Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Excommunication isn't apostasy, guys. It means you cannot take part in Church ceremonies (sacraments) until you repent.

Edit: In other news, the Polish Supreme Court decided today they are going to honor rulings of the Constitutional Court despite the executive not publishing them. This creates an interesting (as in "interesting times") situation where state courts sometimes are going to use different law than the administration.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Russia banned the Crimean Tatar Mejlis.

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-ukraine-crimean-tatars-mejlis-banned/27699264.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ANNA News, the pro-Russian outlet famous for putting GoPros on Syrian tanks, has been hacked, and the hackers have started publish their emails. The first one is a concerned DNR commander asking them about Russian military equipment caught in shot in one of their videos.

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/726044866170486784

https://twitter.com/24todayneteng/status/725974406531567616

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Modern conflict is loving weird. The general public can not only watch everything happen, but can now interact with it themselves. This was predicted in Rainbow's End. Truly cybepunk is dead because it is now nonfiction.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 29, 2016

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
In the other direction, a couple of Russian opposition activists had their Telegram accounts hacked. The process apparenty "coincided" with their phone company (MTS) disabling their service for a period overnight, then someone doing some sort of recovery process and mysteriously getting the code SMS that should have been sent to the temporairly disabled phone number. Wonder how that happened....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

God drat it. :mad:

I'd been hoping that the status of the Tatars would be one of the fairly few bright spots in this whole kerfuffle.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd been hoping that the status of the Tatars would be one of the fairly few bright spots in this whole kerfuffle.

Uhhhh, Russia has been loving with the Crimea Tatars pretty hard since the annexation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of the first deaths of this war was a Crimean Tatar activist who was kidnapped from a protest and then founded dead, naked, with knife through his eye.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not to dogpile you, but you thought that Crimea being annexed by Russia via ultranationalist militias would somehow lead to an improvement in the situation for an ethnic minority in that region?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Russia is a bad country.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I always thought that when Danzig was annexed, it would get better for the locals!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gaj posted:

I always thought that when Danzig was annexed, it would get better for the locals!

It was pretty poo poo for most of the locals, but I don't see how this compares to Crimea.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why is Russia trolling our forces with extremely close flybys as if to dickwave in our faces? What would it hope to gain from this? Doesn't it know better than to provoke a loving war? Is it a French-style prestige ploy?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Well, neo-fascists seem like the fastest growing market segment in Europe these days, so the second category might just be soulless capitalists instead. :shrug:

I've joked that neo-folk who want to make a real splash and stand out from the rest should be emulating IS iconography instead of Nazis, because that poo poo's played out. And I still hold that opinion after the Paris attacks.

In fact, the Paris attacks just made me double down on that belief. :unsmigghh:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Grouchio posted:

Why is Russia trolling our forces with extremely close flybys as if to dickwave in our faces? What would it hope to gain from this? Doesn't it know better than to provoke a loving war? Is it a French-style prestige ploy?
It's because Russia knows this won't start a war, dickwaving is all it is. The US could do the same to Russian army honestly but the US has a different PR idea than petty actions like these.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

It was pretty poo poo for most of the locals, but I don't see how this compares to Crimea.
Same excuse for invasion. Granted, it's the excuse and not a reason.

Palpek posted:

It's because Russia knows this won't start a war, dickwaving is all it is. The US could do the same to Russian army honestly but the US has a different PR idea than petty actions like these.
I imagine the Russian public loves it, though: heroic army making defiant gestures at the country that's the root of all evil in the world. Turns out dickwaving goes very well with the average Russian.

edit: Also, the Czech pro-Kremlin media state the ship was trespassing in Russian territory and, I poo poo you not, disabled by a secret EMP weapon, upon which Russian plane offered assistance, which was refused. The ship's crew was so demoralized that 27 crewmen immediately resigned from the Navy (this one is actually in English, anyone can vouch for the redness of the source?).
So yeah, the Russian interpretation goes just a bit wilder.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 30, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Grouchio posted:

Domestic propaganda consumption, coupled with believing their own domestic propaganda.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Same excuse for invasion. Granted, it's the excuse and not a reason.
I imagine the Russian public loves it, though: heroic army making defiant gestures at the country that's the root of all evil in the world. Turns out dickwaving goes very well with the average Russian.

edit: Also, the Czech pro-Kremlin media state the ship was trespassing in Russian territory and, I poo poo you not, disabled by a secret EMP weapon, upon which Russian plane offered assistance, which was refused. The ship's crew was so demoralized that 27 crewmen immediately resigned from the Navy (this one is actually in English, anyone can vouch for the redness of the source?).
So yeah, the Russian interpretation goes just a bit wilder.

