Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean with how the site's stability seemed so far, it's kind of a miracle this hasn't happened until now. :v: I guess we'll see how stuff goes on the new hosting.

E: Update near bottom of last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
First Round - Match 8: Cake Attack vs TheMcD

TheMcD has had a really bad time in this LP so far. He was pit up against Trasson in the OP before his first game with Trasson timed out, and the second ended up disappearing because Trasson was away for 20 or so days. Because TheMcD expressed that he wished to get a game in on the first round, I PM'd Cake Attack to take Trasson's place, and he accepted in kind. I have to thank Cake Attack for coming in to participate in the thread on such short notice. That being said, this is the final match of the first round of the tournament (!!!), so let's take a look at our map and CO selections:

The map is fairly standard for the most part, with a few roundabouts on the left and right leading to open paths to the enemy's territory. However, there are two middle paths that can be taken via connected shorelines to the center of the map as well, with a mountain blocking off one of those paths so only infantry and mech can cross it. Between that and the center paths being narrow as can be, this map somehow screams "Sami" to me in some ways. However, with two airports on either side of the map, this map could lead to some heavier air battles, leading to Eagle or (oddly enough) Max being solid choices as well. Lots of terrain can lead to good cover moving forward, and mountains can be used in various situations to protect oncoming foot soldiers in capturing or protecting other properties.

Instead, we got two very unorthodox CO choices from our competitors: a set of well-rounded COs who do well in most any situation, with few drawbacks yet very few strengths. Considering Andy was used in the demonstration match that I did with Paul.Power, let's go over Olaf's stats:

• Day-To-Day: All units can move normally in snowy weather conditions. All units have snow-like movement penalties in the rain.
  • CO Power: Blizzard - Makes it snow for one turn.
  • Super CO Power: Winter Fury - Makes it snow for one turn. All enemy units lose 2 HP.

The reason that I insisted on weather being randomized in this tournament was so this guy could gain an advantage and be a more common pick among the players. Olaf thrives in snowy weather conditions, and can use the snow as a massive offensive or defensive benefit for whenever it just so happens to show up in battle. If a damaged enemy unit is trying to retreat, Olaf can cast down either of his COPs to prevent it from doing so. If Olaf's front line is suffering a little too much in damage, he can use either of his COPs to gain him an extra turn to regroup or recover from the situation at hand.

I have mixed opinions on Olaf. He's an extremely difficult CO to master, and is counterpicked by many of the commonly used COs in the game, including Hawke and (unfortunately for TheMcD) Andy. As well, his strong CO power reliance leaves him vulnerable to more specialized COs in other situations, like Max or Eagle. However, Olaf can sway the tide of battle with strong uses of those CO powers, and can gain a very lucky turn or two if the weather does permit it. If the weather change percentage was higher than 7% during the beginning of every turn, I think I would use him more in my own games.

With the new hosting of AWBW in place, we should have no problems with commentating on this game, so let's begin!

Grey Sky - End of Day 3

So, the capture phase is kind of being played weirdly by both players here. First, is Cake Attack's decision to build a recon turn 3 into the capture phase. Second, is TheMcD's strange use of his northmost infantry: he ignores all the other properties around him and immediately beelines towards the northmost factory on the map. Both decisions come across as weird to me: the deployment of the recon is strange because it has no terrain to move across to quickly interrupt captures on the northern side of the map, and the infantry moving towards the base is strange to me because the neutral base is as close as it is to TheMcD's eastmost factory. I was expecting that TheMcD would try and go for property advantage here, but the factory seems to be top priority here. Maybe he's expecting to gain more in the end by being able to deploy more infantry quicker than his opponent. Bases are the most valuable properties in the game after all (besides, well, you know...the HQ).

Blue Moon - End of Day 4

More recons are coming from CakeAttack to eat away at whatever TheMcD tries to advance with. TheMcD responds appropriately with a tank on his leftmost base. That tank alone will be able to stop that recon from moving forward, as there is very little road to work with on the left side of the map. On the right side, TheMcD might need to defend himself a little bit better going forward. Both players are currently matched in funding, so it's a matter of how their units are going to be deployed in the future that will decide the winner of this match.

