Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Come on man, no reason to be like this to a guy who is struggling

There's no better tips for phase two aside from learning the tells and dodging at the appropriate times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

NTT posted:

Those tree wielding dudes do ridiculous poise damage. It's not comparable to even ultragreatswords.

To be fair they are hitting you with a tree

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Lmao the tree spear guys drop...a pike.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NTT posted:

Those tree wielding dudes do ridiculous poise damage. It's not comparable to even ultragreatswords.

It's hard to tell since Poise doesn't work, but I'll go give it a shot on the tutorial Hollows later and see what happens.

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's no better tips for phase two aside from learning the tells and dodging at the appropriate times.

There are, as evidenced by the several posts detailing helpful strategies and tips for phase 2 to make it easier.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

NTT posted:

As do the dagger-wielding trash mobs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

il serpente cosmico posted:

As do the dagger-wielding trash mobs

I hate them so much

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

NTT posted:

yeah its hosed up you don't get their big stick, I was super bummed out to discover it's not actually a weapon

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I agree, but he was using that as an example of why talisman superarmor was ineffective. PVE you can always just fire stuff at range; it's a godsend for landing your point blank miracles against another player though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NTT posted:

FromSoft are assholes.

GIVE ME that drat tree! :argh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cinroth posted:

My parents told me that in Dark Souls 3 I could be anyone I wanted, so I became Lady Maria from Bloodborne

Edgy and brooding

Nothin personnel... kid...

:emo: :suicide:

:black101: ONLY AN HONEST DEATH WILL CURE YOU NOW :black101:

Self harm is very tiring

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vermain posted:

It's hard to tell since Poise doesn't work, but I'll go give it a shot on the tutorial Hollows later and see what happens.

There are, as evidenced by the several posts detailing helpful strategies and tips for phase 2 to make it easier.

I like to be terse in my strategies as it leaves room for improvisation and using any build you want, aside from fat rolling builds.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I've personally used the sunlight talisman to ignore wolf great sword R2s, 2 hits from a Dark Sword, and a Gundyr's charge. It's legit for getting those big sunlight spears in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like to be terse in my strategies as it leaves room for improvisation and using any build you want, aside from fat rolling builds.

"Try playing better" isn't a strategy, and isn't especially useful to someone who came to the forums with a post saying, more or less, "What are some useful strategies and tactics for making phase 2 of Nameless King easier to beat?"

NTT posted:

I've personally used the sunlight talisman to ignore wolf great sword R2s, 2 hits from a Dark Sword, and a Gundyr's charge. It's legit for getting those big sunlight spears in.

Sunlight Talisman's Poise boost is very noticeable, and I'd go so far as to say it's outright unstaggerable. The damage dropoff compared to Yorshka's or Saint's is pretty extreme, though.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm unconcerned with damage optimization against other players; even the sunlight talisman does plenty damage against another player; landing then is the hard part. The Saint talisman works just as well for poise in my experience. I've never been interrupted during a L2 unless I was killed outright, and this was after an hour of trying to land point blank sunlight spears in popezone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vermain posted:

"Try playing better" isn't a strategy, and isn't especially useful to someone who came to the forums with a post saying, more or less, "What are some useful strategies and tactics for making phase 2 of Nameless King easier to beat?"

I'm not trying to be obtuse or rude but the strategy of "dodge better" was entirely what I did since every other thing I tried didn't really make a difference and it was all up to how well I reacted and judged his tells, which is where the coffee came in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not trying to be obtuse or rude but the strategy of "dodge better" was entirely what I did since every other thing I tried didn't really make a difference and it was all up to how well I reacted and judged his tells, which is where the coffee came in.

Yes, but the issue is that literally anyone realizes if you get hit you should dodge better. When someone says "I get hit too much" saying "learn to get hit less" isn't valuable because the person already acknowledges this as a necessity. There has to be some material guidance.

Dodge better is indistinguishable from just saying "git gud"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There's no need to fight over me - I'm aware of my need to dodge better. Having it pointed out doesn't bother me, but neither is it helpful. Things like what side to strafe, when to attack, when to heal, etc. most certainly are.

Honestly learning more strategies to master the dragon fight is #1 on my list right now, because if I can make that fight effortless than I can start properly training for NK himself without being shaken about "oooh I've come so far, what if I mess up". Ideally I want the dragon to become an afterthought.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yeah I try to deplete the enemy's hp bar by hitting them with my weapon. thats my strat see you next time

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

this sounds a little like the arguments people make to defend the Star Wars prequel trilogy. i.e. the original trilogy is really good but not without flaws, Lucas tried to do something different with the prequels that people didn't want to accept at the time, and The Force Awakens is just a generic Disney product that rips off too much from the classic trilogy's formula.

theoretically the argument has merit. "maybe I was being too harsh"... until you go back and watch the prequels/play dark souls 2 and realize: they simply do not live up to their predecessors, nor do they compare to their successors.

