Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I've found XP pretty easy to get post-patch. Put on your food and utility buffs for 10% each, guild XP buff, celebration boost, two kind of experience booster (mostly from BL chests/gem store), and then don't forget that there are two different kinds of lunar new year fireworks that each give 10% buffs too. If you can get an experience banner to throw down, even better. Have all of these running while you fiddle around in HoT zones and you'll have the EXP for ley line gliding faster than you can get the mastery points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

There's enough mastery points from just the channels, story chapters and random discoverables (for instance, there's a mastery point tied to finding ten Itzel totems in Verdant Brink that can be obtained in under five minutes just reading a guide) that you can scrounge up enough without having to adventure too hard.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Re: points, I have my HoT masteries maxed out and I mostly hate adventures. All I did was get gold on the ones where it's extremely easy to get it (I think only the car one once I had poison mastery and the salvage pit one) silver on most of the others except the ones I found difficult (scrap rifle, shooting gallery, fungus among us) and then picked up gold on flying circus because gliding is fun so I didn't mind redoing it.

You get a ton of points from storyline + map exploration, and two of the story achievement points are more about doing extra content within an instance than doing anything difficult so they're easy to get too. I only had to start actively targeting points for my last couple of masteries and even then I stayed away from difficult ones like the mushroom jumping puzzle.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

knowonecanknow posted:

After doing HoT story and the adventures I had so many mastery points I didn't know what to do with them.

I see you creepin up on some of the Lifetime leaderboards, come at me bro

Also this feels like a good time to advertise my Adventures Guide, which includes new videos of me doing the Adventures and some full video guides with on-screen tips and diagrams

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/players/Guide-Adventures-Silver-Gold-and-beyond

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

I've found XP pretty easy to get post-patch. Put on your food and utility buffs for 10% each, guild XP buff, celebration boost, two kind of experience booster (mostly from BL chests/gem store), and then don't forget that there are two different kinds of lunar new year fireworks that each give 10% buffs too. If you can get an experience banner to throw down, even better. Have all of these running while you fiddle around in HoT zones and you'll have the EXP for ley line gliding faster than you can get the mastery points!

How much did it get increased? Before the patch, I'd do AB with dreggon and he showed me all the tricks like being on the dome at the top, I'd have so many boosts on, every single one possible, do the entire meta, and barely get a quarter of an XP bar. It was lovely and disheartening.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i have gold on every adventure now :woop:

here are the hard ones in no particular order

1. shooting gallery pre-patch - complete bullshit, only active for about 15 minutes at a time, RNG dependent, now heavily nerfed and probably easier
2. floor is lava - requires you to learn the 'correct' routes so you can jump and hit things in 'working' orders to save enough time to pick everything up. latency can and will screw you here because of bouncing mushrooms and the spore things
3. fallen masks - rng bullshit, latency on bouncing mushrooms
4. fungus among us - i don't even know where to start here, the first time i ever completed this i got gold because actually completing a run at all is extremely difficult. by the time you're good enough to complete this adventure, you're good enough to get gold.
5. loving scrap rifle - the chak do whatever they want and i don't know how to fix this. luckily i don't have to

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I suppose my HoT experience (lol) is quite a bit different from most people's due to my running something like 20 HP trains pre-patch. :downs:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Dreggon posted:

i have gold on every adventure now :woop:

here are the hard ones in no particular order

1. shooting gallery pre-patch - complete bullshit, only active for about 15 minutes at a time, RNG dependent, now heavily nerfed and probably easier
2. floor is lava - requires you to learn the 'correct' routes so you can jump and hit things in 'working' orders to save enough time to pick everything up. latency can and will screw you here because of bouncing mushrooms and the spore things
3. fallen masks - rng bullshit, latency on bouncing mushrooms
4. fungus among us - i don't even know where to start here, the first time i ever completed this i got gold because actually completing a run at all is extremely difficult. by the time you're good enough to complete this adventure, you're good enough to get gold.
5. loving scrap rifle - the chak do whatever they want and i don't know how to fix this. luckily i don't have to

0. Haywire Punch-o-matic Battle pre-patch: The only Adventure where literally no one in the entire world could get Gold. Best was 221 in 2:00 when 230 was required.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Carrying pubbies through CoF story mode is just so... :negative:

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I been playing around with ranger and so far i am enjoying the new sword auto attack, it makes playing a ranger so mush more enjoyable.. i also enjoy the durid bonuses since it give you a small window of a pocket healer.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

lucifirius posted:

Carrying pubbies through CoF story mode is just so... :negative:

Try buying more somethingawful.com forums upgrades until it's easier. Platinum alone doubles your advantage over non-members.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

CLAM DOWN posted:

How much did it get increased? Before the patch, I'd do AB with dreggon and he showed me all the tricks like being on the dome at the top, I'd have so many boosts on, every single one possible, do the entire meta, and barely get a quarter of an XP bar. It was lovely and disheartening.

Something like 50%? Not totally sure, but either way you get plenty of experience now. It's much more tolerable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

Something like 50%? Not totally sure, but either way you get plenty of experience now. It's much more tolerable.

That's awesome! Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it this week :)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i haven't messed around with it way too much but exp gain definitely feels a lot better. it's not super fast by any means, but compared to the relatively slow crawl before it actually looks to be going somewhere.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The patch notes mentioned something about a 50% across the board XP increase.

Worth noting that this is (or should be, I have no idea how it wouldn't be) an increase to base values, so it stacks multiplicatively with XP boosts. If you've got 50% XP boost, 100% from Killstreak, and 10% from guild hall you'll be getting a little under 5 times as much XP as you did before without boosts, for reference.

Easy way to get XP boosters is to do WvW dailies, the Transcendent Chests from them give 20 minutes of XP booster. I hoarded them and popped them en masse whenever I did Dragon's Stand and it powered me through all the Heart of Thorns masteries pretty quickly. If you do daily Fractals it will quickly get you XP for Central Tyria masteries.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Is anyone interested in doing some baby fractals to snag the mastery points from them? I haven't dabbled much in fractals and would love to knock some of those out to get my legendary.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i always felt catering to the hardcore at the launch of HOT was very dumb, more dumb when blizzard did it with Cata since the game was "hard" before it went easy so i understand why they wanted heroics to feel heroics. but GW2 was always a casual game, it was pissing on the core playerbase of the game.

i am not going to be welcoming our new overloads yet but so far it makes me happy that colin is gone, he seem like he had no clue what to do with the game and he changed directions every month.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Cyron posted:

i always felt catering to the hardcore at the launch of HOT was very dumb, more dumb when blizzard did it with Cata since the game was "hard" before it went easy so i understand why they wanted heroics to feel heroics. but GW2 was always a casual game, it was pissing on the core playerbase of the game.

i am not going to be welcoming our new overloads yet but so far it makes me happy that colin is gone, he seem like he had no clue what to do with the game and he changed directions every month.

it's like the festering cancer that are wildstar employees metastasized by being fired and immediately went to work making GBS threads up other mmos

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
There was nothing hardcore about launch HoT, the map meta timers were just inconvenient.

Unless people are still complaining about the "difficulty" of HoT zone mobs, or reacting to the presence of raids without knowing anything about them, which are entirely personal competency issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

you'll be getting a little under 5 times as much XP as you did before without boosts

Holy, for real??? Ok, I gotta try the HoT meta events again.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

There was nothing hardcore about launch HoT, the map meta timers were just inconvenient.

The "hardcore" part of it that I (and others) strongly disliked and totally called way in advance was the time commitment. Sounds like that's been improved though, I've been WvWing since the patch and haven't really retried things.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Unless people are still complaining about the "difficulty" of HoT zone mobs, or reacting to the presence of raids without knowing anything about them, which are entirely personal competency issues.

chak gerent was essentially impossible, hero points mostly needed 5+ people to do, you needed to do the zone meta like 5 times to buy the stuff for a single weapon. that's a good start

CLAM DOWN posted:

The "hardcore" part of it that I (and others) strongly disliked and totally called way in advance was the time commitment. Sounds like that's been improved though, I've been WvWing since the patch and haven't really retried things.
I played for a few hours yesterday and my Ley Line Gliding went from 0 to 60% with a few metas. Also Dragon Stand and the meta boss fights are the only things with participation bars now.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Adhesive Gamin posted:

nah, they threw around mmo buzzwords like "progression" and "metroidvania" to attract the hardcore crowd during the expansion hype phase

didn't work, but they tried

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You also needed to do almost every single hero point in the HoT regions if you didn't have a full world completion character to get your entire elite.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ehhh I was able to get the full elite spec unlocked during the hp train on characters with like 10% world completion, and those trains just did the first two regions of hot.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Thunderbro posted:

hero points mostly needed 5+ people to do
Which they still didn't fix, by the way. I was sure they were going to knock all the hero challenge champions down to veterans, because making people beg other players for basic map completion is the dumbest loving thing, but they didn't because... reasons?

Eltoasto posted:

Ehhh I was able to get the full elite spec unlocked during the hp train on characters with like 10% world completion, and those trains just did the first two regions of hot.
At launch they required 400 hero points to unlock, because Anet had no idea what they were doing/wanted to devalue the hero points we already had (this is also why the HoT hero points are worth more).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eltoasto posted:

Before or after the patch that knocked it down from 400 to 250

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah - 100% XP Base, +50% for XP Booster, +100% for Killstreak Booster, +10% for Guildhall boost = 360% as much XP as before.

Factor in that XP from everything has been increased by ~50% and that these are all multiplicative boosts on top of that and you get 1.5 x 360% = 540% XP (okay actually I did my headmath wrong the first time, it's MORE than 5x) compared to unboosted pre-patch. Without the killstreak boost it drops to a less impressive 390% (ie +3x instead of +4.5x). Doing a round of Dragon's Stand with Elementalist or Guardian lootstick is a really good way to get a ton of XP and to keep your killstreak booster topped off all the time.

I think all that only applies to killing mobs though, so for XP I definitely recommend Dragon's Stand or Raids.

E: I looked at the patch notes and the +50% XP change is for killing things, so definitely do DS if you want XP. Bring your boosters, get all hopped up on boosts, and dunk a dragon!

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 2, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Oh yeah, forgot about the pre-nerf hp nerf

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Lyer posted:

nah, they threw around mmo buzzwords like "progression" and "metroidvania" to attract the hardcore crowd during the expansion hype phase

didn't work, but they tried

Yeah when I think "hardcore raiding MMO", I definitly think metroidvania

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Can anyone recommend me any easy to play, easy to build WvW setups? Any class, though I'm partial to Engi, Rev, and Ele when it comes to pvp

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

Yeah when I think "hardcore raiding MMO", I definitly think metroidvania

same but wildstar

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Magres posted:

Can anyone recommend me any easy to play, easy to build WvW setups? Any class, though I'm partial to Engi, Rev, and Ele when it comes to pvp

Solo roam or group?

For group you can play the current Auramancer Cleric sPvP build in WvW, D/F or staff. Or just play the Zerk/Marauder Fire/Air Staff Tempest.

edit: for reference, my Go-To build is Fire 112 Air 133 Tempest 133, cast Staff Air 3 and 5 and Earth 4 liberally aside from bombing people the gently caress out of the map with fire skills.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 3, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Solo roam or group?

For group you can play the current Auramancer Cleric sPvP build in WvW, D/F or staff. Or just play the Zerk/Marauder Fire/Air Staff Tempest.

edit: for reference, my Go-To build is Fire 112 Air 133 Tempest 133, cast Staff Air 3 and 5 and Earth 4 liberally aside from bombing people the gently caress out of the map with fire skills.

Awesome, thank you! Looking for both, actually, so if anyone has a good roaming build I'm all ears for that too.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

U.T. Raptor posted:

Which they still didn't fix, by the way. I was sure they were going to knock all the hero challenge champions down to veterans, because making people beg other players for basic map completion is the dumbest loving thing, but they didn't because... reasons?

They :airquote:Fixed:airquote: that by throwing in a wiggle box repeatable reward (once a day?) for doing the group ones. Sure its not much but its something and depending on how hard it is to reach the hero point, people will usually come. Frogs in VB for example is a pretty reliable "Ill help!" if you ask.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Magres posted:

Hammer Rev. Reflect bullshit, smack huge numbers from huge range, buff your bros, and run really really fast at all times. It's a blast!

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Is the base game worth playing without HoT?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

quote:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQNBIhZ4kjGolGsmGgeTsoNYxVwMYIcKAkAiAUZgUwiC-TFSBAB8pPoRlgP8EA6SJ1/7PclyFAOFAeq+DpAiYrF-w

You'll spend alotta time in reaper mode with this, basically throw your wells into the bad guys, go into reaper mode and spinny around on them and go from there.

food and nourishment are important!

from sfd forums, it's what I run on bee man.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

objects in mirror posted:

Yeah, but you'd be missing out on a lot.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

objects in mirror posted:

Below max level you won't be missing anything except revenant. Once you hit the top you'll probably be missing out, though. Masteries, the new zones, new specializations and all that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

we're so loving bad at this

• Locked thread