Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Uthor posted:

Just got an email from the local VW dealer saying that if you use the $500 goodwill gift card on a new car, they will give you a bonus $500 off the car. Woo!

Seems kind of stupid to be buying a new car now instead of waiting for the buyback to go through, but I don't have a TDI, so who am I to say?

I go a flyer for an offer to buy my 2010 jetta for the awesome price of $9067(those that are in "Excellent" condition only) due to high customer demand! Plus a random chance at winning 5000 dollars, but you'll probably win a 2 cases of coca cola or some beer blankets.

I was planning to take a pic and post it in this thread, but it was tossed. Probably many more to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I've been getting those long before the TDI scandal, it's a standard dealer tactic to get you back into the showroom looking at a new car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bizwank posted:

I've been getting those long before the TDI scandal, it's a standard dealer tactic to get you back into the showroom looking at a new car.

Yeah, just the $500 seemed comically low, especially since it's marketed to TDI owners whose trade-in value has tanked and it sounds like VW itself will be giving ~$5000 in the near term.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 26, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can anybody tell me anything good or bad about the 2002ish Audi TTs? I'd be interested to know more about the manual ones with the 1.8T. What's common to fail on them, parts costs, are they good cars? Do they have lovely electronics like I hear about VWs of that era? Can people over 6 feet tall fit in one (coupe, not convertible)?

I know very little about them, father in law is likely buying one and they've always been a curiosity. They're a little too bubble shaped, IMO, but everything else seems decent...?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Garbage

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

raej posted:

Bluetooth connects for hands-free. The cable will charge and also provide media playback which is why I'm interested

Have you tried the lighting adapter?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krime posted:

Have you tried the lighting adapter?

The lightning adapter works pretty well for my 2010 GTI, taking MMI -> 30 pin -> Lightning. It can be a bit goofy on occasion and require replugging it in before it works, but it's not terrible.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just got the takata recall notice for the wife's Passat, awesome. I didn't think her car's date range fell in the affected units.

She was less than pleased about me joking about the good life insurance policy on her, though. :v:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Somewhat of a cross-post but what's AI's take on the 2015+ Audi A3 and Audi TT Mk3? Obliviously expensive tastes but I'm interested in hearing from actual buyers how they've enjoyed their vehicles.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Larrymer posted:

manual ones with the 1.8T
I'm 6"4 and managed to fit in without lodging my head into the liner but only just. That's all I can tell you about that era tt, but I have got an a4 of that era with a 1.8t and 6sp manual.

The 1.8t has issues with sludging up, it's interference so making sure the timing belt is done properly and regularly is important. A 1.8t of that age is probably going to be due a good overhaul and a new turbo at least, and a lot of smaller stuff that VAG decided to make plastic and prone to heat will need replacing. The good news is that it's a really common engine so parts are relatively easy and cheap to get, and they can throw out a grin producing amount of torque.

The 6 speed gearbox is lovely until about 80 when you start wishing it had a seventh gear but other than that it's a lot of fun. Clutch is dual mass flywheel which feels silky and lovely but will cost you when replacing it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

double post.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

edit: didn't see new post above

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Entering week 3 of rental hell. They haven't even started cutting on my baby yet. They did replace basically the entire driver side front suspension though.

Not having XM or Pandora in the car is hell. Clear Channel owns everything in Denver, so -every- channel I listen to goes to commercial at the exact same time.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Can anybody tell me anything good or bad about the 2002ish Audi TTs? I'd be interested to know more about the manual ones with the 1.8T. What's common to fail on them, parts costs, are they good cars? Do they have lovely electronics like I hear about VWs of that era? Can people over 6 feet tall fit in one (coupe, not convertible)?

I know very little about them, father in law is likely buying one and they've always been a curiosity. They're a little too bubble shaped, IMO, but everything else seems decent...?

I have a 2001 convertible, so I'll chime in. Plan on replacing vacuum lines, searching for boost leaks, and always have a spare fuse tray over the battery. Mine's been a solid car other than needing a new clutch. Oh, and there are known clutch master cylinder design defects that can make the pedal go to the floor, and the slave requires a tranny drop. Had to replace all my PCV assembly recently, and it eats ignition coils like any other VW/Audi.

Not horrible for a 15 year old car, though. Make sure that the timing belt has been changed, or have it budgeted first!

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Re TTs: If it's a quattro I'd look at the Haldex clutch as well.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Is it stupid to want to do the vw buyback for my 2015 sportwagen and get an allroad? Being that I´m not super rich and all...

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Tab8715 posted:

Somewhat of a cross-post but what's AI's take on the 2015+ Audi A3 and Audi TT Mk3? Obliviously expensive tastes but I'm interested in hearing from actual buyers how they've enjoyed their vehicles.

I have a '16 S3 and they gave me a loaner '15 A3 at my first service... I can't say I was a fan it. It felt numb and disconnected compared to the S. I know they're in a completely different price range, but I'm not sure why any car person would consider it (the A)... Just buy the GTI if you're stuck on VAG.