Mods please rename this poster to SciFiMeltDown, ta.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GulagDolls posted:

yeah I try to deplete the enemy's hp bar by hitting them with my weapon. thats my strat see you next time

Certainly beats my initial strat of trying to negotiate with them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Honestly learning more strategies to master the dragon fight is #1 on my list right now, because if I can make that fight effortless than I can start properly training for NK himself without being shaken about "oooh I've come so far, what if I mess up". Ideally I want the dragon to become an afterthought.

Beating the dragon effortlessly means knowing what windows there are and exactly how much damage to get out of them.

You can normally get six hits out of a fire, two out of a lightning slam, one out of a double swing.

Always stare him down, its weird because that is something you never ever do for any other boss or enemy. Stay in front of him, no lock on, and just watch. There are no attacks he can do that will hurt you from there that are not telegraphed. Remember if he starts snaking his head side-to-side he is setting up for several attacks from the NK, which are often the hardest to dodge.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

As someone else mentioned, stay slightly in front of the head and to his right (your left), as this will typically bait out either a flame breath or a swipe. The swipes can be hard to read because of camera issues, so I generally just pay attention to King of Storms' neck and head. If his neck visibly moves after the first swipe, that indicates that NK is about to do a second swipe; same thing with a third swipe. King of Storms' neck will curve if NK is about to do a swipe, but will rear up if he's about to do a slam instead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Certainly beats my initial strat of trying to negotiate with them.

Siegward is that you?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Siegward is that you?

Hmmm. Hmmmmm... Hmmmmm Hmm? Oh!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Night Blade posted:

Shields are good for those quick attacking enemies who use a lot of fast swipes, like the Thrall thief guys, or the thief lizard men. They're usually hard to hit but if you block them once they bounce off of your shield long enough for an easy counter.
Deflection is a thing and that's also an advantage of greatshields. I'd go so far as to say if an enemy can deflect off your shield it's better than the stability of it because they won't swing again and you get to lay into them for counter damage.

Problem is finding a good shield for this. In DS1, the Eastern Iron Shield happened to have greatshield-tier deflection; attacks recoiled off it that wouldn't off shields in the same weight category. The EIS is back in DS3 and the description hints at it having the same benefit, but I haven't done a test with shields to know. I'd imagine that the stone shields (Stone Parma and Stone Greatshield) also have very high deflection, but that's always been a hidden stat. The rule of thumb that bigger shields are in bigger tiers usually holds, but I know in prior games wooden greatshields had less deflection than metal ones and the EIS was an exception in the other direction.

Blaziken386 posted:

Sidenote: why hasn't the front-flip ring made a return? I'd even accept a version that had the same number of invincibility frames as a normal fastroll. That animation looked cool.
Cheap bastard Soul of Cinder gets the ninja flips, but we don't. :smith:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
From, trolls

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Vermain posted:

As someone else mentioned, stay slightly in front of the head and to his right (your left), as this will typically bait out either a flame breath or a swipe. The swipes can be hard to read because of camera issues, so I generally just pay attention to King of Storms' neck and head. If his neck visibly moves after the first swipe, that indicates that NK is about to do a second swipe; same thing with a third swipe. King of Storms' neck will curve if NK is about to do a swipe, but will rear up if he's about to do a slam instead.

Strange thing about the side-to-side spear swipes is that you're safe underneath the dragon's neck. Roll through the first swing, and then if your weapon is long enough or has a vertical attack, you can catch the neck as it moves back for the second swing. The thing is that you don't case after the neck, because it'll just go over you and you'll miss. Instead stay still and time your attack to hit it as it moves. He'll often add a third attack- the lightning slam or a straight thrust onto the end and you can re-position to get some more hits, although you want to be careful.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Nakar posted:

Deflection is a thing and that's also an advantage of greatshields. I'd go so far as to say if an enemy can deflect off your shield it's better than the stability of it because they won't swing again and you get to lay into them for counter damage.

Problem is finding a good shield for this. In DS1, the Eastern Iron Shield happened to have greatshield-tier deflection; attacks recoiled off it that wouldn't off shields in the same weight category. The EIS is back in DS3 and the description hints at it having the same benefit, but I haven't done a test with shields to know. I'd imagine that the stone shields (Stone Parma and Stone Greatshield) also have very high deflection, but that's always been a hidden stat. The rule of thumb that bigger shields are in bigger tiers usually holds, but I know in prior games wooden greatshields had less deflection than metal ones and the EIS was an exception in the other direction.

