Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also the secret to beating Katana guy is to stand on a ledge below him and watch him throw himself off the cliff

then reset the level and come back and pick up the loot from where he was standing

The secret is to honorably duel him by hitting him four times with a straight sword, backing off, waiting for your Stamina to regen, and then returning to repeat the same process until he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

You nerds read too deep into this. Consider how similar the undead plebes in the UD settlement (i.e. A lovely undead burg) look to the townsfolk in Bloodborne. Long rear end arms, guttural, bestial screaming and even pitch forks. FROM was just lazy and reused assets from Bloodborne to flesh this one out. They used Nito parts for an ambiguously evil Lich like guy.

Nobody ate the literal God of death you tards lol

whys the guy struggling to even reach that boss commenting on that boss

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vermain posted:

The secret is to honorably duel him by hitting him four times with a straight sword, backing off, waiting for your Stamina to regen, and then returning to repeat the same process until he dies.

that's not nearly as funny and not nearly as viable for someone just starting out

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

then, is there really a poise ring?

there is, which is the worst part!

There's a couple of things left in the game explicitly interacting with a system that basically doesn't exist in any usable capacity

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Toady posted:

Your argument that the undead have long arms has convinced me.

Good.

Toady posted:

Your argument that the undead have long arms has convinced me.

Sorry if facts upset you 'Toady' :smugbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vermain posted:

I have to ask: what specifically about the PVE experience makes it the best? I don't ask this to be confrontational or snarky, but as an honest curiosity. I felt that the PVE was by and large no better or worse than DS2 and a mild improvement over DS1. Some of the areas like Cathedral stood out, but the majority of areas (like Irithyll) were long, dull hallways with a small handful of shortcuts thrown in for some DS1 flavor. Enemy designs were mostly just "guys with complicated series of attacks" again and were easily defeated with the stock standard strategies I've been pulling out since DS1. It felt mostly like it was treading water rather than advancing the series in a meaningful way.

The setpieces in this game are generally of very high quality. The first view of Irithyll when you emerge from Wolnir's room, the blood red sky with the eclipse and the hosed up pilgrim butterflies flying around when you arrive in Lothric Castle, the sudden realization of what's going on when you're first exploring Untended Graves, the entry to Nameless King's boss fight, arriving in the field of flowers at the end of the Kiln and seeing what awaits you there; these are all really good and punchy. Similarly, the bosses are generally very high quality on your first run. Fighting bosses like Sulyvahn, Champion Gundyr, Nameless King, and Soul of Cinder for the first time were some of my absolute favorite experiences in the entire series, especially Soul of Cinder. It doesn't innovate, but it's an incredibly high quality execution of an established formula and is a fine sendoff to a series that is over.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kanos posted:

After playing through the game a few times, the game definitely has the best PvE experience in the Dark Souls series but man oh man I'm starting to dislike everything else about it. The weapon balance is terrible, building for magic is awful and horribly restrictive, the online connectivity is the worst it's been since Dark 1, and NG+ adds literally nothing to the game besides slightly stronger rings.

I definitely don't regret my purchase at all and the game is really good, but man it's like they actively ignored everything they had learned from making Dark Souls 2/Scholar when they made this.

I absolutely love PVP in this game, connectivity can be an issue but overall fights are much smoother for me than I or II. The weapon balance is bad but there are good alternatives to straight and piercing swords - for me the best are Greataxes. Some of the crazy battles with 4 or 5 factions at a time are the most fun I've ever had in Souls PVP. You're definitely right about magic and NG+ though.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Babe Magnet posted:

there is, which is the worst part!

There's a couple of things left in the game explicitly interacting with a system that basically doesn't exist in any usable capacity

poise in ds2 was my favorite thing :(

being able to be a naked dude punching people and winning was amazing and the fact i cannot do that in this game is actually making me like it less

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Something I wonder, why is everything so flipping huge? Looking at the cathedral leaves you gobs,asked at the scale of it. Like looking up at the walls of the Grand Canyon from the Colorado river. Then you're inside and see normal sized furniture and doors that only a normal person could hope to use. Certainly not these knights who are 9 foot tall. Yet, even these 9 foot knights couldn't use the stuff in these enormous cities.

Is it just an artistic technique to ladle atmosphere into my ear?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

It's easier to draw him to the cliff, roll through is attacks until he runs out of stamina, and kick him till he flies. If he's out of stamina you can chain kick him easily.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I miss poise too, but that's still mostly possible. The new thing isn't "get hit, keep going", it's "keep going, don't get hit". Weapons with short reach like the first weapons work best when utilizing hit and run tactics.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Wait, so it's true that Poise does literally nothing no matter how much of it you have? Why is it still in the game then?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Something I wonder, why is everything so flipping huge? Looking at the cathedral leaves you gobs,asked at the scale of it. Like looking up at the walls of the Grand Canyon from the Colorado river. Then you're inside and see normal sized furniture and doors that only a normal person could hope to use. Certainly not these knights who are 9 foot tall. Yet, even these 9 foot knights couldn't use the stuff in these enormous cities.

