Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Selachian posted:

Wonder if that second panel is based on reality, since it looks like Amend is deliberately misspelling Harlan Coben's name on the book.
Looks like it's a tad bit more complicated than that.

https://twitter.com/HarlanCoben/status/726805035536015360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze floats in a void.

I realize that there are many things to dislike about WDaze, but that way-off-the-shoulder shirt always hits so many wrong notes. Would that actually be considered acceptable office attire anywhere?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it wouldn't surprise me if John Zakour has posted three thousand words on his comic's wiki page about the shoulder shirt's history and significance

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

You don't see many bears eating babies in the comics these days. Um. Oh!

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Always Belittlin'

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

"Just stopping by to drop off another dead suspect!"

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Oh man a Lost and Found Department at the city's rough-and-tumble waterfront :lol:

I watched the 90s Phantom movie last night (it's on Netflix now). It was bad, but I think part of their problem is they should have gone full-silly with it. I mean it was silly, but could have been sillier. I kind of enjoyed it really.

F Minus

Teens! With their sleep and their shoes and appetites!

Mary Worth

And so, Dawn begins her "goth" phase. (I kid, but I would enjoy a Goth Dawn phase story. Perhaps it could include a cameo by "Dethany from On the Fastrack.")

Rex Morgan MD

Some real good Rex faces today.

Say Nothing posted:

How many strips have we had about the devil child's book now?
I decided to check my RMMD archives out of curiosity, and the earliest mention I have of Sarah's book is from January of 2014! :aaa: And that's not even the beginning, that's just the first mention I found, and it's talked about as an in-progress thing.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 1, 2016

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Parahexavoctal posted:

Same if Luann ends up with Pru.

Nah. Luann is going to end up with Les

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Nancy:siren:

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Looking back in the Comics Kingdom archive, this is what I found for the earliest mention of Sarah selling something to the museum.

Rex Morgan - May 25 2013

This is where Sarah actually creates the book deal.
Rex Morgan - June 9 2013

And for no reason, here's Ol' Dirty Rex.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I expect some proper goon edits of that Nancy God strip up there, I mean Jesus!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Chimeric posted:

Have you already scanned this whole story? If not, you're welcome to my scans (although they're the yellow-looking variety and would need to be tweaked):

Thanks for the offer, but I'll continue using my lovely versions.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True
That's a bit extreme, even for Everett True - throwing a man head-first down a manhole.

That's just what "shortly" means though. If they knew how long exactly, they'd say! :psyduck:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set loves kids.

I'm still trying to work out whether the "Migg's Field" on his shirt means that he's threatening to talk the kid into swallowing her own tongue, or threatening to throw his semen at her.

I mean, it's The Dinette Set, so I feel like it would try to get away with pretty much anything.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Coming soon: Neddy lands some big contracts to make military school and band uniforms.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

What kind of a sick kid asks for seafood when going out to eat? That's even worse than those deviant kids who loved liver casserole in school.

Stuccojeff
May 2, 2009

Strontium posted:

THIS kind of perspective

I'm not usually one to nitpick artwork. I can't draw an appealing figure to save my life.

But what in the name of the Good Gravy God is going on with Gwen's legs in panel four?!

There's usually a disordinate amount of attention devoted to her hips but her legs are slowly morphing in to a single gastropod-like foot.

I get that comic strip artists have deadlines and it's easy to overlook a single panel but maybe some of the time spent creating the intricate artwork on the leather bustier in panel five could have been better spent making sure that your main character for the strip isn't dissolving into a pile of curves and nerd paraphernalia.

Also, I'm just going to ignore old Peter Griffin in panel four as well. I'm not going to give him the satisfaction.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Darkest Auer posted:

What kind of a sick kid asks for seafood when going out to eat? That's even worse than those deviant kids who loved liver casserole in school.

I've always loved seafood. Then again I was also "that kid" who liked vegetables, so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Is it even widely known that Blaze has moved in with Notta? I'd think that would be inconvenient for her current plan. But if no one knows Blaze is living with Notta, why would she need to keep a low profile?

Stuccojeff posted:

I'm not usually one to nitpick artwork. I can't draw an appealing figure to save my life.

But what in the name of the Good Gravy God is going on with Gwen's legs in panel four?!

There's usually a disordinate amount of attention devoted to her hips but her legs are slowly morphing in to a single gastropod-like foot.

I get that comic strip artists have deadlines and it's easy to overlook a single panel but maybe some of the time spent creating the intricate artwork on the leather bustier in panel five could have been better spent making sure that your main character for the strip isn't dissolving into a pile of curves and nerd paraphernalia.
Yeah, Reddick frequently puts out drawings that I would be embarrassed to show anyone, and I'm not a professional artist. In fact, I readily admit I can't draw for poo poo. But if I made the attempt and it came out looking like that? I'd destroy it and try again. It's not just weirdly-proportioned people, it's basic poo poo like things that are supposed to be symmetrical obviously aren't, and look like they were drawn freehand by a child. Look at the boots in panel one - the laces are completely different, and that's something that I actually could do better myself, because it's just a series of crosses. Anyone could do that better. The leg you pointed out in panel four is the same - he just drew the right one too wide. Erase that line and draw it again, it's not difficult.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Darkest Auer posted:

There's a difference between the school cantine's fish balls that smell like piss and taste pure evil and actual fish dishes meant to be eaten by human beings. Some kids have had luck to encounter the latter before being fed the first.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Laputanmachine posted:

There's a difference between the school cantine's fish balls that smell like piss and taste pure evil and actual fish dishes meant to be eaten by human beings. Some kids have had luck to encounter the latter before being fed the first.

I know, but there's still no way a kid's going to ask for seafood instead of a steak or a burger or pizza though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sez you. Some of my fave dishes as a kid included seafoof like chili crabs, barbecued stingray, or just fried whitebait.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

The Jews won't share their mortar recipe? Talk about ungrateful!

It's apples and walnuts all chopped up, sugar, and a little red wine. Surprisingly easy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Darkest Auer posted:

I know, but there's still no way a kid's going to ask for seafood instead of a steak or a burger or pizza though.

I dunno, fish and chips is pretty popular.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
How People Hold Cellphones

Dog Comix

Pig Comix

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Is it even widely known that Blaze has moved in with Notta? I'd think that would be inconvenient for her current plan. But if no one knows Blaze is living with Notta, why would she need to keep a low profile?

Actually, that's part of why She (and the other other villains, whatever they are calling themselves now) keep her around. No one knows about her. She isn't in the system. she's clean.
So, they are using her as a messenger girl, and various little gopher tasks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Darkest Auer posted:

Didn't someone accurately identify Gil's setting location from an off the cuff reference to shellfish?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

I'm slightly worried about the future of HLTS :(

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

goatface posted:

Didn't someone accurately identify Gil's setting location from an off the cuff reference to shellfish?

I'd always assumed it was Rhode Island since one previous strip referenced Del's Frozen Lemonade stand at the beach.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The only injustice here is that United somehow gets off scot-free.

The Phantom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 4, 1929)

Peanuts, in which America's Favorite Insurance Salesman is an aficionado of the terpsichorean arts. (May 2, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft, in which TomBat decides that there hasn't been enough death and misery in his properties lately.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way is about boyzendorgzenbrudderz today. Just not necessarily at the same time. (March 13-14, 1929)

Thimble Theater (November 19, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft, in which TomBat decides that there hasn't been enough death and misery in his properties lately.

Gotta say, I appreciate this newfound economy of storytelling. Why subject us to months of tedious, poorly written buildup when you can have death be a retcon handled in two out of three panels?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Batiuk LOOOVES DEATH.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I can see why Popeye was more popular than Castor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

I'd always assumed it was Rhode Island since one previous strip referenced Del's Frozen Lemonade stand at the beach.
Well, that, and Fetui's from RI himself.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 9, 1951)

Barnaby (September 14, 1942)

Nancy (May 24, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 4, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 5, 1923)

Lil' Abner (October 19, 1936)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Darkest Auer posted:

Gil lives in Rhode Island on a diet of microwaveable meals served to him by a single mom. You think that kid doesn't eat burgers and pizza six nights a week? Some fried shrimp is probably all he lives for.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Looking forward to Reddick going full Maintaining-level with the body dysmorphia.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I know this is the usual "haw haw kids are dumb" joke, but all I can think of is some sort of Stephen King-esque horror story about fog that kills wildlife and plants.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

A sparrow with an abnormally large beak. Slow day around the Odditorium, eh, Mr. Ripley?

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of And Now Something for the Ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave