Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
does any champ stand out as coming out worse as a result of the mage rework instead of better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

rabidsquid posted:

That's actually the situation where most of that doesn't apply because a lot of mage supports do have kill pressure.

Hi it's me velkoz support, don't mind me just going to boop boop boop blurrggh =T=R=U=E=D=A=M=A=G=E=>>>

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kashuno posted:

does any champ stand out as coming out worse as a result of the mage rework instead of better?

I've heard complaints about Cass but I don't know how much weight they have.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Kashuno posted:

based on the pbe results annie, viktor, and syndra are all worse now barring people figuring out some kind of interesting build or having the meta suit them

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Morgana also shuts down the CC from a lot of those reworked mages, which are gonna be very popular. :getin:

I honestly haven't felt much of a desire to play for the last couple months. This season just hasn't been any fun, I'm hoping the mage update will help a bit.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah I agree with this advice. It's hard to do because your team is often making incredibly dumb, inefficient decisions, but if you just hang out with them and fight at the teamfight it's much better than putting a bit of pressure on an offlane while you whole team gets wiped.

Being stuck in Bronze and Silver, I can guarantee that this is unequivocally correct. I'm loving terrible at this game, but one thing I've learned is that Bronze/Silver will not wait for a fight when you are gone.

You can literally type, "Clearing bot then coming to team, please don't fight for 15 secs," and your Bronze team will initiate a 4v5 under the opposing team's tower. Same applies to taking a dragon, split pushing, taking a buff, or literally anything.

The best enlightenment I've come to with respect to Bronze/Silver is this: none of your teammates are thinking of you at all. In their minds, this is a solo game. Much like the advice that in life in general, we think that others are thinking about us far more than we are, in low tier League of Legends, we are wrong if we believe our teammates are ever factoring us into their decision making process.

If you are gone, they will not notice that. They will fight wherever they happen to be, no matter what the circumstances.

They will only notice you are gone after getting wiped, as they have time to figure out why it was not their fault while the death timer counts down.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New trailer for Taliyah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1nRIX-qvbo coming to kill Azir

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

SlyFrog posted:

The best enlightenment I've come to with respect to Bronze/Silver is this: none of your teammates are thinking of you at all.

I think the best enlightenment you could come to would be to realize that this is your mindset.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kashuno posted:

New trailer for Taliyah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1nRIX-qvbo coming to kill Azir

Ah, I see the new Avatar is an Earthbender.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Can't wait for next April Fools or whatever and the Urfbender skin.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

slydingdoor posted:

Can't wait for next April Fools or whatever and the Urfbender skin.

If this doesn't come out I will be disappointed

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kashuno posted:

I hope she kicks azir's rear end so hard that he gets deleted from the game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
She will come out before the next rotation of ascension

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Viktor looks substantially worse

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Firebert posted:

Viktor is just a sad, sad champion. Everything about him just sucks

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
where's mah water bender?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm convinced there will be a "bruiser" Viktor build that will see a lot of success but everyone will despise both playing and playing into it.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Man that video makes it seem like Azir is a badguy. How's a majestic birdman that turned a giant pile of lovely ruins and sand into a mega sandcastle evil? What's not to like?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Servaetes posted:

Man that video makes it seem like Azir is a badguy. How's a majestic birdman that turned a giant pile of lovely ruins and sand into a mega sandcastle evil? What's not to like?

i think the lore implied he was going to make everyone that lived in Shurima his slaves, and Rock Girl is worried about her family

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Servaetes posted:

wow i bet you sympathise with the pharoahs of egypt too, huh? fascist.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

a medical mystery posted:

I'm convinced there will be a "bruiser" Viktor build that will see a lot of success but everyone will despise both playing and playing into it.

On the PBE a 500+ AP Viktor Q didn't kill a level 16 Miss Fortune bot, and the burst damage after the laser couldn't even hit her at mid 300s speed as she ran away. In order to be a bruiser you have to be able to deal damage somehow.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Prokhor posted:

I think the best enlightenment you could come to would be to realize that this is your mindset.

No, it's theirs.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Libertine posted:

I've had more success playing Morgana support this season than just about any other pick and she's going to be way stronger with the mage itemization rework. You'll finally be able to pick up CDR from Abyssal and Zhonya's which are two of her best items.

I played a lot of Morgana mid this season and am not really that thrilled about the itemization rework. RoA, Abyssal, and Zhonyas were/are really good items on her, and those items are losing a ton of AP between them. FCQ/CDR boots/CDR blues gave you 35% before anyways, so while it will be kind of nice to be able to run some MR in blues again, she's such a strong and safe laner that it's hard to imagine anything being better than CDR. Maybe you can get away without a mana regen item at all now, which might be nice ... but FCQ was such a good item on her and the OP passive gold will be severely missed.

Firebert posted:

Viktor is close to the worst midlaner in the game right now already.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 2, 2016

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

seizure later posted:

wow i bet you sympathise with the pharoahs of egypt too, huh? fascist.

this dumb rear end actually believes anti shuriman propaganda made by demacians looking to protect their interests in the oil industry

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

blah_blah posted:

Yeah, but now in addition to having some really brutal matchups he scales like garbage too!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
does anyone have that video of the viktor rework where the guy tries to kill a bot with the laser and it just looks really useless. that poo poo was funny

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

this dumb rear end actually believes anti shuriman propaganda made by demacians looking to protect their interests in the oil industry

i believe in the free state of Ionia and that its ideals should be replicated to all nations. don't lump me in with those capitalists.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Elentor posted:

I know you guys hate Thorin overall but this is a pretty good video and a good reference:

* You're not as good as you think you are. Something every Plat+ player in this thread parrots over and over, and for a reason.