As far as I'm concerned the only TT worth considering is the TTRS, but then you're at such a high price point that I don't know why you'd get it because there are better cars that do the same things better.

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
I just picked up a super clean 2009 MKV Rabbit with the 5-speed as my new daily driver; has anyone had any experience with tuning the 2.5L? I heard good things about the United Motorsports software + SRI manifold on Vortex, but not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge just yet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

I have a '16 S3 and they gave me a loaner '15 A3 at my first service... I can't say I was a fan it. It felt numb and disconnected compared to the S. I know they're in a completely different price range, but I'm not sure why any car person would consider it (the A)... Just buy the GTI if you're stuck on VAG.

As far as I'm concerned the only TT worth considering is the TTRS, but then you're at such a high price point that I don't know why you'd get it because there are better cars that do the same things better.

Which cars?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Which cars?

The '16 TT MSRP starts at $43 so I guess it depends on how picky we're being regarding format and features, but for starters that's where the S3 starts and it's far better (IMO), then there is the Golf R, the 2 series, slightly used CLA45 AMGs. If you're set on a German 2+2 sports car late 997s are easily had in that price range, but newer (09-13ish) Cayman and Boxsters are available too. Let's see.. Chevy SS, new Mustang GTs, new Camaros, if we start going American. Lots of good stuff that is far, far better than the TT.

I guess what I'd ask is what attracts you to the TT that makes it a winner over so many other options? The TTRS is a winner because it's a nutty 5 cylinder that's actually built to be the sports car the base TT should be, but isn't, but I'm assuming you're not consider the RS since you mentioned cross shopping the A3.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hello, AI goons. I know that this thread has pretty much devolved into sparring over whether VW is just "sort of corrupt" or "completely corrupt", but I was hoping to sneak in a question, if I could. Just picked up my 2012 GLI Autobahn, yesterday, and other than the problem I'm about to write about, I'm really liking it.

But that goddamn Bluetooth audio is just terrible. Through the Aux jack, things are okay -- not as nice as the Infinity sound in my old '05 Tiburon, but okay. But through the Bluetooth connection, the much-vaunted Fender audio system sounds like hammered poo poo. It's like the whole system sudden loses a ton of headroom, clarity, and the high-end is all garbled and almost distorted.

I've seen a couple of threads on other VW forums that say you should "turn the AUX jack input down to zero" but the interface doesn't have that option. Even if I disable the AUX jack in the menu, the Bluetooth audio still sounds awful.

Any GLI owners or anyone with the Fender sound system experience this? Anyone have any experience with bad Bluetooth audio quality, in general?

EDIT: Skip it! Turns out there's a Technical Service Bulletin for this which upgrades the firmware. Already scheduled an appointment with the dealer.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 30, 2016

via
Dec 14, 2013

Withnail posted:

Is it stupid to want to do the vw buyback for my 2015 sportwagen and get an allroad? Being that I´m not super rich and all...

I'm personally done buying new VW's and I'm cashing out if they give me the chance (I doubt they will until the day the offer comes in the mail), but I'd consider trading up to the AWD if the terms of the buyback/trade-in were absolutely marvelous ('14 JSW here). It's actually nothing against VW's cars or the company, but this whole thing has made me unwilling to take the plunge on a new car purchase ever again.

via fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 30, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

The '16 TT MSRP starts at $43 so I guess it depends on how picky we're being regarding format and features, but for starters that's where the S3 starts and it's far better (IMO), then there is the Golf R, the 2 series, slightly used CLA45 AMGs. If you're set on a German 2+2 sports car late 997s are easily had in that price range, but newer (09-13ish) Cayman and Boxsters are available too. Let's see.. Chevy SS, new Mustang GTs, new Camaros, if we start going American. Lots of good stuff that is far, far better than the TT.

I guess what I'd ask is what attracts you to the TT that makes it a winner over so many other options? The TTRS is a winner because it's a nutty 5 cylinder that's actually built to be the sports car the base TT should be, but isn't, but I'm assuming you're not consider the RS since you mentioned cross shopping the A3.

I'm not necessarily interested in a non-convertible two-seater as it just doesn't strike a good balance between fun and practical. The reviews for the CLA have been incredibly disappointing and I've yet find a single Domestic car that I've found even comes to close to the quality/style of their German Counterparts. I'll admit they've caught up in the recent years but nothing yet that's convinced me to switch.

I'm not really looking for a sports car but a sporty car that works well as a daily-driver. The TT meets that with the Mk.3 especially the interior bits are incredibly drawing and as stereotypical millennial I just want my iPhone to work the second I sit in my car without some funky new deck that only half-way works. I'm somewhat partial to the 2-Series but BMW has so many things optioned out and nearly impossible to find one with everything where-as Audi has two or three packages. As another plus, getting one with a CPO that's only a year or two old should be easy and the initial depreciation hit is gone.

