Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ignimbrite posted:

Goddamnit, where are the friendly enemies so I can debuff the poo poo out of it

They've been around since 2.1. But it takes about a month to get each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
GODDAMN

man I really don't want to do my sylph quests...

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
So I just started on Diabolos(they didn't let me on Excalibur. Will transfer later).

Not sure what I'm doing. I'm a Roegadyn Marauder running around Limsa Lominsa just talking to people with exclamations and shields above their hands. I'm level 8 now so I guess I'm doing it right. I gather since an expansion exists, I should just blitz my way to endgame?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

NT Plus posted:

So I just started on Diabolos(they didn't let me on Excalibur. Will transfer later).

Not sure what I'm doing. I'm a Roegadyn Marauder running around Limsa Lominsa just talking to people with exclamations and shields above their hands. I'm level 8 now so I guess I'm doing it right. I gather since an expansion exists, I should just blitz my way to endgame?

The exclamation points in fireballs are main story quests, which will take you all the way to endgame. You should mostly follow those, but side quests are fine too if they look easy or give you something cool.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

NT Plus posted:

I gather since an expansion exists, I should just blitz my way to endgame?

Don't blitz, take your time and enjoy it. The base game's story doesn't really take off until around the third primal (boss), but just remember that the game without the expansion was good enough to keep an enormous amount of people entertained for literal years

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Yeah I'm kind of coasting along and the first thing I notice is wow this game is beautiful and runs super well optimized.

Admittedly I'm coming away from Dark Souls's lifeless shell of a world, however.

How's the crafting in this game? Is it worth getting into Armorer at all?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Crafting is its own entity, it's not like wow was where you only get to pick one thing and level it along with your character. All of the crafting classes are extremely interconnected and rely on materials that other crafting classes make and skills that other classes unlock, so you can't really level only one class; it's an all or nothing kind of thing. I'm a big fan of it, it's the most interactive inventory-item crafting method I've seen out of a game, it's way different than just picking something from a list and pushing a button.

Common advice seems to be to get a class to at least 50, then at that point start leveling crafting and whatnot. Gear is simple to get in the game, and if you're in a goon fc people will be happy to make high quality gear for you, so don't feel like you're missing out on it while leveling. Word of warning, crafting can be an immense gil sink until you figure out what stuff is profitable, but you'll slowly make your way up to the point where it seems pointless to craft something solely for the marketboard unless it'll give you 100k+ in profit

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think we need to gather a bunch of posts about crafting and make it into a FAQ.

NT Plus posted:

Yeah I'm kind of coasting along and the first thing I notice is wow this game is beautiful and runs super well optimized.

Admittedly I'm coming away from Dark Souls's lifeless shell of a world, however.

How's the crafting in this game? Is it worth getting into Armorer at all?

Curiously enough I saw a lot of similarities between this game's world and dark souls. FFXIV is gorgeous but it can be pretty bleak at times, I think it's closer to Dark Souls (especially Ishgard) than to the garish cartoon colorfulness of WoW which is what I was used.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Crafting is a dark portal to farming walnuts and making macros to process cream cheese. Dark and horrifying.

rudejerk
Jul 22, 2014

Actual Shit
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

I think we need to gather a bunch of posts about crafting and make it into a FAQ.

Sounds like you better get to it, Silver.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dely Apple posted:

Crafting is a dark portal to farming walnuts and making macros to process cream cheese. Dark and horrifying.

Pfft, macros, I process my cheeses by hand thank you very much :colbert:

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Why buy macro-manufactured cheese from the marketboard when all of my cheese is produced by hand right in front of you, the customer, and sold at the Idyllshire farmer's market like an honest, hard-working Eorzean? All of the money goes right back into the local economy instead of the purse of some Syndicate fatcat in Ul'dah.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I was not expecting Ozma. I barely even remember that fight.

So when are we getting Chocobo Hot and Cold?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Next guest boss I want them to bring in someone that was a party memeber like Gogo or Umaro

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How Final Fantasy 14 can thousands of dollars:

1) Make costumes of every major Final Fantasy character
2) Sell on cash shop

FF14's cash shop is so weird. It looks like it was designed by someone who had never before seen or heard of cash shops in games and was just told the basic concept of it. In fact, I'm willing to bet it's so poorly handled that at least one person reading this post isn't even aware that FF14 even has a cash shop. If someone at Square Enix were to sit down and put some actual effort and thought into it, they could make a TON of money. Instead they do nonsense like put these nostalgia costumes behind loving veteran rewards? It's just so stupid.

I mean, that's kind of the game in general. They took WoTLK era WoW's concepts and implemented them in the safest way possible. It honestly makes for a really mediocre experience. The writing is emotionally flat and unmemorable, the quest design and FATEs are very mediocre and outdated, and the entire 0-50 experience just feels like being trapped in a baby crib. There are even invisible walls almost everywhere where you can jump off and take serious damage. The graphics and sound are all completely excellent, but as seen with FFXIII that doesn't make for a very good game.

I didn't get to HW but I don't really care. The key I bought directly from SE's site doesn't work (going back to their site being unpolished) and apparently I have to grind through ~100 more dull, uninspired quests just to unlock the expansion content. There are no alternatives, it's the first MMO I've played that gates the majority of its content behind a single huge, completely linear quest line. That would be fine if the main quest line was actually good but it's mostly been just teleporting around and running to talk to some dude just far enough away from the waypoint to waste 5 minutes of my life, then wasting 5 more minutes returning to the Waking Sands.

I'll give SE credit for putting out the trash fire of 1.0 and doing a smashing job on the graphics and music, but ultimately ARR is just kind of bland, restrictive, and it really doesn't bring anything new to the table. It was a fine $20, but I'm not going to pay $15/mo for this game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Next guest boss I want them to bring in someone that was a party memeber like Gogo or Umaro

I want Umaro to be the mount for the moogle beast tribe. A Gogo fight where he just repeats whatever the party hits him with could be funny though.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

See; horror stories like that are a part of why I'm afraid of taking this to the long term. But I do wanna see what semblance of an end game this MMO has. I'll likely abide the advice that is to get a class at 50 before worrying too much about crafting.

Keeping up with professions in MMOs was much easier when I was a high schooler.

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 2, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
They can close the game now, the best race/class/character name happened already because I ran into a catgirl dragoon named Estinyan.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

You talk and talk about heirloom cheese, but when it comes down to it, your average gold-buying Eos user is filling my pockets with mass-produced cheese money!

Not really, no one has bought my cheese. :negative:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jellycat posted:

Why buy macro-manufactured cheese from the marketboard when all of my cheese is produced by hand right in front of you, the customer, and sold at the Idyllshire farmer's market like an honest, hard-working Eorzean? All of the money goes right back into the local economy instead of the purse of some Syndicate fatcat in Ul'dah.

only the highest quality artisan cheeses made from the finest ingredients, hand crafted with love for random people on the market board

seriously though, food crafting makes a surprising amount of money, but maybe not so surprising when you realize it's a consumable and people are constantly using it.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

There are no alternatives, it's the first MMO I've played that gates the majority of its content behind a huge, completely linear quest line.

This is actually a feature. XIV isn't a mmo with a coat of Final Fantasy paint on it; it's a FF game that uses an mmo as it's game mechanics.

Also you should check out Blade & Soul, a game where you literally cannot leave the starting zone without progressing the msq.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All my cheese are failed crafts, guaranteed!

You get the same high quality ingredients at discount prices.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

NT Plus posted:

See; horror stories like that are a part of why I'm afraid of taking this to the long term. But I do wanna see what semblance of an end game this MMO has. I'll likely abide the advice that is to get a class at 50 before worrying too much about crafting.

Keeping up with professions in MMOs was much easier when I was a high schooler.

I like this game a lot and I have a bunch of dudes at cap but I don't feel like this game has a lot of longevity. Square is following the same formula every single patch with either an 8 or 24 man raid, a whole 2 new dungeons, and some random bonus feature that 90% of the time ends up being garbage. Every fan of this game jizzes over how patches occur every 3-4 months but patches barely give you a weeks worth of content before you realize you're back to AFKing in the housing districts while doing the exact same roulettes every week to cap tomestones.

Every mmo has its doomsayers but even so I doubt that FF14 will be able to retain its playerbase into the next expansion, if it's even retained them for Heavensward. If my FC/server are any indication people are just getting really bored of the same old poo poo.

e: forgot to mention the endgame. Endgame for 99% of people at level 60 is doing the same roulettes every patch to cap tomestones and slowly buy gear as tomestones are capped weekly. Alternatively you can be part of the 1% who does savage and you can join a raid group that raids for twice as many hours as an equivalent group in WoW and yet is unable to progress in the 4 boss raid tiers square puts out because most of the people who play this game are awful.

ArtIsResistance fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2016

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

:ohdear:

Counterpoints anyone?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

It's really fun to dress up your catgirl

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NT Plus posted:

Counterpoints anyone?

Be normal and don't do endgame.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NT Plus posted:

Counterpoints anyone?

Find your own fun? I don't raid or grind my face off for tomes and i have a pretty good time of it. If you're the kind of person who has to be on the cutting edge you will run into the same problems you will have in any MMO, lack of content, consuming an entire patch in a week, and then back to AFKing. Don't be your own enemy and you'll do ok.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
There is a shitload of level 50 content from the entire 2.X patch cycle that is worth seeing and Square is getting generally stronger as they go despite some missteps.

Play the game, do things beyond pure quest grinding, play with Goons. If you get sick of it, stop and come back when you want more.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

My desires and aims are actually very simple! I like hitting things with various weapons as a jacked-as-gently caress gorilla man. So long as I get to do that, I think this game is a-okay! :shobon:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm surprised Ozma wasn't already in the game.

Looking at these screenshots, I can't help but worry that all these new complicated environments 3.0 + are more heafty in the graphical department and might play worse than what i'm used to in the normal version on DX9

Unless hardware or Microsoft issues prevent you from doing so, you should use the DX11 version. Barring any additional features, it has lower overhead than DX11, and very frequently runs better than an equivalent DX9 version. Any integrated graphics from Ivy Bridge onwards and all APUs have DX11 support.

NT Plus posted:

Counterpoints anyone?

Find your own fun. I do a bunch of raid and instance stuff at the beginning of a patch, and then towards the tail end, I do alt-levelling, gathering, sidequests, and mount farming.

I don't blame people for only wanting to do one thing and one thing only in FFXIV. It makes sense for these people to let their sub lapse until the next patch comes along. If it helps, it's entirely possible to think of this as an episodic Final Fantasy game. :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 2, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's not wrong, the game is starting to get pretty stale and predictable. Maybe Deep Dungeon will change things up a little, but I have a bad feeling it's just going to be Diadem 2.0.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

NT Plus posted:

Counterpoints anyone?
make this a game you play. not the only game you play

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

NT Plus posted:

My desires and aims are actually very simple! I like hitting things with various weapons as a jacked-as-gently caress gorilla man. So long as I get to do that, I think this game is a-okay! :shobon:

Yup, you're set for a while

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Zweihander01 posted:

This is actually a feature. XIV isn't a mmo with a coat of Final Fantasy paint on it; it's a FF game that uses an mmo as it's game mechanics.

Also you should check out Blade & Soul, a game where you literally cannot leave the starting zone without progressing the msq.

Eh, I don't think that's a fair comparison. MMOs by design have to stretch their content pretty far, they're not a contained experience like single player games and would be judged really harshly by SP standards.

There's also nothing wrong with a tutorial line or fenced in starting experience. My problem with ARR is that it made everything but the endgame, so tens to a hundred hours of gameplay, a boxed in hand holding experience. I can't imagine what a nightmare leveling a second character must be, there's almost no replayability at all.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I like this game a lot and I have a bunch of dudes at cap but I don't feel like this game has a lot of longevity. Square is following the same formula every single patch with either an 8 or 24 man raid, a whole 2 new dungeons, and some random bonus feature that 90% of the time ends up being garbage. Every fan of this game jizzes over how patches occur every 3-4 months but patches barely give you a weeks worth of content before you realize you're back to AFKing in the housing districts while doing the exact same roulettes every week to cap tomestones.

Every mmo has its doomsayers but even so I doubt that FF14 will be able to retain its playerbase into the next expansion, if it's even retained them for Heavensward. If my FC/server are any indication people are just getting really bored of the same old poo poo.

e: forgot to mention the endgame. Endgame for 99% of people at level 60 is doing the same roulettes every patch to cap tomestones and slowly buy gear as tomestones are capped weekly. Alternatively you can be part of the 1% who does savage and you can join a raid group that raids for twice as many hours as an equivalent group in WoW and yet is unable to progress in the 4 boss raid tiers square puts out because most of the people who play this game are awful.

I highly doubt this game would be doing well it all if it wasn't named Final Fantasy or wasn't competing with complete trash fires, including WoW itself, for the WoW clone mountain. The class and quest design, from what I played 0-50, is honestly not very different from release Aion which dropped like 8 years ago. What FFXIV has going for it is it's the only WoW clone on the market that figured out how to publish a content patch more than once a year. It's honestly kind of weird that this is the 2nd place winner but I guess the competition just keeps tripping over each other to make the most "hardcore" grognard games possible.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 2, 2016

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Starting about a month after each patch I just log in to chat and play other games in the background. Our whole small fc does it, to us ffxiv is just a chat program with dress up avatars and houses.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NT Plus posted:

Counterpoints anyone?

There's a bunch of stuff to do in this game after you're level capped without getting into endgame raiding/pvp. I mean a lot. But ArtIsResistance has a point.

