Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RA Rx posted:

Aren't those 13 hexes, 2 more than your 11 jump?
0335 is 9 hexes, but 13 movement to go to and face north.
Going northeast gives you more strategic flexibility next turn, at +5 Movement Mod and +1 Heavy Rain the leg protection seems mostly unnecessary.

I'm moving at 6/9/6, from 1038.
All of those hexes are in range for that movement curve - it's just a matter of where is best to go to.
If northeast works then so be it.
I guess that makes jumping to 1133, landing to face 1232 a good idea?
Puts me in good range to shoot the urbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

My plan is to not engage the mechs right now with Ostscout/Gunsmith. I could get to them, but I really don't want to be the vanguard in two light mechs, unless everyone will be in there?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's no need.

Understanding will come.

Can some one with mech building skills find out what surprise the new lance is carrying?

The other option, looking at those moods, is they are about to turn on the other clanners, causing death from sub-orbital to rain down on the battlefield.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hm, looks like no one really has all that great shots on any of the approaching units yet. They're all at around 20+ hexes, which means long range, and have at least +2 move mods on top of the +1 from the storm against all shooting. And if your fast units charge up to meet them, then you're stuck with no cover.

I'd do your best to finish off all the infantry in the backfield that could becomes huge bothers, and take down the half dead vandals if you have really terrible anti-infantry weapons.

This turn is probably the last one where you'll be able to easily focus on infantry and planes.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 2, 2016

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
That's about my plan. Space marine 4 is just a bit too far and in tree-cover to easily hit when I could keep with my plan of swinging around the runway and hitting foot infantry 3 again and also shoot/kicking a plane. However, I will amend that slightly to head to 0838 to kick/shoot the Vandal instead of the Visigoth.

Then it's about-face and start shooting mechs.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

terrenblade posted:

Can some one with mech building skills find out what surprise the new lance is carrying?

The other option, looking at those moods, is they are about to turn on the other clanners, causing death from sub-orbital to rain down on the battlefield.

The mechs themselves seem to be standard Goshawk IIs, with the Star Captain in a standard Goshawk. None are custom jobs.

Edit: Scratch that, the Star Captain's Goshawk is custom.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 2, 2016

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Those clan mediums remind me of my blackjack configurations from mwo, and the lights are clearly pubbies. They don't need ace because they're going to convince our pilots to alt f4 for third person view.

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014
I think DivineCoffeeBinge hit the nail on the head, especially in light of PTN's comments before and after this turn: those Clanners will be trying to deny as much area as possible and box you in. Which would be a Very Bad Thing considering your primary means of escape is currently clogged up with exploding Revenants.

On a related note: How long is 30 seconds in Battletech rounds?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Loa Vecre posted:

I think DivineCoffeeBinge hit the nail on the head, especially in light of PTN's comments before and after this turn: those Clanners will be trying to deny as much area as possible and box you in. Which would be a Very Bad Thing considering your primary means of escape is currently clogged up with exploding Revenants.

On a related note: How long is 30 seconds in Battletech rounds?

3 rounds.

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014

So, regardless of whether or not the current round counts as the first of those, that's plenty of time for the OpFor to waltz over on the high ground and cut you off of your escape route. If you don't contest this, you'd be drawing your battle lines around XX32-ish, which would let the Clanners have the last word on who gets to leave in one piece. I'd recommend to try and take the first hill so you can secure your escape. The last thing you want when the bombardment starts is for some jerk Goshawk to jump into 2732 and be all like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Loa Vecre posted:

So, regardless of whether or not the current round counts as the first of those, that's plenty of time for the OpFor to waltz over on the high ground and cut you off of your escape route. If you don't contest this, you'd be drawing your battle lines around XX32-ish, which would let the Clanners have the last word on who gets to leave in one piece. I'd recommend to try and take the first hill so you can secure your escape. The last thing you want when the bombardment starts is for some jerk Goshawk to jump into 2732 and be all like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

I was writing up something along these lines, but hey, someone beat me to it! Its a concern to keep track of, certainly, and the hill is already being contested by the Suicide Light Star regardless of where the Goshawk SuperSentai Squad goes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'd like to imagine the Goshawks' plan is to stay in that formation for the whole fight and just envelop any enemy mech they can catch so they can blast and kick them to death.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Loa Vecre posted:

