Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lately I've been feeling the siren's song that is 6mm minis. But I can't decide what era or rules.

I'm stuck on my French Napoleonic army, after getting the infantry about halfways done. Why? Because I'm busy making viking houses for our new viking game. My little raiders need a place to sleep. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Phi230 posted:

I wish we had more than BMP 1s and 2s.

BTR 60/70/80 or BRDM. Maybe some GAZs and UAZs and URALS.

the main reason I didnt go USA was no bradleys or hmmvs

Yeah, it's a shame, but equally the lists in TY represent specific combat groups (albiet from the novel). Also it probably helps them get stuff out quicker by focusing on the plastics for a couple of units at a time.

YF19pilot posted:

I think the argument being made for Soviet players isn't the desire for more special rules (as though there weren't enough of those already, and I agree that needs to be trimmed), but rather the "here are some actual named units that actually fought in this battle" which every other nation gets.

But maybe I'll pick up the Team Yankee book when I go stateside in a month.

It's kinda both: Named units (and unique or notable sub-divisions of the various armies) tend to come with special rules. Commandos, for example, get loads of stuff, like gammon bombs and 2+ to hit in melee.

JcDent posted:

I'm surprised that even FFOT has the same distinction for the West/Soviet and Third World forces.

On the other hand, if you're trying to get a filthy casual into a historical game, it's helpful to have a gimmick. No surprise that BA is less popular than FoW: BA has very little special gimmicks, to the point where I only remember +1 to LMG rate Germans and something like fieldcraft for tiny minors nobody gives a poo poo.

Grogs need less gimmick because we already have a lovely, fluffy scenario is our minds or we love the faction/time span or something, else nobody would play Black Powder.

...then some idiot chimes in that BALT OCTION IS A TORNAMENT GAEM and that if you're not running assault rifle vets you're playing it wrong.

I was surprised when I actually watched a game, yeah. OTOH I struggle to forgive 24" rifles on a board covering like maybe 200 yards.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I got a ton of extra Warlord Round bases and I'll be basing the hessians and continentals on that.

I'll be doing the Hessians as a fairly elite force with a unit of Jaegers and a unit of Grenadiers, as well as a unit of regulars.

I'll be doing the Continentals as regulars, and I'll pick up a box of militia to make up the difference.

In muskets and tomahawks Indians are twice the price of militia, so as forces expand I'll probably put a dozen indians on each side to keep them even, but I can then pull them together to have an all indian force.

Is Sharp Practice 2 going to be stocked in stores? Or is it just mail order from 2 fat lardies?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

About how many models a side do sharp practice games use? Would 2 boxes of Perry Infantry a side and a Warlord Field Artillery box work? That'd give each side like 70 dudes, a cannon and a Cavalry commander.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Swagger Dagger posted:

About how many models a side do sharp practice games use? Would 2 boxes of Perry Infantry a side and a Warlord Field Artillery box work? That'd give each side like 30 dudes, a cannon and a Cavalry commander.

Let me know what theatre/ period and I will post the core army you need

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serotonin posted:

Let me know what theatre/ period and I will post the core army you need

I was just going to do AWI, I didn't even notice I forgot to mention that. Probably the Philadelphia campaign of 77-78 if that matters.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

I'm beginning to think a cross over is in order

Closest I could find:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That is an artist who does not understand the difference between fighting and fencing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Maybe the Joker was more honorable during the War of Spanish Succession

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Wouldn't old Batman use a cudgel and pretend that blunt force trauma can't kill people like every superhero comic does?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So I'm looking at Sharp Practice, and thinking AWI. But that means learning more basically anything, its not exactly taught over here, and tv gives the romanticized US version.

I know how this goes, I look at a war game and suddenly I've got ten books and an army.....

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Grey Hunter posted:

So I'm looking at Sharp Practice, and thinking AWI. But that means learning more basically anything, its not exactly taught over here, and tv gives the romanticized US version.

I know how this goes, I look at a war game and suddenly I've got ten books and an army.....

If you've got a Kindle or Kindle app is recommend this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Continental-Redcoat-American-Revolutionary-Combat/dp/1472806484

Only £4 and has some good info

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Serotonin posted:

If you've got a Kindle or Kindle app is recommend this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Continental-Redcoat-American-Revolutionary-Combat/dp/1472806484

Only £4 and has some good info

Nine more to go......

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Grey Hunter posted:

Nine more to go......

Eight: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/0306809834/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2USO9DZ2RJ4WI&coliid=I2RGNYBDPE9TG7

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Seven.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fusiliers-M...&s=books&sr=1-2

You really should it's very good

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lately I've been feeling the siren's song that is 6mm minis. But I can't decide what era or rules.

I'm in the exact same boat! Currently trying to decide between the Franco-Prussian and Early First World War BEF/Germany starter packs from Baccus 6mm. If anyone's played either or has any opinions on the Baccus stuff I'm all ears.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wow that front cover artwork....

E: For Sharp Practice 2, I'm thinking of going cards. I already like cards from M&T, and I don't really want to paint tokens. I already have enough poo poo to paint.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 30, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

INinja132 posted:

I'm in the exact same boat! Currently trying to decide between the Franco-Prussian and Early First World War BEF/Germany starter packs from Baccus 6mm. If anyone's played either or has any opinions on the Baccus stuff I'm all ears.

I'm leaning towards DBA for simplicity and starter size, and am also interested in Baccus stuff. Dunno what period/locale, leaning Antiquity or Samurai

Anyone got know of any good and informative/educational DBA (DBx?) battle reports, video or written, doesn't matter.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Phi230 posted:

Whats wrong with TY soviets?

Super stereotyped whig history portrayal. Hordes of conscripts being thrown away for nothing. Depicting soviets as an inert and incompetant fighting force with no tactics

Basically portrays tbem stereotyped and negative because reasons

I like TY. I even have a motor rifle coy. But im so tired of the "small but elite and advanced NATO forces vs. The eastern slav horde"

I don't know what Team Yankee you are playing but Team Yankee Soviets are nothing like that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm sure they're valiant and tactically superior Soviets that fail, in the end, because no amount of tactical, technological or numerical superiority, or even "scientific methods of war" can overcome the freedom-individualism alloy armor of Abrams and thermals.

Seriously, every scenario in the book is Americans beating the gently caress out of much larger soviet forces.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

I'm sure they're valiant and tactically superior Soviets that fail, in the end, because no amount of tactical, technological or numerical superiority, or even "scientific methods of war" can overcome the freedom-individualism alloy armor of Abrams and thermals.

Seriously, every scenario in the book is Americans beating the gently caress out of much larger soviet forces.

This is because it's based on a lovely novel that's literally called Team Yankee. You've kind of got to split out the "This is for playing the game of the book" and the "This is for playing WW3" bits out, since the former are generally trash. Chapter fic especially.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

This is because it's based on a lovely novel that's literally called Team Yankee. You've kind of got to split out the "This is for playing the game of the book" and the "This is for playing WW3" bits out, since the former are generally trash. Chapter fic especially.

Well, you're still pitting platoons vs. companies.

Also, later TY releases: it's hilarious when you consider that there's already a successful kickstarter for BAOR vs. VDV in 15mm

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: THE NEW OATH THREAD IS LIVE AND WAITING! :siren:

The Oath Thread, Season 7: Always Be Painting (Your Gaming/Figure Models)

Get your stuff painted! Be motivated! Win prizes!

The Oath Thread is a year-long thread (Today, the 1st of May to the last day of April 2017) that lets you collect points for painting your models each month. At the end of the year the points are totalled up and the top scorers get their pick of fantastic sponsor prizes from companies like KR Multicase, Wargames Tournaments and more!

You can paint one model at a time, or entire squads, teams or groups. You can drop in and drop out at any time if all you want to do is get your stuff painted, and the rules are easy to read and we're quite an inclusive bunch.

Drop in and say hi, and get your stuff painted!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

INinja132 posted:

Haven't handled/painted that Baccus stuff specifically but they're pretty consistently high quality (occasionally you'll find some smooshed faces or horses with very spindly legs or holes in the belly) and they do a good job maintaining scale across ranges, so if you're planning on 1870-1915 you can grab stuff from the ACW and colonial lines to supplement if need be.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
My brother and I are looking for a game to try out, "played" 40k but never really played it right.

Something that would be good for Roman times, easy for me to put together and paint 2 armies, quick to learn. We live pretty far apart so a game that is really rules heavy would not be ideal. Having to relearn the rules each time would be annoying. The only miniature size I have painted is 28mm but for this I am trying to decide between 6-10-15. 6 or 10 would be better if I assume correctly that they would be faster to paint.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
DBA for super super lightweight, Hail Caesar for moderately heavier but still fairly simple (and will be easy for ex-GW peeps to pick up).

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

goodness posted:

My brother and I are looking for a game to try out, "played" 40k but never really played it right.

Something that would be good for Roman times, easy for me to put together and paint 2 armies, quick to learn. We live pretty far apart so a game that is really rules heavy would not be ideal. Having to relearn the rules each time would be annoying. The only miniature size I have painted is 28mm but for this I am trying to decide between 6-10-15. 6 or 10 would be better if I assume correctly that they would be faster to paint.

A little later than Roman, but consider giving Saga a try (dark ages)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Numlock posted:

I don't know what Team Yankee you are playing but Team Yankee Soviets are nothing like that.

Thats how theyre written dude my bad

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
If I pick up Saga, do I basically need two starter warbands to get things going? And if I order the starter sets from the Dice Bag Lady, would I still need dice?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Phi230 posted:

Thats how theyre written dude my bad

Oh yeah the Book Soviets were terrible. At no point did they actually seem like a threat to the main character.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

tallkidwithglasses posted:

DBA for super super lightweight, Hail Caesar for moderately heavier but still fairly simple (and will be easy for ex-GW peeps to pick up).

I'll check these out and Saga.

I used to use The War Store for their good discount prices. Is there a better place to look for some army sets ? I vaguely recall some other miniature lines but I'm only familiar with how sadly

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I'm willing to bet that Battlefront wanted to have a book/movie tie in for their Team Yankee release and Coyle was the best they could get for the little or no money they were able to spend. If I had to guess they would have preferred something like Red Storm Rising but Team Yankee was affordable and focused heavily on the forces that their game models, so that is what they went with. I've never bothered to read the book myself, I just assumed that if there was a good WW3 novel out there I would have known about it before the game released.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Dirt Worshipper posted:

A little later than Roman, but consider giving Saga a try (dark ages)

New SAGA book will have the rear end end of Roman britain!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Conan the Librarian posted:

I'm willing to bet that Battlefront wanted to have a book/movie tie in for their Team Yankee release and Coyle was the best they could get for the little or no money they were able to spend. If I had to guess they would have preferred something like Red Storm Rising but Team Yankee was affordable and focused heavily on the forces that their game models, so that is what they went with. I've never bothered to read the book myself, I just assumed that if there was a good WW3 novel out there I would have known about it before the game released.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

goodness posted:

I'll check these out and Saga.

I used to use The War Store for their good discount prices. Is there a better place to look for some army sets ? I vaguely recall some other miniature lines but I'm only familiar with how sadly

If you're looking for 6mm Romans, Baccus has starter sets:

https://www.baccus6mm.com/catalogue/TheRomans/

If you want something very cheap and fast to paint, SAGA in 6mm would fit on a cofee table, and a £5 bag of 96 miniatures will be more than enough for an army. Or two. Or three. :P That would be quite fiddly, though.

But yeah, DBA is on the light side. It's a little bit of a bumb to get it, but once you get going you can finish a game in 30-60 minutes. And you only need 12 bases of troops. I usually fit around 12-16 6mm miniatures on a DBA sized base (40x15mm, 40x20mm, or 40x30mm), and baccus infantry bags are usually 96 miniatures, so 3-4 bags goes a long way.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Look for unofficial guides to DBA to cut through thick legalese of the rules.

Or is that for DBM?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Look for unofficial guides to DBA to cut through thick legalese of the rules.

Or is that for DBM?

The unofficial guide to DBA was great for version 2.2, which was when I was playing. I haven't played in version 3, and don't know if they made a new unofficial guide. But yeah, I never used the "real" rulebook for other things than army lists, which you can find online easily enough.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

INinja132 posted:

Baccus is great. Super nice, efficient shipping, a vaguely modern website. The models are also good but the main thing is that you should give Mr Baccus money for dragging 6mm out of the clutches of grog Gopher websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Two 6mm samurai DBA armies would look roughly like this, if you base your infantry in two ranks on each base (so up to 16 minis/base, but realistically it's hard to squeeze in more than 12-14). I have some extra bases chucked in there, but think 12 of these bases per side:

I don't know if they changed the army list for 3.0, but it used to be more or less this:

1 Bd (Gen) or 1 Cav (gen)
1x Cv
5x Bd
5x Sp

If you put 6 cav on the cav bases, 8 Archers on the bow bases, and 14 spearmen on the spear bases, you'd need the following for two armies:

24 cavalry
140 samurai w spears
140 ashigaru w long Spears

That's one bag of cavalry, two bags each of samurai and ashigaru, and maybe chuck in a small bags with some generals as well. I think the new army lists have added support for bows as well, but I'm not sure. So around 30 bucks for two armies, depending on how you make them. Keep in mind that bases are not included. Baccus has a basing kit that works great for 6mm, I use it myself: it comes with glue, sand, grass and several paints, as well as instructions for how to use it. I'd recommend it to any beginner, and it works well at larger scales as well.

Oh, and if you want more banners, you can just e-mail them and say that you want a higher ratio of command strips. The command strip is just like the normal one, but the fourth infantryman is a standard bearer. I like to have a banner on every other base, since the myriad of banners look is one of the big appeals of the period for me.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 2, 2016