The problem with being in Bronze or Silver is that you have to grind way harder than you do at a higher elo to rank up, because often times your team will drag you down and waste your time. Yeah if you play consistently above your elo, you'll rank up, but the time you need to invest and the sheer number of games you need to play to balance out all the horrible teammates you're going to have just makes it feel like dog poo poo.

This is something that having just a plain elo number never had a problem with back in season 1 and 2. Yeah maybe it feels good to rank up, but when you're actively stuck in a tier/division or whatever or get demoted you feel like poo poo and just want to give up. Even if you're Diamond playing with Silvers, you're not going to get any kind of meaningful enjoyment out of grinding the 100 games needed to get to where you should be.

All the bronze or silver people in the thread, I can understand why they stay there. Grinding those games out is incredibly unfun. I got my main to Diamond like 2 months ago and I have no real urge to keep going up since I don't have anyone I can dynamic queue with. I play ranked on my smurf which is in Gold and it just feels so loving pointless trying to grind and tryhard at that elo since your team is so brain dead that you can't expect them to not throw a lead.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Lovechop posted:

does anyone have that video of the viktor rework where the guy tries to kill a bot with the laser and it just looks really useless. that poo poo was funny

nvm i found it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al-NV58KHiY

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lovechop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al-NV58KHiY

e:drat

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
It's really disappointing to hear that so many mages are worse off with the itemization changes. I main mid and I've already felt like these last couple patches, with the influx of multiple high-damage tanks with easy engages on each team who can easily gently caress you up, haven't been great for most popular mage midlaners. There's nothing worse than throwing out your full spell combo rotation and barely doing ~20% to some guy with a single MR item.

I had been doing ok with Malzahar at least, and it sounds like he's still going to be great, so I look forward to him being banned every single game.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

that video was revision 1 on the viktor changes, hes been tweaked a lot since then (the new laser moves faster than live but the explosion is slower than live, faster than the video iirc)

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Servaetes posted:

Agreed. Also Azir is a really fun champ and I hope they don't completely ruin him via Rework.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

blah_blah posted:

I played a lot of Morgana mid this season and am not really that thrilled about the itemization rework. RoA, Abyssal, and Zhonyas were/are really good items on her, and those items are losing a ton of AP between them. FCQ/CDR boots/CDR blues gave you 35% before anyways, so while it will be kind of nice to be able to run some MR in blues again, she's such a strong and safe laner that it's hard to imagine anything being better than CDR. Maybe you can get away without a mana regen item at all now, which might be nice ... but FCQ was such a good item on her and the OP passive gold will be severely missed.

I tend to play her as a support and build AD Reds, AP Blues and heavily harass pre-six. I get the AP Sightstone (10%), Lucidity Boots (10%) and usually a Banner of Command and either a Mikael's Crucible or a Zeke's Harbinger (10 and 10%). With those other items (Abyssal and Zhonya's) rebalanced as things that can be slot into that 10% 4-item support core, I can see a lot more games where I would get those two instead of a Banner/Crucible. There are other options as well. Having a lot of options for the game situation is good IMO, having more choices at the 10% CDR item threshold for supports will be good overall.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Aerox posted:

It's really disappointing to hear that so many mages are worse off with the itemization changes. I main mid and I've already felt like these last couple patches, with the influx of multiple high-damage tanks with easy engages on each team who can easily gently caress you up, haven't been great for most popular mage midlaners. There's nothing worse than throwing out your full spell combo rotation and barely doing ~20% to some guy with a single MR item.

I had been doing ok with Malzahar at least, and it sounds like he's still going to be great, so I look forward to him being banned every single game.

It really looks like this rework will split the mages into two groups. Champions that can abuse the surprisingly good base damage + AP ratios on the Hextech items to add a 5th spell to their rotation, and those who get nerfed.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Gibberish posted:

The problem with being in Bronze or Silver is that you have to grind way harder than you do at a higher elo to rank up, because often times your team will drag you down and waste your time. Yeah if you play consistently above your elo, you'll rank up, but the time you need to invest and the sheer number of games you need to play to balance out all the horrible teammates you're going to have just makes it feel like dog poo poo.

for every skill level there's going to be someone slightly better who drags themselves down with their lovely attitude or poor decisions, i am only in silver but i am skeptical that this phenomenon goes away as you rank up

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

golden bubble posted:

It really looks like this rework will split the mages into two groups. Champions that can abuse the surprisingly good base damage + AP ratios on the Hextech items to add a 5th spell to their rotation, and those who get nerfed.

I agree with this, and barring some early overtuning (looks like Vel and Brand may be in that group) I think the biggest benefactors of the patch will be AP assassins that can abuse the new items.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Radical posted:

i laned against a plat teemo only guy yesterday who did the mallet build on him. i was playing trundle and it seemed pretty awful and i killed him a bunch.

Picking Teemo into Trundle is probably the best way to ensure you lose lane. If you don't force cooldowns and get a huge upper hand before level 2-3, it's lost.

So far I've really dominated a Nasus with this build, and won lane enough to contribute to the wins against a bunch of others. The hardest matchups would be champions like Trundle, Xin, Jarvan and other champions with an easy gapcloser or way to keep you in place.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i still keep coming back to CDR on zhonyas/abyssal as the Biggest Deal out of all the mage-related changes, that's a buff to a lot of ap assassins and bruisers moreso than the mages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Tales of Woe posted:

for every skill level there's going to be someone slightly better who drags themselves down with their lovely attitude or poor decisions, i am only in silver but i am skeptical that this phenomenon goes away as you rank up

Of course it still exists, but in general once you get to mid-ish Platinum you'll probably find that people know how to close out games more often than not. I'd say that the number of times a team in Gold throws is like 30% of the time. Diamond 5 it's like 1% of the time.

• Locked thread