They can't really cut anything off. If the current clan 'Mechs all park in front of the escape tunnel, that means they're not moving. If they're not moving the Atlas one shots one of them on every turn, by itself.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

mcjomar posted:

I'm not sure what to do next tactically.
Do I jump to 1032 facing 1132 and fire my LPL at the urbie, or do I try to run to that hex (assuming I can run across the wreckage?), or run to 0335 and torso twist to face north?
Obviously I need to do something shooty, and that urbie is right there.
If I jump to 1032 or 1133 I'm in a semi-reasonable position, outside of terrible cover, to run for the hill next turn while pouring fire on the nearest mechs.

Running up around the spot you want to jump would be best imo. Get up to 5 hexes and throw a LPL on the Urban from within 14 hexes. This would leave you plenty of room to jump around the hill/forests next turn if necessary.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I can only really get a decent shot at the David or the Urbie this turn. Any priorities?

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Since elevation itself won't be much of a help, do you suggest the champion stay near the foot of the hill? Even if I get LOS on the urbanmech I'd be shooting it at 12s at least right now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Corponation posted:

Since elevation itself won't be much of a help, do you suggest the champion stay near the foot of the hill? Even if I get LOS on the urbanmech I'd be shooting it at 12s at least right now.

Somewhere like 1933 might be good. You get partial cover, aren't too constrained for movement, and can have good options next turn. I think shots on the urbie are actually impossible for you without getting in to medium range- 4 base + 4 long range + 2 running + 2 enemy movement + 1 hurricane = 13.

I guess I'd finish off one of the Vandals, most of them were damaged from the right arc last turn, and your gauss and PPC could KO one.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Flashman can't shot any Mechs, so I'm planning to take some more shots at those Visigoths from around 1938.

Any other suggestions?

Sair
May 11, 2007

You've got two turns or so before they're in your face, so spend the time wisely.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Gwaihir posted:

They can't really cut anything off. If the current clan 'Mechs all park in front of the escape tunnel, that means they're not moving. If they're not moving the Atlas one shots one of them on every turn, by itself.

Not to mention that they can't be sure there isn't backup units inside of the tunnel to secure an escape. They'd feel reall stupid if they parked their rear end in front of the tunnel and either ate an alpha strike from a hidden unit right in the back or had a Boomdoggie run up to sniff their rear end.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What if it's that the clans have ECM that can scramble the Revenants IFFs receivers (or the players IFF transponders)? Suddenly the players are viable targets and if clumped may have booby trap fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Velius posted:

What if it's that the clans have ECM that can scramble the Revenants IFFs receivers (or the players IFF transponders)? Suddenly the players are viable targets and if clumped may have booby trap fun.

The key innovation of the Rim World Revenants is that they use line of sight laser comms, which are basically impossible to jam. They have their own issues but the dogs aren't going to flip out and murder anyone they know.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Chameleon here, tentative orders are to get to 1040, shoot and kick some aerospace and get ready to engage the enemy mechs on the next turn

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The key innovation of the Rim World Revenants is that they use line of sight laser comms, which are basically impossible to jam. They have their own issues but the dogs aren't going to flip out and murder anyone they know.

They use laser comms to handle programming when things are well set up, but unless someone on the field here has a laser comm unit that will talk to all the doggies they are off network. When they go off network for any reason they fall back into a default programming mode, but who knows if this can be screwed about with via ECM or if the doggies here have different defaults because they are intended to live behind enemy lines, presumably a place that is always off network.

I want to see the clans employ some weird laser comm jamming technique, like reflective glitter that they can deploy to float about the battlefield that dazzles the receivers with bits of reflected signal from everywhere. Clearly they aren't in the visible range, so they're either in the microwave/infrared range or they'd just be regular old radios, or they're up in the UV range but that opens them up to interference from solar UV. Above that and you're working in xrays/gammas and those are really penetrating and thus hard to make work as a comm. So really any suspended particles that are highly reflective in the microwave/IR realm should do a good job of making it hard to run laser comms.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 3, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not unreasonable to expect that some or all of the Rim World mechs we're driving have them. It's not an actual piece of equipment that takes up extra space on the mech.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I believe it was explicitly stated in the first mission that all of the NRWR associated units, mercs included, are using laser comms because El Presidente is jamming all standard communication frequencies with his own dulcet tones.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A laser comm would be as simple as a few gimbaled laser pointers hooked up to a comm system's output jack. We're not talking about serious hardware here.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I know it isn't complicated, I just didn't recall if it had been made clear that everyone was using them or not. Taking the time to outfit however many mercs with them seems intensive, but I guess if literally every channel is blasting the Amaris News Network™ it probably happened.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Alright, unless there's any objections, Sally is moving to 2926, taking partial cover and pulling that light star away. Taking some potshots at the Vixen this time. That should give some nice side-shots as they come for me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, unless there's any objections, Sally is moving to 2926, taking partial cover and pulling that light star away. Taking some potshots at the Vixen this time. That should give some nice side-shots as they come for me.

You are like 10000% going to be picked to pieces up there and your team isn't going to be able to help!

Something like turning and heading to 2430 lets you get back closer to friendlies, so you can meet back up by the time the enemy lights reach you. You can also keep hopping down levels while staying in cover on coming turns.
From 2430 you can help kill a plane perhaps, which is about the only thing you can hit since you'll be at long range. (4 base + 1 storm + 2 running = 7s to even hit the immobile planes, infantry in cover or anything with a move mod will end up being an impossible shot.)

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Gwaihir posted:

E: Better yet, not worth deliberating like some arrogant clanners bidding away individual points. Just time to blow up mechs!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

E: Better yet, not worth deliberating like some arrogant clanners bidding away individual points. Just time to blow up mechs!

So you're bidding away your sense of pedantry, then?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

apostateCourier posted:

I cannot emphasize hard enough that you need to shoot the things that can shoot back.

No, really, it can't be overemphasized. Go read through the Trial By Fire mission if you want a concrete example of what happens when half the team tries to dick around with objectives in the middle of a fight.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's no need.

Understanding will come.

Haha we're so hosed.

I'm going to stop shooting at the planes, stay on this side of the runway for the cover and take all my shots (lpl and 4ml) at the heavy jump squad in 1535 because they need to be dead. Do I need to specify my torso twist in any particular phase?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

Do I need to specify my torso twist in any particular phase?

No, I'll twist you if it's necessary.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Voyager I posted:

No, really, it can't be overemphasized. Go read through the Trial By Fire mission if you want a concrete example of what happens when half the team tries to dick around with objectives in the middle of a fight.

This. It wasn't so much that we weren't communicating clearly with each other as we should have been, it was that partially as a result of that we shied away from combat, which ultimately bit us, quite literally, in the arse.

Never not shoot robots

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwaihir posted:

You are like 10000% going to be picked to pieces up there and your team isn't going to be able to help!

Something like turning and heading to 2430 lets you get back closer to friendlies, so you can meet back up by the time the enemy lights reach you. You can also keep hopping down levels while staying in cover on coming turns.
From 2430 you can help kill a plane perhaps, which is about the only thing you can hit since you'll be at long range. (4 base + 1 storm + 2 running = 7s to even hit the immobile planes, infantry in cover or anything with a move mod will end up being an impossible shot.)

Yeah, come on back now before it's too late imo

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hate to admit it, but I think I'm going to have to back off for one turn before moving in to light up some robots.
If I move in now, I'll be hitting on 10s I think, maybe 9s. Not exactly great.
On the other hand, if I hang back with everyone else for this turn, we can crush a few more aeros before turning the weight of fire on the enemy mechs next turn.

So if I turn and run to 1041, shoot some visigoths, kick 0941 if it lives, and next turn advance forwards again?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Gwaihir posted:

They could swap positions during their turn, but PTN wouldn't exploit the rules like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

RA Rx posted:

They could swap positions during their turn, but PTN wouldn't exploit the rules like that.

I agree. PTN may play to win, but he also plays the game to entertain and let people have fun. He isn't going to arbitrarily get the entire company killed by orbital bombardment by having all his units suicide themselves in front of the tunnel entrance just to delay their retreat long enough to be decimated.

Besides, these are Clanners we're talking about. It's far more likely that they would go on the offensive and try to pick off retreating units heading for the tunnel than it would be for them to do the sacrifice play. Gotta get them kills before the Warship gets into position and steals them.

• Locked thread