Grey Sky - End of Day 5

Cake Attack moves in aggressively this turn, with his recon attacking an infantry on the east side, and his infantry attacking another infantry on the northwest side of the map. Ultimately, that infantry that Cake Attack moved in with is going to die from tank fire next turn, but it'll slow down TheMcD's future captures with his now-6 HP infantry. Cake Attack also has his southernmost properties nearly secured. Within the next turn or so, I expect he's going to build a tank and start beginning a full assault on TheMcD's troops.

Blue Moon - End of Day 5

RIP overly-aggressive northwest infantry.

Grey Sky - End of Day 6

Cake Attack is one of the most forward Advance Wars players I've seen in a while, with his recon taking out the capturing 6 HP infantry in the northwest that TheMcD was capturing with, as well as hitting TheMcD with any damage he can deal with his recon in the east. Cake Attack's western recon is going to get revenge-killed next turn, but I have to admire how he just didn't give a single care going forward with that recon of his. He did build a tank this turn, so I expect there to be some less one-sided fights on the western front going forward into this game.

Blue Moon - End of Day 6

Well, it wasn't revenge-killed, but Cake Attack's recon got revenge-1HP'd, crippling it from doing anything substantial for the next little while (unless Cake Attack decides to sacrifice it for its failure). TheMcD doesn't look like he's going to let Cake Attack bully his eastern front anymore either, with a tank being built on the northeastern base.

Grey Sky - End of Day 7

It snowed. Well, TheMcD is going to really enjoy his next turn, anyways!

CakeAttack seems to have gone full-on "you have failed me" with his recon, but he doesn't let it go to waste, anyways: keeping his recon there allows for Cake Attack to move up his tank to a safe position, so if TheMcD does decide to blow up the last of CakeAttack's recon, Cake Attack can rush in with his tank next turn and begin an advantage on the northwestern front.

The strange part about this turn is Cake Attack suddenly building an artillery. I wonder what he's up to...

Blue Moon - End of Day 7

The biggest thing to note this turn is the placement of the westmost tank that TheMcD has deployed. This would have been a fine move...if it were going to snow for the rest of Cake Attack's next turn. However, when the snow stops, Cake Attack will be able to pelt it and show it who's boss. Things are not looking up for TheMcD on that front as a result. At least the eastern front is being pushed back against without any immediate retaliation!

Grey Sky - End of Day 8

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the misclick of the century: it seems as if Cake Attack moved his tank one space right underneath TheMcD's tank, and put it in an extremely vulnerable position as a result. I feel really bad for Cake Attack going forward here...

Blue Moon - End of Day 8

...I feel horrible for Cake Attack going forward here. Not only was his mistake punished from the last turn, but it began snowing again. Things are turning up absolutely wonderful for TheMcD in this game. With the eastern front having two tanks guarding it as well, Cake Attack is going to have a terrible time going forward.

Grey Sky - End of Day 9

Cake Attack makes some excellent plays on this turn: he uses his mech and his damaged tank to defend his artillery, preventing TheMcD from making any significant advances on his next turn unless he's going to go punished. As well, a battle copter is deployed by Cake Attack to further fortify his defenses in the west. Cake Attack won't give up that section without a fight, but what I feel a bit of concern about right now are the two other fronts: the east and the middle, which Cake Attack hasn't done very much to defend.

Blue Moon - End of Day 10

Speaking of that middle front, let's talk about that for a second: TheMcD built an anti-air quite a few turns ago, and I consider that an ideal unit for the middle front, as mostly infantry would be traversing along it. The next few turns in the center is pretty much going to consist of TheMcD weeding out the infantry in the center as a result.

TheMcD is also moving his tanks towards the center, giving him a rather advantageous position going towards the HQ in the upcoming turns: with the eastern front not really a huge concern as of the moment, TheMcD seems to be consolidating his units for a push right against the heart of Cake Attack's defense.

Blue Moon - End of Day 11

Cake Attack spent most of his last turn pushing his units forward to gain some extra ground, and TheMcD retaliates in kind. Despite it beginning ot rain, TheMcD has taken most of the central front, has defended the eastern front successfully, and has enough units defending the western front that it's not a huge problem as of the moment. the biggest concern that TheMcD currently has is Cake Attack's roaming b-copterr, and a few oncoming mechs.