The Havel shield has successfully deflected almost every enemy I've come across. Including the Golden Winged-Knights in Lothric and the giant Serpent Men at Archdragon Peak.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I tried out a caster character and it was rear end and poop. Thanks.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

qbert posted:

The Havel shield has successfully deflected almost every enemy I've come across. Including the Golden Winged-Knights in Lothric and the giant Serpent Men at Archdragon Peak.
Well yeah obviously Havel's has high deflection, it's a huge metal greatshield that's also covered in solid rock and weighs a ton. The Eastern Iron Shield is a 3.0 Weight light shield. If it deflects better than other light shields that could be a big deal!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Whips continue to be weird. I'm still loathing the horrible delay on attacks but then there's so many weird fringe benefits that aren't immediately thought of. For one whips don't ever deflect off shields at all which can be nice for shield-bearing enemies or to just annoy the piss out of other players. The weapon skill is weird though since it implies it bypasses shields but it... just doesn't. It'll hit multiple times in pointblank range though which can often flinch things into the entire attack, although obviously being in pointblank with a whip isn't favorable. The obvious strong point is the medium range you get compared to other melee options, it can be useful.

gently caress From for downgrading us from DS2 though, once again there's no plunging attacks, backstabs, or ripostes for whips. :argh:

I almost feel tempted to make a giant effortpost for whips like Babe Magnet did for the fists but I don't have the photoshop skills to make a cool, hip header image and I haven't done nearly enough PvP with it to have decent commentary.

Consensus: Whips are probably still bad but when you learn the quirks they can be kinda nifty.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Found the ODK's weakness. Estoc R1 spam.
From, I loved the Great Scythe in Dark Souls 1, why is it so mediocre in this game? Its' attacks are slow, it bounces off walls easily, you don't get hyperarmor, and it's base damage/scaling isn't that much higher to compensate.
The best usage I get out of it is in PvP, and that's only because hardly anyone uses it, so it's moveset isn't well known.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I like how the "dragon" NK rides is really just a big ol' crow that breathes fire. (a connection to velka perhaps?) we need more feathery dragons and dinosaurs in games in my opinion

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I like how the "dragon" NK rides is really just a big ol' crow that breathes fire. (a connection to velka perhaps?) we need more feathery dragons and dinosaurs in games in my opinion

:yeah:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sillybones posted:

I tried out a caster character and it was rear end and poop. Thanks.

What is the trigger for Patches showing up in Firelink? I actually met him in the Cathedral for once but now he never spawns when I go up the tower in Firelink.

VVV No? I didn't think you could even buy anything from him until he showed up in Firelink. All he did was lower the bridge and then get mad when he found out I killed the giant.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 2, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

What is the trigger for Patches showing up in Firelink? I actually met him in the Cathedral for once but now he never spawns when I go up the tower in Firelink.

I"m assuming exhausted all his dialogue, bought Sieg's armor and whatnot?

edit: Yeah you can buy stuff. Once you go back up that bridge(well I didn't kill the giant before) he does his usual oh man I'm sorry that I tried to kill you and fail please let us be friend schtick and yeah Sieg's armor was in there.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 2, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Reminds me of a giant archaeopteryx.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Patches:

Patches tricks you in cathedral by dropping the narrow gate.
Meet Patches on the other side of the room that you were initially crawling to by going into the cathedral rafters where he's all my bad it was just a goof
Find onion knight in the well where he mentions his armor
Go up top of Firelink tower after buying key, Patches locks you in tower.
Go out the bottom and find Patches inside Firelink top of the right most stairs as if you were going outside to go up tower.
Buy armor; give it back to onion knight

Don't know if you have to do exactly all that, but that was my experience.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
In further "why would you make the game work that way" news: the 'physical' defense / absorption stats - not the ones for slash / pierce / blunt, but the first ones - are actually for a fourth damage type, which is "standard". Somehow I never noticed this until someone pointed it out and it also makes no sense what the gently caress is the difference between slashing someone with a straight sword (standard damage) or slashing them with a katana (slashing damage)? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

In further "why would you make the game work that way" news: the 'physical' defense / absorption stats - not the ones for slash / pierce / blunt, but the first ones - are actually for a fourth damage type, which is "standard". Somehow I never noticed this until someone pointed it out and it also makes no sense what the gently caress is the difference between slashing someone with a straight sword (standard damage) or slashing them with a katana (slashing damage)? :psyduck:

nippon steel is sharper