Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Man, I could literally talk about idols all day but I'm not sure if anyone who doesn't already know about them cares enough for a thread?

Yeah there isn't anything super accurate out there but those are pretty good. CG has the problem of being full of really wacky characters but the scenarios tend to be more realistic than the main Idolm@ster anime. I also haven't read/watched myself, but according to some interviews Million Doll is supposed to be a more detailed look at underground idol & fan culture in Shibuya. For the comedy option, I'd recommend AKB0048 over Xenoglossia if you want sci-fi idols, it's very well done and does a good job capturing the grassroots support between idols and fans kind of thing

I mean, there already is a general idols (/games) thread in ADTRW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AKB0048 is weird, because it's really just a Macross show. It even has a place called Ranka Star.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Takoluka posted:

well this is terrible, because 765 is garbage all-around, and cinderella girls are where it's at

Whoa. WHOA. No thanks.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
RE: Grand Kingdom Beta. There is no Cross Save so I'm out since I only preordered the vita version

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Still wish Namco makes a proper Idolmaster: Side M, and not just a mobile game.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Two new Uppers clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI2ZVGbYTnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SePtUeWTfw

Still looks :effort: as hell

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Still looks :effort: as hell

whether or not you love takaki's philosophies, you cannot deny that :effort: is that man's MO and has been for every brawler he's done

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Takoluka posted:

whether or not you love takaki's philosophies, you cannot deny that :effort: is that man's MO and has been for every brawler he's done

Considering the budget limtations and little experience on Tamsoft's part, Burst was a pretty enjoyable game, Deep Crimson has some issues but is solid all around, same as Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni. Is only Uppers and the Versus games where they shat the bed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I dunno, that dude just double-fist slammed that guy on the ground right in the butt. I feel like this a game just stupid enough to enjoy for the spectacle.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SpacePig posted:

I dunno, that dude just double-fist slammed that guy on the ground right in the butt. I feel like this a game just stupid enough to enjoy for the spectacle.

for real, i don't know how that looks boring or even less flashy than anything SK does

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Takoluka posted:

AKB0048 is weird, because it's really just a Macross show. It even has a place called Ranka Star.

Please do not confuse Macross with the inferior sequels.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ayukawa posted:

Please do not confuse Macross with the inferior sequels.

Elaborate.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Takoluka posted:

for real, i don't know how that looks boring or even less flashy than anything SK does

It's missing something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macross 7 owns though. Macrowns.

The rest are p. poo poo though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Yoko Kanno did the music for Frontier, so that automatically makes it the best.

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Takoluka posted:

Elaborate.

I really do not want to start another wall of text, or do something that causes this thread to get shut down like the last one was, so I will keep it short.

超時空要塞マクロス [Super Dimension Fortress Macross] was unique, original, and a game changer. The rest, even though they have beautiful animation and great music, are just inferior byproducts of a horribly redacted and retconned dispute attempting to repeat the original Macross formulae.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Takoluka posted:

The speed, everyone moves like they were underwater. Those are canned cutscenes and since those only target single enemies they get old pretty drat fast and far as I could tell it didn't even offer a significative advantage for the player.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Macross 7 owns though. Macrowns.

The rest are p. poo poo though.

Macross 7 needs like 23 less episodes also Basara to not be a giant arsehole the whole time.

I hope you didn't just call Macross Plus poo poo.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ayukawa posted:

I really do not want to start another wall of text, or do something that causes this thread to get shut down like the last one was, so I will keep it short.

超時空要塞マクロス [Super Dimension Fortress Macross] was unique, original, and a game changer. The rest, even though they have beautiful animation and great music, are just inferior byproducts of a horribly redacted and retconned dispute attempting to repeat the original Macross formulae.

Sounds like you remember love, and you're really mad that Frontier basically SEED Destiny'd original SDF. Which is okay, because, save for the insufferable Minmay, I feel a little similar. That doesn't change the fact that Macross shows are "mecha robot jets in space with idols who are also in space". SDF did it. Frontier did. Delta's doing it. AKB0048 is literally just that. SDF may have had a better story overall, but the original Macross writer/director guy makes all of these shows and loves idols, so you're seeing more and more of what he likes. It just so happens to coincide with a major current trend.

Also, same guy made Nobunaga the Fool, so I'm convinced any depth in SDF Macross was a broken clock.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

On that note, do you think someone is going to eventually murder everyone at Harmony Gold so we can get things like Macross Ace Frontier playable on our Vitas?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
macross plus is a ridiculously cool, well-written, well-animated and well-directed story with a fantastic soundtrack, and macross delta is fun

vkeios
May 7, 2007

the frontier movies are pretty good imo

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Takoluka posted:

On that note, do you think someone is going to eventually murder everyone at Harmony Gold so we can get things like Macross Ace Frontier playable on our Vitas?