Some of the unit deployment Cake Attack has done this round has been rather unorthodox to me. Perhaps he was aiming to use those artillery to create chokepoints along the bridge or near his HQ...but they haven't been effective quite yet.

And then this happened:

GameroftheGame posted:

Turns out the server switch made the replays a little weird, the sprites didn't match up and that old Fire Emblem game also hosted got mashed into the AW game with the change over. Given how many times the game had to be reset it probably should be fine, they both used the mix up equally.

Here we are where you left off, at Day 11. Right away you can see some mix ups; there are new sprites for units, yet properties are all grey and the health counters are gone. For some reason now you have to select each unit in turn, as well as the property tiles, to see their status. Very annoying. Anti-airs seemed to have all changed into recons as well, but I imagine that's just some corruption in the code.

All these errors make for a subpar play by play, so we'll skip ahead some.

TheMcD is coming down hard and aggressively, bringing up a lot of units on the left and center flanks. The right isn't nearly as filled out, though even the center division don't have the tools to deal with Cakeattack. Meanwhile, Cakeattack has made some curious choices, too, squandering funds building a battleship over more numerous units to bolster the left. Still, the leftover funds are used to build a Thug, who's high damaging axe ought to take care of even tanks if he can actually hit with it.

Days later and we have this situation. The center has turned into a vacant sprawl as both players lose most of their units on each other, with Cakeattack's battleship plastering helpless infantry one by one. Note the beaches to the east; he can't move it to help the right flank, leaving it simply as a guardian over the HQ. Meanwhile, Cakeattack has built a pair of demon hounds to help out on the left. They're very fast with a foot movement type, but I doubt they'll be doing anything more then harass TheMcD's infantry. Speaking of, one starts to capture Cakeattack's city, with the recon blocking off Cakeattack's thug from attacking. An axe does poor damage to a car, so it was a wise move!

On the right Cakeattack once again makes big purchases and buys a Neotank. However, this turn Cakeattack also reveals the thief made turns before, which glacially moves up the right until its close enough to threaten the HQ! While thieves can't capture, they can steal TheMcD's funds from properties or, more dangerously, try to attack the CO! TheMcD is forced to move Olaf out from the HQ to avoid it, while moving up a freshly build infantry to deal with the thief. Worth noting is the TheMcD also builds a mage, which will prove very important in the future.

The future being now. Immediately that mage casts warp to show up on the right flank and obliterates the Neotank instantly, freeing up the side for TheMcD's victory march, although on Cakeattack's turn an infantry immediately guns the glory seeking wizard down. Back at the home front the infantry scares off the thief, allowing TheMcD to return to the HQ. With the center stalemated it's up to the left and right flanks, but Cakeattack is left wanting as TheMcD continues to aggressively push and overwhelm the defenses. Desperately Cakeattack keeps fighting, but the outcome is assured.

And that's exactly how it happened. Congratulations, TheMcD.

So, is everyone excited for round 2?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
That was thrilling, and I demand someone create a mod that allows us to add FE units to advance wars.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
What the gently caress?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well that went places I wasn't expecting it to.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Excuse me, that "Thug" is clearly a Mercenary and they wield swords. :colbert:

:psyduck:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
What in the...

:golfclap:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yup, that was exactly how it went.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

AlphaKretin posted:

Excuse me, that "Thug" is clearly a Mercenary and they wield swords. :colbert:

:psyduck:

Are you implying an inaccuracy? :colbert:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh hey, looks like amarriner took advantage of the server move to add a few extra touches. Adding a "combat sprites" graphics mode is a neat touch, although I'm not sure it aids visual clarity. Would be cool to see that extended to custom unit sprites for each side (Cobalt Ice would be particularly interesting to see, naturally). Fire Emblem units and deployable COs seem like risky moves, but they'll spice the metagame up if nothing else.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Considering I'm finally settled into my new place, I might as well announce in a (not to be posted in the LP) update that I'm ready to begin round 2. For this round, I'm going to be choosing maps with more gimmicks exclusive to AWBW, as well as choosing maps which are from a wider pool of maps than the S-ranked maps seen on the website.