Here's the deal with FFXIV: There's a shitload of stuff to do horizontally. Not as many as WoW in sheer amount but they're all fresh and feel more honest, for the most part. You can spend hundreds of hours tweaking you chocobo, you can spend hundreds of hours playing cards, you can spend hundreds of hours crafting, playing dressup, furnishing your house, doing some brutal grinds for your legendary weapon collection, doing hunts, etc. There's so much content in game in the form of the main scenario that by the time you finish everything odds are there'll be more stuff for you to do. There's Hildibrand which is like watching a comedy TV show and is a pretty unique quest chain when it comes down to MMOs - it's hit or miss but it seems to be a hit for the vast majority of players. You can spend a lot of time doing vistas, or fishing, or whatever. Lots of content.

The problem is that most of the non-combat content is not really particularly deep. Some do better than others. Crafting as people pointed out is a game in itself. Everything else has a beginning and an end - and a definite end, not a "oh ok they'll add more stuff next patch". At some point you'll have the weapon you want, the perfect chocobo, most of the minions you wanted, you'll have finished all the quests, etc. It'll take a long while, but it will get stale. None of the content is self-sustaining and they do a bad job extending the endgame of these diverse features. An infinite dungeon might have the potential to be, who knows? But it probably won't. Blizzard carried WoW's success on making a lot of PVE combat content patches frequently for most of its years (final patch of each expansion notwithstanding) because most of WoW's content was also pretty finite.

Once you reach the end of the road, FFXIV gets kinda stale and predictable like Fister said. The campaign is good, but the Raiding/PVP content is not as diverse as WoW's and it suffers from the exact same issue, it's very predictable and repetitive and there's only so much of the same you can take. It is there and the few pieces of content that exist in the game are good, but they're always more of the same. Everything feels polished, but small in scope, and therein lies the problem. Even housing in this game which is incredibly fun and one of the best housing systems I've seen has been severely limited by server issues and plot limitations.

Either way you have so, so much good stuff to catch up on that none of this matters to you in the slightest in the foreseeable future.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

UglyDucklett posted:

Starting about a month after each patch I just log in to chat and play other games in the background. Our whole small fc does it, to us ffxiv is just a chat program with dress up avatars and houses.

This is exactly how I played XI for the last two years I did. Game is ok, but what makes this my mmo of current choice is that my friends are playing it too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Reminder: Many of the doom and gloom unmarked quotes are from official forums spergs, and those few that are actual posts on here are by people that have been playing a HUGE amount of time. The game is enormous - I joined nearly a year ago and only finished the main storyline a couple weeks ago. There are hundreds of main quests, many more hundreds of optional sidequests, amazing places to see, an absolutely immense number of things to do that aren't just mindless dungeon grinding, cool people to hang out with, plenty of metagaming possibilties with doing things like cornering items on the marketboard, the most beautiful art direction in a game that I can think of, and some absolutely on point translation work

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
FFXIV is weird because part of its continued success is that it actually drags in new players - it's a proper, enjoyable Final Fantasy in its own right, and you can play through ARR + Heavensward at your own pace and just enjoy them for what they are. There's a deep well of people who would have never considered a MMO in the first place, but are actually interested in playing the Final Fantasy games and stick around as a result of good experiences. I play with a lot of people on a regular basis who started because of recommendations of FF14 as a stand-alone game, and it's how I phrase it to a lot of people who have shown interest.

Sentient Data posted:

Reminder: Many of the doom and gloom unmarked quotes are from official forums spergs, and those few that are actual posts on here are by people that have been playing a HUGE amount of time. The game is enormous - I joined nearly a year ago and only finished the main storyline a couple weeks ago. There are hundreds of main quests, many more hundreds of optional sidequests, amazing places to see, an absolutely immense number of things to do that aren't just mindless dungeon grinding, cool people to hang out with, plenty of metagaming possibilties with doing things like cornering items on the marketboard, the most beautiful art direction in a game that I can think of, and some absolutely on point translation work

Also, Masayoshi Soken might be the most talented video game composer in work right now. I'm like the biggest fanboy for him, but he's seriously so good at what he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Elentor posted:

Everything feels polished, but small in scope, and therein lies the problem.

Ahhhhh there it is. Your post was really solid and this line in particular stuck out to me and it's how I feel about the game. The content this game does release is some of the best/most polished content I've ever seen in an mmo. As lovely as I think their content release schedule is, what they do release is loving amazing. The trials in particular are probably better than anything in any mmo I've ever played just in terms of fight design, music, atmosphere, etc. Sephirot EX was such a loving good fight and it featured relevant band Powerman 5000 so how could you hate it?

Sentient Data posted:

Yes guy who just completed the main scenario a few weeks ago, you must have a great idea about the longevity and strength of the endgame of FF14 compare to those "official forums spergs" you unofficial forums sperg.

FF14 is a really fun game up until the point where you reach endgame and the problems become very apparent. It's not worth staying subscribed to between patches at that point but it's probably worth a month each patch

• Locked thread