It's why their hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing response when Turkey shot down their fighter-bomber was so delicious. It made exposed all this dickwaving and storytelling as posturing, especially when we find out that the Russia military doesn't even use their own GPS and uses Garmin handheld GPS for their expensive military aircraft because they can't afford anything but.

Even them bringing out their anti-aircraft ship didn't do much, because the U.S. ended up just increasing their airstrikes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Also, the Czech pro-Kremlin media state the ship was trespassing in Russian territory and, I poo poo you not, disabled by a secret EMP weapon

If this blog is the main arm of Kremlin's influence, things are pretty good :toot:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

If this blog is the main arm of Kremlin's influence, things are pretty good :toot:
Nah, this is just their youth-oriented website. Sensation, celebrities, and just how loving cool Russia is. There's more than thirty Russian-operated "news" websites currently in action here and the fuckers keep multiplying.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The fantabulous EMP claim refers to a previous buzzing incident with the Donald Cook, when it was in the Black Sea. The more recent incident was in the Baltic Sea.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
What I love about the magical EMP story is just how many times it has been regurgitated on anti-western websites.

27 Homo-Nazi JewSA officers in the limp-wristed Imperialist American Navy resigned over the incident. Is good. Is good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

The fantabulous EMP claim refers to a previous buzzing incident with the Donald Cook, when it was in the Black Sea. The more recent incident was in the Baltic Sea.
Yeah, the link was in the first article - which handily fuses the incidents together and restates it again. Russian EMP across time and space.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Apparently some norwegian site aldrimer.no came up with a claim that russian drones have been flying in Estonia and have been shot at.

Well I really doubt those claims, especially after seeing this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGSSLA_LFM

If it looks like propaganda, and it smells like propaganda, then it is propaganda.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/GrahamWP_UK/status/726425141840896000

What is it like to have no shame?

Brown Moses posted:

ANNA News, the pro-Russian outlet famous for putting GoPros on Syrian tanks, has been hacked, and the hackers have started publish their emails. The first one is a concerned DNR commander asking them about Russian military equipment caught in shot in one of their videos.

https://twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/726044866170486784

https://twitter.com/24todayneteng/status/725974406531567616

This is awesome.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 30, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

:swoon:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBKN7_vx2xo

Is there any significance to the change in uniform colour?

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Im guessing white is a sort of a parade unifrom?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All I know is that the gilded insignia are used to signify her status as an admiralty court marshal, which means civilian law has been suspended in RUssia.

This is the source of my expertise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSkBONbDwA

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Russia (and probably much of the rest of post-Soviet space) has a serious thing for overuse of dress-military style uniforms --- even the foreign ministry spokeslady has one (in a rather... evocative... black, at that).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

Russia (and probably much of the rest of post-Soviet space) has a serious thing for overuse of dress-military style uniforms --- even the foreign ministry spokeslady has one (in a rather... evocative... black, at that).

Have you seen the new SS Gestapo Russian postal uniforms?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Their postal services had a rather snazzy uniform, too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Their postal services had a rather snazzy uniform, too.

Owned like Crimea :owned:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's almost like authoritarians regimes have a huge boner for uniforms.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The girls, they love to see you shoot

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

It's almost like authoritarians regimes have a huge boner for uniforms.

Well Russia does have a history of authoritarianism. They also have a history of loving uniforms. Look at Tsarist uniforms for the civil service.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Well Russia does have a history of authoritarianism. They also have a history of loving uniforms. Look at Tsarist uniforms for the civil service.

The same applied to Prussia / German empire too, until the first world war.

Apparently in Estonia, if an illegal immigrant is detained but refuses to say who he is and has destroyed his documents, then he can not be detained for more than 18 months and gets to stay on as a homeless person because he can not be deported anywhere. Terrific.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 1, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jonnypeh posted:

The same applied to Prussia / German empire too, until the first world war.

Apparently in Estonia, if an illegal immigrant is detained but refuses to say who he is and has destroyed his documents, then he can not be detained for more than 18 months and gets to stay on as a homeless person because he can not be deported anywhere. Terrific.

No one owned it like the Tsarists did.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

No one owned it like the Tsarists did.

Huh, didn't know they had SA back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot
Soviet tradition of huge May 1 parades revived in the Donetsk People's Republic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKnChL75eHs