As per suggestion from many people who have talked to me about the thread as well, I'll see if I can add in more graphical additions to the updates so that it's easier to follow what's going on.

Endorph and Aston shall be playing on this map. TheMcD and Doctor Reynolds will be playing on this map. On the latter map, the lab units will be piperunners, bombers, neotanks, and battle copters. Otherwise, all the rules stay the same as usual. If there are any objections to the lab unit choices, or the maps, please tell me right away.

Enjoy!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Game's up. Password is "goons". I think I set it up right.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I can't remember if black tiles have been explained in this thread - if not, they're "teleport tiles" - they have zero movement cost. A unit can't end its turn on them, though. They're created by exploiting a glitch you can get if you make your map in a text editor.

I think this is the first time I've seen them used in a naval context. Pretty neat.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Game's up. Password is "goons". I think I set it up right.

You forgot the standard Stealth Bomber + Black Bomb ban.

Slur fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 9, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Game's up. password's goons, as usual.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

You forgot the standard Stealth Bomber + Black Bomb ban.

:argh:

Fixed. I think.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Well. That's a hell of a map.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Why does it feel like I'm going to get murdered?

EDIT: Oh, right, it's because I'm poo poo.

EDIT AGAIN: Yep, definitely because I'm poo poo.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 7, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Why does it feel like I'm going to get murdered?

EDIT: Oh, right, it's because I'm poo poo.

EDIT AGAIN: Yep, definitely because I'm poo poo.

You're not poo poo; Reynolds is just shockingly good at this game.

Also you still have time to turn this around.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Are you two watching the same game as me? I feel like I'm getting clowned around.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Are you two watching the same game as me? I feel like I'm getting clowned around.

I dunno. I see piperunners getting turned into expensive garden ornaments by artillery and soon turned into scrap by battleships, a center that's completely undefended, meaning two comm towers that are soon in your hand (and therefore one out of mine as well), and once you get that lab under control, which at this point only seems a matter of time, I don't have neotanks/piperunners/bombers and you do, and you have had the funding advantage for so long, so that just means more neotanks/piperunners/bombers wrecking my poo poo.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Update: Endorph and I have made some Infantry, so it's heating up over here as well.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Aston posted:

Update: Endorph and I have made some Infantry, so it's heating up over here as well.
Hey, it's probably a good thing one game's going quicker than the other. Slur can only write up one game at once, after all.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Paul.Power posted:

Slur can only write up one game at once, after all.
Pffffft. I've gotten info straight from the goon's mouth about how fast Slur writes his updates. :flashfact:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GG, Doctor Reynolds. I felt like this outcome was hanging over me like a Sword of Damocles ever since I hosed up the first MD Tank encounters, but it's just getting more and more obvious you're just going to destroy me from here on out.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

GG, Doctor Reynolds. I felt like this outcome was hanging over me like a Sword of Damocles ever since I hosed up the first MD Tank encounters, but it's just getting more and more obvious you're just going to destroy me from here on out.

Oh come on, TheMcD! Show some confidence! No game is over until it is over!

Slur fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 9, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

Oh come on, TheMcD! Show some confidence! No game is over until it is over!

I resigned. It's over. Reynolds was going to take away my comm tower next turn (there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop that from what I could tell) and make a play for the other one that I could only stop by overdedicating units to stopping it, meaning that Reynolds could then snag both labs, leaving me completely stranded. Add a funding advantage that's been there for ages and piperunners that were starting to run out of ammo (meaning they turn into even larger sitting ducks as I try to refill their ammo while under constant threat from other ranged weapons and Reynolds's tanks flooding in), and I feel like calling it there is the expedient move to make. I'm not the type to slog things out, really.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm glad to see my strategy of "I have no idea how to counter these things... I guess I'll make them run out of ammo?" paid off.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm glad to see my strategy of "I have no idea how to counter these things... I guess I'll make them run out of ammo?" paid off.

Yeah, it was a perfect strategy. By constantly pressuring both labs and the comm towers, you were constantly forcing me to fire at infantry and poo poo like that, lest my situation get even worse. That chewed through ammo and redirected fire from the tanks, that could then aid the infantry in establishing a stronger position and occasionally catch a piperunner in a lovely position. Compounding that was further external pressure from artillery, rockets and that loving battleship (which pretty much ruined my entire left flank) forcing the piperunners to be on the move half of the time, lest they get bombed to poo poo, meaning that you could further exert pressure on the key properties.

And really, I was only in this for so long because that Hail Mary on the comm tower worked out. If that infantry died, I would have conceded earlier because you would have advanced much faster.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So because the game's outcome has been spoiled, does that mean I have to write an update?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

So because the game's outcome has been spoiled, does that mean I have to write an update?

Well, you did it with the game I had with Cake Attack, and that seemed about as spoiled as this one.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Well, you did it with the game I had with Cake Attack, and that seemed about as spoiled as this one.

Well darn.

Slur fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 9, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Most of the outcomes have been mentioned in some way, so.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Most of the outcomes have been mentioned in some way, so.

I looked back towards the beginning of this thread and realized that in one way or another, they have been.

Slur fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 9, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Second Round - Match 1: Doctor Reynolds vs TheMcD

Welcome to the second round of this exhillerating and poorly-commentated-on Advance Wars By Web tournament! Before anything else, I wish to thank TheMcD and Doctor Reynolds for completing their 23-turn game in less than 24 hours, allowing for me to commentate on this round of the tournament sooner than I honestly expected to. I would also like to thank Amarriner for switching AWBW to a host which hasn't completely plagued the game with SQL errors as of yet; beyond the last game's strange incident where everything was being replaced with Fire Emblem sprites and odd and out-of-place character designs, everything's been going pretty smoothly in terms of site stability and my ability to actually put out these updates.

Let's go over the map and CO choices:

There's a lot to talk about in terms of my map selection for the contestants this time. First, is the excessive amount of piping which exists on either players' side of the map, with a few seams to break on the center pipes to allow for easier passage on the northern and southern fronts to the center of the map. However, that might not be the most viable option to commit to: considering that either player has a factory right against the pipelines, this will give us an opportunity to see one of the most niche units in the entire game get some play: the piperunner.

For those of you who aren't familiar with piperunners, they were introduced in Advance Wars: Dual Strike as a unit developed by the Black Hole army. They're an indirect combat until which can fire anywhere from 2 to 5 spaces away from their current position, and have an extraordinary movement of 9 spaces. However, as their name implies, their movement is limited to bases and pipelines, which makes their usability very limited. We got to see the use of one in Endorph and JunpeiHyde's game in the first round, but that was more towards the end of the round, and we didn't get to see it really damage anything. I chose this map hoping that both players would utilize them to their fullest to seize victory...

...except Piperunners aren't exactly available to either player from the start of the map. You may be wondering why that is. It's because of this:

What is that, you may ask? Well, it's a laboratory. In Advance Wars 2's campaign, these properties would replace HQs on the hidden lab maps, and players who could complete these lab maps would be given access to Neotanks to use for the army who captures them. In Advance Wars By Web, they serve an entirely different function: labs are properties which grant no funding to the player who captures them. However, if a player controls a single lab, they are given permission to deploy units which were previously unavailable to the player. These units, known as "lab units" by AWBW, are decided upon by the hosting player before the match begins. I personally asked the players to make the following units into lab units:

• Bombers
  • Battle Copters
  • Neotanks
  • Piperunners

That means if a player doesn't control at least one lab, they cannot deploy these units. Well, that makes the labs extremely important when your entire offensive air force and the use of piperunners relies on controlling one!

As far as COs go, Doctor Reynolds chose Hawke and TheMcD chose Olaf. Personally, I think TheMcD is at a slight disadvantage in terms of COs due to Hawke being able to heal off any damage that winter fury may bring upon Doctor Reynolds's units, and the CO bars being pretty even in terms of their usages. Then again, it really depends on how much random weather grants TheMcD the snow he needs. That all being said, let's move onwards!

Black Hole - End of Day 6

So I've gone pretty far ahead in terms of what's actually happening between turns one through six. It's mainly because I really don't have a lot in terms to say about "infantry running over to square x, capturing on square x". But, I might as well make a quick note and say that TheMcD was more anxious to take a lab than Doctor Reynolds was. It doesn't change much, considering that funding is at a low right now between both players. What is interesting, however, is Doctor Reynolds deciding to pump out the tanks at this point in the game, while TheMcD holds back on them. Doctor Reynolds seems to be going for a blitz, while TheMcD is holding back. But for what, when his infantry can be pelted off one by one unopposed?

Blue Moon - End of Day 6

Well, that's certainly an unexpected move: it seems TheMcD wishes to bring in the bigger guns to oppose against Doctor Reynolds's tanks, and decides to spawn a medium tank on his western base.

Personally, I was never a fan of the medium tank in any Advance Wars game. The reason behind this is because of its 5 movement, as opposed to the tank's 6. With indirect combat units existing as well, it's easy to trap a medium tank and pelt it with artillery fire, giving the player who spawned the medium tank a 10,000G deficit for whatever they were trying to pull. The extra attack power never really is able to blow away an infantry, so medium tanks don't exactly make for the best wallbreakers either. That all being said, their defense is pretty high compared to other ground units, so maybe we'll get to see some good use out of the thing. It could intimidate Doctor Reynolds's tank out of the western front, which is what I think TheMcD is hoping for.

Blue Moon - End of Day 7

Another medium tank gets built on TheMcD's southern factory, and Doctor Reynolds begins capturing the lab in the eastern part of the map. Beyond that, there isn't a lot to say about this turn, though the capture phase nearing an end on both sides is a welcome sight to see!

Black Hole - End of Day 8

This is a weird turn on Doctor Reynolds's part: rather than complete the capture on the lab, she decides to use her infantry to assist the tank on preventing a capture on the city I highlighted in red on the map. Another thing that Reynolds does on this turn is back up her western front with a medium tank, built on her northern base. As TheMcD was hoping for, Doctor Reynolds retreats her tank out of the area in the west, and TheMcD proceeds to gain some ground there.

Black Hole - End of Day 9

Reynolds begins her attack on TheMcD's lab with her 9 HP infantry, while also laying siege to the property beside TheMcD's HQ. Unfortunately, a tank and a medium tank on the southern front are marching right up to prevent Doctor Reynolds from doing anything on that end as of the moment. Reynolds responds with her own medium tank on her eastern base, while also fortifying a defense around her HQ, with her infantry and tank guarding her medium tank. If TheMcD attacks into that, he might lose some ground on that front when Reynolds counterattacks with her own medium tank.

Blue Moon - End of Day 9

TheMcD takes the aggressive approach to Reynolds's moves, and causes her some problems in the southeastern front of the map, with TheMcD's medium tank attacking a tank, and a tank attacking the capturing infantry beside the HQ. As well, TheMcD has his medium tank attack into Doctor Reynolds's tank south of Doctor Reynolds's HQ. I suppose since TheMcD has a reserve medium tank that he just built on his factory this turn, it shouldn't be too much of a loss for him, but I don't think the trade-off of a tank for a medium tank is necessarily equivalent. Also, a bit of damage was done to the infantry capturing TheMcD's lab.

Black Hole - End of Day 11

I decided to skip forward a few turns here to get past the skirmishes which occurred in the center of the map, and show the result of TheMcD's strategy: he managed to successfully push Doctor Reynolds into a corner on this side of the map with his extra medium tank and a tank: by using his 3 HP infantry on the city north of the comm. tower and his 4 HP medium tank, he managed to intimidate Doctor Reynolds out of the center of the map, for the time being. Doctor Reynolds seems to be responding by consolidating her units and dealing damage to whatever happens to be within safe range of TheMcD's units (in this case, her 8 HP medium tank attacked the 3 HP tank closest to her comm. tower).

Also, TheMcD built some rockets on his southern base over the last turn or so.

Blue Moon - End of Day 11

There's always a small bit of joy that I feel whenever I see a piperunner actually being used.

On another note, TheMcD left his medium tank south of his 3 HP infantry rather open to attack from Doctor Reynolds. It seemed to be the major offensive unit for TheMcD's assault on that front...