Harmony Gold is not as bad as they are played up to be, and in the 80's they were actually very helpful to the west.

However, I do hope when I am speaking of Macross, you understand I am speaking from the viewpoint of a person who watched it as it was airing in 1982-83, not as a person who watched it again later as Robotech The Macross Saga, or the later various Subs and Dubs made through the years.

Also, loved the various Macross games on the PSP. Really helped me avoid interaction with my wife's extended family more than once.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ayukawa posted:

Also, loved the various Macross games on the PSP. Really helped me avoid interaction with my wife's extended family more than once.

Artdink's fighting robot games are pro tier.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Curious about it from the mentions i looked into AKB0048 on youtube and found the final of what i assume to be the second season. It is glorious and self-aware stupidity that reaches toward MGS3. It may not be bad, but it is something wildly different from Macross.

ayukawa posted:

Come to think of it, I never even picked up a copy of Monster Hunter on my PSP.
I was not in any way attracted to the cover art, and that really influenced me.
I don't think you'd like it. The only cute thing in it are the cat people, and the gameplay is very slow and all about wailing on big things with big slow weapons again and again.

https://youtu.be/HXc3JL6o3aI?t=277

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ayukawa posted:

Harmony Gold is not as bad as they are played up to be, and in the 80's they were actually very helpful to the west.

However, I do hope when I am speaking of Macross, you understand I am speaking from the viewpoint of a person who watched it as it was airing in 1982-83, not as a person who watched it again later as Robotech The Macross Saga, or the later various Subs and Dubs made through the years.

Harmony Gold is the reason that Macross is stuck in the East. Like, supposedly, the current show Macross Delta cannot be streamed in the West because it is a licensing clusterfuck that no company is willing to deal with. Crunchyroll has stated that when it comes to licensing shows, money is the least of their problems, so it's not a matter of paying HG or the Japanese side to get it to happen. Harmony Gold is just notoriously stonewalling. They repeatedly state how they support Macross and its fans but have actively ignored any and all requests for Macross Frontier to be licensed in the West while simultaneously launching a Kickstarter for Robotech Academy, something nobody asked for or wanted. On top of that disaster, they had to gall to add a donation tier where you could angrily yell at them while giving them money. They may have been great for Macross exposure to the US, but they're a cancer to the series now.

Mithaldu posted:

Curious about it from the mentions i looked into AKB0048 on youtube and found the final of what i assume to be the second season. It is glorious and self-aware stupidity that reaches toward MGS3. It may not be bad, but it is something wildly different from Macross.

It's different enough, but it is heavy in Macross influences, since that's pretty much what Shoji Kawamori is best at (aside from mecha designs, which he seems to have done every non-Gundam thing ever).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the easiest thing in the world to steal anime online.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

In Training posted:

:yeah:

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Mithaldu posted:

I don't think you'd like it. The only cute thing in it are the cat people, and the gameplay is very slow and all about wailing on big things with big slow weapons again and again.

The lack of cute definitely hurts it in my world.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In Training posted:

I like to pay for things I enjoy. :(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Watching that gameplay video again, it comes to mind that Monster Hunter plays as if the studio behind ARMA decided to make a Berserk game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Takoluka posted:

You are paying dearly for every second of anime you watch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a big hourglass next to the gates of heaven that's just labelled 'anime'

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ayukawa posted:

The lack of cute definitely hurts it in my world.

The mons are cute once you get to know them.

In the next game you'll get to play as a cat too.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Help Im Alive posted:

It's missing something
What could it be? It can't be boobs because rubbing your face in your cheerleader's cleavage is a mechanic.

Takoluka posted:

Didn't you just recently go on a tangent about people paying for DLC for games they enjoy?

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 2, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

Didn't you just recently go on a tangent about people paying for DLC for games they enjoy?

i was unaware that macross delta made me pay $15 per episode to see the girls in different outfits

it's almost like your argument is stupid

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Takoluka posted:

i was unaware that macross delta made me pay $15 per episode to see the girls in different outfits

it's almost like your argument is stupid
Ever heard of merchandising? How many different figures will come out for one character in various outfits for $30-120 a pop? Not even including other random poo poo for a series.

You spend money on things you enjoy. Others do the same.

It's almost like you actually lack the mental capacity to grasp this incredible concept.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 2, 2016

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Has this always been there, and I just didn't notice before? I didn't think you could push downloads to the Vita remotely (i.e. from the web store interface). Can you?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

MisterAlex posted:

Has this always been there, and I just didn't notice before? I didn't think you could push downloads to the Vita remotely (i.e. from the web store interface). Can you?

Not to my knowledge. Now I wanna try when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MisterAlex posted:

It's been there for at least a couple of years and yeah you can though when your Vita actually decides to check for stuff to download is pretty arbitrary.