The player character is actually very small. Like, hamster sized. It's important to the lore. Just look at your size compared to the cat in ds2.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's supposed to make you feel like an intruder in cities and halls built for the gods. The architecture towers over as a physical reminder of the stature of the gods compared to men.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

For those like me for whom Dark Souls 3 was their first Dark Souls and they want to play the back log, Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin(Expansion+ all DLC) is on sale at the moment.

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/dark-souls-ii-scholar-of-the-first-sin-steam-key--1003-3

The price is in Euros but that is like $17. I bought it a few minutes ago and got a steam key. It is like $40 on Steam so it seems like a good chance to pick it up. The price expires in 17 hours.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

lite_sleepr posted:

it's just reused assets, friend, pay it no mind

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Slate Action posted:

Wait, so it's true that Poise does literally nothing no matter how much of it you have? Why is it still in the game then?

There are reports that it does something stupid like increase the amount of ultra armor you have during some heavy weapon attacks by a miniscule amount but other than that, nah dude. You can test this by going and grabbing your heaviest armor and chillin' by the dudes at the very beginning of the game. Or going up against some rats.

As for why it's still in the game, who knows. You can change one flag in the game's code and you get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaoGYbK0fo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Think about the difference between human settlements, like the Undead Settlement with its ramshackle appearance and small buildings and then the Illithryll Valley. All the undead/human buildings are wooden shacks while all the godly stuff is made of stone and huge. Something Something light and dark, something something disparity. something something dark souls.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

lite_sleepr posted:

Have you been to any irl cathedrals? Inspiring Awe in you is, like, their entire purpose.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Vermain posted:

The secret to killing Katana Guy is to use the tree to climb onto the roof and kill him with the first ranged weapon you find.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's not nearly as funny and not nearly as viable for someone just starting out

I think that's the easiest way to fight him. He has no poise, so just run up and hit him a bunch of times, roll away, rinse and repeat. The trick is not getting hit back, which will take some deaths, but is absolutely doable.

edit: The easiest way to fight him without cheese. Tricking him into jumping off the cliff or going up onto the roof and shooting arrows is probably easier.

Vermain posted:

I have to ask: what specifically about the PVE experience makes it the best? I don't ask this to be confrontational or snarky, but as an honest curiosity. I felt that the PVE was by and large no better or worse than DS2 and a mild improvement over DS1. Some of the areas like Cathedral stood out, but the majority of areas (like Irithyll) were long, dull hallways with a small handful of shortcuts thrown in for some DS1 flavor. Enemy designs were mostly just "guys with complicated series of attacks" again and were easily defeated with the stock standard strategies I've been pulling out since DS1. It felt mostly like it was treading water rather than advancing the series in a meaningful way.

I prefer DS2 so far (we'll see what the DLC does for DS3), but I do like the combat in this game a little more. My biggest complaint about DS2 is that the combat is far too reactive. Basically every fight comes down a pattern of waiting for the enemies attacks, dodging until the combo is over, hitting them back and then doing it again if they're not dead. DS3 allows for a much more complex flow in its combat because sometimes a conservative strategy is best, but frequently an aggressive strategy is best. They did go too far with this. Wielding a straightsword and mashing R1 solves far too many problems and my solution is to not use straightswords, which is a real shame since I loved them in previous games. Combat also gets too quick and in the end game, and because estus and rolling are too strong, there's too little punishment for taking damage, so everything has to hit ridiculously hard to make up for it, which makes the game feel too twitchy. If weapon balance were better, defensive actions were more deliberate and enemies did a little less damage in the late game, I think the combat would be the best by far. Of course, the game has some other major issues that really set it back, like weapon design, gear distribution and linearity.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slate Action posted:

From seems to have hosed up too close to the release of the game and they had to disable the whole system for players. They didn't have time to revise the game to remove the Poise items and remove it from the character screen. Poise actually works for some NPCs. If I understand it correctly there's like 1 line of code that sets your Poise to 0. Hyper Armor is kind of like Poise, it only works when you're swinging an ultragreat weapon and it's part of why I love greataxes so much. It's really a huge embarrassment for From and no one knows if they'll fix it or abandon it.

edit: beaten by Babe Magnet

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do any Lothric Knights in the early game drop the lothric knight greatsword, or do only ones in the castle itself have them?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Do any Lothric Knights in the early game drop the lothric knight greatsword, or do only ones in the castle itself have them?

