Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, they obviously gave the Jeyne Poole storyline to Sansa because nobody watching the show knows who the gently caress Jeyne Poole is and nothing interesting happens to Sansa after Littlefinger pushes Lysa out the moon door anyway; it was a narrative economy thing and attempt to get us to care more about a storyline, just like sending Jaime to Dorne

They just do them for mechanical reasons instead of good narrative ones, and it has a lot of consequences I don't think they even foresee (for example, making Sansa's wedding night more about Theon's horror than Sansa's, which would play a bit better if the victim was some character we barely knew anything about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Benjen tortures Willas to find out who took Lyanna, makes him "learn his name" (Hodor, Hodor rhymes with Hodor)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LabyaMynora posted:

Maybe Dan and David are just sick of this show, only ever hoped to do the show up through the Red Wedding, and now would rather move on to another project. HBO wants 10 seasons. George R.R. Martin wants 10 seasons. Dan and David are the ones who want poo poo accelerated to get this show over with.

Does that include books because if so loving lol at GRRM thinking he'll even make it that far

At this point every fan of his has to be thinking they're lucky if he even finishes the current book he's "working" on

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

LabyaMynora posted:

If Book Ramsey really does kill Book Roose, there's no way it happens like what we saw tonight.

I think some of what we're seeing is the equivalent of giving the Jeyne Poole storyline to Sansa. It makes no loving sense, and it messes up her character arc. Maybe Doran dies, but not by the Sand Snakes, maybe Roose dies, but not by Ramsey.

I kinda expect Book Ramsay to kill Book Roose too, but more of like in an unexpected outburst that neither of them expected. Granted it's been 4 or 5 years since I read DwD, but I seem to remember that the only time Ramsay acted like an adult and not like a psycho kid was around Roose, and it was hinted that he respected him out of fear, kinda like how Theon was afraid of Ramsay enough not to stab him while he was shaving him.

Maybe Roose calls him shithead and failure one too many times till he snaps and stabs him.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

LabyaMynora posted:

Thinking about the books, Melisandre, Shireen and Stannis's wife are all at Castle Black, while Davos is traveling the North playing diplomat, and Stannis is getting ready for war outside of Winterfell. Pretty sure Melisandre will end up burning Shireen to resurrect Jon because Jon is now her Azor Ahai, while convincing Mrs. Stannis that it's what the Lord of Light wants, or that it will help Stannis.

So the show kind of ruins Stannis's character by having him burn his own daughter, and Davos's character by having him beg Mel to resurrect Jon, someone who Davos shouldn't give that many shits about.

Definitely feels like the show just has a vague checklist of major events, and they're now just going through them one by one and mixing/matching poo poo.

If Book Ramsey really does kill Book Roose, there's no way it happens like what we saw tonight.

I think some of what we're seeing is the equivalent of giving the Jeyne Poole storyline to Sansa. It makes no loving sense, and it messes up her character arc. Maybe Doran dies, but not by the Sand Snakes, maybe Roose dies, but not by Ramsey.

Oh, and Barriston Selmy.

Maybe some of these characters don't even die. Maybe they're just cutting budget by offing recurring characters and/or getting rid of actors who they (rightly or wrongly) think are a pain in the rear end.

Maybe Dan and David are just sick of this show, only ever hoped to do the show up through the Red Wedding, and now would rather move on to another project. HBO wants 10 seasons. George R.R. Martin wants 10 seasons. Dan and David are the ones who want poo poo accelerated to get this show over with.

this is a lot of words to write when you could've just said "Hey guys I totally loving suck" instead.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
Hey guys, dae think this tv show sucks and the books totally rule? Downvote me if you must.

iSqueezeCats
Jan 1, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Overall it was an enjoyable episode.

The Bolton stuff is stupid. Ramsey getting away with literally anything he wants forever is stupid. The only thing that was majorly foreshadowed was that Roose and Ramsey couldn't both continue to live. The writers chose the shittier, less interesting option. Smug oval office Karstark being cool and still loyal to the mad dog just because he's mad at a Stark who's been dead forever is also stupid.

I'm guessing it's the only way to move the plot forward at a reasonable speed. Before Roose was killed, Ramsay was talking about sending a Bolton army to the wall to kill Jon and get Sansa back

Roose is way more prudent, and there's no good way they can write him to be a retard, just like there's also no good way to write a garrison of 3000 Bolton men losing Winterfell to some ragtag Wildlings

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

That must have been written before GRRM made the Northerners care so much about guest right.