Black Hole - End of Day 12

This might be the beginning of the end for TheMcD's offensive advantage: Doctor Reynolds turned around and trashed TheMcD's medium tank that was leading the assault on the central front, while regaining some ground in that area as well. Doctor Reynolds is also almost done finally capturing the last few neutral cities in the northern part of the map, giving her a slight funding advantage over TheMcD. This match seems to be turning around a bit!

Black Hole - End of Day 13

In the previous turn, TheMcD decided to attempt to capture the comm. tower that Doctor Reynolds controlled, while walling it off with two tanks to prevent any interference. This prompts Doctor Reynolds to use the first CO power of the game, and dropping black wave rather early for the sake of protecting that tower. Doctor Reynolds continues to also gain ground in the center, rolling over whatever units hppen to be in her way, as well as put TheMcD's rockets under threat.

Blue Moon - End of Day 13

TheMcD does quite a number on Reynolds's units with winter fury being used, and manages to add on a ton of extra lairs to the defense of his rockets in the south: not only does TheMcD protect the rocket with two infantry, but his piperunner is also set up to fire against whatever happens to attack that rocket. Also, TheMcD has built another piperunner on his rightmost base; a unit which can easily waste whatever comes off of Doctor Reynolds's rightmost base.

Those piperunners are going to be extremely difficult to hit without any artillery either. With just a few of those things, TheMcD has made quite the comeback.

Black Hole - End of Day 15

Despite the best efforts of Doctor Reynolds, she couldn't prevent her comm. tower from being taken, but she seems to be reclaiming it to the best of her efforts. As well, Doctor Reynolds built some rockets to keep the piperunner away from her eastern base. Though it's difficult to handle things the way they are now in the center, Doctor Reynolds is attacking whatever is outside of the range of the piperunners that TheMcD has built, and has a few numbers still hanging around in the northern front. Though indirect combat units and piperunners are good for a defensive setup and disruption, they won't be able to take the northern front. TheMcD might need to build some direct combat units to finish off some of Doctor Reynolds's weakened forces.

On the northwest side of the map, Doctor Reynolds's black boat has her infantry about to capture an airport. Without the use of battle copters or bombers yet, I assume she's planning to use it later.

Blue Moon - End of Day 16

In the previous turn, Doctor Reynolds used black wave and did a number on quite a few of TheMcD's stray units outside of piperunner firing, as well as finally got around that wall protecting TheMcD's rockets (at the cost of a few medium tanks). TheMcD seems to not be dealing with very many units at this point, beyond his piperunners and a few infantry, as well as a tank. TheMcD looks as if he's been pushed into quite the corner.

Black Hole - End of Day 18

Doctor Reynolds commented on this in the thread, but the way that she got out of the piperunner threat that TheMcD has set up was simply waiting for most of them to run out of ammunition. As well, with Doctor Reynolds consistently laying siege to the lab that TheMcD has captured, TheMcD is forced to attack the infantry with the piperunners that he has built. With artillery and tanks threatening the piperunners on the western pipes, and rockets and a medium tank threatening the one on the east side, there isn't much TheMcD can really do with them without costing himself one or two of them.

Blue Moon - End of Day 23

A few more back and forths occur between the two players, but ultimately with the lab captured in the western portion of the map, as well as TheMcD's piperunners on the central pipes running out of ammunition, TheMcD calls it quits, seeing that his main line of defense was broken by Doctor Reynolds in the end.

Ultimately, I think what ended TheMcD's game here was unit deployment and an overreliance on the effective yet limited use of piperunners. Doctor Reynolds, with quantity, was able to find a way around constantly being bombarded by the piperunners in question, and as soon as the supply line ran out, TheMcD was put into an unwinnable situation. Thus, Doctor Reynolds makes it to the semifinals.

Stay tuned to see the rest of the second round!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Paul.Power and Keiya will be playing on this map. SuccessfulStudent and GameroftheGame will be playing on this map.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Game's up. Password: goons. Good luck and have fun, Keiya!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 9, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Slur posted:

SuccessfulStudent and GameroftheGame will be playing on this map.

I feel you are playing into my gimmick, here.

Game is created, pass is lljk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

javier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Whoops, mistyped the password as "goones". Sorry Keiya. Let's hope my playing's better than my organising :v:

• Locked thread