOG BOWL, it looks like a tactic to break a POW's will.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

The dogdish one is interesting because for some reason some of them have a warning for "Not for human use."

Possibly because they can't guarantee that the contents of the material they're made out of meet standards for human food use. Heavy metals and poo poo. It's probably more a liability issue than "hey this will poison the poo poo out of your pet" though.

Either way if I had something served to me in a dog bowl (and it wasn't advertised or labeled as such) I would chuck it on the floor and walk out. poo poo is demeaning.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
What if it is a whacky dog-themed restaurant?

Also if so, why the hell did you even go inside.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As a dishwasher, that's what baffles me about these bizarre plating techniques. How the hell do you pass a sanitation inspection like that? We get inspected weekly, and the inspector is all about rubbing the pots & pans to make sure they're not greasy, spot checking plates for the the tiniest bit of dried-on egg, finding silverware with spots, etc.

Obviously my Army cafeteria isn't serving artisan SOS on actual shingles. But I don't get how you can serve food in a shoe or a dog dish labeled "not for use by humans" and get away with it, strictly from a Health Dept view. The little shopping cart maybe gets a pass because that looks like something you can toss in the machine and let the 190 degree water do its job. Same for poo poo like bricks and slate slabs, though I pity those poor dishwashers who have to load loving ROCKS into a machine. :(

They probably just serve it in the unique thing once and then throw the unique thing out?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mu Zeta posted:

It sounds kind of tasty

This will not keep well at all.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

GenericOverusedName posted:

What if it is a whacky dog-themed restaurant?

Also if so, why the hell did you even go inside.

Are there enough furries for furry themed restaurants to survive?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I always wondered what would possibly turn me into one of those stereotypical angry customers who start cursing at the restaurant waitstaff before storming out.

Now, I know what it is.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm glad I wasn't alone with my "storm out without paying" reaction to that picture. That stray bean on the rim is the final straw that is the ultimate "gently caress you" to the customer - they didn't even care to take the extra couple seconds to plate it properly, they just took an ice cream scoop and plopped that poo poo in

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Apart from the symbolism, which really is enough, they either expect you to make horrible metal-on-metal scratching noises with the cutlery, or they don't give you any, and I'm trying to come to a conclusion what would be worse.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Have some more, these are from UK, US and Mexico:

Also here's a menu from one of them:

It's basically the next logical step in the 'woah, how unhealthy and disgusting our food is, loving dirty burgers amirite - eat from a dog bowl you piece of poo poo'. Next year they'll be just throwing it all on the floor.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002
I too would storm out if I went into a themed restaurant that makes their kitschy conceit clear before I ordered, and then they delivered that exact thing I ordered and knew I'd receive.

Jesus Christ.

Edit: I've also been to a couple goon meets, and the sort of people that show up to a bowling alley with their laptops to play Diablo and not talk to anybody should probably be forced to eat out of a dog bowl everywhere they go.

epsilon-6 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 2, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The pictures were given without the context of menus, and with surprise bird nests and pine needles and slabs of wood I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere did it without warning

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is a dog bowl really any worse than buying a $10 cocktail served in a mason jar

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mu Zeta posted:

Is a dog bowl really any worse than buying a $10 cocktail served in a mason jar

Yes because mason jars are at least fit for human use while apparently dog bowls are not.

Although I strongly suspect the last not because of any inherent poison in the dog bowl's materials but because it's used to hold animal-quality food and the residue might make humans ill if not washed properly. I am not a dog bowl expert, I only studied cat and fish bowls.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes because mason jars are at least fit for human use while apparently dog bowls are not.

Although I strongly suspect the last not because of any inherent poison in the dog bowl's materials but because it's used to hold animal-quality food and the residue might make humans ill if not washed properly. I am not a dog bowl expert, I only studied cat and fish bowls.

It's literally impossible to make food-grade bowl with an extra ring around it to stop fat goons from knocking over their chili as they wolf it down with lightning speed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The dog bowl thing is dumb as hell, but debating over if eating out of one is dangerous for a human is even dumber.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Palpek posted:

It's basically the next logical step in the 'woah, how unhealthy and disgusting our food is, loving dirty burgers amirite - eat from a dog bowl you piece of poo poo'. Next year they'll be just throwing it all on the floor.

eat the dog bowl food off of the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

It's a pretty dumb gimmick, IMO. I think I'm more grossed out by the saucy meals served on wooden boards, though. Something about it irks me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wooden boards are fine for charcuterie/salumi plates and cheese. Putting saucy stuff on there is just asking for a mess.

• Locked thread