Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't think you can blame it all on the shows faults at the budget. How do you explain Quarth or Dorne if not with the fact that D&D change stuff because they believe it will make the show more appealing to certain audiences.

Qarth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You have to go through the rope bridges to get between the different Towers at Pyke, Iron Born consider it cowardly to consider it to be a big scary ordeal.

That's also how he dies in the books.

Well, it's reported that he fell off a bridge during a storm, but no more details than that. Since Mel's magic was genuine in causing Renly's death and that guy at Storm's End too, I always figured he did indeed fall victim to her shadow magic somehow, whether it was a sudden gust of wind or a shadow assassin that pushed him off or who knows. Apparently some people were speculating that it may have been Euron who did the deed/sent an assassin even way back when the 3rd book came out, though, so whatever.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't think you can blame it all on the shows faults at the budget. How do you explain Quarth or Dorne if not with the fact that D&D change stuff because they believe it will make the show more appealing to certain audiences.

I wasn't, I'm just making the point that an animated version would be more capable of showing things like the huge battles, and perhaps be a bit more dynamic with various shots to show the size of the various cities. It could also be somewhat more faithful with character appearances. I love GoT, I just think this hypothetical animated version could have its own great qualities - especially if they have the benefit of hindsight, both in terms of GoT and the final books (if they're out be then).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

I confess, after the first read through I became an adherent of Roy Dotrice.

Drunk in Space posted:

Well, it's reported that he fell off a bridge during a storm, but no more details than that. Since Mel's magic was genuine in causing Renly's death and that guy at Storm's End too, I always figured he did indeed fall victim to her shadow magic somehow, whether it was a sudden gust of wind or a shadow assassin that pushed him off or who knows. Apparently some people were speculating that it may have been Euron who did the deed/sent an assassin even way back when the 3rd book came out, though, so whatever.

Did you think Mel's shadow magic also killed Joffrey and Robb?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Inst a big relief to finally really *know* happens to Jon?

I mean, we all always knew that he was going to be ressurrected either way, but after all this years to finally know it for sure. loving George left us in so many cliffhangers, for all its faults the series will at least shows us what happens.

The show got many things wrong and made some stupid decisions and, well, Dorne. But when I remember how boring I found those last two books, and how Tyrion never even got inside Meeren, and Quentin, stuff like FAegon, gently caress, I rather have the show.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 2, 2016

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Are there any theories that Sansa is pregnant with Ramsay's kid?

I bet they could do an abortion angle, they hit every other taboo / controversial subject.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Did you think Mel's shadow magic also killed Joffrey and Robb?

No? We saw their deaths and it clearly wasn't shadow magic. But we saw Renly's death too, and it clearly was shadow magic, as well as the shadow baby at Storm's End that went on to kill the castellan (or whatever he was) there. Seemed reasonable Balon may have copped some shadow magic himself even if Robb and Joff didn't.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Balon was killed by a faceless man hired by Euron. Melisandre didn't do jack poo poo to him, Joffrey or Robb, other than predict that they were going to die in the near future and decided to convince Stannis that she had a finger in each of their deaths to convince him of her usefulness.

E: lol I just realized Melisandre had faith enough to resurrect Jon just after Balon died. Obviously his death was the catalyst that rekindled it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 2, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked the episode fine. I'm really sick of Ramsay but hey if they wanna do a storyline leading up to him getting beaten and killed I can go for that.

I'm just glad Balon finally died.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Episode owned. Lots of well paced scenes with some good dialogue and opportunities for the characters to just breathe and do their thing and plenty of good set up. Much better than the shite we were served last week.

And Ramsey owned for a change. Killing Roose with the same wound that killed off Robb Stark is a nice touch from the writers too.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The effects on the dragons were excellent in this episode, probably the best they've been so far. They went to some lengths to make the dragons look more demonic and hellish than ever before, and had then on screen for a fair amount of time too, which gave you a bit more time to soak in the detail on them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Book Theon makes a bigger effort and more proactive in redeeming himself. Show Theon is still kind of scarred for life. Show Theon is more believable.

Off topic, if and when GRRM kicks the bucket, I hope the published contract the right man to finish the series in Martin's style. #teamdavehill

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It would be funny if Theon shows up to the Iron Islands in the next episode with no explanation as to how he got there.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It would be funny if Theon shows up to the Iron Islands in the next episode with no explanation as to how he got there.

The episode could very well have ended with Theon being the one chucking his dad off the bridge at Pyke given who was writing it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

And Ramsey owned for a change. Killing Roose with the same wound that killed off Robb Stark is a nice touch from the writers too.

I wish he had whispered "Robb Stark sends his regards" as he stabbed him, then pirouetted off-screen.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm quite interested in seeing Melisandre's reaction to Jon's resurrection. "Holy poo poo, it actually worked? I mean, praise be to R'Hllor!"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Azazell0 posted:

I'm quite interested in seeing Melisandre's reaction to Jon's resurrection. "Holy poo poo, it actually worked? I mean, praise be to R'Hllor!"

Also the rest of the NW guys. I mean, they are supposed to have a big problem with people raising from the dead

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know how Theon regrets going back home and regrets trying to win the respect of the iron islanders, and wishes he would have died at Robb's side' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, 'doesn't it make sense that he would try to go back home to the place where he didn't belong to be with the family that didn't respect him with no way of getting there?' You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'Doesn't it also makes sense that he would leave Sansa after having everything they've been through without making absolutely sure she was brought to safety? 'That too makes sense." 'I guess maybe Theon can swim to Pyke because how else is he gonna get there?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I will forgive Dave Hill everything if Jon goes naked Brock Samson on the officer corps

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Super Ninja Fish posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know how Theon regrets going back home and regrets trying to win the respect of the iron islanders, and wishes he would have died at Robb's side' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, 'doesn't it make sense that he would try to go back home to the place where he didn't belong to be with the family that didn't respect him with no way of getting there?' You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'Doesn't it also makes sense that he would leave Sansa after having everything they've been through without making absolutely sure she was brought to safety? 'That too makes sense." 'I guess maybe Theon can swim to Pyke because how else is he gonna get there?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

What was the original quote? This has been getting a lot of comedy miles.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Dave Hill joke is more played out than how evil Ramsey is.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

A Strange Aeon posted:

What was the original quote? This has been getting a lot of comedy miles.

quote:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that kid (Olly) whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Black and become a Night's Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he's the one who ends up killing Ygritte?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."[3]

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain why one of the stab wounds on Jon is curved? It looks almost like a semicricle.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

The effects on the dragons were excellent in this episode, probably the best they've been so far. They went to some lengths to make the dragons look more demonic and hellish than ever before, and had then on screen for a fair amount of time too, which gave you a bit more time to soak in the detail on them.

Yeah, when the dragons came onscreen I let a very Keanu-esque "whoa!" fly. Also loved it when the dragon chuffed at Tyrion's joke :3

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I really dont think is that absurd that Theon would go back to the Iron Islands.

He literally has nowhere else to go. He cant keep hanging out with Sansa and Brienne since their are going to Jon and he doenst wants to show his face to him. He cant go back to Winterfell. He is too broken physically and mentally to survive alone anywhere else.

At this point, his only other choice other than going back to his country is killing himself. There he will have no respect from anyone, even less than before. But he has reason to think that at least they will give him food and a place to sleep.

Eandr
Oct 9, 2012
"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Davos) who's loyal to Stannis? The one who constantly warns him that Melisandre is evil and hates and fears her magic?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Black after Stannis and Jon's deaths? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if he's the one who ends up convincing Melisandre to resurrect Jon Snow?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Tower of Joy has been this sacred scene among book readers for over a decade. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull off the impact we hope it'll have. Not just the parentage reveal, but the dialogs in the scene are really memorable too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Drunk in Space posted:

There's a vision in the books of a man with no face on a swaying bridge so the implication in the books at least is a faceless man killed Balon.

I like the way the show did it though. We needed Euron established as a cool dude and the scene was well acted.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Super Ninja Fish posted:

"Wasn't easy."

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Dave posted:

The Dave Hill joke is more played out than how evil Ramsey is.

Goons will never be over this Hill.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So the show confirmed Tyrion is a secret targ, right? Dragons didn't eat him. He touched the dragon without getting burned.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Eandr posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that guy (Davos) who's loyal to Stannis? The one who constantly warns him that Melisandre is evil and hates and fears her magic?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Black after Stannis and Jon's deaths? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if he's the one who ends up convincing Melisandre to resurrect Jon Snow?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

That was the part that really stuck out to me in this ep, even more so than Roose's stupid death. Why is Davos suddenly on team Jon and so invested in saving him? Where did that even come from? (seriously, was there some special bonding moment between them last season that I missed? I don't remember much about it). And leaving aside why he would ever put any faith in the red witch he's supposed to loathe, why would he have this harebrained idea that she can raise the dead? "You can survive poison and make shadow killers come out of your twat, so that means you can totally bring people back to life too right . . . right?"

Does Davos know that Mel convinced Stannis to burn Shireen?

Ginette Reno posted:

There's a vision in the books of a man with no face on a swaying bridge so the implication in the books at least is a faceless man killed Balon.

I like the way the show did it though. We needed Euron established as a cool dude and the scene was well acted.

Yeah, Euron being the one to actually kill Balon is fine and good. I read the books sometime around 2006 and didn't look up theories or talk about them on forums straight away, so I wasn't aware of the Euron speculation until much later, and just assumed that in Balon's case Mel actually got a hit as she had done a couple of times before.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I was really looking forward to Euron showing up this season, didn't really like the actor in his first scene but we'll see whether he can pull it off I guess. Just hoping this isn't another Dario Needs To Be Hunkier situation.

Was there ever any truth to the Mads Mikkelsen speculation or was that just the most wishful thinking by fans? Didn't keep up with casting news but I came across some stuff while looking for the new guy on IMDB, now I really want the version of this show with Hannibal in it. HE EVEN HAS EXPERIENCE PLAYING A CREEPY BADASS VIKING CALLED ONE-EYE, IT'S A NO-BRAINER :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

whalesteak posted:

Yeah, when the dragons came onscreen I let a very Keanu-esque "whoa!" fly. Also loved it when the dragon chuffed at Tyrion's joke :3

Really!? That's amazing. I saw how the other Dragon reached out his neck to let Tyrion release them, that was pretty amazing. It would be ever better if they can understand people talk.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Really looking forward to seeing Jon and Meera twin babies next week during the flashback.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You know despite his dickishness I liked how Balon kept pretty much all of his dignity that being a King entailed; he had to have known he was likely going to die on that bridge.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Groke posted:

Although it's offscreen and much earlier.

An unclear if it was by a faceless man.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
After studying the preview some more I'm really looking forward to hate-watching that scene. Not only did they not get the numbers right (looks like Ned has only 5 companions which does not make it 7 vs 3 but 6 vs 3) but Dayne fighting Legolas/Hollywood style with akimbo long swords instead of Dawn against Ned who does not yet have Ice* and for some strange reason doesn't wear any armor beside his leather tunic is just wrong.

* There are logical reasons why he does not yet fight with Ice, but goddamn would it have been nice to have seen it in real action at least once

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Drunk in Space posted:

That was the part that really stuck out to me in this ep, even more so than Roose's stupid death. Why is Davos suddenly on team Jon and so invested in saving him? Where did that even come from? (seriously, was there some special bonding moment between them last season that I missed? I don't remember much about it). And leaving aside why he would ever put any faith in the red witch he's supposed to loathe, why would he have this harebrained idea that she can raise the dead? "You can survive poison and make shadow killers come out of your twat, so that means you can totally bring people back to life too right . . . right?"

Does Davos know that Mel convinced Stannis to burn Shireen?

Yeah, Euron being the one to actually kill Balon is fine and good. I read the books sometime around 2006 and didn't look up theories or talk about them on forums straight away, so I wasn't aware of the Euron speculation until much later, and just assumed that in Balon's case Mel actually got a hit as she had done a couple of times before.

I don't think Davos's support for Job necessarily means he is on team Jon so much as he is on team Westeros, which was the reason he talked Stannis into going up there and helping the Night's Watch in the first place. Jon, like Stannis, makes principled unpopular decisions guided by some degree of foresight. Davos sees Jon's reasoning as being better for the realm than that of Jon's assassins, which would leave a paltry force on the wall with an angry army of Wildlings on one side and the Others on the other.

As for why he goes to Mel, that seemed out of character. Or, at least the way he did it. If he approached it in more of a "I don't like you, but I'm a practical man and can't deny that what you do works" way, it would have the same result but be less weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Davos support for Jon does makes some sense (he is an honorable guy, finds Jon to be one too, admired his father etc).

What doenst makes much sense is his sudden confidence and love for Melisandre powers, after all this time advising Stannis to not trust her and her dark magic.

Specially if he knows that she burned Shireen alive, but we dont know about that (he knows that she is dead, but I dont know if he knows how she died)

EDIT: also, I found a but strange how Thorne addressed him though the door, not his own NW brothers, like he was naturally considered the leader of that little insurrection

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 2, 2016

• Locked thread