The Porsche is an interesting recommendation but I'm little illiterate surrounding their models.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

With the 2-series you might be able to find a dealer willing to let you order one, but I realize that isn't for everyone and a lot of dealers won't be as negotiable on the price in that situation.

I've read similar things with the CLA (especially that the rear headroom is poor), but I've also never driven or sat in one. I will say that the GLA AMG videos I've seen have me drooling over the engine.

I guess with the TT, if you like it, you should go for it. If you're going to keep it long term, as in past four years, be aware that maintenance can be high due to packaging considerations (for example I know heater cores in the first gens are insane time wise to replace). Then again that's true of many of my suggestions and many cars in general.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

via posted:

I'm personally done buying new VW's and I'm cashing out if they give me the chance (I doubt they will until the day the offer comes in the mail), but I'd consider trading up to the AWD if the terms of the buyback/trade-in were absolutely marvelous ('14 JSW here). It's actually nothing against VW's cars or the company, but this whole thing has made me unwilling to take the plunge on a new car purchase ever again.

I meant an Audi allroad, not the 2017 VW wagon. I'd get a Subaru before that.

VW doesn't have anything other than the TDI sportwagen that I'm personally interested in.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

With the 2-series you might be able to find a dealer willing to let you order one, but I realize that isn't for everyone and a lot of dealers won't be as negotiable on the price in that situation.

I've read similar things with the CLA (especially that the rear headroom is poor), but I've also never driven or sat in one. I will say that the GLA AMG videos I've seen have me drooling over the engine.

I guess with the TT, if you like it, you should go for it. If you're going to keep it long term, as in past four years, be aware that maintenance can be high due to packaging considerations (for example I know heater cores in the first gens are insane time wise to replace). Then again that's true of many of my suggestions and many cars in general.

When it's said that VW/Audi Maintenance is expensive - which I'm sure it is - may we get a little specific? What kind of figures are we talking after four years? $500? $1000? $2,500? What sort of things break? What's are the typical gotcha's and worst case scenario?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

When it's said that VW/Audi Maintenance is expensive - which I'm sure it is - may we get a little specific? What kind of figures are we talking after four years? $500? $1000? $2,500? What sort of things break? What's are the typical gotcha's and worst case scenario?

Specifically, I had an electronic throttle body going out intermittently on my 2009 2.0TSI. This part replaces the physical cable between your foot and the butterfly valve. Rock Auto has them starting at $260-$390, Autozone $460, who knows how much from a dealer. And of course there will be a few hours' labor, since you just about need to remove the front clip to get access.

I'm sure every brand across the board uses an electronic throttle body now, but VAG cars seem to be the only ones having issues with it. (could be some confirmation bias, as an owner).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mat_Drinks posted:

People think that a poverty spec Audi is more grown up than a high spec GTI. That's why. Even though they're still both hatchbacks.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

veedubfreak posted:

People think that a poverty spec Audi is more grown up than a high spec GTI. That's why. Even though they're still both hatchbacks.
They're not? Not anymore. A3's are sedans only in the US.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

willroc7 posted:

E-tron is a hatch

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Yes, I'm sure that's what he was talking about. The A3 is garbage dilution of the brand in my opinion anyway. They will sell like hotcakes though. Those, and Q1-3's.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

willroc7 posted:

Huh, didn't realize they killed the A3 in hatch form, just knew the S3 was sedan only.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The older A3 hatch was just a GTI with Audi skin and interior if you opted for the sport pack.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It was a bit longer than a golf. somewhere between golf and sportwagen.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I always thought it looked wierd compared to the GTI. I guess it was the extra length.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Volkswagen Accessories sales@newvwparts.com posted:

May the 4th be with you - Save an additional $4 off your order

ughhhhh no make it stop

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
There's a new recall for 2012-2014 TDI Passats, an improperly sealed connector can start a fire in the underbody. https://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/rclrpt-16v171-5191.pdf

Also your airbag may kill you.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Got a recall notice yesterday for the driver-side airbag in my '11 A3 but there's no timeframe for repair as they don't have anything to replace it with lol. I guess if I see a front-end wreck coming I'll just lean over to the passenger side?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

How have the more recent GTIs been doing in terms of reliability? I have a Mazda that's getting a little long in the tooth, and the GTI is looking pretty good (I'd probably be getting a new or very recent one), but I don't want to get one and then wind up dreading the warranty expiration date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

How have the more recent GTIs been doing in terms of reliability? I have a Mazda that's getting a little long in the tooth, and the GTI is looking pretty good (I'd probably be getting a new or very recent one), but I don't want to get one and then wind up dreading the warranty expiration date.

Define more recent. Mk7 or just in the last 5 years or so?

My 2011 DSG has only needed a new PCV. No other problems (bought it new, so no PO fuckery to deal with).