Greatjon threatened him and question Robb's right to rule, and his dog bite off fingers from a hand he raised. It was kinda like an ironic sign from God for a touh son of bitch like Greatjon

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

the way I understood it, the karstark guy was inside Ramsay plan, that's why he didn't looked even a bit surprised. Probably because he wanted to follow Ramsay idea of storming Castle Black to kill Jon and Sansa and knew Roose would never allow it,

Overall a good episode, quite better than the last one. Ramsay stuff wasn't has stupid as I thought it was going to be, since at least he took precautions to hide all his kinslaying.

Tyrion was cool, Wun Wun was awesome, Bran was interesting, KL was kinda meh (the faith guys always looks so dumb), Arya was boring (seems like she already passed the blind training phase, with no cat warging nor anything fun), Iron Island stuff was at least fast, and Euron looks cool (but he would be cooler with the eyepatch), and finally Jon is alive again.

And nothing was in the sand snakes level of lovely. This season looks better than the last already

Yeah, book Karstarks are just as opportunistic and disloyal - Arnolf Karstarck pledges his support to Stannis in hopes that the Lannisters will execute Harrion Karstark, and then plans to betray Stannis at the battle on the lake.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Rewatching the episode, just noticed they renamed the Seastone Chair into the "SALT THRONE" for whatever reason :lol:

This is going to see so much use in MMO forums.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
As someone who is (rightfully) harsh on the past two seasons I thought that was a good episode. The Ramsay stuff was dumb as hell but apart from that some good scenes and Euron looks like he's gonna be pretty cool. They played that well.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

God, Ramsay is just the lamest loving character.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This episode was so much better than last week's trash 5x11. Kingsmoot plot owns, Mel throwing some pube beard hair into fire and praying desperately owns, long scene of dragons owns.

Lord Bolton was utter shite but it's beyond saving.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lezard_valeth posted:

Rewatching the episode, just noticed they renamed the Seastone Chair into the "SALT THRONE" for whatever reason :lol:

This is going to see so much use in MMO forums.

I dunno, the salt throne seems like a pretty fitting term for anything the greyjoys sit on.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LabyaMynora posted:

Thinking about the books, Melisandre, Shireen and Stannis's wife are all at Castle Black, while Davos is traveling the North playing diplomat, and Stannis is getting ready for war outside of Winterfell. Pretty sure Melisandre will end up burning Shireen to resurrect Jon because Jon is now her Azor Ahai, while convincing Mrs. Stannis that it's what the Lord of Light wants, or that it will help Stannis.

So the show kind of ruins Stannis's character by having him burn his own daughter, and Davos's character by having him beg Mel to resurrect Jon, someone who Davos shouldn't give that many shits about.

Definitely feels like the show just has a vague checklist of major events, and they're now just going through them one by one and mixing/matching poo poo.

Oh, and Barriston Selmy.

Maybe some of these characters don't even die. Maybe they're just cutting budget by offing recurring characters and/or getting rid of actors who they (rightly or wrongly) think are a pain in the rear end.

But book Sansa doesn't have a character arc so who cares.

I am not sure Mel burning Shireen to revive Jon is better plot than what plays out in the show. That would basically make Mel an competent witch and justify her killing of Shireen. It makes book Stannis a reasonable guy sure, but people only like the show Stannis because Stephen Dillane is so awesome.

Isn't the Selmy actor basically a nagging book reader? I would kill him off the first chance I get too.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Yeah he was specifically very shifty and unsure with his actions, he wasn't planning any of this.

that's how the scene seemed to me, but in the Talking About the SHow or whatever it's called, D&D said the intent was for this to be the climax of an (off-screen) master-level scheme. "That Karstark didn't seem surprised so he was definitely in on Ramsay's plan"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why does legitimized Ramsay care about this second born son?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I thought it was a good episode until I came here. All of the criticizing posts made good points. Now everything seems silly and ridiculous about it.

For example, I didn't think much about it as it was happening but now that someone mentioned it, it is loving stupid that Theon wants to go home. What does he plan to do there? He should absolutely never leave Sansa's side until she's safely with Jon and then accept his beheading.

Theon's interactions with Sansa were my favorite part of this season. Now he may be as useless as Jaime was in Dorne. Or worse, Ramsay will capture him again. gently caress Dave Hill.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zVxTeflon posted:

idk how it works in westeros/the north but it's possible that that'd present a very serious challenge whenever roose dies especially if there's no evidence on paper anywhere that ramsay is legit or whatever

it's most likely just because ramsay is a psychopathic weirdo, which is why ramsay does everything, which is why he's wearing so thin on people

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zVxTeflon posted:

Because Roose could decide Ramsay sucks and kill him and let the other son be the heir.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Why did nobodu care that there was a Targaryean at the wall forever. Why does Renly try to take the throne when it should be Stannis. Why does Stannis try to take the throne when it should be Joffery. Where the gently caress is Rickon and Natalie Tena Why does anyone care about anything. Because nothing means anything and it's the guy with the bigger sword who wins.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When Karstark didn't react, I thought they were gonna throw a quick bone to the Alys stuff with a "About what we discussed earlier, you're right, your niece isn't an appropriate head of House Karstark."

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That and the Freys probably have more men at this point and would love to make one of their own Warden of the North.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Season 6 trailer question - are there any images/clips of Theon that we haven't seen on the show yet? I can't think of any Theon moments that weren't from eps 1 or 2...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

zVxTeflon posted:

Either because it makes him expendable (perhaps even killable) to Roose, or he's taking a long view of maybe 20 years in the future, this half-brother of his will raise an army and seek to overthrow him on account of him being born a bastard and legitimized after the fact. That's even more likely if this hypothetical Ramsey was an unpopular leader, which of loving course he would be because he's Ramsey.

Of course the latter requires Ramsey to plan ahead more than 15mins, so it's probably more the former.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

When Ramsay dies, who's going to be the next/final big bad

Or is it just going to be "how long can everyone else last against the Walkers before they inevitably triumph and good finally reaches the lands"

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Maybe I've subconsciously lowered my expectations, but I felt that it was a pretty decent episode aside from the Boltons and Theon 'going home'

Is it pretty much confirmed that the 'gift' Ramsey gets next week is Rickon? Because him getting caught offscreen is just lame and it makes that extra's spoiler post look more and more real.

At least we're getting the Tower of Joy next week

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Chris James 2 posted:

Or is it just going to be "how long can everyone else last against the Walkers before they inevitably triumph and good finally reaches the lands"

Ramsay -> Euron -> White Walkers -> show ends

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

Ramsay -> Euron -> White Walkers -> show ends

Littlefinger as well

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I guess Oshas dead. killed off screen never to be seen again

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can someone tell me these leaks everyone is talking about

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chris James 2 posted:

Daenerys

Kusagari
Oct 13, 2012
I seriously hate Ramsay to the point that he's ruining the entire show.

What a poo poo character

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

I guess Oshas dead. killed off screen never to be seen again

rip Tonks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ps4oREka88

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The thought of Osha dying off-screen after Natalia Tena made GRRM want to expand her role is hilarious.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

So the show kind of ruins Stannis's character

Im always baffled when people say this. Book stannis is a raging psycho from the very first time you see him, yet for some reason people in here think the show has turned a good guy into a bad guy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So in 10, 20 years we're going to get a show called A Song of Ice & Fire that simply starts after Tywin's death and shows us what really happened to all our favorite characters and plotlines, right? Because all this poo poo that isn't Jon's storyline is loving terrible.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Ramsay is feeding people to his dogs to prevent them being raised as wights. He is the greatest lord in the world.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The actor that plays Rickon posted this picture some time during filming

Regarding Kings Landing and Clegane Bowl, did the High Sparrow ever say that Cersei would get a trial? It kinda sounds like the walk of punishment was it for her on the show and given that they cut the valonquar part from the prophecy (which in the books is really, really important to explain a lot of her behavior) there is a decent chance that her death on the show will be different from the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TheRat posted:

Im always baffled when people say this. Book stannis is a raging psycho from the very first time you see him, yet for some reason people in here think the show has turned a good guy into a bad guy.

Stannis's turn from the show trying to characterize him as a loving but clueless dad into a daughter slayer is a little weird and he should've had the reservations, not the wife (who is depicted in the book and show as more of a fanatic than Stannis)

But there's definitely a thing where ppl who read these books sometimes take characters at face value or believe what they or other people say about them without scrutinizing it

• Locked thread