Only in the Castle, but if you manage to get one early you'll break the entire rest of the game over your knee :getin:

e: like seriously:

(I just wanted an excuse to post this again, I love how our swords and the blood spray make a cross)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I think I should start uploading some of my ps4 videos so here's a video of my truly magical nameless king fight featuring the worst phase 1 ever known to man and an even better finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHmmx4XuJ8

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Poise is almost certainly bugged guys. One of us is going to feel stupid about their thoughts on this as the game gets older and either 1) it's patched or 2) it continues to be non existent. Personally, I hope I'm not the one who feels stupid for believing that From just made a mistake and did not purposefully leave out a system that should be in the game, because to me that's real, real dumb.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Only in the Castle, but if you manage to get one early you'll break the entire rest of the game over your knee :getin:

Yeah, I've been farming the one in the sunlight altar room since it is a quick run from the bonfire to him. He seems to only want to give me large shards, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Weapon arts that explicitly say they give you poise will, though. That and hyper armor are the only times it ever works. Too bad the weapon arts that give you poise don't last for more than a few seconds, so they're not terribly useful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Filthy Hans posted:

I absolutely love PVP in this game, connectivity can be an issue but overall fights are much smoother for me than I or II. The weapon balance is bad but there are good alternatives to straight and piercing swords - for me the best are Greataxes. Some of the crazy battles with 4 or 5 factions at a time are the most fun I've ever had in Souls PVP. You're definitely right about magic and NG+ though.

For every cool big PvP FFA fight there's 20 fights where you invade into a host and 3 phantoms mashing R1 on dark swords, or half the players in the game are T-pose sliding around with no animations(which is the absolute worst shittiest way to handle latency because it makes fights garbage). The lack of alternative invasion options like bluecop invasions against sinners(seriously these loving owned why were they removed) and the removal of duel arenas also hurts a lot.

The only time I'm able to get consistent good PvP is either fight clubbing or popping a dried finger and summoning two buddies in Anor Londo to try to set up team PvP by not attacking invaders until they group up together.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 2, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
gently caress you pontiff! :catstare:

https://fat.gfycat.com/SilentLegitimateClingfish.webm

right up the butt :smug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anything sadder than trying to make a gank squad with your pals and then pulling the plug as soon as they get killed?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

ArtIsResistance posted:

I think I should start uploading some of my ps4 videos so here's a video of my truly magical nameless king fight featuring the worst phase 1 ever known to man and an even better finale

Woooooow. Everything that could go wrong went wrong with that fight. I enjoyed watching it, but I'm sorry to say this, but you shouldn't have won that fight. I've had just as bad a phase 1 as that rarely, but usually if I'm doing that horrible I just let the boss kill me and redo, because why even bother. Kudos to you for persevering through awful timings.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there anything sadder than trying to make a gank squad with your pals and then pulling the plug as soon as they get killed?

On the PS4 broadcasts people were livestreaming their gank squad, they all had turned voice chat on too.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgEfbArqoUo

hidden area/potential DLC spot

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Internet Kraken posted:

I have, on multiple occasions as a host, ran through the entire level with an invader behind me and a Seed of Giants activated, not because I'm scared to fight him, not because I expect the level to kill him, but solely for the purpose of amusing myself and annoying him. It's like a constant Yackety-Sax theme playing for ten-fifteen minutes straight. About half of my invaders either black crystal out or die, and I'm sitting here laughing my rear end off.

I don't do gank squads though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man tonight has been a good night for multiplayer for me.

First I get invaded in Undead Settlement on my way to take care of Curse-rotted Greatwood and I totally punk this guy using some greatsword and shield with my whip. Then I get some summoned for jolly co-op against good ol' big dick tree and we trounce it with no troubles at all. I solo it fairly easily afterwards. And then I get a surprise mythical bluecop summon in Farron Keep and two invaders are trying to be sneaky and set up ambushes with one of them using the Obscuring Ring and me and my fellow phantom are having none of it and trounce both of them with little effort.

Apparently people just don't know how to deal with the whip since nobody uses the things ever. :whip:

Tonight is a good night. :unsmith:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Gologle posted:

Woooooow. Everything that could go wrong went wrong with that fight. I enjoyed watching it, but I'm sorry to say this, but you shouldn't have won that fight. I've had just as bad a phase 1 as that rarely, but usually if I'm doing that horrible I just let the boss kill me and redo, because why even bother. Kudos to you for persevering through awful timings.

Once I use the ember I feel like I've already invested so much into the life that I can't just kill myself. I'm so glad that that ended up being a kill so that my terrible/amazing plays can be preserved forever.

moreeee videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_TrMH5kqA

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

ArtIsResistance posted:

Once I use the ember I feel like I've already invested so much into the life that I can't just kill myself. I'm so glad that that ended up being a kill so that my terrible/amazing plays can be preserved forever.

moreeee videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_TrMH5kqA

What capture card are you using?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Jimson posted:

What capture card are you using?

This is just with the PS4 share button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ArtIsResistance posted: