Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Two questions:

First - I remember there used to be an IRC channel; is there still an IRC channel, or did it die off?

Second - I just got a KitchenAid Custom Metallic stand mixer. Apart from putting it back in the box and mailing it to someone, what the heck should I make with this thing? I'm thinking bread, but I'm not quite sure of all the things I can do with one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

Cheers defectivemonkey. Didn't specify in my original post but I was looking for something I could share with the whole family. The recipe says the bourbon is optional but if you're saying it's a must have then it sounds like a fine candidate for an "adults only" banana bread. Certainly willing to try making both and reporting back. Out of interest, have you tried playing around with other liquor? I'd be interested to try playing around with cognac or brandy or something.

Oh you can totally leave out the booze. You can also add chocolate chips. I've done it with lots of random alcohol. We have a bottle of spiced rum that I use sometimes. Dark rum is also a great substitute. It's not much at all and the recipe has a lot of other flavors so you're just going to be playing with tiny subtleties. If you have any big, granulated raw sugar that's great sprinkled on top.

Trying the banana juice one next though!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Second - I just got a KitchenAid Custom Metallic stand mixer. Apart from putting it back in the box and mailing it to someone, what the heck should I make with this thing? I'm thinking bread, but I'm not quite sure of all the things I can do with one of these.

I don't bake, so I use mine almost exclusively for (a) pasta and (b) sausage. Granted you need to shell out some more cash for the attachments but they are totally worth it in my opinion, especially the pasta roller attachment, which makes the process ten times easier and faster than a hand crank.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

I mostly use mine for baking (bread, thick cookie doughs), but the whisk attachment is probably helpful for souffles. I know my mom uses hers for mashed potatoes.

I grew up with one on the counter that was used for everything. Brownies, banana bread...Anything that needed to be stirred. Now that mine is in the cabinet I've realized that it's not as essential as I thought, but it's still pretty essential for a few things.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I use my mixer for meatloaf, it works much better for getting the right texture than hand mixing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I hate tomatoes. I really like tomato based foods and sauce
s, and even roasted tomatoes I really like, but it's hard for me to just straight up eat a tomato on something. I think it's because I don't like the wetness/juicyness of a tomato. I would like to get out of that. Is there a tomato variety that isn't as liquidy on the inside?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

s, and even roasted tomatoes I really like, but it's hard for me to just straight up eat a tomato on something. I think it's because I don't like the wetness/juicyness of a tomato. I would like to get out of that. Is there a tomato variety that isn't as liquidy on the inside?

Yes! Roma tomatoes or any sauce tomato aren't very liquidy inside. Usually heirloom tomatoes, too (but those are more of a crapshoot).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Canuck-Errant posted:

I made chocolate soufflés in my stand mixer tonight. I couldn't finish the third one. First time and they came out okay

Recipe (halved): http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-chocolate-souffle-222469

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Capsaicin posted:

If the tomatoes have too many seeds and too much slop in them, I'll poke my finger in each cavity and scoop that poo poo into the trash. That leaves just the flesh and skin remaining. You can do it quickly after halving the tomato.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Capsaicin posted:

Try some Black Krims.

The Ferret King posted:

If the tomatoes have too many seeds and too much slop in them, I'll poke my finger in each cavity and scoop that poo poo into the trash. That leaves just the flesh and skin remaining. You can do it quickly after halving the tomato.
The downside of this is that most of the glutamate, and therefore savoury flavour, in a tomato is in the mucilage around the seeds.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

defectivemonkey posted:

Oh you can totally leave out the booze. You can also add chocolate chips. I've done it with lots of random alcohol. We have a bottle of spiced rum that I use sometimes. Dark rum is also a great substitute. It's not much at all and the recipe has a lot of other flavors so you're just going to be playing with tiny subtleties. If you have any big, granulated raw sugar that's great sprinkled on top.

Trying the banana juice one next though!

Oh rad. I'm gunna try both! All sorts of ways.

Capsaicin posted:

Vertical cuts of Beefsteak tomato (From stem to...butthole?)

Also I got an answer for my Meringues question I asked earlier - oven definitely too hot. Derr. Getting oven thermo ASAP.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SubG posted:

Try some Black Krims.

The downside of this is that most of the glutamate, and therefore savoury flavour, in a tomato is in the mucilage around the seeds.

Ah ok. Chef Eric on Netflix said none of the flavor was there. But he says lots of things that are suspect.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I need some cooking pan help. I'm in the market for a nice set of tri-ply pots and pans and saw today that Amazon's gold box deal is an All-Clad 10 piece set for $400. I've used All-Clad before at my in-laws house and loved them, but I'm wondering if even the gold box price is justified vs something like this Calphalon Contemporary 13 piece set which is also tri-ply but is actually stainless-aluminum-stainless (vs aluminum-aluminum-stainless on the All-Clad set), comes with more pots, and is slightly cheaper. Do any of you guys have experience with either of these and can weigh in?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm not a fan of dropping 400 for non induction capable multiply. Not sure if that's relevant for you. I have the cuisinart tri set (wanted metal lids) and I like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh, I'm really surprised, why don't the All-Clads work with induction? They have steel, don't they? Is it just that they have very thin steel, and therefore not a lot of ferrous material to absorb electromagnetic waves?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Only for the internal layer, outer and core are AL

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mikey Purp posted:

I need some cooking pan help. I'm in the market for a nice set of tri-ply pots and pans and saw today that Amazon's gold box deal is an All-Clad 10 piece set for $400. I've used All-Clad before at my in-laws house and loved them, but I'm wondering if even the gold box price is justified vs something like this Calphalon Contemporary 13 piece set which is also tri-ply but is actually stainless-aluminum-stainless (vs aluminum-aluminum-stainless on the All-Clad set), comes with more pots, and is slightly cheaper. Do any of you guys have experience with either of these and can weigh in?

I have the Calphalon set and I love it. But I'm horribly amateur so my opinion isn't worth much.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Ferret King posted:

Ah ok. Chef Eric on Netflix said none of the flavor was there. But he says lots of things that are suspect.
Yeah, the idea that you want to scoop the wet bits and seeds out of a tomato because they're gross and/or flavourless is one of those things that everybody Just Knew since time immemorial (which in this case is the late 19th Century, which is really when the tomato started becoming a major crop in commercial agriculture). Then someone---and I'm about 90% sure it's Heston Blumenthal or one of the other early MG/modernist guys at the Fat Duck---sat down and actually did the science to determine what's where in the tomato. And it turns out that about 80% of the glutamate in a typical tomato is in the seeds and surrounding mucilage. There are also subtle flavour differences in different parts of tomato (which isn't particularly surprising, as that's true of pretty much everything that's grown, plant or animal).

As I recall they had some dish where they were using just the stuff in the locular cavities (those are the voids in the tomato that contain the seeds and the really wet poo poo) and the placental tissue (which is the firmer whitish stuff in the centre of the tomato) for something---spherification or whatever the gently caress---to get a transparent goo that tastes strongly of tomatoes. But for the average home cook the real takeaway is that whenever you're making sauce or a reduction or even if you're just throwing a slice on a sandwich you really want to keep all that stuff because it's adding a lot to the `tomatoness' of the tomato.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
Anyone got a good pecan pie recipe?

That might be my back-up plan though. Been wanting to do something a bit more fun/challenging, maybe with phyllo or puff pastry if anyone has a recommendation.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

Yeah, the idea that you want to scoop the wet bits and seeds out of a tomato because they're gross and/or flavourless is one of those things that everybody Just Knew since time immemorial (which in this case is the late 19th Century, which is really when the tomato started becoming a major crop in commercial agriculture). Then someone---and I'm about 90% sure it's Heston Blumenthal or one of the other early MG/modernist guys at the Fat Duck---sat down and actually did the science to determine what's where in the tomato. And it turns out that about 80% of the glutamate in a typical tomato is in the seeds and surrounding mucilage. There are also subtle flavour differences in different parts of tomato (which isn't particularly surprising, as that's true of pretty much everything that's grown, plant or animal).

As I recall they had some dish where they were using just the stuff in the locular cavities (those are the voids in the tomato that contain the seeds and the really wet poo poo) and the placental tissue (which is the firmer whitish stuff in the centre of the tomato) for something---spherification or whatever the gently caress---to get a transparent goo that tastes strongly of tomatoes. But for the average home cook the real takeaway is that whenever you're making sauce or a reduction or even if you're just throwing a slice on a sandwich you really want to keep all that stuff because it's adding a lot to the `tomatoness' of the tomato.

I remember this, I think Heston made a ketchup with the tomato innards? This was in his best ever burger show (I forget what that series was called), where he went all in on making a burger.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If I'm chopping a lot of tomatoes and end up with extra goopy bits I scrape that poo poo all up into a shot glass and drink it with a little sea salt and pepper :yum:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Eeyo posted:

I remember this, I think Heston made a ketchup with the tomato innards? This was in his best ever burger show (I forget what that series was called), where he went all in on making a burger.

"in search of perfection", and that's a great episode. He doesn't cover the sauce in detail on the show but I found an article where he describes it. It's not so much a ketchup as just a tomato concentrate:

quote:

Cut [six pounds worth of] tomatoes in half and scoop the jelly and seeds inside the tomatoes into a bowl. (Keep the tomato halves for another purpose).
Press the jelly through a very coarse sieve to remove seeds, any large pieces of flesh and the core.

Pour the liquid into a pan and reduce at a simmer until the liquid takes on a thick, ketchup-like consistency. Stir often as the concentrate thickens and lower the heat to avoid burning it.

Season with a little bit of salt to taste. The taste will be very intense, but when spread onto a burger bun for example, it will really enhance the meaty flavours of the burger.

I imagine just a bit of tomato paste might have a similar effect.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I miss eating kimchi and I live in a place where there is no way to get it in person.

Is there any store online that people would recommend buying it from or a particular brand or what have you?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there an agreed-upon method for taking the skin off of fish (salmon specifically)?

Related, is there anything tasty I can make using salmon skin with a little bit of meat stuck on it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's usually easier to just cook with the skin on. Get the salmon skin crispy and eat it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any threads for historical cooking type videos such as this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBtTK0XkPc

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Is there an agreed-upon method for taking the skin off of fish (salmon specifically)?

Related, is there anything tasty I can make using salmon skin with a little bit of meat stuck on it?

I just ask the guy at the seafood counter to take the skin off.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Grand Fromage posted:

It's usually easier to just cook with the skin on. Get the salmon skin crispy and eat it.
:agreed:

Don't be shy if the recipe says skinless, either. You're probably fine or even better off with the skin. But if you must, all I know is how to remove the skin after it's cooked.

Transfer the cooked fillet onto a paper towel-lined plate and allow it to cool slightly. Gently slide a thin, wide spatula between the flesh and skin and use the fingers of your free hand to help separate the skin. It should peel off easily and in one piece.

Also, if you're poaching the salmon, do it in water that barely covers a bed of lemon slices in the pan. Keeps the flavor from seeping out into the water too much, and the lemons keep the bottom of the fish from cooking too fast.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When I moved to Asia one of the things I noticed is fish is virtually always skin-on here and you just eat it. I don't know why we skin fish in the US, most of the fish skin has no flavor at all and the ones I've noticed something from, it's always good.

Leaving all the bones in because it's "too much trouble", to quote the Korean chef I asked about it, though...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Tendai posted:

I miss eating kimchi and I live in a place where there is no way to get it in person.

Is there any store online that people would recommend buying it from or a particular brand or what have you?

Do you live in a place with vegetables? Then you can make kimchi! It's super easy!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

Whoops. Will cook the rest of it skin-on though. What about the skins I already took off?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Crisp, devour.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

C-Euro posted:

Whoops. Will cook the rest of it skin-on though. What about the skins I already took off?

A crispy baked skin is the best part of eating salmon

also, you can use the skins to make crispy salmon skin sushi
(I'm not making that up: https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=crispy+salmon+skin+sushi )

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
oh, and a question...

I saw a bottle of prickly ash oil and I bought it,
as I dislike the whole heating and grinding part of the szechuan peppercorns.

Was that a good move? can it be compared to adding the peppercorn?
Any likers or haters out there with additional information?
I'd love to learn more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I suspect it's not going to work well, though they do sell that here. But protip, you don't have to toast and grind Sichuan pepper. Nobody here in Sichuan does that, you just throw in a handful of them (or many handfuls) whole. Sometimes they use whole twigs of fresh ones instead of dried, too. I've never seen them ground in Sichuan.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

paraquat posted:

oh, and a question...

I saw a bottle of prickly ash oil and I bought it,
as I dislike the whole heating and grinding part of the szechuan peppercorns.

Was that a good move? can it be compared to adding the peppercorn?
Any likers or haters out there with additional information?
I'd love to learn more.

Chili oil is a different ingredient, and recipes use differently than the peppercorns. That said, you can probably replace it in some contexts; it won't work in others. You have to add it at the end of cooking like any other flavored oil, and it could make your dishes greasy / oily. I think it depends on the recipe how well that will work. It'll probably work great on noodles and rice.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Oke, glad I asked!

Thanks Grand Fromage and Nicol Bolas,
it will be an additional ingredient in the kitchen then, not a replacement...and I'll stop being anal about the peppercorns and just throw them in the food, ha!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

baquerd posted:

Any threads for historical cooking type videos such as this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBtTK0XkPc

WHAT IS THAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBtTK0XkPc&t=87s

SOMEONE COOKED THE MYSTERY LEG FROM THE CHARCUTERIE THREAD

edit: Ok, so the Home Economist in the video is obviously some kind of wizard, there's no flour on her AT ALL.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 5, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Does anyone have a favorite tapenade recipe, preferably one that would go well with sardines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
1) I have a couple of turnips left over from making Cornish pastys. Any ideas what to do with them aside from making more Cornish pastys?

2) I've been getting into baking a bit more recently, and while the results have been tasty most recipes call for a :stare: amount of butter and/or lard. I get that some kind of fat is needed to make this stuff work, but is there any healthier substitute that will work 80% as well? e.g. can I sub in half olive oil and make a pretty-good-if-not-Platonic-ideal bread?